[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

7 hours ago, SirGreyliege said:

I've gone in and deleted both scatterer configs and I'm still unable to change any settings. The advanced menu still reports that there is a Module Manager cfg.

I've been uninstalling and reinstalling all three graphics mods to see if maybe some update needs to get through.

Hope you can help and thanks for reading.

Have you tried a full reinstall of everything using ckan? The changed config of AVP in 4.11 for scatterer doesn't block changes anymore after the update. Those lines were removed that interfere with scatterer.

Maybe something is still using old settings for you or stuck in an old config you removed? 

I'm afraid the same problem persists using the dll from page 375. https://imgur.com/a/Hzpnlqf

I don't know if it's reproducible, but the chain of events this time (last time was probably pretty similar if memory serves) was:

1) Enter Kerbin's sphere of influence from interplanetary space with the Kerbin periapsis around 70km in a hyperbolic trajectory

2) Warp to lower altitude, 1000km or so, and do a combined retrograde/radial out burn of around 750m/s to drop the periapsis to 35km while changing the orbit to an ellipse

3) Undock, then switch to other craft using Easy Vessel Switch

4) Visual glitch occurs

Hopefully this'll help! :)

Edited by Black-Two-

1 hour ago, Black-Two- said:

I'm afraid the same problem persists using the dll from page 375. https://imgur.com/a/Hzpnlqf

I don't know if it's reproducible, but the chain of events this time (last time was probably pretty similar if memory serves) was:

1) Enter Kerbin's sphere of influence from interplanetary space with the Kerbin periapsis around 70km in a hyperbolic trajectory

2) Warp to lower altitude, 1000km or so, and do a combined retrograde/radial out burn of around 750m/s to drop the periapsis to 35km while changing the orbit to an ellipse

3) Undock, then switch to other craft using Easy Vessel Switch

4) Visual glitch occurs

Hopefully this'll help! :)

Can you test if this happens by skipping straight to step 3? I'm not going to do all these steps if it's not guaranteed to reproduce it :D since I already did a bunch of re-entries from interplanetary space to no avail.

Edited by blackrack

14 hours ago, Kerdel said:

Have you tried a full reinstall of everything using ckan? The changed config of AVP in 4.11 for scatterer doesn't block changes anymore after the update. Those lines were removed that interfere with scatterer.

Maybe something is still using old settings for you or stuck in an old config you removed? 

Well, I removed everything with CKAN. Reinstalled all three. I'm not sure if it's leaving behind a config or something.

I still have the same error and nothing changes. In fact, sometimes it says Kerbin has no oceans. Which is interesting.

9 hours ago, SirGreyliege said:

Well, I removed everything with CKAN. Reinstalled all three. I'm not sure if it's leaving behind a config or something.

I still have the same error and nothing changes. In fact, sometimes it says Kerbin has no oceans. Which is interesting.

Sorry if this is going to be long but maybe it's useful for some people when i'm clearly. No i meant everything reinstall, uninstal ksp on steam, remove the ksp folder in windows under steam to clear everything and leftovers from mods. Type in windows start menu  %appdata%, click a folder back to locallow i think it's called. There is another folder called squad in it remove it as well. (If i'm right, can't check i'm not home until in 9 hours) Then you have no traces of ksp on your pc.

install ksp on steam, which creates the ksp folder again in your steam folder.

I like to start up ksp now for the settings and do some modifications before I install the mods next with ckan

Now you can close ksp and install the 3 mods with ckan, to be sure you do nothing wrong instal Astronomer Visual Pack first. Select nothing else and instal. It will prompt you which texture size, select one and then scatterer and eve redux latest versions will be installed. You also need to choose a scatterer config for the sun flare. I like to choose scatterer default config flare. By the way you also use 1.11.2 right? 

Now start up the game and try make changes in scatterer, what I do is click on scatterer icon while in kerbal space center in a tutorial and choose a preset and apply. Then make some custom changes and close scatterer. Dont apply again it's only for the presets. 
Quit to menu and do whatever you like in ksp Everything should work now!

Let me know if i missed something or it's still not fixed and what you did different maybe 

21 hours ago, blackrack said:

Can you test if this happens by skipping straight to step 3? I'm not going to do all these steps if it's not guaranteed to reproduce it :D since I already did a bunch of re-entries from interplanetary space to no avail.

