[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

10 hours ago, dennislee said:

I updated ksp to 1.2.2. I was using 1.1.3 with RSS/RO/RSSVE with scatterer, and it ran very fine with 60fps, but after updating it and using rssve with scatterer, it gives very serious lag, and frame dropped about to 6-7 fps. FYI, i am playing with y50-70 laptop with i7-4710hq and gtx860m. 

does anyone know about solution for this?

Just to reiterate what my solution was, for the sake of word searches via Google or Bing, to fix the memory leak issue with the latest version of Scatterer while using RSSVE, go back to the previous version of Scatterer, .0256.

I don't know how to post a log when I don't have enough time to enable logging before my system locks up. Anyone suggest a way if it would be helpful for diagnostic purposes?  

Edited by Krazy_Kerbal
Grammar

Hi, guys, I'm trying to hook Pood's old OPM cloud pack into the current Scatterer. I've noticed that it uses the old file structure (complete with one .cfgs instead of two), so I carefully edited the eclipse configs into the standard .cfg and moved the folders. Seems like I wasn't successful. Is there a step-by-step?

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Hi, guys, I'm trying to hook Pood's old OPM cloud pack into the current Scatterer.

There's an official update ready & waiting for the multiple rings issue to be fixed. So unless you're really down with the current look of things it'd be worth just waiting. It's not just the file structure either - the config files themselves have changed with recent Scatterer versions since the last OPM visuals pack was released

Hey, I'm new to scatterer (pretty!!) and have a potentially stupid question: is there a way to use it and not have absolutely pitch black 0x000000 pixels everywhere nothing visible at all night sides of planets and moons? I get that it's probably realistic, but planing things in map view and the tracking station isn't particularly fun if half of the body is just black. From the screen shots visible here it seems it's like that for everyone, am I the only one who minds?

44 minutes ago, dtrauma said:

Hey, I'm new to scatterer (pretty!!) and have a potentially stupid question: is there a way to use it and not have absolutely pitch black 0x000000 pixels everywhere nothing visible at all night sides of planets and moons? I get that it's probably realistic, but planing things in map view and the tracking station isn't particularly fun if half of the body is just black. From the screen shots visible here it seems it's like that for everyone, am I the only one who minds?

There are several mods out there that can adjust ambient light levels. Planetshine is probably the best one for it as it gives more than the simplest options, but something like Minimum Ambient Lighting will easily get the job done if you just want straight to the point.

3 minutes ago, smokytehbear said:

There are several mods out there that can adjust ambient light levels. Planetshine is probably the best one

I use that, and it nicely illuminates vessels in the dark as much as I want, but the terrain stays black (except for city lights, for example). :/

23 minutes ago, smokytehbear said:

There are several mods out there that can adjust ambient light levels. Planetshine is probably the best one for it as it gives more than the simplest options, but something like Minimum Ambient Lighting will easily get the job done if you just want straight to the point.

...Scansat? At least that's what I resort to.

My PC is currently suffering with scatterer... I'd suggest you make a lite version BUT PLEASE keep the atmosphere and eclipses! I'm also ok with what Astronomer did with AVP.

Here are my PC specs:

Note: Scatterer alone works great! :rolleyes:

GPU: AMD RX470

CPU: AMD FX6300 (I'm stuck with this processor, unless I get Ryzen which is $500) :/

RAM: 8GB

On 2/26/2017 at 8:38 AM, B3AV3R_MAPL3 said:

When I have scatterer on,I can't see the cloud.

Can someone help me?

You need Stock Visual Enhancements for high end PC's or Environmental Visual Enhancements for the medium range.

Getting lag? You COULD get Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements or Para-Sci High-Performance Atmosphere Pack!

Edited by GrapeInvaders
Many MANY changes

Hey Blackrack... finally got a machine together that can run all of the eye candy. Just dropping a quick line to say thanks: as the kids might say "this is particularly fine".

Currently running it with SVE and SVT. Anyone have any potential recs for other eye candified mods to toss in I'd be happy to hear 'em.

