[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

10 hours ago, mcbmaestro said:

I actually don't have EVE atm, just Scatterer,  Parallax Mod and MJ.    I have tinkered a ton with the detail settings in the Parallax mod but haven't touched any in Scatterer.   I did look at the Scatterer settings for Eve, and noticed it does have a fair amount of settings in the atmos config file and that's how I ended up wondering about them.   

It's not a huge deal though really.  I tend to avoid Eve anyways. :D  And anyone using anything better than my old potatoey GTX960 is going to be fine. (Thanks for making it impossible to upgrade my gpu scalpers...)

For now you could disable long-distance shadows, godrays and ocean surface shadows. Or just wait for next version which will improve performance a bit and come with quality presets.

23 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Hmmm... I’ve disabled the wave interactions but it still is impossible to land smoothly on the water and once stopped the waves still bounce my SP all around and eventually destroy it!

Scatterer made it worse but "FAR" was the problem.

2 hours ago, MisteurNoe said:

hello, sorry, text translated from French by google ...

I have a graphic problem !

KSP: 1.3.1 Windows 64bit

Problem: flickering terrain

Mods installed: https://imgur.com/pp3ahg7

https://imgur.com/a/rclIndk

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thats a problem with the cusom planets you have installed, not scatterer. Report this issue to the devs of the planet mods

17 hours ago, blackrack said:

For now you could disable long-distance shadows, godrays and ocean surface shadows. Or just wait for next version which will improve performance a bit and come with quality presets.

Just wanted to tell you,  the issue had nothing to do with Scatter as I suspected.   After a lot of testing,  I found the issue was the Parallax Mod.   In the "Parallax Stock Textures/configs" folder, there's a config file called IncreaseSubdivisionCount that seems to set a specific complexity level for each planet/moon.   Eve's was set the highest at 14.   Minmus's 3 is very smooth and Duna's more reasonable 8 is a good balance,  for my specs at least.

Just wanted to say this as a follow up with your help you were giving me!  Thanks again!

Edited by mcbmaestro

I wanted to mess around today with HDR rendering and tonemapping after playing with a certain cosmos simulator.

As you may or may not know, the scattering shaders produces colors in high dynamic range, which I then tonemap separately and add to the scene with blending functions that attempt to "emulate" HDR by giving them a soft look. Results are okay but often produce faded or bleached colors that differ quite a bit from the original color. When using HDR or tonemapping through other post-processing mods, scatterer still does this simplified blending, so the results aren't as good as they could be.

True HDR is not supported in Unity when using MSAA, however since I'm ditching that with the new depth buffer approach, I decided to give it another try.

I explored the topic a bit before and the results were always inconclusive. This is still the case, it looks a bit off, the contrast looks a bit weird and I can't put my finger on what exactly is wrong. However I noticed some small improvements and wanted to share with you these screenshots and see what you think about them:

Left is regular, right with HDR and tonemapping.

P85Uvel.jpg

HDR one looks softer and slightly more balanced somehow but not a big difference overall

1uvj4Cj.jpg

Colors and gradients on the godrays look more natural here, notice the soft runway lights also

aGmMVA4.jpg

The blue color of the atmosphere seems better preserved, the contrast looks unnaturally strong though

Edited by blackrack

The latest Scatterer update is causing some strange visual bugs on kerbin's water in 1.9.1, mainly the horizon. I rolled back to 0.0610 and the bug was gone.

Seen here in JNSQ, but on the stock system side of things it's visible in AVP and Spectra too.

Also worth noting I'm forcing OpenGL.

axGq7lK.png

Here's the log.

Edited by GJdude

18 minutes ago, GJdude said:

Also worth noting I'm forcing Opengl

Why would you commit such a thing?

In all seriousness, It's likely that the bug was always there but was less visible on the old, flatter wave config. Can you try setting AMP to 1 and wind speed to 5 in the new version and see if that fixes it?

21 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Why would you commit such a thing?

In all seriousness, It's likely that the bug was always there but was less visible on the old, flatter wave config. Can you try setting AMP to 1 and wind speed to 5 in the new version and see if that fixes it?

I value my RAM and FPS, and OpenGL gives immense gains to both.

I tried switching up the values as suggested in Kerbin's ocean.cfg (I believe that's the right file) and alas, it's still there.

55 minutes ago, GJdude said:

I value my RAM and FPS, and OpenGL gives immense gains to both.

I tried switching up the values as suggested in Kerbin's ocean.cfg (I believe that's the right file) and alas, it's still there.

I will investigate.

I can't see how RAM and FPS are better on OpenGL though? They are better on Directx11.

10 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I will investigate.

I can't see how RAM and FPS are better on OpenGL though? They are better on Directx11.

Ah. I heard way back when that it was better for performance, noticed it dropped the ram use by one gig and never went back.

Turns out the bug isn't visible when running the default DX11. I guess we just found a new OpenGL bug.

Hi, I recently encountered with a weird problem that the solar terminator seems not vertical and misses the poles. I made a clean setup to locate the problem and found it derives from the latest version of scatterer. I thought adjusting scatterer's .cfg files or in-game UI could solve this problem, but it turns out not...:mellow:

To compare, I take two pictures of kerbin's southern hemisphere in scatterer V0.055(fig.1) and the latest version V0.0723(fig.2), other conditions maintaining same. The terminator line in fig.2 is not vertical and misses the south pole(same in north pole). This is also seen in other atmospheric planets.

