[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

1 hour ago, dok_377 said:

Me too.  But not only on Jool. The same thing happened when I switched  to my old career save and loaded the space station in 200 km orbit around Kerbin.

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I'm also experiencing the above bug in the stock game with Scatterer 0.0700, its noticeable when in orbit around Jool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dncisrxm5p90i52/0700_Jool_Camera_Issue.zip?dl=0

Steps:

- Load new Sandbox save

- Click on launch pad and launch a vessel

- Cheat vessel to orbit of Jool (issue appears)

- Quicksave and reload to reset camera

- Issue still persists

8 hours ago, Black-Two- said:

0.0770 made this happen: https://imgur.com/a/M6hZX2p

For some reason I can't upload images directly...

Edit: Also, is there something special I have to do to get oceans back in JNSQ?

Could you test this? https://mega.nz/file/jAwExTAY#R68EIN1HWLVcK39my_h6KTtobde9nu3O1KNty1Y1rT8

27 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Hard to tell without proper playtime, but cheating the vessel into Jool's (also Laythe's) orbit and switching to the same station in the career save didn't reproduce the effect with the given dll. I will get back to you if I see something in the future. 

On 5/7/2021 at 6:46 AM, blackrack said:

For 1: Eclipses only apply to the sky, not (yet) on local objects/scattering.

2. No idea, looks like a precision issue with EVE-redux, are you on the latest EVE-redux? Is that Mun or Minmus's shadow?

1. Oh, alright. When can I expect this feature?

2. I am very certain I have the latest version of EVE redux, almost as certain as it being the Mun's shadow. 

Shaddowmapping is really weird indeed... We all look forward to the day where we all have rtx cards and better rt compatibility with unity therefore ksp can have it

Edited by kerbalxploder

3 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

1. Oh, alright. When can I expect this feature

?

In the undisclosed future

3 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

haddowmapping is really weird indeed... We all look forward to the day where we all have rtx cards and better rt compatibility with unity therefore ksp can have it

Shadowmapping is not used for celestial shadows. Both EVE and scatterer assimilate planets to spheres and calculate eclipses analytically, allowing for smooth and cheap umbra and penumbra effects which shadowmapping can't do:

Skugga.jpg

I'll also add my own personal opinion that shadows are not a good use of hardware RT, and neither are reflections, IMO any RT budget should go towards true global illumination as that's the real game changer.

Edited by blackrack

Getting a logspam of this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    scatterer.OceanNode.OnPreCull () (at <db4451e6c1fd443c8b762a77e1ee9797>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.Unity

It's not affecting performance or anything, it's just really wierd.

22 minutes ago, Zapo147 said:

just dropping in to note that the latest version of this mod is not backwards compatible with 1.10, which is probably obvious to most but could be useful info for some since most mods are backwards compatible

It would be nice to have a version file somewhere in download folder.

So it is correct, that latest version is not compatible to KSP V1.10.x?

37 minutes ago, Zapo147 said:

just dropping in to note that the latest version of this mod is not backwards compatible with 1.10, which is probably obvious to most but could be useful info for some since most mods are backwards compatible

What exactly makes it 'not backwards compatible'? I think others have used it on 1.10 with RSS.

I am having troubles with the latest version, especially in atmosphere, some frames overlap. I don't have vsync activated, which could explain that, but else if I pan the camera around, one frame gets "stuck" and I can't see the actual frames (the simulation still runs, I just can't see what's happening).

3cBAqlV.jpg

bsScTdn.jpg

q3ZzHDN.jpg

1 hour ago, KawaiiLucy said:

I am having troubles with the latest version, especially in atmosphere, some frames overlap. I don't have vsync activated, which could explain that, but else if I pan the camera around, one frame gets "stuck" and I can't see the actual frames (the simulation still runs, I just can't see what's happening).

Try https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip19x-110x-111x-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-00770-17052021/&do=findComment&comment=3976312

14 hours ago, Zapo147 said:

It absolutely is compatible, don't know where you're getting that idea from. I'm using it in 1.10.1 without a problem. 

FYI - After upgrading to v0.0770 I discovered that city lights disappeared from flight mode. If I revert to v0.0723 city lights return.

The city lights are visible in tracking station and map mode, and from ships in orbit. But not with atmospheric flight scenes. 

I am using EVE Redux v 1.11.2.1 and the stock configs EVE-1.2.2-1

If you need additional information let me know.

