Jump to content

[WIP][1.9.x-1.10.x-1.11.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (v0.0723 - 31/12/2020)


Recommended Posts

Also, godrays bring my 1650 super to 100% as well. I have a 9100f and 16gb of ram. The below ss of task manager shows me switching godrays from on to off.

(The drop in utilization at the middle is because I switched to and from Map view to update the changes)

img%5D

 

 

Edited by kerbalxploder
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

Also, godrays bring my 1650 super to 100% as well. I have a 9100f and 16gb of ram. The below ss of task manager shows me switching godrays from on to off.

(The drop in utilization at the middle is because I switched to and from Map view to update the changes)

Yes, graphical features use GPU. Your GPU will hit 100% as long as you don't hit your refresh rate/framerate cap or your game doesn't hit a CPU bottleneck. Also that graph is not really useful without associated framerates or CPU usage.

Edited by blackrack
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

Also, godrays bring my 1650 super to 100% as well. I have a 9100f and 16gb of ram. The below ss of task manager shows me switching godrays from on to off.

This means @blackrack is doing his "job" :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blackrack said:

Yes, graphical features use GPU. Your GPU will hit 100% as long as you don't hit your refresh rate/framerate cap or your game doesn't hit a CPU bottleneck. Also that graph is not really useful without associated framerates or CPU usage.

Yeah, so when the 1650 Super was at 100%, the fps would cap out at around 50-60. I have my monitor at 75fps, and I can usually play at that rate with godrays off. The setting was used during the time of day on Kerbin, maybe 1 hour after sunrise. My CPU usage stayed pretty stagnant at around 30-40%, although my 9100f has 4 cores and it doesn't tell me it doesn't have enough. CPU utilization doesn't tell me that.

Ive played Simple Planes before, and with 5 AI planes, the fps will suddenly go from 75 way down to the 20s, although CPU usage stayed the same. My cpu has 4 cores with no hyperhreading (Damn you Intel), so its bad mulit-core performance does affect me largely. Could this be a similar instance?

50 minutes ago, taniwha said:

This means @blackrack is doing his "job" :)

And so is my gpu XD

Edited by kerbalxploder
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

That's not very hyping XD

If you look a few posts above you'll see the gargantuan post about blackrack's progress on scatterer. Stuff is in the works, it just takes time. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kerbalxploder said:

Yeah, so when the 1650 Super was at 100%, the fps would cap out at around 50-60. I have my monitor at 75fps, and I can usually play at that rate with godrays off. The setting was used during the time of day on Kerbin, maybe 1 hour after sunrise. My CPU usage stayed pretty stagnant at around 30-40%, although my 9100f has 4 cores and it doesn't tell me it doesn't have enough. CPU utilization doesn't tell me that.

It sounds like you hit the refresh rate cap without godrays, at which point the GPU proceeds to "idle" for the remaining 10%, but once you enable godrays the GPU tops out and you're unable to hit the refresh rate. That's just it, the GPU is doing a bit more work. I'm not seeing exactly why you are reporting this? Anyway, I always say that if you're not hitting 100% GPU usage you overpaid.

CPU wise it's true that's only 30% but that's actually close to topping out because KSP doesn't use more than 2 cores, and that's on Directx11.

Edited by blackrack
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

If you look a few posts above you'll see the gargantuan post about blackrack's progress on scatterer. Stuff is in the works, it just takes time. :D

I know. It was a joke. I know how hard programming and designing is. Im literally studying 3D modeling, C++, and Java at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Sorry! I'm occasionally smooth brained. :confused:

I want to learn those things as well. Are you taking them online? If so, where?

In school. I go to economic and informatics high school (senior) and my special subjects are 3D modelling (mainly Blender) Programming (C++, JAVA, HTML) Economics and Accounting. So my advice for you wold be just go to YT and learn a thing or two and then when u get more professional head to paid online courses like Skillshare (not sponsored)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this mod effect the ocean waves?

 

1.10- 1.11 the ocean waves are so rough now that its impossible to land or take off with any space plane on the water...

 

Before the water physics had no effect on the object as far as bouncing around.  Now it seems the waves bounce my spaceplanes around uncontrollably!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm mostly happy with the fps I get on everywhere but Eve.  I looked at the atmos config file for Eve but I'm not sure what settings affect performance.   Anyone know what settings in the Eve config might be taxing my gpu the most?  

Edited by mcbmaestro
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Sorry! I'm occasionally smooth brained. :confused:

I want to learn those things as well. Are you taking them online? If so, where?

19 hours ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

In school. I go to economic and informatics high school (senior) and my special subjects are 3D modelling (mainly Blender) Programming (C++, JAVA, HTML) Economics and Accounting. So my advice for you wold be just go to YT and learn a thing or two and then when u get more professional head to paid online courses like Skillshare (not sponsored)

This is off-topic guys so please take this elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Does this mod effect the ocean waves?

