[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Hello, I am having an issue with the patch dll from page 375 which fixed the frame overlap but makes it so that is the controlling part of a craft gets destroyed, the entire screen goes black, this is not an issue with the official released patch, thanks.

4 hours ago, SolarShield said:

Hello, I am having an issue with the patch dll from page 375 which fixed the frame overlap but makes it so that is the controlling part of a craft gets destroyed, the entire screen goes black, this is not an issue with the official released patch, thanks.

Hmm that's a good reproduction step if that works.

To reproduce it you have to be in any craft and then control from a particular part such as a cockpit. Next you just crash the craft at enough sped to destroy the cockpit and you will see the screen go black but the ui and debris blips will still be there and indicate that the debris is getting farther away.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:23 PM, kerbalxploder said:

I hope I am not adding to the seemingly-overwhelming amount of scatterer users on this forum, but I would like to inform something, not really even a bug.

I have discovered that Scatterer, upon loading a scene, likes to turn the stock FXAA all the way down. 

As a user of Scatterer who used to use the stock FXAA and the SMAA from Scatterer, I feel like this is a downgrade to visual quality. And if anyone says that using 2 layers of Anti-aliasing is unnecessary, take a look at this:

• Scatterer SMAA only, stock FXAA disabled (Scatterer likes to set it to this)

img%5D

• Scatterer SMAA with 8x stock FXAA (I have to manually go to settings and set this every time)

img%5D

Here's a link to a folder with 2 screen recordings comparing the 2 with the camera in motion.

Especially looking at the Astronaut complex, you can see that double-layer AA looks much better.

Some might argue that having the stock FXAA on with the Scatterer SMAA creates an enormous weird shadow. However, that is circumstantial to when the 2nd setting in the Depth Buffer Mode is activated (Merge depth pre-pass into main depth.... etc)

img%5D

As someone who owns an instagram account posting screenshots (and also simply just a visuals-phile), I want the clearest looking imagery possible. Unless there is a reason that the stock FXAA shouldn't be on, such as a technical issue or a major performance hit (Which I doubt bc its FXAA), I plead for whatever is set to disable the stock AA be removed on the next update.

Instead, the feature can be set for the Merge Depth pre-pass setting, where if it is set, it gives a warning or disables the stock AA automatically, etc. 

Regardless, I hope all of the devs and whoever read my forum post all the way down here a great rest of their day.

Same. Fix when ?

Hey, awesome job on scatterer! Also, Sorry if this has been said before, but id there a way to use the old sunflare config type instead of the new version? I made a temporary fix by switching to an older version of scatterer sunflare in CKAN but it brought visual glitches with it. I would really like to use my custom sunflare without modifying the scatter files!

3 hours ago, IsaQuest said:

Hey, awesome job on scatterer! Also, Sorry if this has been said before, but id there a way to use the old sunflare config type instead of the new version? I made a temporary fix by switching to an older version of scatterer sunflare in CKAN but it brought visual glitches with it. I would really like to use my custom sunflare without modifying the scatter files!

Old sunflares should "just work", just omit syntaxVersion, or set syntaxVersion=1. See here for more info: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/wiki/SunflaresConfig#syntax-version-1

What kind of glitch are you getting?

Edited by blackrack

8 hours ago, blackrack said:

Old sunflares should "just work", just omit syntaxVersion, or set syntaxVersion=1. See here for more info: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/wiki/SunflaresConfig#syntax-version-1

What kind of glitch are you getting?

Ok thanks! The glitches I was talking about were just messing with the scattering and a lot of black artifacts were on my screen, so I kept it on the newer version. 

Ok, so for those who are getting issues with the latest release please try this new .dll : https://mega.nz/file/DNpU3JKI#7UUsMabgo9ufplK5zqvjUDQ2mkm2M6J8S2OXSq15ZPY

Changelog:

Fixed an issue with screen turning black if the command part is destroyed
Fixed an issue with images stuck on-screen when returning to a planet with an ocean from a very long distance

@SolarShield @KawaiiLucy @Black-Two- :  This should fix the issue you reported

Edited by blackrack

4 hours ago, Darknote said:

Hello,

Did anyone else encounter this all-encompassing shadow of a ship as you zoom out? I can't find any information on this... :(

Thanks for any advice!

It’s very to hard tell from the video as it’s very short, but if I had to guess it’s actually a TUFX ambient occlusion issue. 

16 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

It’s very to hard tell from the video as it’s very short, but if I had to guess it’s actually a TUFX ambient occlusion issue. 

It happens whenever I zoom out of from the ship, like they replace the ship's textures or shadows with something less performance impacting? But it's annoying as heck. This happen to you too? I use TUFx and Scatterer and Spectra..

