[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

On 7/20/2017 at 9:51 AM, selfish_meme said:

SVT is a 'terrain' pack, so only has ground textures for planetary bodies, you are probably talking about SVE which has the clouds and water, SVE comes with scatterer and EVE, EVE does clouds, scatterer does light and water.

Yeah, I know SVT is terrain only. Currently I'm only running a 2Gb 7870HD, so can't load the system too much. I just tried the high res SVE package through CKAN, but that didn't go well as expected. Might try the low res, or just wait for a new gfx card (hopefully not too far away)

On a side note, I did just realise I was using SVT without Kopernicus, so I was in fact using sweet F A. So at least that's fixed now.

On 17/07/2017 at 4:43 PM, JBore said:

Well, at least it was worth a try. Thanks again, even though it didn't pan out for either of us. 

Hey, just thought I'd let people who get halos with scatterer know a semi-workaround, @JBore @Epoxid.

If you go to the config menu in-game (option-F11) while in flight, cycle through the config points till you get to a point altitude high in the atmosphere (point 3 in my pic, 55kms up), and set sky/orbit rim exposure to 0. Then go through any remaining config points higher than the one you just edited and set those rim exposures to 0 as well. Then open map view (with the scatterer config still open) and set map view rim exposure to 0 as well. Don't forget to save atmosphere after. Then no more halos!

jZVHJQ6.png?1

You will lose the nice faded out rim of the atmosphere, and mountains will stand out at the rim too, but I'd rather have that than the halos, or uninstalling scatterer altogether.

ocnY0Br.png?1

21 hours ago, Rodger said:

Hey, just thought I'd let people who get halos with scatterer know a semi-workaround, @JBore @Epoxid.

If you go to the config menu in-game (option-F11) while in flight, cycle through the config points till you get to a point altitude high in the atmosphere (point 3 in my pic, 55kms up), and set sky/orbit rim exposure to 0. Then go through any remaining config points higher than the one you just edited and set those rim exposures to 0 as well. Then open map view (with the scatterer config still open) and set map view rim exposure to 0 as well. Don't forget to save atmosphere after. Then no more halos!

jZVHJQ6.png?1

You will lose the nice faded out rim of the atmosphere, and mountains will stand out at the rim too, but I'd rather have that than the halos, or uninstalling scatterer altogether.

ocnY0Br.png?1

Hey Rodger - Thanks for the suggestion - I appreciate your willingness to share this, and I'm happy that it's working for you. 

Unfortunately, when I did this, I got still got rings; what spqr setting did you use? 

Also, did you do this on a Mac?

Best,

JBORE

Yeah I'm on a mac, using alternate sqrt. Did you adjust the settings in-flight, so you can see changes as you make them? Did changing any of the numbers make a difference? You need to make sure you're editing the config points which are active in space. If you scroll to the bottom of the scatterer settings panel it will show you which cfg points are currently active, depending on the altitude of the in-flight camera (it's normally a blend of two cfg points)

And do you have any visual mods other than scatterer? I have SVE installed too, and also went into those cfg files manually and set the rim exposure to 0 too just in case they would overwrite the cfg changes I made in-game.

2 hours ago, mrpotato103 said:

the mod glitches every time i try to delete it can someone help the post above is the glitch the mod also glitches when in install it by having graphical glitches  

Then you are not doing something right. Uninstalling is as easy as deleting the scatterer folder out of your gamedata folder. I doubt very seriously that scatterer is causing this. If that problem happens without scatterer installed, then it's not scatterer causing the issue. It's impossible for scatterers dll to affect a game after it's been removed. Do some additional troubleshooting and double check your other mods.  

Also read this:

Edited by Galileo

5 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

When in SPC, opening scatterer UI, it always says (for ages now)

for Kerbin atmosphere settings.

The ocean settings show the correct path...

Yes it is like that, but it doesn't hurt anything if you leave it alone.

Another thing that I don't understand:

scatterer is a dependency for planet packs - so far, so good.

But when I install scatterer and a planet pack of my wish, it could happen that configs inside the scatterer folders contain paths to the planet pack ...

This means that scatterer has always to be deleted and freshly installed when changing the planet pack.

But why does it behave like that?

The planet packs got MM patches that are AFTER scatterer and everything regarding the planet packs should stay inside the folders of the planet packs and not inside scatterer, or am I wrong?

@Gordon Dry The reason why planet packs fight over the scatterer folder is because scatterer is not very friendly to MM, so some of its files need to be edited by hand or replaced in order for some visual features to work. This situation has only begun to change... Some files still need manual patching or replacing for a given planet pack's visuals to work.