1.10- 1.11 the ocean waves are so rough now that its impossible to land or take off with any space plane on the water...

Before the water physics had no effect on the object as far as bouncing around.  Now it seems the waves bounce my spaceplanes around uncontrollably!

Yeah, wave interactions are a new feature. You can disable it from the KSC options menu, or lower the wind speed fom kerbin's ocean config (in the scatterer folder).

9 hours ago, mcbmaestro said:

I'm mostly happy with the fps I get on everywhere but Eve.  I looked at the atmos config file for Eve but I'm not sure what settings affect performance.   Anyone know what settings in the Eve config might be taxing my gpu the most?  

For scatterer there shouldn't be a difference on the performance you get anywhere. I'm guessing you have EVE and the default BoulderCo with it's 4 layers of clouds on eve?

9 hours ago, Not a Spy said:

so ive been having general issue with the mod loading

ill get a log now i just wanted to say that

edit: link shoud work https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1J2reqlLnan2NpcG-HniCK1TgkXCo--oo

File is not public

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... I’ve disabled the wave interactions but it still is impossible to land smoothly on the water and once stopped the waves still bounce my SP all around and eventually destroy it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Hmmm... I’ve disabled the wave interactions but it still is impossible to land smoothly on the water and once stopped the waves still bounce my SP all around and eventually destroy it!

Try restarting the game after you disabled them

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blackrack said:

This is off-topic guys so please take this elsewhere.

Yeah, wave interactions are a new feature. You can disable it from the KSC options menu, or lower the wind speed fom kerbin's ocean config (in the scatterer folder).

For scatterer there shouldn't be a difference on the performance you get anywhere. I'm guessing you have EVE and the default BoulderCo with it's 4 layers of clouds on eve?

File is not public

ok ill see if i can get that to work

if there is anything else i can do ill gladly help you  out!

5 hours ago, blackrack said:

This is off-topic guys so please take this elsewhere.

Yeah, wave interactions are a new feature. You can disable it from the KSC options menu, or lower the wind speed fom kerbin's ocean config (in the scatterer folder).

For scatterer there shouldn't be a difference on the performance you get anywhere. I'm guessing you have EVE and the default BoulderCo with it's 4 layers of clouds on eve?

File is not public

ok ill see if i can get that to work

if there is anything else i can do ill gladly help you  out!

 

this should work https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J2reqlLnan2NpcG-HniCK1TgkXCo--oo?usp=sharing

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Not a Spy said:

ok ill see if i can get that to work

if there is anything else i can do ill gladly help you  out!

ok ill see if i can get that to work

if there is anything else i can do ill gladly help you  out!

this should work https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J2reqlLnan2NpcG-HniCK1TgkXCo--oo?usp=sharing

I don't get what's the issue, can you make a full bug report as instructed in the OP?

Link to post
Share on other sites

oh yeah of course i can

KSP: 1.11 Windows 64bit

Problem: MOd qwont work, as in there is no scattering and the ocean has no water

Mods installed:

Most recent versions of avp, scatterer and EVE

all nertea mods and bdb

Reproduction steps:

Simply make a new savegame, and load up the tracking station, then exit it and the ocean is gone

Log:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J2reqlLnan2NpcG-HniCK1TgkXCo--oo?usp=sharing

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Not a Spy said:

oh yeah of course i can

KSP: 1.11 Windows 64bit

Problem: MOd qwont work, as in there is no scattering and the ocean has no water

Mods installed:

Most recent versions of avp, scatterer and EVE

all nertea mods and bdb

Reproduction steps:

Simply make a new savegame, and load up the tracking station, then exit it and the ocean is gone

Log:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J2reqlLnan2NpcG-HniCK1TgkXCo--oo?usp=sharing

You have GU configs in there. As far as I know that's not compatible with avp

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, blackrack said:
20 hours ago, mcbmaestro said:

I'm mostly happy with the fps I get on everywhere but Eve.  I looked at the atmos config file for Eve but I'm not sure what settings affect performance.   Anyone know what settings in the Eve config might be taxing my gpu the most?  

For scatterer there shouldn't be a difference on the performance you get anywhere. I'm guessing you have EVE and the default BoulderCo with it's 4 layers of clouds on

I actually don't have EVE atm, just Scatterer,  Parallax Mod and MJ.    I have tinkered a ton with the detail settings in the Parallax mod but haven't touched any in Scatterer.   I did look at the Scatterer settings for Eve, and noticed it does have a fair amount of settings in the atmos config file and that's how I ended up wondering about them.   

It's not a huge deal though really.  I tend to avoid Eve anyways. :D  And anyone using anything better than my old potatoey GTX960 is going to be fine. (Thanks for making it impossible to upgrade my gpu scalpers...)

Edited by mcbmaestro
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...