But thanks for that hint, I can try disable TUFx and see what happens.

EDIT: Disabled TUFx, same problem :(

Edited by Darknote

18 minutes ago, Darknote said:

It happens whenever I zoom out of from the ship, like they replace the ship's textures or shadows with something less performance impacting? But it's annoying as heck. This happen to you too? I use TUFx and Scatterer and Spectra..

But thanks for that hint, I can try disable TUFx and see what happens.

EDIT: Disabled TUFx, same problem :(

Looks like the stock shadow issue, try setting scatterer to the very high preset

On 6/18/2021 at 9:21 AM, blackrack said:

Looks like the stock shadow issue, try setting scatterer to the very high preset

I saw you guys talk about that a few times in this thread. How does one do that? This is my scatterer config window looks like :( 

My TUFx config is Alberro's Map btw <Removed link at Creators' request>

0gvGDAu.png

Edited by Darknote

On 6/18/2021 at 2:25 AM, Darknote said:

I saw you guys talk about that a few times in this thread. How does one do that? This is my scatterer config window looks like :( 

My TUFx config is Alberro's Map btw: 

0gvGDAu.png

My config definetely doesn't do that on my end. 

Came here to ask about the shadow draw distance he shows there. I've been playing in 1.8.1 up until yesterday, and I can't help but notice that scatterer's newest version changed for the worse. The antialiasing performance setting makes the game practically unplayable, making it all blurry.  Another issue is the shadow draw distance being much shorter than it was before. 

With all that said, I'm using version 0.0723 of scatterer, and managed to not have that blurring issue. The main issue as of right now is that shadow draw distance. Is there any way to increase it?

P.s, I think Darknote's video shows an issue similar to mine, except his is way darker. My shadows just go all blurry if I zoom out a little bit.

Edited by alberro+

Just now, alberro+ said:

Came here to ask about the shadow draw distance he shows there. I've been playing in 1.8.1 up until yesterday, and I can't help but notice that scatterer's newest version changed for the worse. The antialiasing performance setting makes the game practically unplayable, making it all blurry.  Another issue is the shadow draw distance being much shorter than it was before. 

With all that said, I'm using version 0.0723 of scatterer, and managed to not have that blurring issue. The main issue as of right now is that shadow draw distance. Is there any way to increase it?

P.s, I think Darknote's video shows an issue similar to mine, except his is way darker. My shadows just go all blurry if I zoom out a little bit.

Just want to take this chance to say thank you for the Config, it makes the game 1000x better, same with blackrack's scatterer!!!  1000 times thank you! :( 

3 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Make a proper bug report. Actually, just read the changelog.

Edited by blackrack

Just uploaded a new version with all the previous fixes + a compatibility fix for TUFX's AO (0.0770 prevents it from showing up).

Full changelog:

- Fixed a few issues with stuck images on-screen, in some cases during re-entry or when cheating a craft to another planet
- Fixed screen becoming black when crashing command part
- Fixed oceanFFT nullref spam
- Fixed incompatibility with TUFX ambient occlusion

17 hours ago, blackrack said:

Just uploaded a new version with all the previous fixes + a compatibility fix for TUFX's AO (0.0770 prevents it from showing up).

Full changelog:

- Fixed a few issues with stuck images on-screen, in some cases during re-entry or when cheating a craft to another planet
- Fixed screen becoming black when crashing command part
- Fixed oceanFFT nullref spam
- Fixed incompatibility with TUFX ambient occlusion

cU3i1Mj.png

EDIT: Ok that fixed the problem. Thanks a ton blackrack!!

Edited by Darknote

9 hours ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

I installed the newest version on CKAN and i cant see godrays. Is there a way to fix it? Also the atmospheric effect is not visible on the map view nor in space. Just visible when landed on it.

For the godrays, you need to enable them and enable terrain shadows, easiest is to pick the "very high" preset from scatterer menu in the KSC screen.

For the other issue, check in the OP how to report an issur because that doesn't tell us much.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

For the godrays, you need to enable them and enable terrain shadows, easiest is to pick the "very high" preset from scatterer menu in the KSC screen.

For the other issue, check in the OP how to report an issur because that doesn't tell us much.

I fixed the planet atmospheric effects but god rays are still absent even on the max preset. Also i have 3 times all presents. Like i have 3 lows 3 mids 3 very highs.

41 minutes ago, BlackEyedPhantom said:

I fixed the planet atmospheric effects but god rays are still absent even on the max preset. Also i have 3 times all presents. Like i have 3 lows 3 mids 3 very highs.

Sounds like you have 3 copies of scatterer installed... Are you on directx11? Post a screenshot from KSC looking towards the mountains at sunset when the sun hits the mountain edges, and your shadows and scattering config screens.

Edited by blackrack