[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

[sorry]

I honestly have no Idea what's happening. Maybe try reinstalling Scatterer, AVP, and Parallax, and also deleting the extraneous copies of ModuleManager. You should only have ModuleManager 4.1.4, not 4.1.3 or 4.1.2.

Also found this in the log:

[Scatterer][Error] Destroying duplicate instance, check your install for duplicate scatterer folders, or nested GameData folders

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

2 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

What visual pack are you using?

Also don't install sunflare packs into the Scatterer folder, use the provided directory in the sunflare pack's download zip.

Hey, thanks for reaching out I really appreciate it.

I use Scatterer, EVE, and Astronomer Visual Pack.

The sunflare pack is here: https://spacedock.info/mod/1843/Kabrams Sun Flare's Pack for Scatterer.

I followed the download instructions but cannot get them to look like the previews. The flares show up, but the sun is still stock

KSP: 1.11.1.3066 Windows 64bit

Problem: with the sunflares it's dont work, I have the stock sun

Mods installed:

ModuleManager 4.1.4

KerbalEngineer 1.1.8.3

MechJeb2 2.12.0.0

Scatterer 0.0723

TacLifeSupport 0.17.0

Reproduction steps:

Look at the sun from a map or space

a week ago sunflares sometimes was like that:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mptafqp2mnb87pv/2021-01-31 (rigth).png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85v3jnzz6uwysco/2021-02-08 (rigth).png?dl=0

or like that:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yulmwsgk5bscgj/2021-01-31 (stock).png?dl=0

but now i reinstalled windows and sunflares only like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x7s9u71kvcvqdg/2021-02-19 (stock).png?dl=0

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz7ur18773pwbiy/MMPatch.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zg92dfonezrcz42/ModuleManager.log?dl=0

Does anyone know how to get the sunflares to be correct?

Edited by YeahScience

What tags are required to be edited in order tochange the color of a planet's atmosphere? I have been messing with configs in order to make the mod work with OPM and I have been successful doing so. However, the colors of the atmospheres of the modded bodies are the same as that of the bodies'(Jool and Laythe) configs I duplicated in order to get the atmospheres to work (Tekto and Thatmo have blue atmospheres like Laythe and the gas giants have green atmospheres like Jool). I know there are tags that change this but I can't for the life of me figure out which ones do it. The wiki for the mod on GitHub appears to be incomplete, so I was wondering if anyone here would know.

Hi

On RSS I see a lot of these in the logs:

[LOG 20:04:31.862] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Kerbin. TransformName: Kerbin
[LOG 20:04:31.863] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.864] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Kerbin not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.864] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Duna. TransformName: Duna
[LOG 20:04:31.864] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.864] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Duna not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.866] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Laythe. TransformName: Laythe
[LOG 20:04:31.866] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.866] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Laythe not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.866] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Jool. TransformName: Jool
[LOG 20:04:31.867] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.867] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Jool not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.867] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Eve. TransformName: Eve
[LOG 20:04:31.867] [Scatterer][Debug] ScattererCelestialBody not found by name, trying transformName
[ERR 20:04:31.868] [Scatterer][Error] ScattererCelestialBody Eve not found by name, or transformName. Effects for this body won't be available.

[LOG 20:04:31.868] [Scatterer][Debug] Finding ScattererCelestialBody name: Venus. TransformName: Venus
[LOG 20:04:31.868] [Scatterer][Debug] Found ScattererCelestialBody: Venus, actual ingame name: Venus

I presume this is because there are configs under Scatterer itself for Stock, but RSSVE for RSS. Can I delete those under Stock to speed things up?

(and if so, which files?)

capricorn:CKAN macluky$ ls -l  ../GameData/scatterer/config/
total 16
drwxr-xr-x@ 9 macluky  staff   288 Jan 23 13:19 Planets
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 macluky  staff    96 Apr 19  2020 PluginData
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 macluky  staff   128 Apr 19  2020 Sunflares
-rw-r--r--@ 1 macluky  staff  1046 Apr 19  2020 config.cfg
-rw-r--r--@ 1 macluky  staff  2297 Feb  2  2020 planetsList.cfg

17 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

@RyanRising Let me know if you want me to try some tests as well. Maybe some reports and logs can help @blackrack help us JNSQers.

I should be away from KSP for a bit, but don’t let that stop you from running your tests. I really don’t know why I didn’t my give logs in the first place but will as soon as I’m back playing.

@blackrack@RyanRisingOkay, I have some logs and some screenshots.

KSP Version 1.10.1

JNSQ 0.9.0

Kopernicus Stable R34

EVE Redux 1.11.2.1

Scatterer 0.0632 and 0.0723

Logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ip76-oC5F8OMPgjO4L-PZxuBlcJOyrdP?usp=sharing

Dusk, Scatterer 0.0632:

Spoiler

piva1ij.png

Dusk, Scatterer 0.0723:

Spoiler

deBwvNw.png

Mid-day, Scatterer 0.0632:

Spoiler

OdY9p43.png

Mid-day, Scatterer 0.0723:

Spoiler

uqHXxFM.png

You can see it's just a color issue, and may just need updated configs.

I actually prefer the mid-day color of 0.0723. But the sunrise and sunset do look much better in 0.0632.

I'd also like to add that I've noticed in JNSQ that the Scatterer sun flare disappears almost as soon as it touches the atmosphere, with only a tiny range of extinction to change the color of the flare.

