[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

After updating to the newest version, I have some weird issues with Beyond Home planets. Can't really describe so pics:

2LgNqaK.png

So first off, most planets/moons with an atmosphere got a weird, inappropriate glare; that's Lua for example, it only got 10 km of atmosphere but this effect makes it look like a lot more.

bWTrufK.png

And then there's Hydrus, the second innermost planet, which is completely broken.

321z7mF.png

I will probably downgrade the version again, but would appreciate it if someone could take a look at it, will also cross-post it over to the Beyond Home tread.

Edited by Neebel
fixed broken image link

14 hours ago, Neebel said:

After updating to the newest version, I have some weird issues with Beyond Home planets. Can't really describe so pics:

uGrO6tr.png

So first off, most planets/moons with an atmosphere got a weird, inappropriate glare; that's Lua for example, it only got 10 km of atmosphere but this effect makes it look like a lot more.

bWTrufK.png

And then there's Hydrus, the second innermost planet, which is completely broken.

321z7mF.png

I will probably downgrade the version again, but would appreciate it if someone could take a look at it, will also cross-post it over to the Beyond Home tread.

I have this problem as well but with kerbin

The Atmosphere seems too big

xBzfNIe.png

On 11/11/2021 at 7:46 PM, blackrack said:

Not required, well I guess it's a bug then. If you can just add an issue here (you can just link/copy the forum post since it has all the details): https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues

Sooo I've reached out TU team, and they brought some details and testing that can be found here :

Also, a friend of mine gave me another feedback, still waiting for further details but seeing my video, this is his reaction : "had the same issue but without even TU, since i was using Restock. Had most of graphics mods that you show in your GameData, but older version as it's an older install, older issue".

Sooo... Might be related to EVE Redux maybe ? Did not change my EVE Redux version between working / flickering state, only Scatterer as said previously, but maybe the new scatterer triggered something ?

Hope it can help, thanks again, i'll stick with the older Scatterer till some fix it happens :p

I updated scatterer, scatterer default config, and scatterer sunflare on Sunday, and I've been getting Unity GC collection crashes that I wasn't getting before the upgrade. I know...upload logs...I have not been able to capture the logs yet, and I was just wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue? It could be related to something else, external to the game itself (windows updates etc), or possibly interaction with some other mods (I have a ton) and just coincidental timing.

So just to list the issues I've noticed with the scatterer update on my game (I'm not a programmer so I apologize if this isn't helpful), the atmospheres of kerbin and Laythe are huge, the ships light up bright blue on the day side of Kerbin up to at least 120k, Kerbin's terminator is misshapen (viewed from the poles, kerbin looks kind of like a blue pacman).

I've got a lot of mods running, took a minute to narrow it down to scatterer but going back to 3:v0.0772 fixes everything, so it's pretty trivial.  Thanks for everything you do guys!

Edited by theicon32
some of the issues I originally listed seem unrelated to scatterer

I'm trying to get the stock anti aliasing to work again with modern scatterer and I'm willing to sacrifice some performance to it cause even with post processing AA in scatterer I have many things that just look horrible. 

What was mentioned in some previous posts was that I need to switch scatterer back into projector mode for it to work. I've looked everywhere for a setting with this name, but I could find none. The closest I found was this:
 useDepthBufferMode = True
weirdly enough this one only exists in the presets, and is not present in the settings.cfg. Adding it to the settings cfg manually and setting it to false does not appear to fix it. 

One workaround-ish thing I have found is to set TUFX antialiasing to temporal, which works great, if only it didn't make everything look like it was out of focus too.

So my question is, how do I get good MSAA to work again? It just looks horrible to have the navigation light poles fade in and out of existence because they are too thin. 

Thanks for any help!

Alright, so this bug has persisted for a while and now I cant seem to avoid it.

KSP: 1.11.2 Windows 64bit

Problem: Water's surface mesh clumped into a large cuboid over the KSC

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0825b

Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux 1.11.51

Spectra 1.5.0

Reproduction steps:

Load a save, once you get in, the camera should be placed inside the oscillating cube.

Note:

You can see the abomination at the launchpad and runway. As I launched a rocket from the launchpad, it looks really weird as you get higher.

The water is still where it is supposed to be, but it's invisible.

Spoiler

Hope these pictures help.

https://imgur.com/a/cx8AFNc

Also, I know I've had this bug before.

Edited by Naeth Kerman
Added more pictures to the Imgur link.

Sorry guys I'm on vacation and can't look into any issues currently, but I will list some of the recurring issues I saw mentioned:

1) Flickering textures with TU: Dakitess and TU guys provided a good lead

2) Atmos are xbox hueg: Don't know, I configured stock kerbin to be ~70km iirc, you may just be using a config that hasn't uodated for the new version

3) Blue atmo on ship in orbit:: old bug that seems to have come back with the new version

4) MSAA: MSAA with new scatterer will causes blac k lines, and peojector mode has been removed from the newest version (check the changelog for why), there is TAA in scatterer you can use or SMAA

5) Ttansparent flags: haven't looked into it. Make flag non transparent as a temp fix maybe?

6) Clumped ocean: No obvious leads in the logs although the issue appears sincw a version changed. Haven't looked into it further.

20 hours ago, blackrack said:

3) Blue atmo on ship in orbit:: old bug that seems to have come back with the new version

Before I  forget, I have seen this 2 days ago on test version for multi-sun support v0.0785 from 2021-08-22 as well - like a "backwards infection" sine I tested 0.0824+
Weird is, that I did not ever have it before I read about it since 0.0824+ test releases came out.

Edited by Gordon Dry

29 minutes ago, EasyAce said:

Noo!

Some days ago the planets looked beautifull! Blue, shiny and with fine atmospheres.

Today it is all but gone. Reverted back to the old.

What did you do in the latest update?

Just want to add:

It seems my scatterer stopped working with the latest version: 3:v.0.0825b

I tried 3:v.0.0825 and had the same issues.

Then when I switched to 3:v.0.0824 everything was working again.... so I stick to 824 :)

10 hours ago, EasyAce said:

Noo!

Some days ago the planets looked beautifull! Blue, shiny and with fine atmospheres.

Today it is all but gone. Reverted back to the old.

What did you do in the latest update?

Some/many of the new features basically require re-creation of atmosphere configs for planet packs.

The funky blue overlay on spacecraft is a bug.

The dev is apparently on vacation at the moment, so the best bet is to roll back to the previous 'happy' version for the time being, and just enjoy the public test version on a game you're not relying on for screenshots. :D

22 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Some/many of the new features basically require re-creation of atmosphere configs for planet packs.

The funky blue overlay on spacecraft is a bug.

The dev is apparently on vacation at the moment, so the best bet is to roll back to the previous 'happy' version for the time being, and just enjoy the public test version on a game you're not relying on for screenshots. :D

I've already made some ridiculous atmospheres! Sadly I took no screenshots of them.