[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

16 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Thank you for your continued efforts, Blackrack, they are truly appreciated! :D 

I think Scrawk's https://github.com/Scrawk/Brunetons-Improved-Atmospheric-Scattering specifically fixes this issue:

Hmm, these are different things actually, the improved atmospheric scattering fixes a limitation inherent to the original Proland implementation, which causes a discontinuity around the horizon line, as seen here (old screenshot but it will do the trick)

2SIVU0D.jpg

While the one I want to fix next is related to how the postprocessing is handled within KSP and causes these aliasing artifacts

x7Fyp7h.png

k8AJGIi.png

Not saying the first one isn't worth fixing, but it will have to be later

16 hours ago, damonvv said:

I cannot say how thankful I am for this. I've been promoting this bug since the 1.4 update and now the very own scatterer mod has fixed a stock bug. Amazing! Thank you!

Hmm, this doesn't fix the stock bug actually but the discontinuity scatterer's post-processing, which was 100x more noticeable than the stock bug.

12 hours ago, EdwardB3020 said:

What are computer specs requirements to be able to run this mod? I want to be able to run it smoothly with no lag.

Define "smoothly with no lag". With a GTX 1060 3gb at 1080p I average 60-80 fps on planet surface and something like 50-75 if I add EVE.

I would say you need a decent midrange GPU.

5 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Hmm, these are different things actually, the improved atmospheric scattering fixes a limitation inherent to the original Proland implementation, which causes a discontinuity around the horizon line, as seen here (old screenshot but it will do the trick)

While the one I want to fix next is related to how the postprocessing is handled within KSP and causes these aliasing artifacts

Not saying the first one isn't worth fixing, but it will have to be later

Ah right, yes; I remember talking to Damon recently where he pointed out the aliased-horizon issue... I'm sure he will be pleased.

With respect to the effect rendering at the spherical horizon, not occluded by terrain in front, its like the last major gremlin that has been harassing Scatterer for a long time waiting to be resolved. If/When that is resolved, have you ever thought of moving Scatterer out of 'Development' and into a 'Release' state?

(I wouldn't blame you if you said, "I never want to move out of Dev. status :D )

10 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Ah right, yes; I remember talking to Damon recently where he pointed out the aliased-horizon issue... I'm sure he will be pleased.

With respect to the effect rendering at the spherical horizon, not occluded by terrain in front, its like the last major gremlin that has been harassing Scatterer for a long time waiting to be resolved. If/When that is resolved, have you ever thought of moving Scatterer out of 'Development' and into a 'Release' state?

(I wouldn't blame you if you said, "I never want to move out of Dev. status :D )

Hmm, I think we will stay a while in Dev it's more fun :)

This is not a problem, just a curiosity question.  Why is it that with planet packs, environmental mods like Scatterer or EVE work on some worlds and not others?  Does this have to do with the way the planet pack builder set up their worlds?  For example, Gameslink's Planet Pack looks gorgeous with Scatterer, but on Kersex, his atmospheric world in the Kronkus Planet pack, there are no clouds and the ocean does not change.

Again, not a problem nor a request. I'm not a coder and am just curious.

Edited by Klapaucius

2 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

This is not a problem, just a curiosity question.  Why is it that with planet packs, Scatterer works on some worlds and not others?  Does this have to do with the way the planet pack builder set up their worlds?  For example, Gameslink's Planet Pack looks gorgeous with Scatterer, but on Kersex, his atmospheric world in the Kronkus Planet pack, there are no clouds and the ocean does not change.

Remove SVE and the problem is solved. It’s the same problem I had with Niakos Planet pack. It has to do that some people use an older way to get things working that it can conflict with eachother. 

13 minutes ago, damonvv said:

Remove SVE and the problem is solved. It’s the same problem I had with Niakos Planet pack. It has to do that some people use an older way to get things working that it can conflict with eachother. 

I gave that a try, but it did not change anything...

Edited by Klapaucius

28 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

This is not a problem, just a curiosity question.  Why is it that with planet packs, environmental mods like Scatterer or EVE work on some worlds and not others?  Does this have to do with the way the planet pack builder set up their worlds?  For example, Gameslink's Planet Pack looks gorgeous with Scatterer, but on Kersex, his atmospheric world in the Kronkus Planet pack, there are no clouds and the ocean does not change.

I don't know about these planet packs, but you need to provide a custom scatterer config for every planet you want to have the effect on, I would start by looking if there's scatterer configs included.

Also, a fair while back, Scatterer refactored in a way such that it enabled Module Manager to interact with Scatterer to allow for mod makers to patch in their scatterer configs and entries to the Planets List so that interopability between mods could become much better without conflicts... however, a lot of mods have either not updated to cater for this change or are doing so incorrectly... and therefore conflicts occur.

