[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

1 hour ago, Brikoleur said:

Nice comparison. 

Maybe it is a tiny bit too milky?

I don't have pics handy, but there was a change at some point that Scatterer did take on a thicker looking atmosphere for Kerbin. I prefer the older one too since Kerbin's atmosphere is thinner than Earth's so I don't prefer it looking like Earth

15 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I don't have pics handy, but there was a change at some point that Scatterer did take on a thicker looking atmosphere for Kerbin. I prefer the older one too since Kerbin's atmosphere is thinner than Earth's so I don't prefer it looking like Earth

The size argument does kind of make sense in relation to atmospheric density.

OT but:  I always thought Kerbal should have a smaller star like a red dwarf to justify the systems small size.  This new star recoloring option could let me do that.

Edited by R-T-B

59 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I prefer the older one too since Kerbin's atmosphere is thinner than Earth's so I don't prefer it looking like Earth

Whilr this is true, I honestly prefer it to look like earth's, since that's what feels like home to us. But for everyone else, you can create a config to your liking.

Edited by blackrack

On 2/25/2020 at 10:53 PM, Olegolas said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i8EMinUu7rh3jYuJaBC66xerBLkVS_6n/view?usp=sharing

I believe this is how it SHOULD look vanila. And with scatterer in current version I am also gettin the milky superbright view.

I think you're missing the point of this mod.  It is supposed to change the way Kerbin's atmosphere and oceans scatter light, to make it look more realistic, that's why it has a "milky" appearance compared to the too clear cartoony look of stock.

Yep, it was my configs.  My old config manually halved the exposure to simulate the thinner atmosphere at each level.  It was my doing and blankly overriding config files caused this whole line of discussion.  I'm amazing, lol.

To make it up to you guys for my milk-induced discussion, here is my attempt to make a more natural kerbin system, complete with theoretical red dwarf matching it's size (don't give me crap about habitability distances, my head already hurts):

screenshot102380.png

screenshot101594.png

screenshot100.jpg

screenshot100.png

Love the Sun Coloring feature blackrack, needed this for some time and did not even know it... lol.

Edited by R-T-B

45 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Yep, it was my configs.  My old config manually halved the exposure to simulate the thinner atmosphere at each level.  It was my doing and blankly overriding config files caused this whole line of discussion.  I'm amazing, lol.

To make it up to you guys for my milk-induced discussion, here is my attempt to make a more natural kerbin system, complete with theoretical red dwarf matching it's size (don't give me crap about habitability distances, my head already hurts):

screenshot102380.png

screenshot101594.png

screenshot100.jpg

screenshot100.png

Love the Sun Coloring feature blackrack, needed this for some time and did not even know it... lol.

A E S T H E T I C

Also, I assume you're using 1.8.1?

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

A E S T H E T I C

Also, I assume you're using 1.8.1?

Yep, I am.

The pink sky might slightly challenge me though, don't really care for it visually.  I think the star needs to be more red even though I was going for a "borderline" red dwarf.

Edited by R-T-B

A smallish update:

According to my math, that star type would actually perfectly explain the Kerbol system, and Kerbin would actually fall right smack in the middle of the habitability zone for the star type I chose (a borderline red dwarf)

Reference:

ndistance_HZ_09022014.jpg

Kerbal would be ~0.09 AU's from the Sun.  Reference the dark orange star as the type.

This is making me seriously consider making a full modset for the idea of Kerbol being a red dwarf system, and the associated impacts that would have beyond just color changes.

/thinking outloud, offtopic, sorry.  I can't thank @blackrack enough for this color change to get my mind rolling though on a new mod idea.

Edited by R-T-B

Petition to rename "Scatterer" as "Milkier"

It's a more Kerbal name, honestly.  

Also - mine isn't working with a stock install of 1.9.1, which is a known issue, I'm sure, but I am sad.  I need my milk.  

Edited by Bosun

6 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

Mind uploading that as a mod or messaging me how to do it?!  I LOVE that look!  I love realism, but that red would be a nice change sometimes, so long as it's not going to massively change orbits of anything or interfere with Outer Planets.

