[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

On 9/7/2020 at 9:31 PM, BumbleBeeJBG said:

Apologies for the misunderstanding, I have the following visual mods installed, before I meant I don't have PostFX-specific mods installed which could contribute to discoloration after your shaders.  I thought these mods were pretty standard for scatterer users (and don't you contribute or currently maintain the EVE mod?) All are latest versions off of freshly copied over from steam KSP install.

-Astronomer's Visual Pack

-Environmental Visual Enhancements

-Planetshine (+default config)

-Pood's Calm Nebula Skybox

How do I know which config is currently being used? 

Let me know if this is traveling too far outside the realm of things you want to support. Had not considered some other mod could be overriding your mod's settings.

That would be astronomer's, you should be able to find the configs inside somewhere. Alternatively, the scatterer UI will tell you which config file is used for which planet (somewhere in the bottom of the UI there is a field).

11 hours ago, AloE said:

I am tinkering with a personal port of a Trappist1e model (to work  as a home system with Principia) & perhaps I've not rotated something or I've let something sneak through from the Kerbin template that I should not?  Very grateful for suggestions...only seeing this 90 deg rotation of reddish scattering on an @Body[Kerbin] { } planet in the system...the ported scatterer data shows beautifully in this home system with all the other planets based on other templates.  Here is the most key image:

North Pole view with Sun towards upper left corner

additional relevant images in this album: 

Thank you very much for insights & suggestions!

It looks like you have the wrong star configured as the sun for the planet.

In your planetList file there should be a field "mainSunCelestialBody", change that to point to the correct star.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to piggy-back off what @BumbleBeeJBG has been getting at:

I am using a (very awesome) planet pack that roles it’s own Scatterer configs. Just like what has been described above, Kerbin’s atmosphere is saturated blue to the point that from orbit, land-masses are not readily distinguishable with hardly any detail. 

If I were to dive into the config files, what value or set of values would determine the atmosphere’s apparent “thickness” when viewed from orbit?

EDIT: Sorry just noticed @djbcut posting some values on the last page, looks like exactly what I am looking for. I’ll fiddle with those, but if anyone has anything else to add, feel free to chime in.

Edited by lemon cup

On 9/10/2020 at 4:15 AM, blackrack said:

That would be astronomer's, you should be able to find the configs inside somewhere. Alternatively, the scatterer UI will tell you which config file is used for which planet (somewhere in the bottom of the UI there is a field).

It says I'm using your config, specifically the Laythe one and it won't let me type text in that box to change which config.HlirskL.jpg

17 minutes ago, BumbleBeeJBG said:

It says I'm using your config, specifically the Laythe one and it won't let me type text in that box to change which config.

If it says Laythe on Kerbin, the config was changed via moduleManager (I have to check why it says Laythe btw). Just check the configs in AVP

This was a big issue before Scatterer got good MM support when you refactored the config code. A lot of older visual packs never redid their patching syntax and as a result the above issues occur where the right patches get applied but the configs end up pointing to the wrong bodies when using the in game UI.

Basically, AVP should really update its patching methodology.

Edited by Poodmund

On 5/27/2020 at 7:37 AM, rogerawong said:

New guy here.  Is this super hard transition between day and night on Kerbin a known issue, or is it something I should write up a bug report for?

cg6D3JE.jpg

RwXEMbQ.jpg

On 5/27/2020 at 8:57 AM, blackrack said:

Looks like SVE config and not stock scatterer so report it there

Hi  @blackrack  I'm having a similar issue, but even when not using a visual pack, just with default Scatterer plus EVE (either yours or @R-T-Bs) plus EVE's BoulderCo configs.

Looking East at 5 minutes before sunrise:

L9AsJL4.png

Looking West at 5 minutes before sunrise:

u2sOwdH.png

Like @rogerawong said, is this a known issue or is something borked on my install? I have a full bug report ready to be made on GitHub if necessary, I just wanna know if it is necessary before I do it lol.

PS. the terminator is messy on JNSQ too, which led me to the troubleshooting I've done thus far.

Thanks o7

For some weird reason scatterer does not only help against that stock flickering issue but on my potato machine it also provides a higher fps when launching a small sounding rocket compared to the same environment without scatterer.

It always helps, but with the small sounding rocket the difference is much more obvious.

On 9/20/2020 at 1:55 AM, MisfitMarius said:

Hi  @blackrack  I'm having a similar issue, but even when not using a visual pack, just with default Scatterer plus EVE (either yours or @R-T-Bs) plus EVE's BoulderCo configs.

Looking East at 5 minutes before sunrise:

L9AsJL4.png

Looking West at 5 minutes before sunrise:

u2sOwdH.png

Like @rogerawong said, is this a known issue or is something borked on my install? I have a full bug report ready to be made on GitHub if necessary, I just wanna know if it is necessary before I do it lol.

PS. the terminator is messy on JNSQ too, which led me to the troubleshooting I've done thus far.

Thanks o7

Not sure, maybe the clouds are too high in the atmo or the settings for the scattering/extinction for them need tuning.

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

For some weird reason scatterer does not only help against that stock flickering issue but on my potato machine it also provides a higher fps when launching a small sounding rocket compared to the same environment without scatterer.

It always helps, but with the small sounding rocket the difference is much more obvious.

It's not "some weird reason", I made a fix for it which you can see in the scatterer settings ( I shared it with squad as well but they didn't integrate for some reason).

I'm curious about the sounding rocket though, is this with scatterer ocean on or off?

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

I'm curious about the sounding rocket though, is this with scatterer ocean on or off?

