[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

4 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

This may be a fluke, I'll reinstall scatterer to be sure, but after installing the patch, I encountered a glitch were kerbin's sky turned orange.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45p16zul635159w/KSP.log?dl=0

12 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

I have submitted a report of the original issue and another issue i found while recreating original 

Best of luck

I have been testing this morning with the new test release and a combination of various other popular mods (SVE, EVE etc) and couldn't reproduce andy of these white/orange sky issues. Can you make sure you don't have duplicate scatterer files or directories? I can't think of anything causing your issue.

I released the new version

Changelog:

-Fix issue where space is black and planets are invisible
-Fix flipped post-processing without AA on direct3D
-Fix gas giants visible through other planets
-Fix refraction and post-processing effects not applying to new mk1-3 pod 

Links in the OP.

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

I released the new version

Changelog:

-Fix issue where space is black and planets are invisible
-Fix flipped post-processing without AA on direct3D
-Fix gas giants visible through other planets
-Fix refraction and post-processing effects not applying to new mk1-3 pod 

Links in the OP.

Thanks, blackrack.

In SPC and at launchpad at night, the custom skybox I added using DiRT is not shown, just a dark sky and the EVE/SVE/scatterer atmosphere.

Before I added new scatterer I still had the skybox visible at night from SPC or launchpad.
I also added new Kopernicus and the latest release version of sarbian's ModularFlightIntegrator as @Thomas P. said, it should still work with KSP 1.4.x. - he said "The original dll works just fine, and I would rather use sarbians builds instead of unofficial recompiles." because I found this recompile: https://github.com/4669842/ModularFlightIntegrator/releases (I could of course also test that one).
^I did that to check if it works (Kopernicus should only add Jool rings through EVE/SVE) as preparation for KSS (Kerbal Star System) when it's updated for KSP 1.4.2

And of course I'm not sure what exactly is doing this but scatterer was the last thing I added beside Kopernicus and ModularFlightIntegrator.
And PlanetShine and DistantObjectEnhancement have been installed before and working, just to mention.

I tried toggling several scatterer settings in main menu incl. disableAmbientLight but no avail.

The last thing I should mention is I launched KSP_x64 using -force-glcore

I will do a new test run without scatterer for sure and will report back.

As long - the log for now after exiting KSP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlrg9sv5wgbfg9r/2018-03-31_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edit:

So for now, when removing only scatterer, at first the issue is the same, but now by disabling the "Dynamic Sky Dimming" of Distant Object Enhancement shows the skybox in the night sky while at the launch pad.
With scatterer it was not shown at all.
I will check the Distant Object Enhancement thread now.

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

In SPC and at launchpad at night, the custom skybox I added using DiRT is not shown, just a dark sky and the EVE/SVE/scatterer atmosphere.

Before I added new scatterer I still had the skybox visible at night from SPC or launchpad.
I also added new Kopernicus and the latest release version of sarbian's ModularFlightIntegrator as @Thomas P. said, it should still work with KSP 1.4.x. - he said "The original dll works just fine, and I would rather use sarbians builds instead of unofficial recompiles." because I found this recompile: https://github.com/4669842/ModularFlightIntegrator/releases (I could of course also test that one).
^I did that to check if it works (Kopernicus should only add Jool rings through EVE/SVE) as preparation for KSS (Kerbal Star System) when it's updated for KSP 1.4.2

And of course I'm not sure what exactly is doing this but scatterer was the last thing I added beside Kopernicus and ModularFlightIntegrator.
And PlanetShine and DistantObjectEnhancement have been installed before and working, just to mention.

I tried toggling several scatterer settings in main menu incl. disableAmbientLight but no avail.

The last thing I should mention is I launched KSP_x64 using -force-glcore

I will do a new test run without scatterer for sure and will report back.

As long - the log for now after exiting KSP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlrg9sv5wgbfg9r/2018-03-31_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edit:

So for now, when removing only scatterer, at first the issue is the same, but now by disabling the "Dynamic Sky Dimming" of Distant Object Enhancement shows the skybox in the night sky while at the launch pad.
With scatterer it was not shown at all.
I will check the Distant Object Enhancement thread now.

Please provide screenshots

I cannot, for the life of me, get consistent results when trying to troubleshoot this. Some observations:

1) If I remove every one of my mods except scatterer, it goes away.

2) If I remove only scatterer, it goes away.

1) and 2) suggest conflict between scatterer and another mod

3) I can remove every one of my mods except scatterer, reload the game, then exit and put all my mods back in and reload the game and the problem is fixed temporarily. :confused:

KSP: 1.4.2 Windows 64bit

Problem: Strange color gradient in atmosphere

Mods installed:

Mods

Log:

Output Log

bmQ31vX.jpg

On 3/31/2018 at 12:54 PM, blackrack said:

I have been testing this morning with the new test release and a combination of various other popular mods (SVE, EVE etc) and couldn't reproduce andy of these white/orange sky issues. Can you make sure you don't have duplicate scatterer files or directories? I can't think of anything causing your issue.