I'll get you some screenies at some point :)

Cheers!

14 hours ago, _Astra_ said:

Dear blackrack tell please how do i change the near clipping plane in scatterer ?

Some early release had this setting but now it's gone. When i'am in IVA the most of wings is clipped out.

someone already asked for it back and Blackrack said he would consider putting it in again

On 02/03/2017 at 2:36 AM, daniel l. said:

@blackrack I'm trying to make scaled down planets (1km radius or less.) But i notice that the scatterer atmosphere effect when i apply it, Is only a few meters tall, How do I configure it to be higher than that?

ExperimentalAtmoScale

On 03/03/2017 at 8:48 AM, _Astra_ said:

Thank you, sounds good.

But if this setting still exist in config it can be changed manually i hope. Before the release happens.

it's removed, it's now using the default game clipping plane, I will put it back, however keep in mind it messes up the reentry effects.

8 hours ago, Kamik423 said:

Sorry, uhm, is there a fix for this?

KWWDYkv.jpg

Looks like Kerbin has a glass shell! Careful, You might crack it in re-entry! :P (Sorry, But I'm no help to anyone :sticktongue:)

Anyway. @blackrack Do you know if rendering say... 300 sunflares would have a significant memory impact?

On 04/03/2017 at 11:59 AM, _Astra_ said:

I am using KSP mostly as a flight simulator so it doesnt matter.

It has been been removed even from the settings file ?

it's been removed in general.

18 hours ago, Kamik423 said:

Sorry, uhm, is there a fix for this?

From the main menu, something like "alternative SQRT"

9 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Looks like Kerbin has a glass shell! Careful, You might crack it in re-entry! :P (Sorry, But I'm no help to anyone :sticktongue:)

Anyway. @blackrack Do you know if rendering say... 300 sunflares would have a significant memory impact?

I don't know, there might be a leak when loading the textures or something like that. Try it.

I don't remember if it was Scatterer or SVE, but in one post somewhere, Moho had an effect that went high over the planet, simulating Kerbolar interacting with Moho's magnetic field. It was removed because the creator (again, I can't remember if it's SVE or this. Sorry.) didn't like it. If it was this, is there any way to get it back? I quite like it.

On 1/30/2017 at 1:46 AM, HampstersINspace said:

Dose anyone know why this happens?

http://imgur.com/ezZS32j

http://imgur.com/tdFV7IjezZS32j.png

tdFV7Ij.png

Im having the same problem.

Stock KSP 1.2.2

Only mod installed is SVE with scatter and SVE scatter configs and scatter sunflare and EVE . No other mods are used.

Any Ideas ? Thanks

LOG:

[LOG 23:40:24.858] [Scatterer] Sunflare config found for Sun
[LOG 23:40:24.859] [Scatterer] Custom sunflare cannot be added to Sun System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "/mnt/data/games/ssd/linux/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameDataSscatterer/config/Sunflares/Sun/sunSpikes.png".
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at scatterer.SunFlare.start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[LOG 23:40:24.865] [Scatterer] disableAmbientLight: Found scaled sunlight
[LOG 23:40:24.865] [Scatterer] disableAmbientLight: Found sunlight
[LOG 23:40:24.865] [Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Mun for Kerbin
[LOG 23:40:24.865] [Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Minmus for Kerbin

SOLVED:

Scatter/KSP does not work well with symlinks in linux. Just remove them and it should load. I did not try hardlinks.

Edited by ManuxKerb
SOLVED

Hey, I've noticed a couple of things. I'm using the scatterer included with the latest SVE, which is 0.00300 as I understand it... so this may not actually be a real scatterer issue but it looks like one so I thought I'd start here.

I've noticed that sometimes the effects "disappear" when I'm far enough away from Kerbin... this is not something that always happens but it happens a fair amount. The magic altitude at which the effects disappear is 150km.

Every once in a while I get this:

n8Ii3XB.png

Any ideas? If there's any other information you'd like (logs etc) let me know.

As always, beautiful work. 

Cheers!

Edited by stratvox
Fixed image link wackiness