[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Ok @blackrack tks for the speedy reply.

not at my pc rn, but I can say that scatterer  is not functional for me. I copied everything from the .30b zip from space dock into my game data. Scatterer menu opens but no sign of clouds in the flight scene or elsewhere. Atmosphere seems to be duller but that’s about it. I can find logs when I get back.

runing ksp 1.4.3 and I had MM reload everything, plus did a fresh install of scatterer.

tks

[Edit] Im a twit

Edited by Mark Kerbin

On 4/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, TheKurgan said:

KSP 1.3.1 with scatterer version Version 0.0324 and BDAc version 1.0.0

Ocean shaders are on.

Here is a video 

KSP 1.3.1 BDAc Camera Comparison with scatterer

@blackrack I am just curious if you had a look? 

In 1.3.1 the BDAc target camera was fine, and in 1.4.* the same camera is showing this weird issue when Scatterer is installed.

Is there a chance you could have a look and see if this is fixable on your end, or if BDAc has to change something WRT the camera. 

Thanks.

Edited by TheKurgan

7 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Ok @blackrack tks for the speedy reply.

not at my pc rn, but I can say that scatterer  is not functional for me. I copied everything from the .30b zip from space dock into my game data. Scatterer menu opens but no sign of clouds in the flight scene or elsewhere. Atmosphere seems to be duller but that’s about it. I can find logs when I get back.

runing ksp 1.4.3 and I had MM reload everything, plus did a fresh install of scatterer.

tks

Scatterer doesn't provide clouds, it (wait for it ...) scatters the light simulating atmospheric haze and related optical effects.

3 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

Scatterer doesn't provide clouds, it (wait for it ...) scatters the light simulating atmospheric haze and related optical effects.

Wait. What thread am I on...

[Edit] Great Kraken I am clearly having a massive brain failure.

Please disregard all previous posts. Guess who removed some important folders...

Edited by Mark Kerbin

I'm currently getting some crap performance in KSP, and I'm trying to track down the causes across my visual mods. Does anyone know what kind of impact on performance each option in the Scatterer config has?

14 minutes ago, Rohaq said:

I'm currently getting some crap performance in KSP, and I'm trying to track down the causes across my visual mods. Does anyone know what kind of impact on performance each option in the Scatterer config has?

Scatterers ocean shaders are the hungriest in terms of performance. Disable them and ocean refractions.

also, kopernicus currently is causing a big performance issues with mid to low range computers. A fix is being tested however. So if you have kopernicus, it may also be the culprit 

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Scatterers ocean shaders are the hungriest in terms of performance. Disable them and ocean refractions.

also, kopernicus currently is causing a big performance issues with mid to low range computers. A fix is being tested however. So if you have kopernicus, it may also be the culprit 

Dang, it could be Kopernicus, I've been disabling a bunch of other visual mods, including Scatterer, EVE, and associated packs for it, but I've only been seeing a few more FPS in performance.

I'll keep an eye on Kopernicus' updates, and maybe see if there's some configuration changes I can make there.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:08 AM, blackrack said:

Please be more specific when reporting your issue. Are those scatterer sunflares? If they aren't centered on associated star what are they centered on? How did you modify the config?

Actually, my intent was to ask for documentation of sunflare config values so I can understand them. I am having an issue, but I can't be certain that its a bug or just my config.

However, in the interest of answering your questions: Yes, these are scatterer sunflares. They don't appear to centered on anything, just floating off in space next to the associated stellar body. I'm working off of @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures RSS Constellations / CVO configs, but at this point I've modified the rest of the universe so heavily it wouldn't be accurate to say that this is actually RSSC/CVO. Call it a personal fork.

At any rate, using the original sunflare configs, the at least some of the sunflares don't center on their star. I assume that their must be a config setting to adjust placement, because how else could it be wrong? So, that brings me back to my original question of what each sunflare config setting actually does and what the input ranges are. I guess I'm looking for a fishing lesson, not just a fish. :wink:

Edited by Omnipius

My sun flare seems to be overlayed with the standard KSP sun, for example, when it's partially obscured by my ship, you can see the correct flare, but in an uncovered view, it just seems like the stock sun. 

https://imgur.com/a/qXW8Y8W

I have the latest version of all mods, and have AVP, with all its requirements, as well as KS3P, Distant Objects, Planetshine, and Texture Replacer for a sky box. What can I do to get Scatter's sun flare to pop up? Or is it another mod conflicting? 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, Galileo said:

Well, I don't mean to start an argument about what constitutes a "mid to low range" but my system is a Core i7-6820HK with a GTX1070 8GB video card. I can run THE WITCHER 3 at 1080p and Ultra graphical settings at a rock-solid 60 FPS. Most other recent-gen games run similarly well, and older titles even better. 

In my KSP 1.4 - 1.4.3 Career save I have a moderately complex station around the Mun. With Kopernicus installed (along with StockVisualTerrain), I get 11 fps in physics range of this station. When I remove Kopernicus from my GameData folder I get 21 - 25 fps with the same station.  *shrug* 

KSP: 1.3.2 Windows 64bit

Problem: Scatter cuts out from alititude of about 160 km to 250 km

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0331b

Any visual pack

Rescale! 6.4x

And many more.

Reproduction steps:

Launch a rocket into an altitude that passes above 160 km, and scatterer seems to cut out completely.

Note: I am playing on the unusual resolution of 3440*1440

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vwtnvpwzby1mru/output_log.txt?dl=0

Link to Youtube video showcasing the bug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkumYzrTdm4&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Javascap

3 hours ago, LameLefty said:

Well, I don't mean to start an argument about what constitutes a "mid to low range" but my system is a Core i7-6820HK with a GTX1070 8GB video card. I can run THE WITCHER 3 at 1080p and Ultra graphical settings at a rock-solid 60 FPS. Most other recent-gen games run similarly well, and older titles even better. 