I tried and the glitch didn't show up. I launched a craft into a 200x200km orbit, undocked the command capsule (which is the same capsule as in both previous instances, although the rest of the craft is different) and switched between vessels, both with Easy Vessel Switch and the stock way, multiple times and nothing. I did the full undock, switch, redock procedure multiple times on both day and night sides of Kerbin and nothing.

I have some probes coming back to Kerbin "soon" though (career-save), and if nothing shows up then I'll launch the original craft to Duna again and see if the problem shows up then. :)

Edited by Black-Two-

On 5/30/2021 at 11:59 AM, blackrack said:

Can you try without USI Life support mods and see if it goes away? I might test them to see if this happens but for now I don't get this issue. Oh and if you haven't already, test with the .dll linked here:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip19x-110x-111x-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-00770-17052021/&do=findComment&comment=3976312

Hi @blackrack,

I found a way to reproduce this https://imgur.com/v2j4bgs visual bug! (tested a lot to narrow it down to this) 

Install Eve Redux (stock config and AVP config both tested,  the problem is purely EVE Redux and scatterer together without any other mods) and scatterer (both latest version) .

Make sure it's night at Space Center. Go to the mun with a kerbal (can use debug menu for this) and click "Space Center"

I had no bugs in my save until I landed on the mun and stood there with my kerbal and pressing "Space Center" at night in Space Center.

I have removed all USI related mods and the tech tree but the issue still persist. I also replaced the scatterer.dll you recommended. 

Both solutions didn't change anything, Removing EVE Redux did.

Hopefully this is useful information for you

Edited by Kerdel
beginner forum user fault

1 hour ago, Kerdel said:

Hi @blackrack,

I found a way to reproduce this https://imgur.com/v2j4bgs visual bug! (tested a lot to narrow it down to this) 

Install Eve Redux (stock config and AVP config both tested,  the problem is purely EVE Redux and scatterer together without any other mods) and scatterer (both latest version) .

Make sure it's night at Space Center. Go to the mun with a kerbal (can use debug menu for this) and click "Space Center"

I had no bugs in my save until I landed on the mun and stood there with my kerbal and pressing "Space Center" at night in Space Center.

I have removed all USI related mods and the tech tree but the issue still persist. I also replaced the scatterer.dll you recommended. 

Both solutions didn't change anything, Removing EVE Redux did.

Hopefully this is useful information for you

Thanks, that does indeed reproduce it, I will look into this issue and hope it fixes the other ones as well.

I hope I am not adding to the seemingly-overwhelming amount of scatterer users on this forum, but I would like to inform something, not really even a bug.

I have discovered that Scatterer, upon loading a scene, likes to turn the stock FXAA all the way down. 

As a user of Scatterer who used to use the stock FXAA and the SMAA from Scatterer, I feel like this is a downgrade to visual quality. And if anyone says that using 2 layers of Anti-aliasing is unnecessary, take a look at this:

• Scatterer SMAA only, stock FXAA disabled (Scatterer likes to set it to this)

img%5D

• Scatterer SMAA with 8x stock FXAA (I have to manually go to settings and set this every time)

img%5D

Here's a link to a folder with 2 screen recordings comparing the 2 with the camera in motion.

Especially looking at the Astronaut complex, you can see that double-layer AA looks much better.

Some might argue that having the stock FXAA on with the Scatterer SMAA creates an enormous weird shadow. However, that is circumstantial to when the 2nd setting in the Depth Buffer Mode is activated (Merge depth pre-pass into main depth.... etc)

img%5D

As someone who owns an instagram account posting screenshots (and also simply just a visuals-phile), I want the clearest looking imagery possible. Unless there is a reason that the stock FXAA shouldn't be on, such as a technical issue or a major performance hit (Which I doubt bc its FXAA), I plead for whatever is set to disable the stock AA be removed on the next update.

Instead, the feature can be set for the Merge Depth pre-pass setting, where if it is set, it gives a warning or disables the stock AA automatically, etc. 

Regardless, I hope all of the devs and whoever read my forum post all the way down here a great rest of their day.

Edited by kerbalxploder

On 6/4/2021 at 2:33 AM, blackrack said:

@kerbalxploder
read the changelog and read this:

Hint: look at the horizon, look at mountain's edges in your screen

That makes sense. I always thought the AA in the settings was post-processing, I learn something new every day.

I never really paid attention to the horizon as much as I did to the space center and my spacecraft, though.