This is in the scatterer/config/config.cfg

Scatterer_config
{
	autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange = False
	disableAmbientLight = True
	integrateWithEVEClouds = False
	overrideNearClipPlane = False
	nearClipPlane = 0.209999993
	useOceanShaders = False
	shadowsOnOcean = True
	oceanSkyReflections = False
	oceanRefraction = False
	oceanCaustics = True
	oceanPixelLights = False
	fullLensFlareReplacement = True
	sunlightExtinction = True
	underwaterLightDimming = True
	showMenuOnStart = True
	useEclipses = True
	useRingShadows = True
	d3d11ShadowFix = True
	terrainShadows = True
	unifiedCamShadowsDistance = 5000
	unifiedCamShadowNormalBiasOverride = 0
	unifiedCamShadowBiasOverride = 0
	unifiedCamShadowResolutionOverride = 4096
	unifiedCamShadowCascadeSplitsOverride = 0.00150000001,0.0149999997,0.150000006
	dualCamShadowsDistance = 5000
	dualCamShadowNormalBiasOverride = 0.720000029
	dualCamShadowBiasOverride = 0.5
	dualCamShadowResolutionOverride = 0
	dualCamShadowCascadeSplitsOverride = 0.00499999989,0.0250000004,0.125
	useDithering = False
	m_fourierGridSize = 128
}

and it is not overwritten by different settings from any mod.

I use BLO, though.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

This is in the scatterer/config/config.cfg

Scatterer_config
{
	autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange = False
	disableAmbientLight = True
	integrateWithEVEClouds = False
	overrideNearClipPlane = False
	nearClipPlane = 0.209999993
	useOceanShaders = False
	shadowsOnOcean = True
	oceanSkyReflections = False
	oceanRefraction = False
	oceanCaustics = True
	oceanPixelLights = False
	fullLensFlareReplacement = True
	sunlightExtinction = True
	underwaterLightDimming = True
	showMenuOnStart = True
	useEclipses = True
	useRingShadows = True
	d3d11ShadowFix = True
	terrainShadows = True
	unifiedCamShadowsDistance = 5000
	unifiedCamShadowNormalBiasOverride = 0
	unifiedCamShadowBiasOverride = 0
	unifiedCamShadowResolutionOverride = 4096
	unifiedCamShadowCascadeSplitsOverride = 0.00150000001,0.0149999997,0.150000006
	dualCamShadowsDistance = 5000
	dualCamShadowNormalBiasOverride = 0.720000029
	dualCamShadowBiasOverride = 0.5
	dualCamShadowResolutionOverride = 0
	dualCamShadowCascadeSplitsOverride = 0.00499999989,0.0250000004,0.125
	useDithering = False
	m_fourierGridSize = 128
}

and it is not overwritten by different settings from any mod.

I use BLO, though.

Huh? You are getting higher fps than stock? I'm going to sticky this because everyone is always complaining about performance.

Seriously I have no idea why this would be.

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

Not sure, maybe the clouds are too high in the atmo or the settings for the scattering/extinction for them need tuning

tbh I think it's an edge case anyway.  I've been playing KSP for a while now, on and off, and I've always used Scatterer+EVE+a visual pack, and have never seen this issue before. What's different in this playthrough is that I've started using Early Bird, which timewarps to 5 minutes before dawn when using the warp to next morning button. The issue only presents itself not far either side of dawn and dusk, and anyone not using Early Bird, and timewarping to the default next morning, would probably never notice it. Like I said, I've never noticed it before. For what it's worth, the configs used in JNSQ give a tidier result, but the ugly colours remain, so I would guess that it's a limitation of the game, maybe? Either way, in practical terms it's probably an edge case, outside of which Scatterer is great.

Thanks for your awesome work o7

Going to post this here because it gets reports often:

With RSS+RSSVE the following issue appears:

80521285-1391c080-898b-11ea-92dc-279388d

RSSVE has a patch which is supposed to improve the clip planes for RSS. Except it hasn't been updated for unified camera (KSP 1.9+ or so can't remember), therefore it results in this issue. As I said before it is not a scatterer issue.

How to fix it: Go to

\GameData\RSSVE\Configs\Misc_Configs\RSSVE_RSS_Config.cfg

Either delete everything or change the contents to:

@REALSOLARSYSTEM:FOR[RSSVE]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem]
{
    %cam00FarClip = 1875000.0
}

As I'm trying to pinpoint this issue
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/197120-halo-like-visual-issue-ksp-1101/

I stumbled upon this in the log - after scene change to the launch pad:

Uploading Crash Report
NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Behaviour.set_enabled(UnityEngine.Behaviour,bool)
  at scatterer.ReflectionProbeFixer.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <76bcca7179de4bd6a0f42f98887694f5>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Is this "normal" under those circumstances?

Edited by Gordon Dry

Hey, awesome mod. Im using it with EVE AND SVE. However i have an issue. Before i installed scatterer, i was running EVE and SVE, but i disabled jool's graphics as i prefer the stock look. But now when i installed scatterer, it puts a wierd grey tint on to jool. Is there a way i can prevent scatterer from changing the way jool looks ?  

Hi! I was struggling for a while, but I`m not sure how to use this mod.

I mean, I see the picture of how people has their UI, where they can edit all the atmosphere variables but for me it only appears a small UI regarding the oceans and such, that`s all, so i cant really change anything of the atmospheres.

Is there anything im missing?

On 10/12/2020 at 8:03 PM, Kerbalwings said:

No I meant whitecaps they don't appear.

Alt+F11 brings up the settings. Switch over to ocean settings and use more wind or wave magnitude (be sure to click the rebuild ocean button). Whitecaps don't show up on relatively calm seas that are depicted by default

Edited by Drew Kerman