@blackrack first of all, thank you, your mod is amazing.

I encountered the same glitch about the orange sky (and missing sea), just to add some comments, it’s happening to me too, strange things is that it happens only for certain vehicles after the physics easing is applied.

So 90% of the time it never happens, for some vechicles (I’m thinking a compatibility issue with a part mod.. possible?) it struck on launchpad.

I’m using it with SVE, if I remove scatterer the glitch disappears.

6 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

@rawghi @Kwebib and other guys using SVE: I noticed that the latest version of SVE contains an MM patch that nukes some of scatterer features. Could you try removing the scatterer configs from SVE folder and checking if the issue persists?

Sure! As soon as I’m at home I’ll give a shot!

1 hour ago, m4ti140 said:

@rawghi @Kwebib and other guys using SVE: I noticed that the latest version of SVE contains an MM patch that nukes some of scatterer features. Could you try removing the scatterer configs from SVE folder and checking if the issue persists?

you mean these "nuked"  features?

@Scatterer_config:FOR[StockVisualEnhancements]
{
	%oceanRefraction = False
	%oceanPixelLights = False
	%terrainShadows = False
}

No, these will not cause the issue you are seeing.

3 hours ago, rawghi said:

I encountered the same glitch about the orange sky (and missing sea), just to add some comments, it’s happening to me too, strange things is that it happens only for certain vehicles after the physics easing is applied.

So 90% of the time it never happens, for some vechicles (I’m thinking a compatibility issue with a part mod.. possible?) it struck on launchpad.

Lets do some simple troubleshooting. Let's determine if the bug happens in the most minimal install possible.

1.Remove all of your mods.
2. Install only SVE and its dependencies (EVE and Scatterer) 
3. Run the game. If you don't have the issue, great! Now add your mods back a couple at a time until you see the issue. This will help you narrow down which mod is the issue. Then make a bug report to that mod author.

@Kwebib Looking at your mods, you are using mods that are known to not work properly in 1.4.X. One being Reentry Particle Effect. That may not be your issue, but it makes it much harder for developers to debug issues when you are using outdated mods. I also recommend you follow my instruction above. 

Mod authors don't have endless hours of free time, especially blackrack, who works full time and maintains scatterer in the little free time he does get, so when we have bugs, we need to be ready to present them with the quickest way to reproduce the issue. Reporting a bug without doing your due diligence just isn't fair. 

Personally, cannot replicate this bug, and I have tried for the last 2 hours. If it is a mod incompatibility, its on the user to narrow down what mod is causing this. Blackrack cannot download every part mod and test each part on the launch pad to figure this out. So, lets try to help him out, yeah?

Edited by Galileo

Thank you for the continued updates and hard work, @blackrack. I'm getting a Null Reference Exception when exiting the  tracking center back to the space center. I have snipped the relevant error code from the log below, but I have also uploaded my log file here. I've tested this on a clean 1.4.2 install with only Making History and Scatter v0.0329 installed.   

@Galileo Thanks for the quick reply. I Uploaded wrong log file, doh! This is correct file.

Output log link

[LOG 06:30:55.110] [Scatterer] Effects couldn't be loaded for Kerbin because of exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Edited by nebuchadnezzar
wrong file

2 minutes ago, nebuchadnezzar said:

Thank you for the continued updates and hard work, @blackrack. I'm getting a Null Reference Exception when exiting the  tracking center back to the space center. I have snipped the relevant error code from the log below, but I have also uploaded my log file here. I've tested this on a clean 1.4.2 install with only Making History and Scatter v0.0329 installed.   

your logs tell me you are on KSP

[KSP Version]: 1.1.0.1230

and that these are the folders in your GameData

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager.2.6.22 v2.6.22.0
B9_Aerospace_WingStuff v1.0.0.0
Stock assembly: KSPUtil v0.0.0.0
modularFuelTanks v5.7.0.0 / v5.7.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.33
Stock assembly: SaveUpgradePipeline.Scripts v1.0.0.2 / v1.0.0.21
Stock assembly: Steamworks.NET v8.0.0.0 / v8.0.0

Folders and files in GameData:
B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
ModularFuelTanks
Stock folder: Squad

ModuleManager.2.6.22.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree

Just so you know, the output logs are no longer in your KSP_x64_Data folder. They are now located in: Local Disk\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program

Edited by Galileo

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

you mean these "nuked"  features?

@Scatterer_config:FOR[StockVisualEnhancements]
{
	%oceanRefraction = False
	%oceanPixelLights = False
	%terrainShadows = False
}

No, these will not cause the issue you are seeing.

Lets do some simple troubleshooting. Let's determine if the bug happens in the most minimal install possible.