In my KSP 1.4 - 1.4.3 Career save I have a moderately complex station around the Mun. With Kopernicus installed (along with StockVisualTerrain), I get 11 fps in physics range of this station. When I remove Kopernicus from my GameData folder I get 21 - 25 fps with the same station.  *shrug* 

You cannot cannot compare KSP to the Witcher. The Witcher is not calculating physics of hundreds of parts, hogging your CPU, and is on what I assume is a custom engine. It’s apple and oranges. Let’s not derail the thread, though. 

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

You cannot cannot compare KSP to the Witcher. The Witcher is not calculating physics of hundreds of parts, hogging your CPU, and is on what I assume is a custom engine. It’s apple and oranges. Let’s not derail the thread, though. 

Actually I think this touches on the heart of the matter. There's all manner of spectres and fiends and cursed beings lurking in KSP haunting the code and causing lag and physics mishaps. And not a witcher in sight to save us...

On 4/29/2018 at 4:29 AM, blackrack said:

Please override your scatterer.dll with this file and check if this fixes your sky issues with or without godrays or anything else: https://mega.nz/#!fQADGL5A!djG6qHW95pyh8b3faNGH8FUs5U4k-qB6m9GKxLrwOyQ

Please test as well the above .dll, it should fix your missing night sky issue (override .dll from latest released version).

I was having the dark sky problem with GPP/GEP/OPM on 1.3.1 and this .dll fixed it. It shouldn't cause any problems in my game going forward since its for 1.4.X? Thanks for the help!

Sorry i don't understand english very well.

I don't have scatterer atmosphere effect with my ksp 1.4.3

Do i have a bug or it's just a compatibility problem with 1.4.3 ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Trimix3D

18 hours ago, Trimix3D said:

Sorry i don't understand english very well.

I don't have scatterer atmosphere effect with my ksp 1.4.3

Do i have a bug or it's just a compatibility problem with 1.4.3 ?

Thanks in advance

It should work fine in 1.4.3.  Unfortunately, we need more information in order to help you.

First off, what exactly is your problem?  A screen capture might help.

Also, can you post your Output_Log file?  What other mods do you have?

Hey Y'all

Major respect for this mod, a total game changer.

I just have one problem: The sky and oceans get funky when you install module manager along with Eve and SVE. And by "get Funky" I mean they both appear as a solid, off-white color.

KSP: 1.4.3 Mac 64bit

Problem: When Module manager is installed, Scatter makes the oceans and sky appear off-white.

Mods Installed:

EVE, Scatter, SVE (and SVE textures), Module manager 3.0.7 (All mods are up to date)

Reproduction Steps:

Open any saved game and the ocean and sky look off-white. This issue persists even when flying a vehicle.

Scatter does not have this issue when Module Manager is NOT installed. 

The only thing I can tell is when I start the game, on the loading screen it shows that module manager made 110 patches. I don't know if these patches are causing the problem?

That being said, I am aware that this whole problem could be caused by conflicting config files (or lack of). 

If you can't tell I'm pretty new to troubleshooting this kind of stuff. Any input is well Appreciated!

~Bideogames

Don't Forget the log!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7nui3h94v7nvnx/Player.log.zip?dl=0

funs4Au.png

EDIT: I got this problem fixed. It was because of my lack of VRAM and using the SVE textures

Edited by Bideogames

I searched in the topic. Did not find anything concerning this topic. I didn't find anything sun.cfg and scatter.cfg 

Is it possible to just disable sunflare only in map mode view ?

Reason:
I really love my sunflare from Maar I use in flight mode, but it is just make everything really difficult in map mode to read the text. If not possible, I will have to consider to get a smaller sunflare so mapmode is not blocked out by a flare. I would be willing to forgo all scatter effects in map mode if this is possible.

2 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

Can this be updated for KSP 1.4.3 please and Scatter with the atmosphere does not show the atomosphere arround the planet. Ok it looks like ksp with scatterer not installed but i have it installed.

First, please be patient.  The mod will be updated when the dev has the time and can devote the effort to it.  Pestering him/her/it :sticktongue: has been known to cause to frustration and delays because this is a hobby not a job.  Blackrack has an excellent track record keeping this mod up-to-date.

Second, have you tried to troubleshoot the problem yourself (for example, does the behaviour still occur on a clean KSP install + Scatterer + your visual mod)?  You haven't provided nearly enough information to help diagnose the issue.  I recommend you (re)read the OP and follow the "How to Report Problems" section since some devs will ignore help requests without detailed information (though, in my experience, that's not the case here; the devs have been amazingly supportive).

22 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

Can this be updated for KSP 1.4.3 please and Scatter with the atmosphere does not show the atomosphere arround the planet. Ok it looks like ksp with scatterer not installed but i have it installed.

Scatterer works fine in 1.4.3. It does not work in the tracking station, but if you would actually fly a vessel to orbit you would see the atmospheric effects.

Edited by Galileo

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Scatterer works fine in 1.4.3. It does not work in the tracking station, but if you would actually fly a vessel to orbit you would see the atmospheric effects.

Ok thanks for the notice and help but could it be fixed on where it will show in the tracking station and also when I select ocean reflection effects and terrain shadows on startup that does not select. No rush thanks.

2 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

Ok thanks for the notice and help but could it be fixed on where it will show in the tracking station and also when I select ocean reflection effects and terrain shadows on startup that does not select. No rush thanks.

No it cannot be fixed by end users. Blackrack will have to fix that himself. As for the other options, I assume you are using SVE. I purposefully disable those effects because they hit performance hard and too many people complain about them. I will not enable them.