15 hours ago, KawaiiLucy said:

Still getting the same results. Also verified the game files in steam.

EDIT: changing preset from integrated to medium solves this issue

Can you make a full bug report and post some steps to reproduce the issue?

1 hour ago, Caerfinon said:

FYI - After upgrading to v0.0770 I discovered that city lights disappeared from flight mode. If I revert to v0.0723 city lights return.

The city lights are visible in tracking station and map mode, and from ships in orbit. But not with atmospheric flight scenes. 

I am using EVE Redux v 1.11.2.1 and the stock configs EVE-1.2.2-1

If you need additional information let me know.

Huh so there are people out there that use city lights :blink: I will take a look when I get the chance I'm sure it's a simple fix.

57 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Can you make a full bug report and post some steps to reproduce the issue?

Huh so there are people out there that use city lights :blink: I will take a look when I get the chance I'm sure it's a simple fix.

It is working on 0.0767dev in 1.10  if that helps. People on newest release have also been reporting that they indeed not work in atmo flight. 

Edited by Theysen

Hi!

I have encountered a strange visual bug since i updated from 723 to 770, I also added USI Life support mods but since they don't change anything to visuals except for parts so I post it here.

https://imgur.com/v2j4bgs

It looks like to me the atmosphere didn't load in or something went wrong? 

Had this for several times now, always when loading into Kerbal space center.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HDNGbqmTkH37tvmWexOsQTvA8ZmotFSt/view?usp=sharing         Player.log file, if i miss anything to figure this one let me know please!

Edited by Kerdel

Apologies if this has been answered already, but what is the "Integrated" preset? My install defaults to that every time I boot up the game, but I get weird shadows with it. If I switch to another preset, it's fine, but I'm trying to figure out how to default to High, for example. 

On 5/24/2021 at 9:47 PM, Kerdel said:

Hi!

I have encountered a strange visual bug since i updated from 723 to 770, I also added USI Life support mods but since they don't change anything to visuals except for parts so I post it here.

https://imgur.com/v2j4bgs

It looks like to me the atmosphere didn't load in or something went wrong? 

Had this for several times now, always when loading into Kerbal space center.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HDNGbqmTkH37tvmWexOsQTvA8ZmotFSt/view?usp=sharing         Player.log file, if i miss anything to figure this one let me know please!

I will check it out.

11 hours ago, Zelda said:

Apologies if this has been answered already, but what is the "Integrated" preset? My install defaults to that every time I boot up the game, but I get weird shadows with it. If I switch to another preset, it's fine, but I'm trying to figure out how to default to High, for example. 

Integrated is for integrated graphics and means that almost everything is disabled. Does the game really default to it? Show a screenshot of the UI. Anyway if it defaults to it it means there is another mod or moduleManager patch forcing your config when the game starts, try testing without any visual packs/configs and just default scatterer.

KSP: 1.11.1 Windows 64bit

Problem: Overlapping Frames , game still running in background

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0770

Eve-Redux

Rescale 2.5x

Galaxies Unbound

Restock

OPM +visuals

Reproduction steps:

was unable to reproduce again, but: set settings to integrated. Bug appeared during reentry from a mission to minmus, and during reentry from mission to duna

settings on medium get rid of the problem.

Note

Running ksp on laptop with graphics card

Edited by KawaiiLucy

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

Integrated is for integrated graphics and means that almost everything is disabled. Does the game really default to it? Show a screenshot of the UI. Anyway if it defaults to it it means there is another mod or moduleManager patch forcing your config when the game starts, try testing without any visual packs/configs and just default scatterer.

I see, thanks so much for the reply! I was fooled by the UI, since it highlights "Integrated" but the text above says "no preset - custom settings." I haven't messed with the settings. So maybe it's not defaulting to integrated, but as I mentioned I get weird shadows unless I choose another preset before the flight scene. I did have the latest Astronomer's Visual Pack installed, but removing that didn't fix the issue. The only other visual mod I have is EVE. I will try reinstalling scatterer to see if that lets it default to one of the other presets.

Here is the preset UI and all the settings pages I am seeing: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmAxSBcQL19WnrZ_GbwSB4b_rYREUQ

Edit: Just reinstalled and now defaults to Low. :blush: Sorry for not trying that first but I really appreciate the pointer!

Edited by Zelda
It's working now