Is there a way that you can add multiple layers of AA to scatterer? Perhaps use both MSAA and SMAA, or maybe 2 or more layers of SMAA? (I know I'm obsessed with this, but I feel like this is the only way to make my images look decent...)

Edited by kerbalxploder

1 hour ago, kerbalxploder said:

That makes sense. I always thought the AA in the settings was post-processing, I learn something new every day.

I never really paid attention to the horizon as much as I did to the space center and my spacecraft, though.

Is there a way that you can add multiple layers of AA to scatterer? Perhaps use both MSAA and SMAA, or maybe 2 or more layers of SMAA? (I know I'm obsessed with this, but I feel like this is the only way to make my images look decent...)

If you want MSAA so badly, just disable depth buffer mode in scatterer.

Alternatively you can recompile scatterer with just this line removed and enjoy the artifacts: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/blob/master/scatterer/Scatterer.cs#L113

On 6/6/2021 at 11:56 PM, kerbalxploder said:

May be you should try to add KS3P or TUFX to the mix? IMHO it looks quite descent even without MSAA.

Spoiler

ACtC-3cY_GMpqXBOyn345lkPEHbopJBE_IV5X3SB

ACtC-3dKAZzyjruUIL9cX5fViObzrGjZLKxr0aAR

Edited by evileye.x

22 minutes ago, Hohmannson said:

It certainly does. Which TUFX antialiasing mode do you use? I want mine look that good too.

I use KS3P with custom config:

Spoiler

KS3P
{
    {
        name = MAIN
        author = EEX
                scene = MainMenu, SpaceCenter, VAB, SPH, TrackingStation, Flight, EVA, IVA, MapView
        Anti_Aliasing
        {
            fxaa_preset = ExtremeQuality
        }
        Ambient_Occlusion
        {
            ambient_only = True
            enabled = False
        }
        Depth_Of_Field
        {
            aperture = 4.08
            focal_length = 103
            use_camera_fov = True
            enabled = False
        }
        Motion_Blur
        {
            frame_blending = 0.239
            sample_count = 4
            shutter_angle = 1
            enabled = False
        }
        Eye_Adaptation
        {
            adaptation_type = Fixed
            high_percent = 92.17
            key_value = 0.05
            log_max = 16
            log_min = -4
            low_percent = 8.1
            max_luminance = 8
            enabled = False
        }
        Bloom
        {
            bloom_anti_flicker = True
            bloom_intensity = 1.2
            bloom_radius = 1.81
            bloom_soft_knee = 0.75
			bloom_threshold = 1.2
        }
        Color_Grading
        {
            Basic
            {
                contrast = 1.1
                saturation = 1.1
            }
            Mixer
            {
            }
            Wheels
            {
                mode = Log
            }
            Curves
            {
                Master
                {
                    key = 0, 0, 1, 1
                    key = 1, 1, 1, 1
                }
                Red
                {
                    key = 0, 0, 1, 1
                    key = 1, 1, 1, 1
                }
                Green
                {
                    key = 0, 0, 1, 1
                    key = 1, 1, 1, 1
                }
                Blue
                {
                    key = 0, 0, 1, 1
                    key = 1, 1, 1, 1
                }
                Hue_Versus_Hue
                {
                    zero = 0.5
                    loop = True
                }
                Hue_Versus_Saturation
                {
                    zero = 0.5
                    loop = True
                }
                Luminosity_Versus_Saturation
                {
                    zero = 0.5
                }
                Saturation_Versus_Saturation
                {
                    zero = 0.5
                }
            }
            Tonemapper
            {
            }
        }
        User_Lut
        {
            lut = KS3P/Textures/Fallback
            enabled = False
        }
        Chromatic_Abberation
        {
            intensity = 0.08
            texture = KS3P/Textures/SpectralLut_BlueRed
        }
        Grain
        {
            colored = False
            intensity = 0.252
            luminance_contribution = 1
            enabled = False
        }
        Vignette
        {
            mask = KS3P/Textures/Fallback
            rounded = True
            enabled = False
        }
        Screen_Space_Reflection
        {
            enabled = False
        }
    }
}

Hello. I'm having some shading issues with 0770 that do not happen with 0632. For the images and log files below the only change was a full swap out of the scatterer folder, between 0632 and 0770.

Here's the shading issue, this is 0770:

Spoiler

You can see the issue on the capsule:

rHLh0Lr.jpg

ooFaPzX.jpg

And here I've tried to re-create the first shot as closely as possible, on 0632:

Spoiler

T7HnHo2.jpg

Is there a default setting change between 0632 and 0770? All I'm doing above is swapping out the entire scatterer folder, and I've never changed any scatterer settings.