I suspect this is an issue with Kopernicus, as default KSP with Scatterer has a smooth transition of color from white to yellow to red as it passes through the atmosphere, and only disappears once the center point of the sun is obscured by the planet. 

You can see this issue easier if you change the experimental atmosphere size to a large number, such as 10 or larger.

That's a nice observation. I didn't even think about Kopernicus. I wonder if the Frog God @R-T-B has any insight.

The color differences and the sun flare issue could even be separate issues.

EDIT: I just went back to Kopernicus Bleeding Edge Release 7 (earliest one for 1.10.1), and the issue remains. This is not a definitive answer, of course, but gives us a little more information.

Edited by Kwebib

43 minutes ago, Distortion28 said:

Just installed scatterer and the ocean has disappeared, and the sky is black. Does anyone have a fix?

Welcome to the forums! :D

Do you mind taking a look at this and following the steps provided?

If that doesn't help please come back here and provide the needed info so that you can be helped. :)

Having an issue that is causing exceptions in a lot of things, including scatterer, or MAYBE somehow related to scatterer, but.. I don't know, probably not. I have had a very hard time seeing a pattern / being able to reproduce the issue, except that it happens when launching a craft from the SPH / upon switching to the flight scene.

The symptom is: upon craft launch, the camera goes under the runway looking up at the craft, the camera can't be rotated, no controls work, lots of exceptions in the log... but it's possible to revert the flight to the editor and the game seems to recover until attempting to launch again.

I only have one hypothesis  - is it conceivable that Rational Hydrodynamics is somehow interacting with scatterer water effects (like the bobbing effect with waves...)? I installed RH between the last time I could play without issues and this issue appearing, although it's not the only thing that changed. Also updated other mods and installed Science Lab Info, I think. (Updated things like Waterfall, CryoEngines to the latest versions downloaded today).

So... probably not scatterer at all, but... maybe?

Really messy log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/es2o9pfmdw9txrc/KSPlog_scatterermaybe.log?dl=0

EDIT: Edited because I saw a whole heap of other issues in the log, so... I don't even know if scatterer is involved, but it seems to end up being affected (exceptions), along with other things.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

On 2/23/2021 at 10:14 AM, Kwebib said:

may just need updated configs

Probably. I personally got the light tinting back by raising extinctionThickness in the JNSQ Scatterer planet configs, at every config point (in the default configs, they're set to 0), but I'm sure that's not the recommended fix (if any). You can try it, though. Nothing guaranteed.

On 2/25/2021 at 3:47 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Welcome to the forums! :D

Do you mind taking a look at this and following the steps provided?

If that doesn't help please come back here and provide the needed info so that you can be helped. :)

Hi. I fixed it, Planetshine was causing the issue with scatterer.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:03 PM, OrdinaryKerman said:

Probably. I personally got the light tinting back by raising extinctionThickness in the JNSQ Scatterer planet configs, at every config point (in the default configs, they're set to 0), but I'm sure that's not the recommended fix (if any). You can try it, though. Nothing guaranteed.

That's worth trying out! Mind sharing what value you raised extinctionThickness to?

@Kwebib

For Kerbin, I set it to 0.4. Duna, 0.2. Eve, 1. Riga and Eeloo, 0.1. Huygen, 0.4. Jool, 0.8. Tylo and Laythe, 0.3. Lindor, 0.7. Nara, 0.8. 

These certainly aren't realistic, but they seem to work so far, at least on Kerbin. I haven't landed on the other bodies yet to test, but they should work.

The only good color shot on Kerbin I have so far:

Rp2sApn.png

(All the others were taken with a b/w filter in TUFX, as this particular save was still in the 1930's tech era when I deleted it to change mods)

It's just a light yellow tint, I think looks nice. Not too orange, but not annoyingly white. Just like my living room lights.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

What do you guys think of this scatterer issue ?  The sun has set behind the mountains we see, and the mountains are BRIGHT. This does not make any sense.  It's like the scatterer adds more and more "white light" the farther the terrain is.  But scattering is not "light addition", it's just "light deflection". It is at its strongest intensity when there is a lot of light, and the scattering gets more dim near sunset/sunrise, and totally absent in night.

My idea is that the scattering must be some kind of "transparency gradient". The farther object will be overlapped by a fully opaque color (this color must be the color of the "far" sky), then the overlapping gradient color becomes gradually transparent when the terrain gets nearer and nearer to the observer.

Sometimes in the summer I observe that far mountains gets totally invisible because there is a lot humidity in the air. So the terrain very far gets the same color than sky. In a very dry day, we can see the mountains at their real color because there is no scattering (no humidity).

tkQmhC6.png

Edited by JeanRenaud

12 hours ago, VCamProbe said:

Can anyone confirm that Kabrams sun flare packs aren't working with the latest ksp update?

I've been using it just fine. I use CKAN and made sure to not install the Scatterer Sunflare and instead use one of the Kabrams ones.

1xGJJdv.png

tpDlCnS.png

I'm running KSP version 1.11.1.3066, which as far as I know is the latest.

Edited by Why485

After a little break I played KSP again. Did no changes to KSP or mods but now the Oceans have no water. What can happen this? Before I played weeks and everything was OK.

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14517556/KSP.log.html

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14517557/Player.log.html

011d73-1615473099.png

Edited by Cheesecake