[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

47 minutes ago, F3RGHNZ said:

When do you believe it will be ready for 1.4.3??

Hes problably making a big update like he did when he updated to 1.3.aswell a lot of modders gilded updating mods because of the recent updates to ksp 

But after work s fine in 1.3

12 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Hes problably making a big update like he did when he updated to 1.3.aswell a lot of modders gilded updating mods because of the recent updates to ksp 

12 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

What did he add in 1.3? Just curious.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:31 PM, LameLefty said:

You're in the Scatterer thread and reported you don't have clouds. That's because Scatterer doesn't provide clouds. 

Any chance Scatterer could, in the future, add clouds?  EVE is constantly broken or abandoned, as are the RSSVE/RVE/etc mods that use EVE to add clouds. I've played without EVE since 1.3 came out as it is such a pita to find all the right version, an now RSS officially released it's 1.3.1 version, it's even worse. RSSVE even closed the entire thread with no explanation, so I am assuming it is dead as well now.

30 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Any chance Scatterer could, in the future, add clouds?  EVE is constantly broken or abandoned, as are the RSSVE/RVE/etc mods that use EVE to add clouds. I've played without EVE since 1.3 came out as it is such a pita to find all the right version, an now RSS officially released it's 1.3.1 version, it's even worse. RSSVE even closed the entire thread with no explanation, so I am assuming it is dead as well now.

EVE is far from abandoned or broken and is really easy to find... Maybe the visual pack you want is abandoned and broken, but EVE works fine. Also, there are plenty of visual mods out there and if one is abandoned (rssve) a dev doesn’t have to give an explanation.

as far as clouds in scatterer, I would say no. Blackrack has worked very hard in terms of integration with EVE. Implementing an entire particle system to replace EVE, would be a huge waste of the effort already put forth. 

To explain why RSS lacks a maintained visual pack: Scatterer has issues when scaled to real size which causes a lot of grief in the form of “bug reports” to the dev (see rssve), which gets to be too much sometimes. The rssve dev could not fix the issues himself as the fix has to come from scatterer. I don’t blame him for closing the thread. 

Edited by Galileo

@Jimbodiah I do not have abandoned my pack, i am just not supporting it in the KSP forums anymore (latest* release: 2018-04-11). You can always download the latest version from my GitHub repository and you can always leave feedback/file bug reports there.

@Galileo The bugs introduced with the later KSP 1.3/1.4 branches have nothing to do with it and i would never blame @blackrack for that, ever. I fully understand how difficult it is to code in a programming language, how difficult is to code in a programming language for a game and how difficult is to code in a programming language new graphical features for a game (EVE cloud maps & Scatterer mie effects to name the two most known ones). The issues are known, the reports on them have been filed and the bugs have been acknowledged. Besides, the RSSVE wiki is there to guide every interested party on how to setup & manage the mod, including the versions of all dependencies. If they cannot be bothered to read it...well, it's their problem.

As for the thread closure, i will leave a hint: ETO KSP forum thread.

* at the time that this post was made

On 5/1/2018 at 8:47 PM, TheKurgan said:

@blackrack I am just curious if you had a look? 

In 1.3.1 the BDAc target camera was fine, and in 1.4.* the same camera is showing this weird issue when Scatterer is installed.

Is there a chance you could have a look and see if this is fixable on your end, or if BDAc has to change something WRT the camera. 

Thanks.

Sorry not yet, I added it on my list of things to check.

On 5/3/2018 at 1:58 AM, Omnipius said:

Actually, my intent was to ask for documentation of sunflare config values so I can understand them. I am having an issue, but I can't be certain that its a bug or just my config.

However, in the interest of answering your questions: Yes, these are scatterer sunflares. They don't appear to centered on anything, just floating off in space next to the associated stellar body. I'm working off of @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures RSS Constellations / CVO configs, but at this point I've modified the rest of the universe so heavily it wouldn't be accurate to say that this is actually RSSC/CVO. Call it a personal fork.

