[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

21 hours ago, Galileo said:

Post a screenshot of your gamedata, and your logs. Just saying “it’s not working” doesn’t not give us any idea as to what your problem is. My guess is you still have SVE installed, which disables the terminator color. I already told you, you need to use a different visual mod. You can delete SVE and use default EVE cfgs and have the orange terminators

I deleted SVE it worked but alot of beautiful stuffs are gone.

EDIT : I deleted the SVE Scatterer folder and it's working fine. :D

Edited by PoomTGP

@blackrack

If you are about take a look at scatter maybe you can see if this is something that needs attention or not:

Spoiler

Shader 'AtmosphereFromGround': fallback shader 'None' not found

In: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9wxe4vvhd0x5rh/saves for Scatterer 0.0329-1-output_log.txt?dl=0

and/or

Spoiler

180416T141552.116 [EXCEPTION] [scatterer.DisableEffectsForTextureReplacer.OnPreCull] NullReferenceException
   at scatterer.DisableEffectsForTextureReplacer.OnPreCull ()
   at UnityEngine.Camera:RenderToCubemap(RenderTexture, Int32)
   at KSPShaderTools.ReflectionManager:renderCubeFace(RenderTexture, Int32, Vector3, Int32, Single, Single)
   at KSPShaderTools.ReflectionManager:renderFace(RenderTexture, Int32, Vector3, Int32)
   at KSPShaderTools.ReflectionManager:updateReflections()
   at KSPShaderTools.ReflectionManager:Update()

In: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg8dpk8dgjpgeix/saves for Scatterer 0.0329-1-KSPDev-LOG.180416T133339.ERROR.txt?dl=0

For completeness here are the other files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2blr16sj5ouke1/saves for Scatterer 0.0329-1-KSPDev-LOG.180416T133339.INFO.rar?dl=0

and: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5yjqnrhv525oqo/saves for Scatterer 0.0329-1-KSPDev-LOG.180416T133339.WARNING.rar?dl=0

I have so many logs because I use: KSPDev: LogConsole

I write a few patches for myself and thought this might help, as I am fed up of wading through the pile of repeated=useless entries in the ksp outputlog.

edit.

Oh and whilst I am asking stuff, I notice that quite often when I launch from the runway, everything is as though looking through a grey haze. This is not what I was experiencing in 1.3.1 so I noticed the difference. Also it does not happen all the time. It is sort of nice, but very heavy, a think if it was a little thinner it would have me less inclined to want to scrub the screen to clear the mist :)

edit.

I am not sure if this is related but:

is showing this:

Spoiler

scatterer.DisableEffectsForTextureReplacer.OnPreCull

scatterer.DisableEffectsForTextureReplacer.OnPostRender

I got up to 3.3K hits in roughly 50s of kerbal flight time with a maximum of about 3.8 ThrowsPerSecond.

All these are for the same flight. The logs are from early in the flight.

Hope these help.

Edited by Apaseall

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

I haven't looked into it yet, only thing I can tell already is that it's something writing to the depth buffer and filling up the whole screen.

On which layer do you render the procedural drag cubes?

This is all done in the stock code but I’ll see if there’s anything I can determine about how it’s done.

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

I haven't looked into it yet, only thing I can tell already is that it's something writing to the depth buffer and filling up the whole screen.

Okay, it looks like drag cubes are rendered on the "DragRender" layer.  Is that enough information to go on?  I can try to pester someone at Squad for more info if need be.

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

Sorry, but I have no idea have to answer that question

I'm running into this issue:

aMRH0fz.png

And its only with certain parts in pretty much any mod I use. This probe part above from BDB causes this issue with scatterer. But if I were to remove that and load up another probe part or any other part from the mod, nothing's wrong. Everything loads as normal. I'm not entirely sure which parts from BDB might be doing this (and I don't think its really necessary to go through each one), but there's no consistency to it at all. Probes Plus (coatl aerospace) parts almost all do this, but some don't. The KEAM from Kerbalow aerospace does it, but the KA330 doesn't. Etc.

I keep going through the logs and removing stuff but no matter what I cannot figure out what is doing this. Right now I've got my install to literally just BDB and its dependencies and scatterer, and this is still happening for certain parts.  I've got the ksp.log and output log below.  KSP log should list the load of the part above (labeled test) and then another of the LEO command pod (untitled). Scatterer breaks with test, is just fine with untitled.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3r9q0yojfaymz5/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urlvyjq13veahef/output_log.txt?dl=0

I can also confirm that this is NOT being caused by B9 Part switch as that has been removed from this install.  For the life of me I can't figure out what could possibly be causing this. As I said above theres no consistency to the parts that trigger this, and its not just BDB or Coatl. 

Looking at the logs it almost seems like scatterer is trying to call on EVE for something even though eve isn't present, but that doesn't explain why its only when certain parts are loaded into a flight that this happens.

EDIT:

Has to be something to do with the parts themselves. The only BDB parts I could find that did this were the probes that had solar panels on the part itself. Which leads me to believe whatever is responsible for those is whats breaking scatterer. 

SECOND EDIT:

Thanks to @DjPreside, I've been clued in to the fact that if the root part of the vessel is a part thats causing this bug, it will cause the bug. But if you re-root the vessel to a part that doesn't, then all is fine.  So a temporary fix for those having this issue is to have the root of your vessel be something you know doesn't break scatterer. 

