[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

4 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I'm sure you don't, Galileo :cool:

Well, I don't understand the log much but I removed Scatterer, the hi-res textures and a scatterer sunflare config via CKAN.  Reinstalled manually iaw the instructions.  There are still a lot of NREs, mostly associated with my focusing on unmanned craft (I think), but I'm not noticing any freezes/delays.

How does one turn them off?

It's just one of the settings in the window that pops up before you load your save game.

3 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

How does one turn them off?

On the start screen with the main menu press Alt+F10. This will open scatterer config window (it can be already opened, if you didn't hide it). Ocean refraction is the first setting, if I'm not mistaken.

@Krakatoa@majaThanks.

Edit: I also seem to be getting the following error occasionally, but not nearly to the same frequency as the previous one.

[Scatterer] Volumetric clouds error on planet: KerbinSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at scatterer.SkyNode.mapEVEvolumetrics () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by Brigadier

The NRE spamming also happens to me, but only occasionally. Dunno what it's triggered by, Yesterday KSP crashed suddenly and in the output.log I found

[Scatterer] Destroying duplicate instance, check your install for duplicate mod folders

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

just before the crash. I installed SVE with Scatterer and EVE manually according to Galileos instructions. And yes, I did delete the old folders before installing the new versions.:wink:

Logs to be found here.

I can work around that as mentioned above, so I'd just add some data for our fellow devs for hunting down the bugs. =)

Chers

SchrottBot

1 hour ago, Holdground said:

Ok well I did a fresh install of RSS and its working yay. However I still don't have clouds anyone have ideas on that.

Use the correct version? I assume you went to the original thread and didn't check the last page. The version by RBray has been discontinued. 

Edited by Galileo

48 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Use the correct version? I assume you went to the original thread and didn't check the last page. The version by RBray has been discontinued. 

Yes This is all I have installed; currently using RSS V 12.0 https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem , RSS textures 4096 https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases/tag/v10.4 , RSS 1.2 Fix https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50471-12-real-solar-system-v120-dec-8/&page=30 , Kopernicus https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/tag/release-1.3.0-5 , and mod manger, .2.8.0.

15 hours ago, Holdground said:

He's talking about the correct version of EVE. The correct version to use is this one.

8 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

He's talking about the correct version of EVE. The correct version to use is this one.

Well I uninstalled everything and reinstalled, I don't know what I did different but RSS is now working and  and I have clouds yay. Thank for your guys help.

I got a super quick question.  Im trying to integrate scatterer into one of my own mods, and i want to disable all atmospheric rendering (since im using EVE to do this and i personally prefer the way EVE does it and looks) while keeping the oceans and sunflare rendering from scatterer.  Ive tried deleting stuff from the planets folder in the mod but all that does is remove everything including oceans.

Anyways, im pretty certain there is an "easy" way to do this, just that i cant figure out how to do it :(, help appreciated...

Also if not possible, is there a way to alter the scatterer stock atmo renderer to have better looking colors (i want to have much more saturation and darker blue rather then that sky blue the normal mod has) and also have a much higher thickness to it (its way too thin imo).  The colors simply do not fit with my mod whatsoever, so i need to either find a way to disable atmo rendering completely and rely on EVE to do that, or instead find a way to actually make scatterer's atmo renderer not look terrible (well not terrible but it looks way out of place when combined with SciFiVE mod im trying to integrate scatterer into).

Edited by panzer1b

1 hour ago, panzer1b said:

Also if not possible, is there a way to alter the scatterer stock atmo renderer to have better looking colors (i want to have much more saturation and darker blue rather then that sky blue the normal mod has) and also have a much higher thickness to it (its way too thin imo).  The colors simply do not fit with my mod whatsoever, so i need to either find a way to disable atmo rendering completely and rely on EVE to do that, or instead find a way to actually make scatterer's atmo renderer not look terrible (well not terrible but it looks way out of place when combined with SciFiVE mod im trying to integrate scatterer into).

I don't know about disabling it entirely, but if you want to adjust the colors/thickness it looks like the way to do it is with the config tool at the bottom of the OP. It'll take some trial and error and I'm not sure you'll be able to get quite the deep blue look from orbit that your Kerbin has with just EVE atmo, but it should at least be possible to improve on the way SciFiVE looks with standard Scatterer configs.

Running this at 4k with AVP repackaged, and it looks great!

One quick question - at least at 4k, things end up looking 'banded', especially at the terminator. It's somewhat visible in other people's screenshots as well, but basically I think something in the interpolation gives me noticeable stripes of color, rather than a smooth gradient. Is there something I can tweak to improve this?

To be honest, I'm not sure if the cause is scatterer, AVP, or something to do with stock, but I figure that if there is a setting that will help it's probably scatterer-related :) 

I just tried to update to the newest version of AVP on CKAN, and it is preventing me from performing the update with the error message

Module scatterer required but it is not listed in the index, or not available for your version of KSP.

I double checked scatterer and I was able to un-install it, and then re-install it via CKAN, so not sure whats going on there.

15 hours ago, Nachocuban said:

I just tried to update to the newest version of AVP on CKAN, and it is preventing me from performing the update with the error message

Module scatterer required but it is not listed in the index, or not available for your version of KSP.

