[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

[quote name='blackrack']Just fixed the edge/shimmering issues of the new depth buffer. Also got rid of the old horizon break and other artifacts OpenGL has.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/xMfdyN6.jpg[/url]

I'll be cleaning this up and making a release soon. It looks like this may have some performance impact though, I will check again tomorrow, maybe I messed something up.

Scatterer isn't supposed to hide them, probably the additive blending makes them more visible also, nothing you can do there.[/QUOTE]

Looks lovely!!

[quote name='blackrack']Just fixed the edge/shimmering issues of the new depth buffer. Also got rid of the old horizon break and other artifacts OpenGL has.

[URL]http://i.imgur.com/xMfdyN6.jpg[/URL]

I'll be cleaning this up and making a release soon. It looks like this may have some performance impact though, I will check again tomorrow, maybe I messed something up.

Scatterer isn't supposed to hide them, probably the additive blending makes them more visible also, nothing you can do there.[/QUOTE]

Awesome!! :)

Awesome man! :D

Very good.

The problem is that horizon is supposed to be bright enough to overlap them... But I guess it isn't possible to implement without complex exposure calculations

[quote name='Berlin']Is there a .cfg setting I can use to adjust the intensity of scatterer? My computer runs it fine but I'm searching for those extra FPS[/QUOTE]

There's already a minimal performance impact thanks to a big part of the work being precomputed. To answer your question there's nothing you can adjust to increase your fps.

Not sure if this has been discussed, as the forum is all a bit Kraken at the moment ... but here's a weirdness I came across running the latest greatest 0.0195 (it seemed to fix itself by the second Kerbinset, but then seemed to reappear sporadically, but only in map view). Maybe a SOI not being registered thing - this started in kerbin orbit. 

I'm running a boatload of mods -- so it's in OpenGL to save memory, but visual mods are (latest versions of): EVE 1.0.5-3, Texture Replacer, PlanetShine & Distant Object Enhancement and Active Texture Management.

As you have a new depth buffer and this looks like a z-index problem, I figured it was probably you I should tell.

Also the ugly grid lines in the sky seem to be back with a vengeance this version on openGL at nighttime, but that might have been me messing with the video settings.

Bug reports over, may I say this is an absolutely outstanding, transformative and stunning mod. So congrats on the progress so far and thank you kindly for all your hard work. Brilliant job!

ZRZsdJh.jpg

Dwt36wz.jpg

QUXER2B.jpg

12 minutes ago, -dead- said:

Not sure if this has been discussed, as the forum is all a bit Kraken at the moment ... but here's a weirdness I came across running the latest greatest 0.0195 (it seemed to fix itself by the second Kerbinset, but then seemed to reappear sporadically, but only in map view). Maybe a SOI not being registered thing - this started in kerbin orbit. 

I'm running a boatload of mods -- so it's in OpenGL to save memory, but visual mods are (latest versions of): EVE 1.0.5-3, Texture Replacer, PlanetShine & Distant Object Enhancement and Active Texture Management.

As you have a new depth buffer and this looks like a z-index problem, I figured it was probably you I should tell.

Also the ugly grid lines in the sky seem to be back with a vengeance this version on openGL at nighttime, but that might have been me messing with the video settings.

Bug reports over, may I say this is an absolutely outstanding, transformative and stunning mod. So congrats on the progress so far and thank you kindly for all your hard work. Brilliant job!

I can also reproduce the OpenGL nighttime lines. Using the most recent version of EVE, AVp Astronomers Cloud/texture pack, and PlanetShine.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Oooh! ETA? ;-)

Some time during this week.

For those who weren't around reddit during the forum outage:

Also, ocean on OpenGL is messed-up, but I believe it's because it uses a different projection matrix (again, those pesky matrixes). I haven't looked at it yet but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out this time around.

Dx9 and Dx11 work very well.

Edited by blackrack

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

Some time during this week.

For those who weren't around reddit during the forum outage:

Also, ocean on OpenGL is messed-up, but I believe it's because it uses a different projection matrix (again, those pesky matrixes). I haven't looked at it yet but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out this time around.

Dx9 and Dx11 work very well.

I can't wait to get my hands on this! I think it's about time I start building float planes :)

Just making sure, is it normal that every time a scene outside is loaded, the game freezes for 2-3 seconds to load Scatterer? It's kinda annoying when changing scenes frequently (testing a new craft) but still worth it.

If it's a problem on my side then even better as something can be done about it.

Edit: I'm using OpenGL if that helps anything.

Edited by theend3r

14 minutes ago, theend3r said:

Just making sure, is it normal that every time a scene outside is loaded, the game freezes for 2-3 seconds to load Scatterer? It's kinda annoying when changing scenes frequently (testing a new craft) but still worth it.

If it's a problem on my side then even better as something can be done about it.

Edit: I'm using OpenGL if that helps anything.

it's normal.

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Does anybody know anything about the new buoyancy system and how it works? Specifically, I'm looking to change the height of what the buoyancy system considers as the "surface" for a given part or ship. If such a thing is even possible.

Ferram4 would know. You may have luck contacting him here or on reddit.

EDIT: I was thinking about similar stuff :) I'd like to see the NORMAL of waves be propagated to ships rocking as well, not just bobbing up and down ;)

Edited by rbray89

32 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Ferram4 would know. You may have luck contacting him here or on reddit.

EDIT: I was thinking about similar stuff :) I'd like to see the NORMAL of waves be propagated to ships rocking as well, not just bobbing up and down ;)

Me too, but how to model the forces correctly and not just tilt a ship in the direction of a wave's normal? Looks like I have some studying to do. I'll ask ferram.

As a first solution, I was thinking bobbing the different parts up and down depending on their position on a wave and their buyoancy would tilt the ship in the correct direction and make it look like it's "riding" a wave.

Holy moly, I guess it's a good thing I bought this shiny new laptop.  Of course, still waiting for a 'stable' release so I'll settle for rbray's clouds for the time being but it's pretty sweet to know this is on the horizon.

Man... your ocean shader will become a milestone, for sure. With that and the scattering you deserve by right your place in the olympus of the KSP modders.
You should sit next to Rbray, and please keep being kind with us, humble mortals. :D

6 hours ago, Proot said:

Man... your ocean shader will become a milestone, for sure. With that and the scattering you deserve by right your place in the olympus of the KSP modders.
You should sit next to Rbray, and please keep being kind with us, humble mortals. :D

Proot in my honest opinion you too should be sitting alongside him. :)

In fact I regarded you as being up there ever since I learned of KSPRC a year ago. Your work was all wizardry to me back then. :D

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Wow this ocean looks beautiful, cant wait to see it in action (hopefully on OpenGL :wink:). What you've done to this game so far is just amazing. Thanks and keep it up.

I can also confirm that :

19 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

For Linux compatibility the folder "Config" needs to be renamed as "config" otherwise the dll fails to load.

On Fedora 23 64bit.

1 hour ago, Li0n said:

Wow this ocean looks beautiful, cant wait to see it in action (hopefully on OpenGL :wink:). What you've done to this game so far is just amazing. Thanks and keep it up.

I can also confirm that :

On Fedora 23 64bit.

Don't worry, the ocean now works in OpenGL also.

I'm well aware of that issue.