[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

soo lets put this up front freaking WOW.

currently using scatterer, wip EVE and planetshine, and strangely enough: all of it works, no strange big gamebreaking bugs! and best of all! no slowdowns! (it looks strangely HIGHER FPS even.. unsure how thats possible.)

only one strange thing. there is a huge red glow around the sun as see going up in the atmosphere..i searched the thread but nothing came up, anyone know why thats happening and what i can do?

If I'm not mistaken that's wip-eve default config.

If I'm not mistaken that's wip-eve default config.

yep, you just beat me to my edit XD, sorry blackrack! it is :P

one upside, now people can find this post with the answer if they are as confused as me.

for search purposes: red sun

Well, it seems brighter than on my stock install for some reason, also, first pic seems more or less alright while second pic it doesn't even look like there's any blue on it. Anyway, I already have a way of dimming the mun and other celestial objects that I haven't released yet (and they get progressively dimmer the more they approach the horizon, you can see it on the previous Laythe/Jool screens that I posted a few pages back) so that may very well fix this but I'm not sure if I can make the dark side completely invisible as I don't want to turn this into a post-processing effect for various reasons.

Thanks for your quick response, and for taking my nitpicking in the spirit in which it was intended. :)

Thanks for your quick response, and for taking my nitpicking in the spirit in which it was intended. :)

No worries, it's something I was working on anyway as it's not very realistic currently. Also working on better eclipses but this might interfere with it.

Just to get a quick idea, could someone photoshop Red's first image to show only the bright side of the mun? Can't do it myself for now.

Just to get a quick idea, could someone photoshop Red's first image to show only the bright side of the mun? Can't do it myself for now.

A rough chop of it:

screenshot105edited.png

ETA: It doesn't seem like that big a difference, but imagine Jool viewed from Laythe, we should see an epicly huge crescent.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I just removed the dark side. No other pixels were harmed in the making of that image. :)

Well that made a dramatic difference. Looks like I'll be looking into the least performance intensive way to implement this soon.

ETA: It doesn't seem like that big a difference, but imagine Jool viewed from Laythe, we should see an epicly huge crescent.

That actually seems like a huge difference to me.

Also, imagine a modded gas giant with huge rings seen going vertically in the sky of one of it's moons.

Edited by blackrack

Blackyrack, I said earlier that I still get the moire effect on the newest version with OpenGL.

Any idea why?

Platform and renderer? Tested without any other mods?

I pretty much can't think of any reasons other than conflicting mods because it's seems to be working fine for me and everyone else.

Platform and renderer? Tested without any other mods?

I pretty much can't think of any reasons other than conflicting mods because it's seems to be working fine for me and everyone else.

I don't have any visual mods except PlanetShine and DOE.

Idk what a platform or renderer is..

Idk what a platform or renderer is..

Version of KSP (Win32, WIn64, Linux32, Linux64, OSX) and graphics api (DX9/DX11/OpenGL).

Also, imagine a modded gas giant with huge rings seen going vertically in the sky of one of it's moons.

I hadn't even considered modded planets, that's a great point.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to better tweak the brightness levels in Scatterer? I find that the the Earth glows a little too much, it sort of looks like a sky-blue ghost from the map view and from orbit. I hit alt+f11 and changed the 100 value to 10 and that seemed to do the trick but even after I click save, the next time I go back into the game, the changes revert back to stock. Does anyone have a customized config file they would be willing to share? Also, I noticed that the clouds from map view appear sort of blurry around the edges....sort of like looking at an image that is meant to be 3D but without 3D glasses. I'm using EVE Overhaul at the moment, stock, none of the textures replaced. I was thinking about going back to the old EVE and Proot's KSPRC textures and keeping scatterer, do you find that scatterer works better with old EVE or the overhaul WIP version?

Well that made a dramatic difference. Looks like I'll be looking into the least performance intensive way to implement this soon.

That actually seems like a huge difference to me.

Yeah, I had thought about doing this in the Planet shader I'm working on. We can tweak it so that there is a shader param for "darkness transparency" or some such param that can be accessed by your mod to change what happens when in atmosphere?

Hey Blackrack, thanks for the fixes, it would appear that most of the issues associated with open-GL have been fixed. However I noticed this break in the haze between the ground and atmosphere portions of the horizon that wasn't there before? This was on windows with force-OpenGL and RSS, I figured it was a clipping plane or camera distance issue however altering any of these values doesn't make a change. Cheers

vwWOQXU.png

EDIT: Just for info this only occurs in PQS and not scaledSpace, This (below) was it before the latest update (still slightly noticable but far less so), regardless the difference this mod makes to the game is indescribable thanks so much:

AjCNdLw.png

Edited by pingopete

Yeah, I had thought about doing this in the Planet shader I'm working on. We can tweak it so that there is a shader param for "darkness transparency" or some such param that can be accessed by your mod to change what happens when in atmosphere?

I was actually thinking about doing a simpler approach with a multiplicative blending layer or something, I sent you a message asking about possible custom blend modes and if that fails doing a grabpass (might be performance intensive) and basically nullifying or lowering values below a set threshold.

Hey Blackrack, thanks for the fixes, it would appear that most of the issues associated with open-GL have been fixed. However I noticed this break in the haze between the ground and atmosphere portions of the horizon that wasn't there before? This was on windows with force-OpenGL and RSS, I figured it was a clipping plane or camera distance issue however altering any of these values doesn't make a change. Cheers

http://i.imgur.com/vwWOQXU.png

EDIT: Just for info this only occurs in PQS and not scaledSpace, This (below) was it before the latest update (still slightly noticable but far less so), regardless the difference this mod makes to the game is indescribable thanks so much:

http://i.imgur.com/AjCNdLw.png

Both this and the moire patterns have something to do with the depth buffer, I already added it in the "known issues of newest version" section and will try to fix it soon.

I was actually thinking about doing a simpler approach with a multiplicative blending layer or something, I sent you a message asking about possible custom blend modes and if that fails doing a grabpass (might be performance intensive) and basically nullifying or lowering values below a set threshold.

Both this and the moire patterns have something to do with the depth buffer, I already added it in the "known issues of newest version" section and will try to fix it soon.

Sorry, shoulda checked that first, my bad

I'd be curious to know what you find. I've wanted to make eclipses and moon phases more realistic for quite some time now. It is why Mun is so bright in my stock configs.

This mod is amazing when put alongside GEMFX it looks beautiful beyond imagination. I personally do not enjoy using this with clouds. Does anyone know any cloud mods that is jut a flat layer of high-res clouds or clouds that only come/fade into view after you pass a certain distance from the surface. I have noticed one bug though. When I start the game up such as loading a save, reverting to launch, or going to the launch pad or runway there is no atmosphere and the sky is all black. This bug is easily fixable by zooming way out until the atmosphere suddenly appears permanently until you go back to the space center but it is very annoying. Also I am running this on KSP x64. Another thing to mention the github link for the config is not working.

Edit: I have also been experiencing the flashing bug that alot of other people seem to be having.

Edited by dudefinal

Is there a way to get to the settings without using alt-f10 / alt-f11, I run linux and alt-f10 is bound to something in the system and alt-f11 seems to be used by contract configurator, is there a way to change the binding?

Actually, Contract Configurator uses Alt-F10, Module Manager uses Alt-F11. Neither of which have a setting to change the hotkey either.

Is there a way to get to the settings without using alt-f10 / alt-f11, I run linux and alt-f10 is bound to something in the system and alt-f11 seems to be used by contract configurator, is there a way to change the binding?

Have you tried shift + f11? Linux uses a different modifier key.