Also, just to throw more info out there, this problem shows up much worse on other, non-stock parts. This installation has been pared down to my bare minimum for KSP, but still shows the issue.

This folder has log files for both versions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B0Lj1t8ukVlmknyqNuppxIMy2H5KVeRt?usp=sharing

Thanks for any advice!

58 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

advice

It seems it's DX11 shadows fix isn't working. I had it too, but was blaming my overmodded install. Do a test. If "d3d11ShadowFix = True" is enabled in your config and it doesn't help, then install Parallax plugin https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/releases/tag/1.2.3 (only the 15.5mb one, it won't hurt performance) and see if it goes away. 

11 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hello. I'm having some shading issues with 0770 that do not happen with 0632. For the images and log files below the only change was a full swap out of the scatterer folder, between 0632 and 0770.

Here's the shading issue, this is 0770:

Reveal hidden contents

You can see the issue on the capsule:

rHLh0Lr.jpg

ooFaPzX.jpg

And here I've tried to re-create the first shot as closely as possible, on 0632:

Reveal hidden contents

T7HnHo2.jpg

Is there a default setting change between 0632 and 0770? All I'm doing above is swapping out the entire scatterer folder, and I've never changed any scatterer settings.

Also, just to throw more info out there, this problem shows up much worse on other, non-stock parts. This installation has been pared down to my bare minimum for KSP, but still shows the issue.

This folder has log files for both versions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B0Lj1t8ukVlmknyqNuppxIMy2H5KVeRt?usp=sharing

Thanks for any advice!

10 hours ago, Hohmannson said:

It seems it's DX11 shadows fix isn't working. I had it too, but was blaming my overmodded install. Do a test. If "d3d11ShadowFix = True" is enabled in your config and it doesn't help, then install Parallax plugin https://github.com/Gameslinx/Tessellation/releases/tag/1.2.3 (only the 15.5mb one, it won't hurt performance) and see if it goes away. 

That's not what the shadow fix fixes.

What changed between 0632 and 0770 is the default quality settings. If you want the same settings as before, go in 0770  in the scatterer KSC menu (small blue globe icon in the corner) and select the very high preset, that will get you the same shadows as 632 had by default.

I've opted for a lower preset by default for performance but everything is still there. Most people can't run 8k shadowmaps and 50km shadows so it doesn't make sense to have it enabled by default.

Edited by blackrack

I've retrieved (some of) my probes and I think I've narrowed the problem I've been having down a little bit. It's craft-independent and it happens if I switch to a craft that is about to enter Kerbin's sphere of influence from the Sun and

1) keep the craft's Kerbin periapsis above Kerbin's atmosphere and then enter Kerbin's SoI, and

2) decouple/undock while on Kerbin's night side, while in the shadow, or

3) perform a maneuver node burn that drops the periapsis into the atmosphere.

Of course, it could be due to something else entirely, but these are my most likely sources this far. I still have probes coming back though (JNSQ is big...) so I'll keep testing! :)

Edited by Black-Two-

On 6/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, blackrack said:

That's not what the shadow fix fixes.

What changed between 0632 and 0770 is the default quality settings. If you want the same settings as before, go in 0770  in the scatterer KSC menu (small blue globe icon in the corner) and select the very high preset, that will get you the same shadows as 632 had by default.

I've opted for a lower preset by default for performance but everything is still there. Most people can't run 8k shadowmaps and 50km shadows so it doesn't make sense to have it enabled by default.

Having the same issue here, I switch to the very high preset and it's fine, but I turn some of the settings back off (like underwater caustics, and some other stuff I can't check rn) and the shadows are back to being all wierd and funky. Is there a specific setting that affects this? I don't think I can afford running at the very high preset :D

4 hours ago, space_powder said:

Having the same issue here, I switch to the very high preset and it's fine, but I turn some of the settings back off (like underwater caustics, and some other stuff I can't check rn) and the shadows are back to being all wierd and funky. Is there a specific setting that affects this? I don't think I can afford running at the very high preset :D

Try to copy the shadow settings from the "high" and not the "very high" preset into the "low" preset or your own custom settings:

ZfTj5YU.png

If this is still too slow, drop the shadows distance to 10000 and the shadowmap resolution to 2048. That will probably do it.