Edited by G'th

So Im probably stuck in 1.3.0 for the duration of this save (for non-scatterer reasons) but man I wish I could ditch those halos. Is there a 1.3.0 compatible version that fixes that?

I know I haven't attached a log or anything and no biggie if not. Just curious. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

@G'th I see this

[LOG 19:55:56.532] DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for bluedog.explorer7probe

So I very much suspect procedural drag cubes are involved either way.  B9PartSwitch is a common reason that procedural drag cubes might be rendered in flight, but I guess not the only one (not sure exactly what's calling that)

Had a weird issue with Spark engines being the root part causing the orange sky & drained oceans Scatterer bug. First found it when I had a relay cluster about to launch with a spark set as the root part. This has all happened without B9PartSwitch.

Here's an imgur album of some of my findings, I'm also using Ven's Stock Revamp but not sure how that could factor into this; I'll test further when I have time

https://imgur.com/a/ZLo1t

Edited by Electrodium
Added 'drained oceans'

I'm currently using sigma dimensions to scale everything up by 2.5, and I'm running into an issue with what I believe is scatter where the terrain is completely black. This goes away once at higher altitudes. Is there any thing I can do to fix it or will I just have to uninstall or deal with it?

10 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

I'm currently using sigma dimensions to scale everything up by 2.5, and I'm running into an issue with what I believe is scatter where the terrain is completely black. This goes away once at higher altitudes. Is there any thing I can do to fix it or will I just have to uninstall or deal with it?

can you post your output log?

@blackrack Not sure if this is a scatterer or B9 partswitch specific problem, or even something separate. 

Thanks to @DjPreside, I've been clued in to the fact that if the root part of the vessel is a part thats causing this bug, it will cause the bug. But if you re-root the vessel to a part that doesn't, then all is fine.  So a temporary fix for those having this issue is to have the root of your vessel be something you know doesn't break scatterer. 

aMRH0fz.png

Edited to add: I managed to fix the problem detailed below by turning on AA in-game.  Previously, I forced it through hardware instead, and had no problems for many hours.  In case anyone can figure out why, you can read on below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

Running 1.4.1.  While flying a mission over Kerbin yesterday, visual artifacts suddenly appeared in flight (see screenshot) both on the surface of Kerbin and Duna and also in orbit of each.  I originally had scatterer, EVE, SVE, SVT, PlanetShine,  and Galileo's Sun Flares installed, but no TextureReplacer.

I removed just scatterer and the problem went away.  I tried loading totally different visual mods (kept scatterer and PlanetShine, removed SVE+SVT in favor of AVP+TextureReplacer (as a dependency).  The problem persisted.  I removed all visual mods except for scatterer and it remains.  I tried changing a few scatterer settings, but they did nothing.  Finally, I also reloaded a much earlier save, but the problem remained.  Any ideas?

Picture 1 (includes original visual mods listed) 

Picture 2 (only scatterer)

output_log.txt (uploaded on Drive due to 4MB size)

I have also tried completely reinstalling every visual mod named above, including scatterer.

Edited by MutunusTutunus

@blackrackHello, 

I have been having an issue with scatterer since 1.4.0, but I didn't post about it until I saw there was an update for 1.4.2.

The targeting camera in BDAc 1.2.0 for KSP 1.4.2 is negatively affected by Scatterer.

With Scatterer installed, The top half of the camera follows your view angle (moves when you move your mouse) and the bottom half of the camera is the normal view that the camera should have.

I've triple checked my results, and I can provide screen shots and logs, if you require them, when I get home from work.

In the meantime, if you have time, or if you already use BDAc, you could check it out.

Cheers.

Edited by TheKurgan

17 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

@blackrackHello, 

I have been having an issue with scatterer since 1.4.0, but I didn't post about it until I saw there was an update for 1.4.2.

The targeting camera in BDAc 1.2.0 for KSP 1.4.2 is negatively affected by Scatterer.

With Scatterer installed, The top half of the camera follows your view angle (moves when you move your mouse) and the bottom half of the camera is the normal view that the camera should have.

I've triple checked my results, and I can provide screen shots and logs, if you require them, when I get home from work.

In the meantime, if you have time, or if you already use BDAc, you could check it out.

Cheers.

Isn't this issue very old? as far as I know it has always been here. https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/9

Anyway, provide logs and screenshots.

33 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Isn't this issue very old?

No, I have been using Scatterer for at least 2 years, and BDA for just as long, and I have never seen this issue... and I play  ALOT.

I have been a tester for BDAc since Sept/Oct, and I always had Scatterer installed.

This issue started with 1.4.0.

36 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Anyway, provide logs and screenshots.

Will do.

Thanks.

@blackrack

Here are the logs, with and without Scatterer.

Fresh install, only mods are BDAc, Physics Range Extender (BDAc dependency), Module Manager, and Scatterer. 

Pics of GameData folder included in the zip.

Logs and GameData folder pics

and here are a couple videos... thought it would be better than screen shots.

Without Scatterer

With Scatterer

54 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@blackrackDoes the update include the updated EVE plugin that we talked about in the message with Waz?

Sorry, forgot this actually, I will put it in right away.

5 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

@blackrack

Here are the logs, with and without Scatterer.

Fresh install, only mods are BDAc, Physics Range Extender (BDAc dependency), Module Manager, and Scatterer. 

Pics of GameData folder included in the zip.

Logs and GameData folder pics

and here are a couple videos... thought it would be better than screen shots.

Without Scatterer

With Scatterer

Can you test this with ocean shaders off?