[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Found my issue. CKAN is installing version 0.0540 instead of 0.0541, AKA it's installing the 1.7 version of the mod instead of version 1.8. This means the metadata on CKAN is probably incorrect.unknown.png

Edit: This was probably a misconfiguration in my CKAN.

Edited by Tahvohck

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

is anyone else having the problem of the ksc being underwater? I dont know what is going on

That has been fixed a while ago. Simply update to the latest version of Scatterer and you should be good.

I'm reasonably sure this is a base game problem, but as it affects scatterer as well and all the shader gurus seem to hang out in this thread, I'm posting it here too in the hopes of a nibble.

KSP 1.7.3 looks just fine.
KSP 1.7.3 + Scatterer 0.0540 looks even better, just how it should.
KSP 1.8.1 appears to have some acquired some funkiness, I swear the atmosphere shouldn't be shades of grey when seen from space:
preview

KSP 1.8.1 + scatterer 0.0541 (or 0.0540) is even funkier:
preview

Here be KSP.log.
Here be Player.log.

And here be a snippet from Player.log which appears in KSP 1.8.1, but not in 1.7.3:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - All passes removed
WARNING: Shader Did you use #pragma only_renderers and omit this platform?
ERROR: Shader Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities' - Setting to default shader.

Any thoughts, oh graphics gurus? KSP looking terrible I can handle, but scatter being upset is utterly depressing.

Edited by steve_v

2 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

You make it seem like this is an issue with the menu. Is it actually an in-game problem?

It's much the same in every scene where kerbin is visible from space. But scratch all that, I have just discovered that the two problems are not related at all.

Actually scatterer related problem report follows:

It would appear that scatterer is failing to resolve symbolic links properly when loading some of it's files. Why I don't know, Neither the base game nor any other mod I have ever used has this problem.

No revealing exception is generated until I load into the game proper, which I ran out of time to do earlier as a result of being called out to an instrumentation fault in the middle of a storm (yay).

So here is the first and most handy clue:

[Scatterer] Custom sunflare cannot be added to Sun System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "/home/steve/Games/KSP_Linux_1.8.1/GameData_scatterer/config/Sunflares/Sun/sunSpikes.png".
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x00164] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
  at System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes (System.String path) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at scatterer.SunFlare.start () [0x000ba] in <b83aac02f0a14d468c952212b6223826>:0 
  at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x001d5] in <b83aac02f0a14d468c952212b6223826>:0 

I don't know where it's getting "KSP_Linux_1.8.1/GameData_scatterer", the real path is "KSP_Linux_1.8.1/GameData_Testing/scatterer", where  GameData -> GameData_Testing is a symlink:

readlink -e /home/steve/Games/KSP_Linux_1.8.1/GameData/scatterer
/home/steve/Games/KSP_Linux_1.8.1/GameData_Testing/scatterer

So, the pertinent question is: Why does every other plugin in the ~85 mods I'm running find it's files just fine in this situation, while scatter comes up with a mangled path if a symlink is involved? What's different in the way scatterer resolves canonical file paths?
This is the only time I have ever seen a problem like this with any application whatsoever, and that's why it didn't occur to me to test without the link in the first place. Most curious.

As for the original question - why the atmosphere halo in the stock game is messed up and what that new noise about an unsupported shader implies - that I'd also like some input on. Now technically off-topic for this thread, but still... And this time I swear it's got nothing to do with symlinks or strange file paths. :P

Edited by steve_v
Aha. Now that I'm not rushing, the situation becomes clear.

7 minutes ago, Arco123 said:

Reinstall Scatterer. This happened to me and you gotta reinstall correctly, sometimes it does this. It worked for me.  

I have, repeatedly. The problem is not that it's missing some files or in the wrong directory,  it's that it can't find its own stuff if the GameData directory is redirected with a symbolic link. All the other mods in there are perfectly happy with this situation.
The game itself found and loaded scatterer through that same link, and from my admittedly very casual look at the source it appears scatterer is just using the standard methods shipped with the game for file I/O. Odd. I'm missing something obvious, but a reinstall it is not.

