[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I'm uploading a bugfix update, I'm working on some performance improvements and was originally going to wait and release everything together, but I think these bugfixes are better off out now.

Changelog:

- Fix log spam "RenderTexture.Create failed: width & height must be larger than 0" when godrays are enabled but terrain shadows and custom shadow resolutions are disabled
- Fix broken ocean shader on Linux/OpenGL
- Fix forced ship recovery from ocean working on non-homeworld planets
- Fix atmospheres not loading with kopernicus planets on the first load outside the home system and requiring a scene change
- Renamed scaled space scattering object to "Scatterer scaled atmo" for Tilt Unlocker

Should be up in a few minutes

Edited by blackrack

On 12/31/2020 at 1:59 AM, Atlas Gaming said:

Not using anything other than Spectre (if that's a pack) playing stock size.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:52 AM, Snoman314 said:

Same here. Spectre only, and getting the same log spam.

23 hours ago, blackrack said:

Spectra overrides the scatterer config

7 hours ago, thetaprime said:

I'm getting rainbow clouds on the title screen with the new version and Spectra. I haven't tried it with just EVE. Anyhow FYI.

See Blackrack's response 16 hours before your post. Also, is this just on the Title Screen, how does it appear in game. I know, from personal experience, I don't usually play much of the game on the Title Screen so it could look like the inside of a Potato for all I cared.

On 12/23/2020 at 5:01 AM, blackrack said:

Wind speed is an adjustable parameter which affects the waves size, it's configurable from the UI (alt-f11 -> ocean settings -> wind speed -> rebuild ocean) or from the ocean.cfg, so it's adjustable manually, in the future it will be dynamic. Simulated atmospheric wind is probably out of scope :p

Was wondering this too because my sea plane couldn't take off on those big waves! :)

Suddenly, I'm getting the black sky problem. Here is the log

[ERR 17:25:44.839] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Kerbin because of exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

It happens everytime I load a save. Reinstalling Scatterer didn't help.

Edited by Darkherring

On 3/31/2020 at 1:50 PM, blackrack said:

These are issues with the precomputed atmosphere scattering files. I have no fix for it, apart from trying to generate an atmosphere multiple times and "getting lucky" with values that don't cause this.

I however consider it mild enough that I have to say it's pretty low on my priority list.

Having this issue again on Duna, is there any way I can disable the effects for a specific planet to get rid of this effect? Or a specific value in the configuration I can tweak until it disappears? I would really not like to uninstall to "fix" it since it seems most other planets don't have this issue. 

16 hours ago, Darkherring said:

Suddenly, I'm getting the black sky problem. Here is the log

[ERR 17:25:44.839] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Kerbin because of exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

It happens everytime I load a save. Reinstalling Scatterer didn't help.

Your log says:

[Scatterer][Debug] Ocean config not found for: Kerbin

Your install is messed up, ocean config is missing or overridden/deleted by another mod.

16 hours ago, Whaliin said:

Having this issue again on Duna, is there any way I can disable the effects for a specific planet to get rid of this effect? Or a specific value in the configuration I can tweak until it disappears? I would really not like to uninstall to "fix" it since it seems most other planets don't have this issue. 

You just have to remove Duna from planetsList, check here: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/wiki/PlanetsConfig#planets-list

Hi there fellow Space Explorers!

Recently I wanted to boost the looks in my KSP 1.11 install as many do. I already tried to follow the guides for things like EVE, Stock Visual Ench.. and scatter.

However there must be something I am either doing wrong or is wrong with my installation (btw, uninstall and re-installed yesteday the game).

So at the moment I find myself with just scatter as visual mod, I read the page for the mod and tryed to change a couple of parameters but still the planets with atmosphere look nothing alike the ones i see on YouTube...  

Below link to a picture

Clouds not appearing

Thanks a lot in advance,

Nik

3 hours ago, nikongarato said:

Hi there fellow Space Explorers!

Recently I wanted to boost the looks in my KSP 1.11 install as many do. I already tried to follow the guides for things like EVE, Stock Visual Ench.. and scatter.

However there must be something I am either doing wrong or is wrong with my installation (btw, uninstall and re-installed yesteday the game).

So at the moment I find myself with just scatter as visual mod, I read the page for the mod and tryed to change a couple of parameters but still the planets with atmosphere look nothing alike the ones i see on YouTube...  

Below link to a picture

Clouds not appearing

Thanks a lot in advance,

Nik

Scatterer doesn't do clouds, get eve-redux (and a config) for that

1 hour ago, coyotesfrontier said:

Could we ever see rain in Scatterer, or would that be the domain of EVE?

Weather is a very old discussion, it was tried once, and there is a wind mod now.  I think it would be great, but it is surely outside the domain of any the existing mods. 

1 hour ago, coyotesfrontier said:

Could we ever see rain in Scatterer, or would that be the domain of EVE?

You can sort of pull off snow with EVE by making a cloud texture that's a bunch of tiny specks (snow), but rain isn't really doable since you can't make the particles move vertically

1 hour ago, ktosiu said:

Is the source code no longer being updated? Github repo and downloadable source (with 0.0723 binaries) still at 0.0632.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:48 AM, blackrack said:

Indeed, I wrote some code for the godrays and the lightrays that I want to use for a commercial project, and I feel that having the source be public would undermine this project. I haven't decided what to do yet with the code but I might push everything else to the github repo, just without the godray/lightray part.

Edited by eberkain

On 12/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, blackrack said:

Indeed, I wrote some code for the godrays and the lightrays that I want to use for a commercial project, and I feel that having the source be public would undermine this project. I haven't decided what to do yet with the code but I might push everything else to the github repo, just without the godray/lightray part.

Ah, that's a shame. I wanted to fork my way around the OceanNode.OnPreCull NRE spam but turning off the ocean shader will have to do for now.

2 hours ago, ktosiu said:

Ah, that's a shame. I wanted to fork my way around the OceanNode.OnPreCull NRE spam but turning off the ocean shader will have to do for now.

You can make a bug report too, I haven't yet decided what to do with those other parts though, so I haven't updated the source yet.

SOrry if this isn't scatterer, but its the only atmosphere mod I use.

I get super weird lighting and atmosphere effects when I use this.

Such as the shadow of my ship appearing on the ground in a distorted hazy blob, evenwhen I'm at super high altitudes that shouldn't be casting any kind of visible shadow on the surface.

Also get oddities like this.

76e43f1365565281.png

540cc81365565550.png

With weird mis colored blobs in the horizon of atmosphere planets.

Edited by LadyAthena

2 hours ago, LadyAthena said:

SOrry if this isn't scatterer, but its the only atmosphere mod I use.

I get super weird lighting and atmosphere effects when I use this.

Such as the shadow of my ship appearing on the ground in a distorted hazy blob, evenwhen I'm at super high altitudes that shouldn't be casting any kind of visible shadow on the surface.

Also get oddities like this.

With weird mis colored blobs in the horizon of atmosphere planets.

These are godrays and the shadow of the planet can appear that way due to the way shadowmaps work. You can just disable godrays if this bothers you.