At any rate, using the original sunflare configs, the at least some of the sunflares don't center on their star. I assume that their must be a config setting to adjust placement, because how else could it be wrong? So, that brings me back to my original question of what each sunflare config setting actually does and what the input ranges are. I guess I'm looking for a fishing lesson, not just a fish. :wink:

The default config file included for the Sun with scatterer includes small comments explaining how it all works. The gist of it is, the SunFlare.png and sunSpikes.png files are centered on the sun, and the ghosts are place somewhere on a line going from the sun to the center of the screen and beyond, you control this position.

Here is a crude visual

Yo7vnEs.png

On 5/3/2018 at 5:34 AM, Rainbowd4sh said:

My sun flare seems to be overlayed with the standard KSP sun, for example, when it's partially obscured by my ship, you can see the correct flare, but in an uncovered view, it just seems like the stock sun. 

https://imgur.com/a/qXW8Y8W

I have the latest version of all mods, and have AVP, with all its requirements, as well as KS3P, Distant Objects, Planetshine, and Texture Replacer for a sky box. What can I do to get Scatter's sun flare to pop up? Or is it another mod conflicting? 

Does this happen with stock or only with AVP? Is Kopernicus involved also?

On 5/4/2018 at 5:01 AM, Javascap said:

KSP: 1.3.2 Windows 64bit

Problem: Scatter cuts out from alititude of about 160 km to 250 km

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0331b

Any visual pack

Rescale! 6.4x

And many more.

Reproduction steps:

Launch a rocket into an altitude that passes above 160 km, and scatterer seems to cut out completely.

Note: I am playing on the unusual resolution of 3440*1440

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vwtnvpwzby1mru/output_log.txt?dl=0

Link to Youtube video showcasing the bug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkumYzrTdm4&feature=youtu.be

Hi, this is a know issue https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/32

On 5/9/2018 at 7:40 PM, Sunesha said:

I searched in the topic. Did not find anything concerning this topic. I didn't find anything sun.cfg and scatter.cfg 

Is it possible to just disable sunflare only in map mode view ?

Reason:
I really love my sunflare from Maar I use in flight mode, but it is just make everything really difficult in map mode to read the text. If not possible, I will have to consider to get a smaller sunflare so mapmode is not blocked out by a flare. I would be willing to forgo all scatter effects in map mode if this is possible.

Not possible at the moment.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:22 PM, Trekkie148 said:

Ok thanks for the notice and help but could it be fixed on where it will show in the tracking station and also when I select ocean reflection effects and terrain shadows on startup that does not select. No rush thanks.

Please try the fixed version I posted here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip142-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00331b-27042018/&do=findComment&comment=3366891

I've seen this issue on Github but even though it was posted 3 weeks ago it doesn't seem to catch anyone else's attention

KSP: 1.4.3 Windows 64bit

Problem: Jool atmosphere cuts out at ~300km

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0331b

Hyperedit

Reproduction steps:

Send a ship to Jool, whenever the altitude goes below about 300km the atmosphere cuts out completely. I used Hyperedit at first but i've tried going to Jool the regular way too. In both cases the atmosphere consistently cuts out at low altitude.

Log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bbhINci1GkpaAKehcTH0F4eov4hK3JkG/view?usp=sharing

Well then what am I doing wrong... just installed all of the mods by following the steps, it's so easy there's not much I could possibly screw up. But none of them are for 1.4.3, so I'm surprised it's even supposed to work

Edited by Hyperion101

1 hour ago, Hyperion101 said:

Well then what am I doing wrong... just installed all of the mods by following the steps, it's so easy there's not much I could possibly screw up. But none of them are for 1.4.3, so I'm surprised it's even supposed to work

If you are only checking for scatterers effects in the Tracking Station, that's your problem. The tracking station effects are not working in 1.4.x. Go into flight and check again. 

Also, reading a page pack on this thread would have answered that for you quicker than anyone here.

On 5/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, Phineas Freak said:

@Jimbodiah I do not have abandoned my pack, i am just not supporting it in the KSP forums anymore (latest* release: 2018-04-11). You can always download the latest version from my GitHub repository and you can always leave feedback/file bug reports there.