I double checked scatterer and I was able to un-install it, and then re-install it via CKAN, so not sure whats going on there.

I got, that there was something mixed up on the CKAN configs, as far as I saw it on the AVP thread. But that seems to be a CKAN issue, anyway ... =)

I have strange artifact around Kerbin:

Image%202017-08-26%20at%2010.00.18%20%D0Image%202017-08-26%20at%2010.00.18%20%D0

KSP: 1.3.0

Scatterer: 0.0320b (latest from spacedock.info)

MacOS 10.12.6

AMD Radeon R9 M370X (2GB)

Running from steam.

I have tried "alternative sqrt", but without success.

Edited by Hemml
image missing

On 20.8.2017 at 1:09 AM, Galileo said:

@Brigadier try installing manually. I have no log flood. Maybe CKAN messes with something inadvertently?

I think you can get the log flood by installing scatterer, going into sandbox, build something, port it to minmus.
You also see the kerbin ocean then on minmus. If you don't have the NRE spam, switch back to tracking station and then to the vehicle in minmus orbit.

When flying from Kerbin to Minmus the problem does not happen. But when switching directly to something on/around Minmus, it seem to NRE spam.

I disable ocean shaders for now.

Edited by Jebs_SY

13 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

I think you can get the log flood by installing scatterer, going into sandbox, build something, port it to minmus.
You also see the kerbin ocean then on minmus. If you don't have the NRE spam, switch back to tracking station and then to the vehicle in minmus orbit.

When flying from Kerbin to Minmus the problem does not happen. But when switching directly to something on/around Minmus, it seem to NRE spam.

I disable ocean shaders for now.

I did this a lot when developing SVTs latest update, with SVE installed and didn't get any spam. Perhaps it doesn't happen to everyone

33 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I did this a lot when developing SVTs latest update, with SVE installed and didn't get any spam. Perhaps it doesn't happen to everyone

Hmm, I only need KSP 1.3.0 and a freshly unzipped Scatterer 320b to create the NREs. See here.  Maybe it helps finding it. o/

In my normal career I load the game, switch to my minmus drilling rig and directly get the same continous NRE's. Cause of that I need to switch off the ocean shaders.

Edited by Jebs_SY

This seems to be a problem for us Mac users -  the way I got around it (and I feel bad for forgetting who here told me to do this) was to use an older version of scatterer -  version  0.0300 on SpaceDock (in the change log).

so far, no negative effects from using the older build ...

(PS - it was @Epoxid, as he indices below)

(PPS - oh, yah, the tiles. Also forgot to mention the tiles).

Image%202017-08-26%20at%2010.00.18%20%D0Image%202017-08-26%20at%2010.00.18%20%D0

KSP: 1.3.0

Scatterer: 0.0320b (latest from spacedock.info)

MacOS 10.12.6

AMD Radeon R9 M370X (2GB)

Running from steam.

I have tried "alternative sqrt", but without success.

Edited by JBore
correct error, attribute earlier material to source

On 16.7.2017 at 4:30 PM, Epoxid said:

Thank you very very much for making this fantastic mod!

I also used to have this halo bug in 1.2, and turning on this sqrt-fix removed the halo. It was gone and everything worked nicely up to and including the hot-fix for the floating tiles.

Today, I downloaded the latest release for 1.3, and whether or not the sqrt-fix is on or off, I always have the halo. Meaning... the fix is no longer working for me with with latest version, but before that, it was fine.

I am using OS X and an otherwise clean install of KSP, meaning no other mods.

So, I made some tests:

320b (1st download link on SpaceDock): Sqrt-fix not working, always halo

315 preview (2nd download from top on SpaceDock): Halo is always there, fix is not doing anything on or off

275 preview (3rd download from top on SpaceDock): Fix Works: Halo is gone with alternate sqrt "off". This is the latest version where I can remove the halo...

@Hemml: Please see above for the tests which versions of scatterer have the halo and which not. So, I suppose we have to choose between floating tiles or halos...

Edited by Epoxid

8 hours ago, JBore said:

This seems to be a problem for us Mac users -  the way I got around it (and I feel bad for forgetting who here told me to do this) was to use an older version of scatterer -  version  0.0300 on SpaceDock (in the change log).

Hi @JBore @Hemml, I am a Mac user, using a Mac from about 5 years ago and I am also using the latest Scatterer build. No major issues encountered and definitely no double rainbow...

Jeb is waiting to be picked-up...  Beautiful Scatterer so closely conveys the general atmosphere of being at sea and watching the coast slowly fade from sight in the dusky crepuscule. :cool:

13 hours ago, Chaumas said:

Hi @JBore @Hemml, I am a Mac user, using a Mac from about 5 years ago and I am also using the latest Scatterer build. No major issues encountered and definitely no double rainbow...

Jeb is waiting to be picked-up...  Beautiful Scatterer so closely conveys the general atmosphere of being at sea and watching the coast slowly fade from sight in the dusky crepuscule. :cool:

Can I ask what model/year you're using? I'm wondering if this is video card specific, since Macs are so standardized .... 

And that is exactly the crespulent lighting that makes this mod so wonderful.