Edited by Poodmund

On 12/29/2018 at 12:34 PM, Klapaucius said:

I correctly disable the scatterer config and planetlist included in the default scatterer download and provide my own in my own folder for my own planets. Kronkus Planet Pack likely doesn't do this, and so GPO (Gameslinx's planet overhaul) is disabling them because the author didn't set up their config properly.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:28 PM, blackrack said:

Define "smoothly with no lag". With a GTX 1060 3gb at 1080p I average 60-80 fps on planet surface and something like 50-75 if I add EVE.

I would say you need a decent midrange GPU.

Important to mention what resolution you're targeting with those stats please? I'm waiting for my new monitor to arrive, so keen to hear about performance at various resolutions.

19 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Important to mention what resolution you're targeting with those stats please? I'm waiting for my new monitor to arrive, so keen to hear about performance at various resolutions.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:58 AM, blackrack said:

KSP: 1.5.1 Windows 64bit

Problem: Flickering Screen

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0336

Reproduction steps:

All I need is to be in the game for about 3-5 minutes and no matter what I'm doing my entire monitor will start flickering. I am then forced to close KSP as the flickering gets worse and worse the longer I wait.

I've tried Scatterer with other mods and by itself and have narrowed down that it is definitely Scatterer causing this issue. I can uninstall Scatterer, install 50 other mods, and won't run into this problem. I'm worried that something may be wrong with my graphics card or something internal as I can not find any others experiencing this same issue.

This is my favorite graphics mod for KSP, I would be very disappointed if I am unable to run it on my Laptop.

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bma6ck8ifdeudv6/output_log.txt?dl=0

Here is a link to my log. The last time I started the game I had uninstalled every Mod Except Scatterer, Scatterer default config, and Scatterer sunflare.  Then I simply loaded a ship onto the launchpad and sat there for a couple minutes until the screen began flickering.  I then force closed the game.  I install all of my mods via CKAN.

5 hours ago, Adamcor said:

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0336

Reproduction steps:

All I need is to be in the game for about 3-5 minutes and no matter what I'm doing my entire monitor will start flickering. I am then forced to close KSP as the flickering gets worse and worse the longer I wait.

I've tried Scatterer with other mods and by itself and have narrowed down that it is definitely Scatterer causing this issue. I can uninstall Scatterer, install 50 other mods, and won't run into this problem. I'm worried that something may be wrong with my graphics card or something internal as I can not find any others experiencing this same issue.

This is my favorite graphics mod for KSP, I would be very disappointed if I am unable to run it on my Laptop.

Log:

Here is a link to my log. The last time I started the game I had uninstalled every Mod Except Scatterer, Scatterer default config, and Scatterer sunflare.  Then I simply loaded a ship onto the launchpad and sat there for a couple minutes until the screen began flickering.  I then force closed the game.  I install all of my mods via CKAN.

Would need to see a video of this

Hello. I would like to thank you for coming back and developing this amazing mod. It's great that the last significant bugs will be fixed.

So I bought you a small beer via paypal :) Cheers

Edited by Walker

7 hours ago, Adamcor said:

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0336

Reproduction steps:

Log:

Do it again - ie load KSP sit there, monitor RAM usage and GPU temps while waiting for flicker / during flicker - laptops arent the best w regards to GPU cooling considering scatterer can put a bit of load on the GPU

Considering here that KSP + scatterer works fine for a few mins before it happens ofc

Edited by gsc

5 hours ago, blackrack said:

Would need to see a video of this

3 hours ago, gsc said:

Do it again - ie load KSP sit there, monitor RAM usage and GPU temps while waiting for flicker / during flicker - laptops arent the best w regards to GPU cooling considering scatterer can put a bit of load on the GPU

Considering here that KSP + scatterer works fine for a few mins before it happens ofc

I just attempted to record a video of the screen flickering but it looks like it does not appear on any recordings. I'll upload the video just in case it's of any use (the flickering starts around 2:30).

https://streamable.com/r41lm

I've also got RAM usage and GPU temps in the background. It looks like this flickering starts occurring when my GPU reaches around 80 degrees C. Think my GPU just isn't up to the task of handling this mod?

4 hours ago, Walker said:

Hello. I would like to thank you for coming back and developing this amazing mod. It's great that the last significant bugs will be fixed.

So I bought you a small beer via paypal :) Cheers

Thank you, I have managed to fix the tsunami bug as well (thanks to @damonvv for his reproduction method), more testing is necessary to verify it's gone for good however :)

24 minutes ago, Adamcor said:

I just attempted to record a video of the screen flickering but it looks like it does not appear on any recordings. I'll upload the video just in case it's of any use (the flickering starts around 2:30).

https://streamable.com/r41lm

I've also got RAM usage and GPU temps in the background. It looks like this flickering starts occurring when my GPU reaches around 80 degrees C. Think my GPU just isn't up to the task of handling this mod?

Hmm, if it doesn't appear on the recording then it looks like it's an issue with your system and not the game itself or the mod. I suggest downvolting or downclocking your GPU, setting a more agressive fan profile, or setting a framerate limit, and verifying if it holds better when temps are lower.