[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Here begins the odyssey of catching up on months of posts!

On 2/11/2021 at 4:38 AM, m4ti140 said:

Not sure if any of those have been reported up to now, but gonna drop these just in case:

1: With AA off the refraction goes stupid to the point of hilarity, displaying what seems to be the contents of the kerbal camera in the bottom right.

Reveal hidden contents

sYc4VN8.png

ZRXMVnS.png

FzGnheD.png

2: Not sure if it's on Scatterer or ER side of things: volumetric clouds visible from couple hundred meters underwater. Had it happen in older versions but I don't remember if I reported it.

Reveal hidden contents

9H2P2SE.png

Using DX11, 1.11.1, scatterer+Eve redux with default Eve configs + waterfall (though nothing in the scene uses it), DOE, Planetshine and restock. Disabling the latter 2 didn't fix it, haven't tried completely uninstalling them yet.

Both are known issues for me. 1 will be fixed in next update. 2 is caused by EVE redux and I ahven't worked on it yet.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:11 PM, kerbalxploder said:

Hey, I have just a few complaints about scatterer, during eclipses to be exact. I have no idea if there's a patch being worked on for this, but I thought Id adress it anyway.

1.  The mountains in the distance are kinda bright during the eclipse...

2. What is going on here?

I have no idea if the latter one is my problem or an issue with scatterer itself, but this thing spazzes around and slowly heads eastward. This thing seems to happen in places directly under the eclipse

FYI, I use EVE redux with scatterer. Amazing mod, also I think the info could be useful.

For 1: Eclipses only apply to the sky, not (yet) on local objects/scattering.

2. No idea, looks like a precision issue with EVE-redux, are you on the latest EVE-redux? Is that Mun or Minmus's shadow?

On 2/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, Walker said:

Hi, @blackrack I have a bug to report - it affects only rescaled systems. To reproduce:

1) Fresh 1.11.1 install

2) Install Sigma dimensions with dependencies and 6.4 rescale

3) Install latest Scatterer

4) Launch a vechicle up to 110 km altidude. 

When a vechicle crosses 30 km altitude (exact number depends od rescale factor) some parts get a blue hue:

On higher altitudes it  is more apparent:

Effect disappers afcter crossing 110 km altitude (with 6.4 rescale).

Some parts (like fairings) are not affected. 

Any help would be appreciated :)

Lower experimentalAtmoScale and it should fix it. On 10x rescale you should put experimentalAtmoScale probably in  between 0.5 - 1.0, adjust to taste.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, YeahScience said:

KSP: 1.11.1.3066 Windows 64bit

Problem: with the sunflares it's dont work, I have the stock sun

Mods installed:

ModuleManager 4.1.4

KerbalEngineer 1.1.8.3

MechJeb2 2.12.0.0

Scatterer 0.0723

TacLifeSupport 0.17.0

Reproduction steps:

Look at the sun from a map or space

a week ago sunflares sometimes was like that:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mptafqp2mnb87pv/2021-01-31 (rigth).png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85v3jnzz6uwysco/2021-02-08 (rigth).png?dl=0

or like that:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yulmwsgk5bscgj/2021-01-31 (stock).png?dl=0

but now i reinstalled windows and sunflares only like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x7s9u71kvcvqdg/2021-02-19 (stock).png?dl=0

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz7ur18773pwbiy/MMPatch.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg92dfonezrcz42/ModuleManager.log?dl=0

Does anyone know how to get the sunflares to be correct?

The new one is just the stock scatterer sunflare, I don't know where the old one comes from, looks like a custom config.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:08 PM, MacLuky said:

Hi

On RSS I see a lot of these in the logs:

[LOG 20:04:31.862] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Kerbin. TransformName: Kerbin
[LOG 20:04:31.863] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.864] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Kerbin not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.864] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Duna. TransformName: Duna
[LOG 20:04:31.864] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.864] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Duna not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.866] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Laythe. TransformName: Laythe
[LOG 20:04:31.866] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.866] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Laythe not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.866] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Jool. TransformName: Jool
[LOG 20:04:31.867] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.867] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Jool not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.867] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Eve. TransformName: Eve
[LOG 20:04:31.867] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.868] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Eve not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.868] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Venus. TransformName: Venus
[LOG 20:04:31.868] [Scatterer][Debug] Found ScattererCelestialBody: Venus, actual ingame name: Venus

I presume this is because there are configs under Scatterer itself for Stock, but RSSVE for RSS. Can I delete those under Stock to speed things up?