@Galileo The bugs introduced with the later KSP 1.3/1.4 branches have nothing to do with it and i would never blame @blackrack for that, ever. I fully understand how difficult it is to code in a programming language, how difficult is to code in a programming language for a game and how difficult is to code in a programming language new graphical features for a game (EVE cloud maps & Scatterer mie effects to name the two most known ones). The issues are known, the reports on them have been filed and the bugs have been acknowledged. Besides, the RSSVE wiki is there to guide every interested party on how to setup & manage the mod, including the versions of all dependencies. If they cannot be bothered to read it...well, it's their problem.

As for the thread closure, i will leave a hint: ETO KSP forum thread.

* at the time that this post was made

I think you misunderstood what I was saying and took it out of context. I never insinuated that anyone blame blackrack for anything. I simply stated the fixes have to come from blackrack himself. There are issues with scatterer in a full scale system, that is a known issue and probably the biggest complaint RSS visual packs get. 

I understand the trials and tribulations of coding and programming. I do it on a lesser language, but I create websites and have to deal with sitting in from of a computer for 12 hours a day if not longer. I get that extracurricular activities like coding scatterer can get put in the back burner for a while. Stuff happens and real life is more important. I don’t blame anyone for taking time on a mod update for a game. 

And excuse me for not being correct in my assumption as to why you closed your thread, but like the comment said that I responded too, there was no real explanation, and the only obvious thing was the frustration with scatterer in real scale and most forums users don’t think to check the GitHub of a closed forum thread :/ can you blame them? I feel like the last comment could have notified users of your move to github exclusively. ;) 

And fwiw, ETO was taken down becaus of licensing issues. 

Edited by Galileo

Hey, i've got some pretty strange effects going on with the ocean scattering that is really bothering me. I updated today hoping it would be fixed, but no luck. Since i can't figure out how to post screenshots without using Imgur, i'll describe the issue: Basically, i can't change the ocean effects and they're stuck on a really weird thing where they show the blue color but are transparent all the way down to the ocean floor. I can also see the underwater portions of land masses in the distance, such as islands, except they look sort of highlighted. It only does this in flight mode, however. It is completely normal in the view from the VAB. Quite frankly, this is annoying and if anyone could find a fix for me, that would be lovely. 

Edited by TheScienceGuy120

KSP: 1.3.1 Windows 64bit

Problem: TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'UnityEngine.ImageConversion' from assembly 'scatterer'.

Mods installed:

The NearFuture mods

Scatterer 0.0331b or scatterer 0.0324 (tested both)

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 1.2.2-1

Kopernicus

Community Terrain Texture Pack

The World Beyond

Various USI mods (Karbonite, WarpDrive, ART, Konstruktion, maybe one or two more)

FAR

(was still busy adding mods)

Reproduction steps:

Make a clean install of KSP 1.3.1, add mods listed above, try to load game, crash game.

The log says: "TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'UnityEngine.ImageConversion' from assembly 'scatterer'" on various occasions. Having looked it up, it seems to be an unity-related problem but I do not know how to fix it.

Log:

https://pizo.stackstorage.com/s/eF6iolXy5sJPglI

EDIT: just re-reinstalled and added scatterer, the game doesn't crash but ksp.log is full of the typeloadexceptions

EDIT 2: I copied the scatterer folder from my 1.2.2 install and it worked, but I don't think I'm supposed to use that version for 1.3.1

EDIT 3: I made CKAN install scatterer for me and it worked. Weird.

Edited by ExtremeTrader
solved

KSP: 1.4.3 Windows 64bit Scatterer 0.0332 & 0.0331b

Problem: White line, janky shadows and config not saving

Mods installed:

AVP + Addons
ASET (alcor pod, RPM etc.)
Chaterer
Community tech trees etc.
Distant object enhancement
Dmagic
DPAI
Engineer
KAS
KIS
Lifesupport
Mechjeb
MKS
Planetshine
Realchute
Realplume
Scansat
Scatterer
Stage Recovery
Tarsier Space Tech
Umbra Stuffs
texture replacer
ksprc textures
vesselviewer

Reproduction steps:

scatterer + terrain texture / dark forces and sorcery = what

I've tried multiple different texture packs and I still get various forms of the terrain tearing, enabling post processing* mitigates the line somewhat but you can still see it in certain situations, However with no settings sticking enabling post processing every time isn't going to work.

