[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

17 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Alt+F11 brings up the settings. Switch over to ocean settings and use more wind or wave magnitude (be sure to click the rebuild ocean button). Whitecaps don't show up on relatively calm seas that are depicted by default

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I've not been following this thread carefully but was wondering - have there been any regressions in regards to AA quality since last year? I'm noticing lots of jaggies on the horizon when using MSAA, but I remember it being completely clean before.

Edit: Nevermind, the issue was being caused by the ambient occlusion module of KS3P. It's still a new behavior that wasn't there before, but not a bug with Scatterer per se.

Edited by woodbyte

On 8/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, Entropian said:

I just did;  the bug is still there, and the rings are buggy as well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp3f4wz71xs8ysf/Buggy atmosphere 3.PNG?dl=0

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/221v8oprmj60sm0/Player.log?dl=0

Could the problem be with RVE64k?

This is due to RVE64k not having scatterer atmosphere shaders setup for those planets yet, it's not the fault of Scatterer, EVE or any other mod. This is why on the front page of RVE64k is says the mod only supports Earth Currently :)

Edited by pingopete

Whenever i load into the main menu for the first time, there are clouds . But if i edit my settings / enter and exit a save, scatterer reverts back to just blue atmosphere with no clouds. I am on 1.10.1

My mods:
Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone) (AlcubierreStandalone 1.3.0.0)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
BetterCrewAssignment (BetterCrewAssignment 1.4)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.12.6)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.5.1)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.14)
CommNet Antennas Extension (CommNetAntennasExtension 2.1.3)
CommNet Antennas Info (CommNetAntennasInfo 3.0.2)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.2)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.1.1)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.1.1)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.10.1-3)
Heat Control (HeatControl 0.5.2)
Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes (HideEmptyTechNodes 1.1.2)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.8.0)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 3.18)
JoolBiomes (JoolBiomes 1.1)
JX2Antenna (JX2Antenna 2.0.5)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (KerbalJointReinforcementContinued v3.5.1)
Kolyphemus System Continued (KolyphemusSystemContinued 0.8)
KSP ExtendedAntennaProgression (ExtendedAntennaProgression v0.1.2)
KSP Interstellar Extended (KSPInterstellarExtended 1.25.31)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.10.1)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.11.0.0)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.3)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.3)
RemoteTech Redev Antennas (RemoteTechRedevAntennas 0.1.1)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0632)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0632)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0632)
Snarkiverse (Snarkiverse 1.2)
SpaceY Heavy Lifters (SpaceY-Lifters 1.17.2)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v4.2.3)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.7)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
Tracking Station Evolved (TrackingStationEvolved 6.0)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.4.3.21)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)
AND
Galaxies Unbound the 3rd test version

Edited by Drupegod02

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

I see them from time to time at large distances but never that close and that many. Anything particular about your install?

Yes, I am running parallax. But removing Scatterer removed the effect. So maybe its an incompability with both mods?

This is my gamedata folder:

Spoiler

YJWCVNc.png

Edited by Agustin

49 minutes ago, Agustin said:

Yes, I am running parallax. But removing Scatterer removed the effect. So maybe its an incompability with both mods?

This is my gamedata folder:

Reveal hidden contents

YJWCVNc.png

Yep it's a known issue between parallax and scatterer we haven't yet decided on a fix.

2 hours ago, Drupegod02 said:

Whenever i load into the main menu for the first time, there are clouds . But if i edit my settings / enter and exit a save, scatterer reverts back to just blue atmosphere with no clouds. I am on 1.10.1

So the clouds are from EVE, not scatterer. What do you mean when you edit your settings?

7 hours ago, computercat04 said:

Is there a way to make Scatterer less GPU intensive? I'm having a very low framerate.

Which specs do you have? Disable long distance shadows and shadows on the ocean and restart the game. If it still runs slow disable the ocean shaders.

For next versions I will introduce config presets so users can directly scale quality/performance up or down without fiddling with individual settings.

Edited by blackrack

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Which specs do you have? Disable long distance shadows and shadows on the ocean and restart the game. If it still runs slow disable the ocean shaders.

For next versions I will introduce config presets so users can directly scale quality/performance up or down without fiddling with individual settings.

Dell Latitude E6420

Intel Core i7- 2620M

Intel HD Graphics 3000 (~800 MB)

6 GB RAM

59 minutes ago, computercat04 said:

Dell Latitude E6420

Intel Core i7- 2620M

Intel HD Graphics 3000 (~800 MB)

6 GB RAM

Hmm with integrated graphics you'll have to disable the ocean and the long distance shadows (then restart the game), let me know how it runs then, you'll just have the atmospheric scattering + "sunset" lighting left.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Hmm with integrated graphics you'll have to disable the ocean and the long distance shadows (then restart the game), let me know how it runs then, you'll just have the atmospheric scattering + "sunset" lighting left.

Can I disable  those on the config too?

1 hour ago, computercat04 said:

Still the same. I think atmospheric scattering is the problem.

I never thought of scattering as expensive or slow, it's essentially just a lookup texture. But also I never tested on integrated graphics so can't tell if there is a bottleneck there somewhere or another issue. I might just fire up my old laptop and disable the mobile discrete GPU and see how it goes, it should have an intel hd 4000.

What framerate are you getting now? Have you checked your GPU usage? Have you checked CPU usage? Have you checked your log for nullref spams?

Edited by blackrack

@computercat04As promised, I fired up the game on a hd graphics 4000. Resolution: 1366x768, testing with one pod on the launchpad.

Stock game: 20 fps

Scatterer with ocean and shadows disabled, one pod on the launchpad: 7 fps

Scatterer with everything disabled (leaving just the sky and scattering): 15 fps

I don't think there is anything wrong with these results, but I think integrated graphics don't have much to work with. I think if you're running the base game at 20 fps you probably shouldn't be looking at graphics mods.