(and if so, which files?)

capricorn:CKAN macluky$ ls -l  ../GameData/scatterer/config/
total 16
drwxr-xr-x@ 9 macluky  staff   288 Jan 23 13:19 Planets
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 macluky  staff    96 Apr 19  2020 PluginData
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 macluky  staff   128 Apr 19  2020 Sunflares
-rw-r--r--@ 1 macluky  staff  1046 Apr 19  2020 config.cfg
-rw-r--r--@ 1 macluky  staff  2297 Feb  2  2020 planetsList.cfg

You can delete them, it won't speed anything up, this check takes barely a millisecond.

On 2/23/2021 at 3:14 AM, Kwebib said:

@blackrack@RyanRisingOkay, I have some logs and some screenshots.

KSP Version 1.10.1

JNSQ 0.9.0

Kopernicus Stable R34

EVE Redux 1.11.2.1

Scatterer 0.0632 and 0.0723

Logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ip76-oC5F8OMPgjO4L-PZxuBlcJOyrdP?usp=sharing

Dusk, Scatterer 0.0632:

Reveal hidden contents

piva1ij.png

Dusk, Scatterer 0.0723:

Reveal hidden contents

deBwvNw.png

Mid-day, Scatterer 0.0632:

Reveal hidden contents

OdY9p43.png

Mid-day, Scatterer 0.0723:

Reveal hidden contents

uqHXxFM.png

You can see it's just a color issue, and may just need updated configs.

I actually prefer the mid-day color of 0.0723. But the sunrise and sunset do look much better in 0.0632.

Looks like you have the sunlightExtinction disabled in the new version for some reason, check in the KSC scatterer menu or the config files, this is the option you're interested in: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/wiki/GeneralConfig#sunlight-extinction-sunlightextinction

On 2/28/2021 at 3:17 AM, JeanRenaud said:

What do you guys think of this scatterer issue ?  The sun has set behind the mountains we see, and the mountains are BRIGHT. This does not make any sense.  It's like the scatterer adds more and more "white light" the farther the terrain is.  But scattering is not "light addition", it's just "light deflection". It is at its strongest intensity when there is a lot of light, and the scattering gets more dim near sunset/sunrise, and totally absent in night.

My idea is that the scattering must be some kind of "transparency gradient". The farther object will be overlapped by a fully opaque color (this color must be the color of the "far" sky), then the overlapping gradient color becomes gradually transparent when the terrain gets nearer and nearer to the observer.

Sometimes in the summer I observe that far mountains gets totally invisible because there is a lot humidity in the air. So the terrain very far gets the same color than sky. In a very dry day, we can see the mountains at their real color because there is no scattering (no humidity).

I think this is sunset+eclipse at the same time, eclipses only apply to the sky, unless this happens every sunset, then you need to post more info, as I don't get this issue.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:56 PM, dtrauma said:

I don't know if this is something that is known, but when you are in an eclipse (for example around the Mun and Kerbin blocks the sun), all light sources are blocked and you can't see anything anymore. Even the space station I was docking with in full light cones of four spotlights turned pitch black and I could only see the outlines against the milkyway skybox. Even window lights on my vessel got much darker. I use Scatterer, PlanetShine and DistantObjects.

This is caused by how EVE/EVE-Redux handle eclipses, I'm aware of it, will make better eclipses in the (undefined) future

On 3/24/2021 at 4:53 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

So in JNSQ scatterer makes the ocean look purty but sunsets don't make everything orange and the sun is just the stock sun.

This should probably be reported in JNSQ thread.

On 3/27/2021 at 2:46 AM, y2kcobrar said:

Looking for help with an issue I ran into with a rescaled system, 10X to be specific. At high altitudes in atmosphere, and 20km out of (atmo ends at 140km) crafts are HEAVILY shaded blue until you pass 160km at which point it suddenly clears up. I've dug around github and here without any luck. Does anyone know what's going on or if there's a setting that will affect it?

https://imgur.com/a/MTSkpb5

Lower experimentalAtmoScale

On 3/28/2021 at 5:04 PM, Argeus said:

Your assetPath is messed up or .half files are in the wrong location, probably you have a duplicate install even. I suggest reinstalling scatterer + any custom scatterer configs you have.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, Ondřej20 said:

Hi all,

I came here from the Parallax mod having this issue on linux.

Any idea what's the status or how can I help to fix it?

Next release (I had it almos finalized in January, I'm getting back into it now, been super busy)

On 4/16/2021 at 8:31 AM, Weak Player said:

is there a way to make scatterer light to the gpu, like via settings?

