[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

3 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

Thanks for the instructions. I reinstalled scatterer, loaded the game, played a bit with a black sky, then exited.  I didn't notice before, but the ocean seems to be missing, or, at the very least, it's surface seems to be absent. Kind of neat, if I was seeing this on some other planet.

See?
AS-1_zpsbdz3zfpu.jpg

The log file itself is over 40 MB. How can I make its contents available for someone to view? I can't just cut-n-paste it here, and I don't know of any services that I could upload it to for others to view.

You can use Dropbox or google drive

6 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I deleted the old log, reloaded all the game files, and then installed only scatterer and its one (sun flare) dependency and restarted the game. It's a much smaller file, now: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3L-ggK-tvpPQkFVVTJaTVJ5NVE

Thanks!

Have you tried installing manually? Ckan may be doing something wrong. I dunno. just give it a try

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

what Alshain was disliking was the amount of post processing on Kerbin causing it to look like the atmosphere was very very thick. so i cut the post processing down to 0.0 in orbit and changed the sky orbit alpha from 1 to 0.6 and made changes all the way to the ground to blend well together. I hope that answers the question.  The new shaders don't bother me one bit. Here is a comparison pic:

I'm glad you understood what I was saying.  I felt like I was just saying "It looks wrong" but I didn't know how to describe it better. :D

Just now, Alshain said:

I'm glad you understood what I was saying.  I felt like I was just saying "It looks wrong" but I didn't know how to describe it better. :D

well it was a complaint i got when i was helping develop SSRSS. If i remember correctly, i made the same changes like the ones here and people complained about it not having enough atmosphere. vOv no win situation. I like the way this looks though and thats all that matters

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

well it was a complaint i got when i was helping develop SSRSS. If i remember correctly, i made the same changes like the ones here and people complained about it not having enough atmosphere. vOv no win situation. I like the way this looks though and thats all that matters

Sounds like the same sort of scenario that led to the decline of clouds in EVE (stock).  I guess people complained they were too thick so rbray removed them down to almost none, of course my question is why would you install a cloud mod and not expect clouds?

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Sounds like the same sort of scenario that led to the decline of clouds in EVE (stock).  I guess people complained they were too thick so rbray removed them down to almost none, of course my question is why would you install a cloud mod and not expect clouds?

people are picky.. I'll never reduce the clouds. i love them too much

18 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Have you tried installing manually? Ckan may be doing something wrong. I dunno. just give it a try

Did you examine the log file before giving that advice? If it's CKAN fouling up the install, then they need to know, so they can correct the problem.

ETA: Uninstalling and then performing a manual install, just in case.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

2 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

Did you examine the log file before giving that advice? If it's CKAN fouling up the install, then they need to know, so they can correct the problem.

The fastest way to find out is not examining log files, it's installing it without CKAN and seeing if the problem goes away.  If it does, you have your answer without spending hours searching a cryptic log, if not, then searching the log might be warranted.

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

The fastest way to find out is not examining log files, it's installing it without CKAN and seeing if the problem goes away.  If it does, you have your answer without spending hours searching a cryptic log, if not, then searching the log might be warranted.

How would I know? This is the first time I've ever done this.

I downloaded the file from Spacedock. Are there any dependencies I need to download before I unload this into Gamedata and start the game again?

Well, it looks like I can install scatterer without any of the sunflare mods that CKAN won't let me install without. The sky is blue once more. Do I even need any of the sunflare mods? Also (nonsequitor) it's amazing to see how quickly the game loads when you have almost no mods installed*. :0.0:

* I usually have a lot of 'em.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

1 minute ago, SSgt Baloo said:

Well, it looks like I can install scatterer without any of the sunflare mods that CKAN won't let me install without. The sky is blue. Do I even need any of the sunflare mods? Also (nonsequitor) it's amazing to see how quickly the game loads when you have almost no mods installed*. :0.0:

* I usually have a lot of 'em.

no you dont NEED sunflare mods as scatterer comes with its own. The other sun flares I just consider a novelty. 

Edited by Galileo

Alrighty. @blackrack I got comparison images between Scatterer 0.255 and 0.256. - Here is the full album for more pictures, but to be simple, open up these images in separate tabs and just swap between them:

Terminator in 0.255

New terminator in 0.256

Face in 0.255

New face in 0.256

The effects in 0.256 are more washed out? That's the description that comes to my mind. It lost color and is more blue in this version. It's surprising how easy it is to see that difference :/ - Most apparent on the face when there isn't as much scattering.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

Both look good but one is just a little more real i guess i could say

Define "real", because I see a lot of people equating "realism" with how Earth would look, but Kerbin is not Earth. It's smaller and its atmosphere is way thinner. So why should we expect it to look like Earth? Scatterer is meant to recreate how light behaves in atmosphere, so if its working realistically by properly modeling the way light behaves in Kerbin's atmosphere we should not expect it to look exactly like Earth.

And also, when posting NASA photos or any space photos you should make sure it hasn't been overly processed

Edited by Drew Kerman

11 hours ago, blackrack said:

You're not wrong, the blending mode is a bit softer and the config needs to be tweaked a bit if you want it as bright as previous versions.

I found a setting that I like, Kerbin is brighter !!

FB156A55FAC714272FB6CD5A1F5A0467E1951E82

FD4EC7E97BDECF084A7A29BC35FE0FD739EE4A6F

B8273BAE49F87A39A51A975A445B7F9AD848279E

My setting is here.

Edited by Vandest

On 18.10.2016 at 6:06 PM, blackrack said:

Did you try to switch the "fix" off?

Sorry, but how exactly do you turn this "fix" off? I am experiencing exactly the same issues as Cromwell was...

NVM! I got it! Works perfectly now!!! Thank you so much for this mod!!

Edited by Epoxid

On 2016-10-19 at 11:30 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

64GB of RAM?!?! What on earth for??

I'm a programmer and do a lot of rendering work too. Especially when it comes to processing thousands of raw images for astrophotography.

Would I love to have a higher end GPU? Of course I would. However, not possible with Apple. Works good enough for me.

@blackrack

For Kerbin, I tried several things with the settings both in game and with the tool.
With the tool I think we can't do something better than what has already been done, but with the settings menu in game I can see that we can do more.
Let me explain, there is this setting: "experimentalAtmoScale", it would be very nice if this setting was inside the config point (with altitude), this would allow us to cheat with the Kerbin scale in specific situations.

My question is: Is it possible?

2 hours ago, Vandest said:

@blackrack

For Kerbin, I tried several things with the settings both in game and with the tool.
With the tool I think we can't do something better than what has already been done, but with the settings menu in game I can see that we can do more.
Let me explain, there is this setting: "experimentalAtmoScale", it would be very nice if this setting was inside the config point (with altitude), this would allow us to cheat with the Kerbin scale in specific situations.

My question is: Is it possible?

Ask and ye shall receive (I will do it for the next mini-update)

14 hours ago, Cromwell said:

I'm a programmer and do a lot of rendering work too. Especially when it comes to processing thousands of raw images for astrophotography.

Would I love to have a higher end GPU? Of course I would. However, not possible with Apple. Works good enough for me.

...and I thought my 24GB of ram was impressive. O.o

It's great cause I can run KSP with a load of mods and even though it's at 6000MB, It's only 40% the memory usage. Well, that's what Task Manager says anyway. Now all I need is a new Graphics Card so I can run this over 20FPS. xD