1.Remove all of your mods.
2. Install only SVE and its dependencies (EVE and Scatterer) 
3. Run the game. If you don't have the issue, great! Now add your mods back a couple at a time until you see the issue. This will help you narrow down which mod is the issue. Then make a bug report to that mod author.

@Kwebib Looking at your mods, you are using mods that are known to not work properly in 1.4.X. One being Reentry Particle Effect. That may not be your issue, but it makes it much harder for developers to debug issues when you are using outdated mods. I also recommend you follow my instruction above. 

Mod authors don't have endless hours of free time, especially blackrack, who works full time and maintains scatterer in the little free time he does get, so when we have bugs, we need to be ready to present them with the quickest way to reproduce the issue. Reporting a bug without doing your due diligence just isn't fair. 

Personally, cannot replicate this bug, and I have tried for the last 2 hours. If it is a mod incompatibility, its on the user to narrow down what mod is causing this. Blackrack cannot download every part mod and test each part on the launch pad to figure this out. So, lets try to help him out, yeah?

You’re absolutely right Galileo, my quick addition was more hoping that a situation like that already happened.

Generally speaking, pretending a mod developer to actually recreate my situation is quite impossible (neither what I was asking) because there is just a concurrency of factor that undermine any kind of effort in doing this with an engineered approach.

As I mentioned, in my case happens only on specific vessel under specific circumstances, so with more than 30 mods mine was just a “hey guys I have an additional hint” rather than a “help me sorting this bug out” because, as developer in life and modded in free time, I totally understand that it’s just an impossible request and there aren’t even the prerequisite to use my environment as a test bench.

I’ll anyway perform some investigation and let you know if I manage to understand the root cause.

@Gordon Dry I played around with settings a little, and it looks like the night sky turns black when water refraction is turned on. Don't know why that happens, but for me disabling it fixes the starless sky issue (although I'd rather keep the refraction, so it's a loss-loss).

Just a quick update about the orange sky and missing ocean.

It happens even removing SVE/EVE, only for a particular vessel that I’m using (stock plus NRAP/Mechjeb) and if you open the scatterer menu you can:

- disable the orange sky removing the post processing effect (thus losing the PPE obviously)

- fix the missing ocean by simply click on “Rebuild ocean”

As stated before I’m posting mainly for information purpose, I don’t think it’s worth investigating as the issue is very limited and easily “workaroundable”

On 01/04/2018 at 12:16 AM, Gordon Dry said:

@blackrack @MOARdV Hmm. During the last session without scatterer I disabled the Dynamic Sky Dimming and re-enabled it and now, in this session with scatterer, everything is okay again ...

I don't get it.

Edit:

actual screenshots

Reveal hidden contents

LeT11kl.png

K1zladi.png

23 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

@Gordon Dry I played around with settings a little, and it looks like the night sky turns black when water refraction is turned on. Don't know why that happens, but for me disabling it fixes the starless sky issue (although I'd rather keep the refraction, so it's a loss-loss).

So basically it's the same bug as before where everything in space becomes black except now it happens only when you're close enough to the sea for the refractions to be active? Got it.

On 01/04/2018 at 8:13 PM, Kwebib said:

I cannot, for the life of me, get consistent results when trying to troubleshoot this. Some observations:

1) If I remove every one of my mods except scatterer, it goes away.

2) If I remove only scatterer, it goes away.

1) and 2) suggest conflict between scatterer and another mod

3) I can remove every one of my mods except scatterer, reload the game, then exit and put all my mods back in and reload the game and the problem is fixed temporarily. :confused:

KSP: 1.4.2 Windows 64bit

Problem: Strange color gradient in atmosphere

Mods installed:

Mods

Log:

Output Log

I can't really see much going on here, can you post more screenshots? Maybe link to an album on imgur.

On 02/04/2018 at 12:19 PM, rawghi said:

If you find a way to reproduce it consistently post some reproduction steps.

2 hours ago, TheProtagonists said:

That update was fast. Thank you for your work!

Just to confirm, the effects in tracking station is still not working as of 0.0329, right?

It's working fine here. See the OP for how to file a bug report.

17 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I can't really see much going on here, can you post more screenshots? Maybe link to an album on imgur

I've since removed all my mods and am adding them back in one by one. I'll get back with you with more pictures once I get it to break again.

@blackrack Another weird thing I found: The eastern night sky is permanently like this, even right after sunset:

Gkwakod.png

The sky also appears to suddenly cutoff to black with no transition the moment dawn comes - might have been there before though, so not sure if it's a bug or just me nitpicking.

Edited by m4ti140

Was having a massive issue with invisible planets, did 10 mins of testing, narrowed issue to this and Galileo's Sun Flares... Then read the changelog and found this is a known and fixed Scatterer issue.

All that testing, and all I needed to do was read a changelog... Silly me.

Edited by TDplay