@steve_v Scatterer is not 'resolving' any file paths. It has no idea about that. It just knows it ran into an exception and it's printing out the exception (System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException) that it caught in its exception handling. 

Edit: Ok, not quite correct, sorry. There's some file handling going on elsewhere. It's fairly straightforward but it fully expects that the game data folder is named GameData and not GameData_testing - and the only way I see this happening is if the actual folder name of GameData_testing is being exposed to it.

If you absolutely have to have this current setup then move GameData_Testing to Testing/GameData (that is, make a folder named Testing and put your GameData_Testing in that folder but rename it GameData

Edited by Starwaster

The trees / scatterer not being "scattered" is on purpose, right? It looks a little funny when I dial them up to a high % and I see crisp, sharp trees way off in the hazy distance :)

So, instead I just turn around and stare at the GORGEOUS water. :)

11 hours ago, blackrack said:

That's poorly written code from my early days, it looks for GameData in your plugin path to find the GameData folder and then probably takes directly what's before or after. I will look into it but it should be easy to fix.

Thanks dude. To be fair, that kind of assumption is probably perfectly safe on Windows, It's just us *nixers who like to throw symlinks around like confetti. I really can't blame you for not anticipating it.

I suspect it's actually easy enough to fix for even a complete .NET noob like myself to sort out if he could find the motivation, but it's your baby so it's probably better if you tickle it.

Edited by steve_v

7 hours ago, Likasombodee said:

When I look at the sun from earth I see multiple little suns in a grid like pattern? Anyone know of this bug. tried googling.

I think you're using an older version of scatterer on a newer version of KSP.

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

Thanks dude. To be fair, that kind of assumption is probably perfectly safe on Windows, It's just us *nixers who like to throw symlinks around like confetti. I really can't blame you for not anticipating it.

I suspect it's actually easy enough to fix for even a complete .NET noob like myself to sort out if he could find the motivation, but it's your baby so it's probably better if you tickle it.

Does EVE work fine with your setup? I thought it looks for "GameData" also.

Edited: Same for TexturesUnlimited

Edited by blackrack

17 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Does EVE work fine with your setup?

Yurp.
preview

31 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Same for TexturesUnlimited

I've never used it so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work (I hear Feline Utility rovers can use it, so loaded up some of those parts as a test), but it seems to me like it just flat doesn't, whether GameData is a symlink or not. No shiny shiny, textures look identical to me. :(
What it does do is spam: "OpenGL Error: Invalid texture unit!" in the log incessantly, but it throws no I/O related exceptions. A quick search throws that GL error up as a "Known issue" for some releases of Unity 2019 on GNU/Linux, so I'm guessing it's just the usual Unity borkage on this platform.

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Yurp.
preview

I've never used it so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work (I hear Feline Utility rovers can use it, so loaded up some of those parts as a test), but it seems to me like it just flat doesn't, whether GameData is a symlink or not. No shiny shiny, textures look identical to me. :(
What it does do is spam: "OpenGL Error: Invalid texture unit!" in the log incessantly, but it throws no I/O related exceptions. A quick search throws that GL error up as a "Known issue" for some releases of Unity 2019 on GNU/Linux, so I'm guessing it's just the usual Unity borkage on this platform.

No idea about TU error, but I know what to do for the scatterer issue.

Edited by blackrack

37 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I know what to do for the scatterer issue.

Excellent...

Wait, It's not "Hit Steve with a moist haddock for doing silly things with links" by chance, is it? :P

On 2/4/2020 at 11:39 PM, steve_v said:

Actually, we have symlinks too. And, apparently, the latest update to Vortex decided (totally without my permission) that it was going to symlink my Subnautica mods instead of actually copying the files into Subnautica's folder and Subnautica really did not like that. NOT. ONE. BIT.