XPQJoL9.png

gScgYsL.png

mods installed: AVP+EVE+Scatterer+PlanetShine+DistantObject+TUFX

Thank you for your help in advance!

1 hour ago, AkatsukiMana said:

Hi, I recently encountered with a weird problem that the solar terminator seems not vertical and misses the poles. I made a clean setup to locate the problem and found it derives from the latest version of scatterer. I thought adjusting scatterer's .cfg files or in-game UI could solve this problem, but it turns out not...:mellow:

To compare, I take two pictures of kerbin's southern hemisphere in scatterer V0.055(fig.1) and the latest version V0.0723(fig.2), other conditions maintaining same. The terminator line in fig.2 is not vertical and misses the south pole(same in north pole). This is also seen in other atmospheric planets.

mods installed: AVP+EVE+Scatterer+PlanetShine+DistantObject+TUFX

Thank you for your help in advance!

Clouds now receive lighting correctly based on their altitude. The higher the clouds are, the more light can still reach them (they will not be in the shadow of the planet) so the terminator will appear to move back.

In previous releases I had fudged it so that clouds just behaved as if they were at sea level, to make it easier to get those colored terminators, but that doesn't cover all use cases and types of clouds, and resulted in some issues.

Edited by blackrack

13 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Clouds now receive lighting correctly based on their altitude. The higher the clouds are, the more light can still reach them (they will not be in the shadow of the planet) so the terminator will appear to move back.

In previous releases I had fudged it so that clouds just behaved as if they were at sea level, to make it easier to get those colored terminators, but that doesn't cover all use cases and types of clouds.

Thank you for your timely reply! Happy to find it is a feature rather than a bug:D

There seems to be a compatibility issue between Scatterer and Kerbal Weather Project. I wasn't sure which project I should notify, so I'm posting in both threads.

KSP: 1.11-win-x64

GPU: GTX 1080 Ti, driver version 461.09

Mods:

• Scatterer
  • Kerbal Weather Project
  • Nertea's mods

Symptoms: Entering into a flight will cause both water and sky to stop rendering. Effects will not be restored until after program restart.

Removing KWP solves the issue.

Relevant log snippet (note: EVE is not installed):

[LOG 15:45:59.035] [Scatterer][Debug] mapping EVE clouds
[EXC 15:45:59.041] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
    AssemblyLoader+LoadedAssembly.TypeOperation (System.Action`1[T] action) (at <f8bc9e2b903e48a5b248ab0083c07c62>:0)
    AssemblyLoader+LoadedAssembyList.TypeOperation (System.Action`1[T] action) (at <f8bc9e2b903e48a5b248ab0083c07c62>:0)
    scatterer.ReflectionUtils.getType (System.String name) (at <db4451e6c1fd443c8b762a77e1ee9797>:0)
    scatterer.EVEReflectionHandler.MapEVEClouds () (at <db4451e6c1fd443c8b762a77e1ee9797>:0)
    scatterer.EVEReflectionHandler.Start () (at <db4451e6c1fd443c8b762a77e1ee9797>:0)
    scatterer.Scatterer.Init () (at <db4451e6c1fd443c8b762a77e1ee9797>:0)
    scatterer.Scatterer+<DelayedInit>d__0.MoveNext () (at <db4451e6c1fd443c8b762a77e1ee9797>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[LOG 15:45:59.042] [ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
KerbalWeatherProject 1.0.0.0 GameData\KerbalWeatherProject\KerbalWeatherProject.dll

Full log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IO2WMDY-X8ZkxUoUdVC5OpO_W4U0Qfxp/view?usp=sharing

Edited by harbingerdawn
Formatting

On 1/24/2021 at 12:25 AM, harbingerdawn said:

There seems to be a compatibility issue between Scatterer and Kerbal Weather Project. I wasn't sure which project I should notify, so I'm posting in both threads.

I tested KWP when it was first released and didn't have this issue. At first glance it looks something is wrong with the KWP .dll, maybe a corrupted file? I'm not sure what would cause reflection to throw an exception when simply checking the type.

Edited by blackrack

Hey there! Sorry for the random post out of the blue, but I've been trying to get an update for Spectra pushed to address the rainbow clouds in the main menu, and I was curious if I could share my findings with you.

It seems the rainbow clouds are tied to these five variables:

uHKskT7.png

Messing with these variables does some... interesting things to the main menu.

Preserve cloud colors* = True (Main Menu)
wFYLa6q.jpg

Preserve cloud colors* = False (Main Menu)
vBofvRI.jpg

As you can see toggling Preserve cloud colors* to False from True, significantly deadens the rainbow effect on the main menus, as well as strengthening their colors a fair amount (notice how the small clouds over the ocean are much brighter with it set to false).

This would seem like a solution to remove the rainbow colors by simply leaving this value set to False, however doing this completely removes the sunsets from the planet:

Preserve cloud colors* = True (Map View)
tr4Y509.jpg

Preserve cloud colors* = False (Map View)
ezBLyVM.jpg

This gets even more unusual when you start messing with the actual number sliders. You can actually get the sunset colors to return if you mess with the values with Preserve cloud colors* set to False, though it begins to mess up the main menu again.

Improved EVE integration settings (Map View)
Yqhreuh.png

Improved EVE integration settings (Main Menu)
K3aEjpI.jpg

The main issue I've been having is that the main menu clouds seem to follow different color rules than in flight. Do you know why this is?