Next release, see above

On 4/27/2021 at 5:46 AM, sstarkm said:

Hiya! So I have Scatterer in my game, but it seems to not be pulling its config from the right planets, only Laythe. No matter what planet I go to, it seems to be pulling its info from the Laythe config. Strange thing is that I swapped out the Laythe atmo.cfg with the .cfg from Kerbin and it did absoloutley nothing. Anyone got any tips on how to fix this?

It's pulling the correct config, but ModuleManager patches throw it off and it doesn't display the right path. Will be fixed in the next release (kind of, in reality it will inform you it's using a ModuleManager patch and not that path, will also not save config to the wrong path)

The MM configs patching the wrong body isn't so much of a Scatterer issue but more of the fact that the patches aren't really defined properly by the mod author. This has been a long running problem, no? Is it likely due to people rehashing the same old configs over and over?

0.0767 Preview build

Performance improvements, grab them while they're hot

https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/releases/tag/0.0767

Changelog:

• Depth buffer mode: Renders scattering effect using the depth buffer instead of re-rendering opaque objects:
    • Enables CPU and GPU performance improvements (anywhere from 17% to 41% higher fps with the stock game and scatterer)
    • Added option to render the scattering in 1/4 resolution and upsample for performance (incompatible will godrays, will auto-disable if godrays are used)
    • Compatibility with Parallax (most noticeably underwater)
    • Compatibility with trees and terrain scatters (they now get correct scattering on them instead of sticking out)
    • Disables MSAA anti-aliasing because it's not compatible with the depth buffer (Added option to use SMAA to compensate, MSAA is still used in tracking station and editor scenes so keep it enabled).
    • Depth buffer mode can be disabled in favor of the old mode if you want to have MSAA (performance and compatiblity improvements won't be available in this case)
  • Faster long-distance shadow rendering (no longer need to render an additional depth buffer for shadows farther than 7km)
  • Small performance improvements in the ocean + ability to further disable foam and transparency for performance on slower machines
  • Performance presets and a preset loader in the KSC menu, to easily adjust quality/performance. It will also tell you your current preset by matching individual settings against presets. Scatterer will now default to "low" preset which is just the basic scattering+ocean feel free to go higher or lower depending on your specs.
  • Sunflare editor in the UI, changes made here will be lost on scene changes so copy your config. (Config will also be logged when applied from the UI)
  • New sunflare syntax (check wiki for details https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/wiki/SunflaresConfig#syntax-version-2)
    • Support for per-element intensity and scale curves
    • Units for the distance in the curves is the parent body's radius, used to make sunflares easy to port from one star to another with different sizes
    • Support for .dds textures for the flares
    • More readable syntax, scales are supplied normally instead of inverse
    • Older sunflares stay compatible by omitting the syntaxVersion tag or using syntaxVersion=1. New sunflare syntax using syntaxVersion=2 in the sunflare config
  • Sunflares are loaded directly from their individual sunflare configs (Scatterer_sunflare nodes), no longer need to have and maintain sunflare list in the planetsList file
  • Better error handling when loading and clearer logging, if loading fails the stock effects will load instead of having the ocean not load. Same when atmo files are missing, display stock effects instead of loading white atmosphere.
  • Configs loaded from ModuleManager are detected as such, and no longer as coming from "Laythe.cfg", config saving to disk is disabled when a ModuleManager patch is used
  • Possibility to preview different SunColor values directly from the UI for fine-tuning (will not save to file though, you still have to manually edit the planetsList file after)
  • De-hardcoded a gravity parameter in the ocean spectrum (previously hardcoded to 9.81 m/s^2), a value of 0 will apply the body's surface gravity. This can impact the waves look and look unnatural to us (as we are used to how waves looks on earth), old ocean configs where the value is missing will default to 9.81 as before.

Refer to this post for more details about the performance improvements:

I had this version almost ready to go for a while but things got busy :)

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

The MM configs patching the wrong body isn't so much of a Scatterer issue but more of the fact that the patches aren't really defined properly by the mod author. This has been a long running problem, no? Is it likely due to people rehashing the same old configs over and over?

For sure, but I at least had to disable saving the content of ModuleManager patches to an existing stand-alone config.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

You deferred your Patreon for the month and then almost immediately go release a build. :D You are too humble.