E54C5012E2A9D5CC7A0985819246582EB039DD15
Post Processing off*, Anti Aliasing on, die in hell demonspawn

D37E92593AE95CC1305D12E6AFE5FEBF25FDA329

Post Processing On*, Anti Aliasing On, barely visible

00C88334D4A81265FC15D51546FAEF904001F674
Anti Aliasing off, Post Processing off*, gone!

496E25884A97508E6CBEB03A8D7404B215E2603D
Wireframe... duh. There's something that aligns with the offending white line, no idea what it is but it's there.

EFC268AC878EF600AAB3D63D273933D044A9CCA3
And a bizarre shadow when zoomed out. the white line aligns with the straight cut of the shadow.

in the space centre the textures are fully misaligned along the white tear, tried using KSPRC, SVT, CTTP with little change.

Changed all kinds of settings in the menu but nothing will save when the game is reloaded.

HEEEEEEEEEELP, tearing my hair out over this and there's not so much to tear.

Log: https://nofile.io/f/PtDxtmXf0JG/output_log.txt

Edit I just realised I may have the post processing backwards i.e. off = on and vice versa, I assumed it was off by default I was toggling it on as the image seems to get darker shadows + more bloom but I may well be wrong.

love the mod, it's part of the delicate house of cards that makes ksp the perfect game imo, can't wait for the update and hopefully a fix for this! keep up the good work dude, you're a pillar of excellence <3

Edit 2 - Woohoo! forcing OpenGL seems to solve the white line for me, there's still a bit of a split in the textures in the same place as where it would've been as I look at the KDC but instead of a white line it just shows water and whatnot underneath, which is perfectly liveable :)

Edit 3 - Strange shadow visible in the last screenshot is still there not too much of an eye sore.

Edited by Galactic Hitchiker
Crossing t's and dotting i's

When I press Alt-f10 or Alt-f11 nothing happens. Is there a different way to open settings?

(edit: i found the issue, for some reason EVE didn't require scatterer, so it didn't get installed)

Edited by PartiallyBurnt
problem solved

So recently ran into an issue where my sky is black. Reinstalling scatterer fixes it for a bit, but then it returns Log file is being spammed with: 

[EXC 10:51:41.696] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	scatterer.Manager.getDirectionToCelestialBody (.CelestialBody target)
	scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateStuff ()
	scatterer.SkyNode.OnPreCull ()
[EXC 10:51:41.704] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	scatterer.SunFlare.updateProperties ()
	scatterer.SunflareCameraHook.OnPreRender ()

Running 1.4.3, MH 1.2.0, GPP Secondary, GEP, Realistic Atmospheres. When the sky is normal, the tracking station has the black sky effect, when the sky is black, the tracking station is normal. Thoughts?

nXVNk3e.png

Edited by fwdixon

1 hour ago, fwdixon said:

So recently ran into an issue where my sky is black. Reinstalling scatterer fixes it for a bit, but then it returns Log file is being spammed with: 

[EXC 10:51:41.696] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	scatterer.Manager.getDirectionToCelestialBody (.CelestialBody target)
	scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateStuff ()
	scatterer.SkyNode.OnPreCull ()
[EXC 10:51:41.704] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	scatterer.SunFlare.updateProperties ()
	scatterer.SunflareCameraHook.OnPreRender ()

Running 1.4.3, MH 1.2.0, GPP Secondary, GEP, Realistic Atmospheres. When the sky is normal, the tracking station has the black sky effect, when the sky is black, the tracking station is normal. Thoughts?

nXVNk3e.png

Realistic atmospheres is for stock only.

Not sure why you are getting a black sky. But like any big report, I will need logs and a screenshot of your game data to look into it.

Edited by Galileo

27 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Realistic atmospheres is for stock only.

Not sure why you are getting a black sky. But like any big report, I will need logs and a screenshot of your game data to look into it.

Good to know. I thought it was still needed for the stock planets and OPM even tho GPP had it already implements for the Ciro system. 

Here is a link to the logs and mod folder screenshots:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12ex4Dm9ui4B8pwcqGpSa4nyLDYoKgxZk

Edited by fwdixon
Added Mod List and logs