Has scatterer ever been in the state of "release" for a specific KSP version, or was it always "dev"?

I wonder, because all over the place ppl have issues.

Sometimes I test a new released planet pack and it looks good - then I test another, it's bugged. Later the bugged one looks good but the updated other one that was good before is bugged now.

I lose the oversight ...

@Gordon Dry scatterer has always been in a prerelease state. Its version number still starts with 0. :D All us modders develop issues due to a number of things including:

• Most of us are neither Squad nor staffers of some giant software company
  • KSP's source is not open to us
  • KSP itself is still very unstable and buggy
  • It's a fact of life as a coder. Code errors will crop up. At the same time one person fixes or improves something, the other finds something that needs to be fixed, or as a result of one fix, a new error will crop up.
  • We're only human
Edited by JadeOfMaar

7 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Has scatterer ever been in the state of "release" for a specific KSP version, or was it always "dev"?

I wonder, because all over the place ppl have issues.

Sometimes I test a new released planet pack and it looks good - then I test another, it's bugged. Later the bugged one looks good but the updated other one that was good before is bugged now.

I lose the oversight ...

For as long as I have been a member of this community, scatterer has said WIP in the thread title. Scatterer has been mostly stable from release to release through out its life span. It's the "modders" that have no idea what they are doing that introduce bugs that are easily avoidable. The "bug" you brought up about paths is a very small issue that doesn't hurt anything in game. It may annoy the OCD players, but it's harmless. And @JadeOfMaar is absolutely right. With a project the size of scatterer, and one developer, expect something to go wrong here or there. Luckily, what we have is mostly working so long as people don't go mucking around with things

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

The "bug" you brought up about paths is a very small issue that doesn't hurt anything in game.

Somehow you're right.

But everybody has to stumble upon this logic: "remove scatterer and freshly install it before changing a planet pack".

It's then one game load less to wait for until seeing the bad result.

Perhaps you guessed it, I tested the new release of AVP and had the all-whitish-issue because of the paths of the old pack inside scatterer configs ...

19 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Somehow you're right.

But everybody has to stumble upon this logic: "remove scatterer and freshly install it before changing a planet pack".

It's then one game load less to wait for until seeing the bad result.

Perhaps you guessed it, I tested the new release of AVP and had the all-whitish-issue because of the paths of the old pack inside scatterer configs ...

I have never had to switch out for a fresh scatterer so I'm unaware of what you are talking about. It seems it's not a scatterer problem but the fact that the dev doesn't know how to use scatterer and MM. if they include a complete bundled scatterer folder, and you forget to swap it out when you switch planet packs, that's not scatterers issue, that's your issue for forgetting and the other planet packs  developers issue for not implementing MM.

All of my mods that use Scatterer, do so through Module Manager. Using that method, I avoid having to install a fresh copy of scatterer every time I switch between mods. Devs that don't use that method are the people that you should bring that up with. Not the scatterer dev.

Edited by Galileo

That's a point I didn't explicitly mention. Most planet pack makers haven't begun to use MM in their scatterer configs. They don't anticipate the problems of their visual pack colliding with others. So if they include an entire copy of scatterer that's an issue they have to deal with, and until they do, it's also an issue you have to deal with. :/ 

I've had to switch out scatterer at times, and I hate when I do so, because:

• I generally know which exact file(s) a planet pack modified and that makes things tedious.
  • I don't feel motivated to pick at and replace those files, and sometimes maybe more files are changed than I expect so I lazily replace the whole scatterer folder.
  • I've seen first-hand Galileo's efforts and examples to overcome this as scatterer gets better.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:
  • We're only human

Judging by the quality, size and creativity of many KSP mods I doubt this. I seriously suspect the real last name of some modders is 'Kerman' and they have big eyes in their cute green heads :D

Edited by Raphaello

16 hours ago, Galileo said:

All of my mods that use Scatterer, do so through Module Manager. Using that method, I avoid having to install a fresh copy of scatterer every time I switch between mods. Devs that don't use that method are the people that you should bring that up with. Not the scatterer dev.

THIS!

A few of us fought hard bugging Blackrack to work towards good MM compatibility and we should all be thankful that recently he reworked the config structure to do just this. Now we have this ability, all of your visual content creators should adopt this approach... or else! :P 

Howdy,

I'm new to the mod scene so I apologize if I missed the answer to my problem.  I'm not exactly sure what to call it so here is a screen shot.  I turned off and on most of the setting for scatterer without any luck.  I'm using 1.2.2 on a Mac, recent OSX.  I've only installed this mod on a clean install of KSP.  Any guidance would be awesome.  Thanks.

nwSvNm1.png

Edited by Bucky9000