Thank you, things were hectic and as I didn't know when I'd be back I kept deferring it :)

4 hours ago, ayothepizza said:

Hey uh, i'm playing scatterer with Galaxies Unbound and for some reason all the oceans are transparent (Besides the planets in the Kerbol system) and on some worlds the atmosphere is black. Does anybody know a fix for this? Thanks!

Check the "How to report Issues" section in the OP please.

Edited by blackrack

28 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Thank you, things were hectic and as I didn't know when I'd be back I kept deferring it :)

Check the "How to report Issues" section in the OP please.

sorry for "not knowing what log to give you" here is the log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXrfkF9hE4OkokEcYpfAEAmdqZU4SqGu/view?usp=sharing

also I did read how to report issues I just didn't provide the log on accident

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-FwiiGpWrakSxEV-qKi7-gZHCr4UHSxj/view?usp=sharing here's a screenshot, it's not a very good one so here's another one
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtjnTFAkF_bWPolrmW0Nk8gafayYi0DP/view?usp=sharing under the clouds the ocean is transparent

Edited by ayothepizza

28 minutes ago, ayothepizza said:

sorry for "not knowing what log to give you" here is the log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXrfkF9hE4OkokEcYpfAEAmdqZU4SqGu/view?usp=sharing

also I did read how to report issues I just didn't provide the log on accident

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-FwiiGpWrakSxEV-qKi7-gZHCr4UHSxj/view?usp=sharing here's a screenshot, it's not a very good one so here's another one
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtjnTFAkF_bWPolrmW0Nk8gafayYi0DP/view?usp=sharing under the clouds the ocean is transparent

I have no idea what's going on, seeing as you have so many mods installed I would suggest trying to remove mods until you find what's causing the issue. May be a misconfiguration or some kind of conflict between mods.

Also I'm not sure which version of EVE that is, seems like an older build, try replacing it with EVE-redux:

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

I have no idea what's going on, seeing as you have so many mods installed I would suggest trying to remove mods until you find what's causing the issue. May be a misconfiguration or some kind of conflict between mods.

Also I'm not sure which version of EVE that is, seems like an older build, try replacing it with EVE-redux:

dang, well thanks for trying to help me man

45 minutes ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

Why is this happening? When Im near shadow a giant circle of light from the gods destroy the shadow. Also the sun reflection behind a mountain are visible. Is there a way to fix this???

There's not enough info to go on, check the "How to report Issues" section in the OP please. Looks like something is messing up the shadowmap (That godray still looks sick though).

Edited by blackrack

3 hours ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

I just saw my first eclipse, and something feels off.

are the mountains suppose to look like that?

Eclipses are sky and orbit view only for now, what you see on the ground is from EVE.

1 hour ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

Well... Call me stupid buuuutt... Where do i find it?

First page of the thread

Edited by blackrack

KSP: 1.11

Problem: Surface shadows (from mountains) not visible at certain distancdistance and sun reflection visible behind mountains.

Mods installed:

Beyond Home

Texture Replacer

Parallax

TUFX

EVE Redux.

Alarm Clock

Real Plume.

Better Time Warp

Scatter.

Kopernicus Bleeding Edge

Waterfall.

Hyper Edit

Restock Core           

Waterfall Restock

Pood's Calm Nebula Skybox.

Smoke Screen

Re-entry Particle Effect Renewed

Reproduction steps:

When im near a mountain the shadow that it casts disappears. I don't know if it affects god rays. All the terrain scatterer (tree) shadows are visible.

The reflections from the sun are visible on water even though im behind a FE mountain. 

Is this how it should be??? (The issue report)

Edited by BlackEyedPhantom

1 hour ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

Is this how it should be??? (The issue report)

Yes this is how it should be. If I remember correctly this is an issue with the old version of Parallax, which Beyond Home is locked to until it updates. The newer versions of Parallax fixed it, but you'll have to wait for Beyond Home to update. I ran into this issue myself. If it's too jarring you can disable godrays or long distance shadows from Scatterer in the meantime, though it might still happen near the camera.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Yes this is how it should be. If I remember correctly this is an issue with the old version of Parallax, which Beyond Home is locked to until it updates. The newer versions of Parallax fixed it, but you'll have to wait for Beyond Home to update. I ran into this issue myself. If it's too jarring you can disable godrays or long distance shadows from Scatterer in the meantime, though it might still happen near the camera.

Ow ok no problems then. Thanks!

29 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

I can't find the preset options. I'm doing Alt+F11, but the usual scatterer settings come up. I have version 0.0723 in use, if that helps.

When you are in the space center press the blue ball in the bottom right and it should pop up. At least that's what worked for me. Try it :)