[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Alt F11 doesn't close the window in Linux so the window stays up all the time.

For now just use the newer version, it has a smaller window.

Looks positively amazing.

Sadly, I play using in dx11 forced mode. I know this messes up a lot of shaders, so I must ask:

-Is this compatible with dx11?

This works best in dx11.

With the new version yes, I can get in the game but ALT-F11 doesn't close the window.

I'll add a button in the next version. From your second screen it looks like the mod isn't working (stuck in wake() state). You're running on linux right? Which version of the game are you running?

From your second screen it looks like the mod isn't working (stuck in wake() state). You're running on linux right? Which version of the game are you running?

I'm having the same problem, too. However, I have Windows 8, KSP 0.90 and the latest version of the mod. I've even set the rendering settings to "Fast," but nothing is showing up.

sGpb4yB.png

I'm having the same problem, too. However, I have Windows 8, KSP 0.90 and the latest version of the mod. I've even set the rendering settings to "Fast," but nothing is showing up.

http://i.imgur.com/sGpb4yB.png

I'll check this out, does the old version work normally?

Edit: It seems I have forgotten to include one file in the new version here it is now complete:http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=12532677761757698937

Huh. Just downloaded the mod (finaly :D) and saw, that there is no source included. I think, if you offer compiled binaries, the forum rules requires a link to the source (GitHub f.e.) and a license. Would be good If you'd show us the source. :) (So that a) the mods are happy :D and B) others could search bugs / provide fixes.) ;)

I'll include a source, but first I'll have to clean it up, I wouldn't want you all laughing at my duct-taped code yet.

Edited by blackrack

well here are some shots under DX9 32-bit exe w/W7 x64 and all graphics settings enabled and maxed out:

Sunrise. Wow.

3N92UAAl.png

Daytime. Can see the lines, can also see them at night but during sunrise/sunset they aren't really noticeable. Also, the sun bounces around a lot when moving the camera about. not a big deal for images, but for video

ygStRwwl.png

Orbit. Yea needs some work here still. Map view however looks just fine

L3JtAsBl.png

Overall a good start tho IMO

Well recently I haven't been going to space so that orbital ugliness won't be bothering me much right now. I am curious if there are similar effects on Eve, Duna, and Laythe, or if plan to mess with those later.

(EDIT) Well I went and popped this in so I could ride my P-40 into the sunset. I was rolling the craft to pass the time until I got to the mountains and the sky went bonkers.

1GOHddm.jpg

It isn't as severe out of phys warp but the sky still shifts around a bit.

Edited by BoomShroom

I fixed up the line artifacts and the messed up dx9 and opengl shaders from orbit. Transition from atmosphere to orbit is now smooth. I also fixed the sky getting messed up when alt-tabbing or switching from/to fullscreen.

Right now the problem is the atmosphere will start looking like this after a certain altitude

hsPuU11.jpg

Simply using alpha channel just makes the planet look like it's covered with a blue overlay filter and the continents don't look good at all so I'll need to figure out something else. For now you can play with the exposure, alpha and alpha cutoff settings.

There's also a minor problem with the sunglare in space but it'll be fixed. The shader is also not always closely following the camera, this is because I'm using graphics.drawmesh right now, using a regular meshrenderer doesn't allow me to control which camera the mesh is rendered to and as a result it ends up occluding everything more than 500m away, I'm hoping I'll get around this by using a different mesh shape.

New version is in the OP.

Ok the lines are gone, but now for some reason it suppresses EVE clouds during the day. At night they show up, but still no volumetrics. You can see them rolling past the mountains during the day but they only show against the terrain not the sky:

lhuT2kbl.png

Sun in the sky while in atmo is no longer bobbly, but as you did mention it still needs some work up in orbit:

E3e2DLcl.png

This atmosphere after sunset though is awesome!

n9XGdbul.png

Ok the lines are gone, but now for some reason it suppresses EVE clouds during the day. At night they show up, but still no volumetrics. You can see them rolling past the mountains during the day but they only show against the terrain not the sky:

Well, in this new version I disabled the stock atmosphere's renderer, that's the most major change, if EVE relies on that for some reason then I guess I could wait until high up in the atmosphere before disabling it (when lower in the atmosphere it's occluded anyway).

I see you edited the OP today, blackrack. But I'm at school and can't preview that update. What's new? :)

Mostly fixes and a few improvements here and there.

Does anybody have any experience with the way the cameras in KSP handle depth buffers? I need to know if KSP's default terrain shaders write to the depth buffer. I know KSP uses multiple cameras and it makes rebuilding a coherent depth buffer difficult and yadda yadda but since I'm working on atmospheric scattering, it only applies to the farthest objects and would only require the depth buffer of the farthest camera.

I know rbray was working on something similar, but if possible, I'd like to not have to replace the stock terrain shaders with other shaders that write to the depth buffer as rbray did something similar but it did not look good in the end.

Oh, one can dream... ;.;

We'll get there eventually, don't you worry.

Now that's pretty. But, I gotta say, your name is really disturbing.
I have to agree with that Gaalidas...

:o

I made that name up when I was 12, I do not think it means what you think it means.