[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Looks like there's an inverted "/", is this like a platform-specific thing? Hold on I'll check why it works for the rest of the path.

Edited: Replace your scatterer.dll with this http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=42296570119783257966

Report back if it works and I'll update the link in the OP.

Also, right now the haze shader doesn't work in opengl but you should at least get in game and get the sky shaders.

I can confirm that with this dll I can get in the game (which did not work before), and the sky shader is there. Hoping to get the haze too at one point :)

Yes, there are Unity/C# tools in the API to make your program platform-agnostic.

To be specific, this line

Shader shader = ShaderTool.GetShader2("ReplacementShaders/" +name + ".shader");

should be

Shader shader = ShaderTool.GetShader2(Path.Combine("ReplacementShaders", name + ".shader"));

You can see examples of assorted methods of getting/messing with the path in C# here.

Edited by pizzaoverhead

I can confirm that with this dll I can get in the game (which did not work before), and the sky shader is there. Hoping to get the haze too at one point :)

Nice, I will now update the link in the OP.

To be specific, this line

Shader shader = ShaderTool.GetShader2("ReplacementShaders/" +name + ".shader");

should be

Shader shader = ShaderTool.GetShader2(Path.Combine("ReplacementShaders", name + ".shader"));

You can see examples of assorted methods of getting/messing with the path in C# here.

Thanks for this, I'll implement it.

I understand that this is a WIP mod but when installed I cannot load any saves, scenarios or even tutorials. Looks good though...

If you're on linux or OSX, download the fixed version I just uploaded to kerbalstuff, or the fixed .dll linked a few posts up. Keep in mind that only the sky works in opengl right now, haze doesn't work because of an issue with texture reads inside dynamic branches in opengl, to get around this I'm eliminating branches (expect a performance cost) but I still keep going over the arithmetic operations limit.

You should use versioning and dating in the title to denote to readers when an update has occurred. (esp. date; put the date of the last update in the title so readers can tell at a glance if there's an update they might want to get)

You should use versioning and dating in the title to denote to readers when an update has occurred. (esp. date; put the date of the last update in the title so readers can tell at a glance if there's an update they might want to get)

Alright, done.

@Blackrack, just tested it out to see for myself and man this looks promising! Good job!

Almost makes me think of ditching Better Atmo's mod, when you get every aspect of it working correctly.

Better Atmo's does also have issues, clouds seems like large 'edge pixelated rings' above a certain altitude. But that is known from what I read.

Performance, is fine for me. Didn't really notice any real hit, but I might have been a little distracted at dawns launch to really have noticed.

Keep it up! I'd say this is a must have already.

I really hope you can work out the atmo transitions with rbray, if I read reddit correctly.

@Blackrack, just tested it out to see for myself and man this looks promising! Good job!

Almost makes me think of ditching Better Atmo's mod, when you get every aspect of it working correctly.

Better Atmo's does also have issues, clouds seems like large 'edge pixelated rings' above a certain altitude. But that is known from what I read.

Performance, is fine for me. Didn't really notice any real hit, but I might have been a little distracted at dawns launch to really have noticed.

Keep it up! I'd say this is a must have already.

I really hope you can work out the atmo transitions with rbray, if I read reddit correctly.

Oh I'll get it there don't worry, I haven't been this excited about making anything in a while. I just started work on the transitions right now and rbray's pointers and EVE's source code should be of the greatest help.

am i right in thinking the latest version should look like your pics??? as mine looks more like this

Have you tried pressing the "toggle postprocessing" button?

I'm having the same issue (i think) as the above where by there is no ground haze just that above the horizon, and that is only in PQS and not scaledspace - however hitting toggle postprocessing doesn't do a thing except sometimes create a nice looking horizon sideways on the screen (90 degrees to the actual in-game horizon). toggling depth buffer simply makes the entire screen white? I've removed all instances of EVE and RSS, however still no ground haze, sometimes when adjusting some of the camera toggles I get that decent looking groundhaze/horizon but it's miles beyond the actual in game horizon i.e. way of in the distant space somewhere.