A red dwarf for the Kerbol system actually makes more sense.  Even the official Kerbol wiki notes that the solar lumens output of Kerbol matches that of a class M Red Dwarf.  The stock system having a small yellow star is actually kinda physically impossible as we understand things... lol,

From the offical wiki entry for Kerbol:

Based on its given size and temperature, Kerbol’s luminosity would be 56.7 yottawatts, however this is contradicted by other in-game physical parameters. The value of the solar constant at Kerbin is 1360 W/m

2, which implies a solar luminosity of 3.16 yottawatts (0.008 Solar luminosities) and a surface temperature of 2840 K. These values are consistent with a Class M red dwarf.

Anyhow, yes I will upload my mod.  Just a second.  It does not same to mess anything up, but it does require Kopenicus for some small changes (Sun surface temp and name changed to Kerbol, basically), and AVP for other visuals.

Here.  Even without Kopernicus and Astrononomers Visual Pack, you get the color changes no problem and nothing malfunctions:

Please keep in mind this overwrites your stock scatterer config, because I was too lazy to do modulemanager stuff and was just hacking around.  You can reinstall scatterer from stock to get rid of it.

EDIT: Old Alpha Link removed, see below for download

I am releasing this as open domain, license in the zip as a .txt announcing that it is no license, unlicensed.  This is hardly a proper release, so I really don't care.  Just sharing a config. :)

INSTALL:  Just extract the subfolders of the gamedata folder in the zip into...  wait for it, the gamedata in your ksp install.

If you want to tweak this, just look at the files I included.  I bet you can figured it out.  Remember that computers think of colors as pairs of Red Green and Blue, in that order.  SunColor in this mod is set to strength of each being 1.0, 0.15,0.15 respectively.  You could make blue stars or green stars if you got crazy, lol.

FINAL THING FOR TODAY (as I am getting offtopic):

I'm officially making this a mod, but will be maintaining it offsite at a community I frequent more.  Feel free to watch it there:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/a-smallish-kerbal-space-program-mod-i-made-turns-the-kerbal-system-into-a-red-dwarf-system.264297/

Final batch of screenshots.  Keep in mind I am using AVP and Kopernicus for a lot of these effects now:

screenshot0.jpg
screenshot2.png
screenshot3.png
screenshot5343.png
screenshot6.jpg
screenshot5.png

I know, it's beyond just scatterer now obviously, so I'll shut up, but I love this idea and I really appreciate the inspiration! :)

Edited by R-T-B

@blackrack Snuck in some time today to do further testing regarding HDR in KSP 1.9, and I'm happy to report that I'm no longer experiencing the issues that were encountered under previous KSP versions simply by enabling HDR on the cameras.  I can now turn it on without negative impact, and it seems to be functional when used alongside a 'bloom' post-process effect.

Not sure what impact this may have on Scatterer, its implementation, or features, but thought I would share the (good?) news :)

(All of this research is going towards a possible update/replacement for KS3P that uses the Unity Post Process Stack v2... assuming I don't run into any more oddities, and can wrap my head around how to get it all working in KSP)

On 2/28/2020 at 5:03 AM, R-T-B said:

Reference the dark orange star as the type.

Dark orange you say. That's what it would look to a human eye. Colors... let's step back a bit: take a white sheet of paper and let the sun shine on it it, what color do you see? White, obviously. What is white then? A mix of light of different wave lengths, and not any mix, but exactly this:

sun.jpg

And only this exact mix looks white for our eyes. Why? Natural adaption, evolution. The sun in THE reference for our eyes, and that's why our eyes see it as white.

Now imagine a system with a central star you depicted, on one planet there are living human-like beings (maybe Kerbals :D ). How would the light from their star be composed? Maybe similar to this:

HTB14qr9azzu-K1-Rj-Ssppq6xz0-XXa-B-jpg-8

And what color would they see if they let their sun shine on a white piece of paper: white, of course, THEIR white.

tldr: even assuming Kerbol would be class K orange dwarf, it's light would be perceived as white by Kerbals. 

Edited by VoidSquid

Some planets(Eve in this case) can be to dark on their surface for my taste. I remember changing it in the option menu in the past but for some reason I cannot manage to find the settings for it anymore. What am I missing? I know about the menu but no matter what I change it only affects the clouds and not the amount of surface light the ground gets. 

Edited by dave1904

Hmm... while not specific to EVE (or any other location), if things are way too dark and you're feeling you're hunting a black crow (there are white crows too, just saying) at night, this mod helps:

13 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

Darwin wants a word.

Go ahead! :) 

Edited by VoidSquid