I'm not running openGL or DX9, but am on windows 8, and the problem still persits :(

P.s. I don't mean to sound annoyed I'm just exited about how beautiful this mod is and it's potential with RVE :D

Great job thus far, this could be the fix for EVE's volumetrics I've been waiting for to kick-start RVE development again!

I'm having the same issue (i think) as the above where by there is no ground haze just that above the horizon, and that is only in PQS and not scaledspace - however hitting toggle postprocessing doesn't do a thing except sometimes create a nice looking horizon sideways on the screen (90 degrees to the actual in-game horizon). toggling depth buffer simply makes the entire screen white? I've removed all instances of EVE and RSS, however still no ground haze, sometimes when adjusting some of the camera toggles I get that decent looking groundhaze/horizon but it's miles beyond the actual in game horizon i.e. way of in the distant space somewhere.

I'm not running openGL or DX9, but am on windows 8, and the problem still persits :(

P.s. I don't mean to sound annoyed I'm just exited about how beautiful this mod is and it's potential with RVE :D

Great job thus far, this could be the fix for EVE's volumetrics I've been waiting for to kick-start RVE development again!

If you don't see the PQS in the depth buffer then the mod is not working for some reason. I usually get the sideways horizon after messing with the toggle postprocessing butoon in mapview.

Edit: better remove all mods to narrow it down, if it doesn't work in a stock install then something has gone seriously wrong.

If you don't see the PQS in the depth buffer then the mod is not working for some reason. I usually get the sideways horizon after messing with the toggle postprocessing butoon in mapview.

Edit: better remove all mods to narrow it down, if it doesn't work in a stock install then something has gone seriously wrong.

Thanks for the speedy reply, I'll try to reproduce/narrow it down and will get back :)

That last version partly resolved the issue I was seeing with it but it still throws an error occasionally that kills haze

Question: are you compiling against .NET 3.5? (you want to because KSP uses 3.5 and not 4.0, which your compiler might be defaulting to)

Thanks for the speedy reply, I'll try to reproduce/narrow it down and will get back :)

godspeed

Glad you guys are enjoying this, the one thing that would remain missing then is true volumetric clouds.

Notice how much of a difference the clouds make to the feel of the scene:

That last version partly resolved the issue I was seeing with it but it still throws an error occasionally that kills haze

Question: are you compiling against .NET 3.5? (you want to because KSP uses 3.5 and not 4.0, which your compiler might be defaulting to)

I'm compiling against 4.0, 3.5 doesn't compile for me, errors everywhere. Are you sure KSP uses 3.5? I thought they upgraded with unity.

And if you're talking about the haze messing up when you change scenes without disabling it or after using the map view, that's not a compiler error, that's a minor thing that I fixed but didn't think it warranted an update :P

Edited by blackrack

@Blackrack, would it be possible to add a section in your OP where you lists the currently 'known issues'?

Now most issues, or the ones solved, are a bit spread throughout the thread :)

Btw I get these odd looking circles on the oceans, this a known thing?

N5G0Vln.png

@Blackrack, would it be possible to add a section in your OP where you lists the currently 'known issues'?

Now most issues, or the ones solved, are a bit spread throughout the thread :)

Btw I get these odd looking circles on the oceans, this a known thing?

http://i.imgur.com/N5G0Vln.png

Definitely not a known thing, which platform are your running on? Directx or opengl?

ok so removed all other mods except scatterer, still no ground haze, looking in more detail however I noticed the post processing ground haze is only being applied to game objects (e.g. KSC and runway) but not to the actual terrain.

Besides starting up the game and hitting toggle postprocessing once on the launch pad what else would I need to adjust or should it look as your screens do with the -out the box- default settings?

Cheers again

P