[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

This should fix the blue atmo on ships in orbit, just replace the shaders from latest version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b3P27snp629reVFDgy_3El16LzACI0Il/view?usp=sharing

On 11/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, Hyperspace Industries said:

CKAN says scatterer conflicts with Scatterer, it conflicts with itself, I can't install any mods with CKAN now. How do I fix this?

Ask in CKAN thread.

On 11/26/2021 at 3:07 AM, Willer Kerman said:

Does anyone have a working link for the 0.0824 version? I tried donloading via CKAN but the download never ends

I removed 0.0824 for being buggy. Download 0.0825b and combine it with the fix above.

Hello

I've been playing scatterer for a while now, it's a great mod!

I'm playing on 1.11.2.

The scatterer version I use most often is the 0.0767 Pre-Release. 

However, once, I tried using 0.0722. This version's sunflare is a bit messed up, but makes TUFX and Engine Effects and Reentry effects look much better.

0.0767 Doesn't have the cool effects, but the sunflare works.

Does anyone know a version that has a working sunflare and cool effects, or a config that makes 0.0767 have cool effects, or a config that makes 0.0722's sunflare work?

Images

https://imgur.com/a/DDCjvPJ

I also don't have the log right now, if you need it. I'm quite new to the forums. I hope this problem doesn't need it.

This is in RSS with mods that may or may not affect this such as Reentry particle effects renewed, EVE, scatterer (obviously), RSSVE, Engine Lighting Relit, TU, TUFX (I use Fox's Warm HDR Profile) and Waterfall, if that helps.

Thanks!

Edited by 1something

Sorry, I tried to figure out the answer first, and I know CKAN would solve this specifically but no.

Having the same JNSQ issue, atmospheres completely unlit/black for a number of bodies. The answer given to the other person asking was to update configs, but I'm not sure where I should be getting them separate from what's inside Scatterer and JNSQ already.

JNSQ hasn't updated its configs yet, so they don't technically exist. I believe the reason for the blackness is that JNSQ sets the variable cloudColorMultiplier to 0 for several planets.

I've made some configs for JNSQ that work with the latest version of scatterer if you're interested. They should be fairly similar to the default, but no promises.

5 hours ago, Coldrifting said:

I've made some configs for JNSQ that work with the latest version of scatterer if you're interested. They should be fairly similar to the default, but no promises.

I'll give those a try, thank you very much! I'm gonna get to it likely before you'd reply anyways and I'll find out, but along with those configs and JNSQ, all I need installed is the Scatterer mod itself right? It's one of those mods I'm never 100% sure will need external configs, cause some mods seem to provide them (like JNSQ), or like, if I'll still need the stock planet configs or not.

Sidenote:

Spoiler

I'd use CKAN but... no more. Tried it just now hoping the outdated JNSQ scatterer config issue would be solved that way, and I don't know if this is just happening for me, but CKAN will not install JNSQ. It just gives me one error or another every time. So back to manual with your configs, thank you again!

Latest error as I tabbed from this reply if interested:

About to install:

* JNSQ 0.10.2 (cached)
The operation is not valid for the state of the transaction.
Error during installation!
If the above message indicates a download error, please try again. Otherwise, please open an issue for us to investigate.
If you suspect a metadata problem: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/new/choose
If you suspect a bug in the client: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/new/choose

There was a previous time I got an error, was advised of running KSP instance, and found one in task manager in the background, but I've triple-checked for that.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

2 hours ago, Folkhoer said:

Hi guys, I have this weird bug with Beyond home. To make it weirder: it only happens around like 80 - 110 km height, once I go higher it just disappears.

1uBmbdJ.jpg

On 12/3/2021 at 10:18 PM, blackrack said:

This should fix the blue atmo on ships in orbit, just replace the shaders from latest version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b3P27snp629reVFDgy_3El16LzACI0Il/view?usp=sharing

See Blackrack's post a few days ago on this page.

@blackrack Whenever you have time to look at this, I've noticed an issue with atmosphereless bodies in the latest release of Scatterer with TAA enabled: The bodies seem to "smear" as if the antialiasing doesn't realise the bodies or camera are moving around. This is cleared by other things, like the skybox or a vessel, as well as sometimes certain regions of the screen?

Images below:

Spoiler

ZVnaNgA.png

htdowHE.png

dNKmzkJ.png

The craft was spinning for all of these, to give a better idea of its effect on the images.

To reproduce, what I did was get a new install of KSP 1.12.2, install scatterer v0.0825b (and the blue crafts fix), start a sandbox game, go into the scatterer settings, set the preset to "high," then turn SMAA off and TAA on. Then I cheated a simple craft into low orbit of an airless body. I'm not sure the "high" preset is necessary, nor is cheating.

log is here, if it helps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rN-kLg_vgcSh8n4inPy67kGwHUCPCWq-/view?usp=sharing

Edited by RyanRising

10 hours ago, RyanRising said:

@blackrack Whenever you have time to look at this, I've noticed an issue with atmosphereless bodies in the latest release of Scatterer with TAA enabled: The bodies seem to "smear" as if the antialiasing doesn't realise the bodies or camera are moving around. This is cleared by other things, like the skybox or a vessel, as well as sometimes certain regions of the screen?

Images below:

Reveal hidden contents

ZVnaNgA.png

htdowHE.png

dNKmzkJ.png

The craft was spinning for all of these, to give a better idea of its effect on the images.

To reproduce, what I did was get a new install of KSP 1.12.2, install scatterer v0.0825b (and the blue crafts fix), start a sandbox game, go into the scatterer settings, set the preset to "high," then turn SMAA off and TAA on. Then I cheated a simple craft into low orbit of an airless body. I'm not sure the "high" preset is necessary, nor is cheating.

log is here, if it helps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rN-kLg_vgcSh8n4inPy67kGwHUCPCWq-/view?usp=sharing

This is why TAA isn't enabled by default

44 minutes ago, blackrack said:

This is why TAA isn't enabled by default

Ok, but, like, can I do anything about it? Or do I just have to go back to 0.0772?
EDIT: I mean while keeping some antialiasing other than SMAA, which does not look very nice.

Edited by RyanRising

55 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Ok, but, like, can I do anything about it? Or do I just have to go back to 0.0772?
EDIT: I mean while keeping some antialiasing other than SMAA, which does not look very nice.

No idea, this probably still happens in the old version.

1 hour ago, RyanRising said:

Have you tried TUFX's TAA yet? That works fine for me.

I think it's enough to create an empty profile that only has a name and the AA method set. However, TAA doesn't work well with map view, but you can make a different profile for map view and tracking station without TAA.

KSP: 1.12.2 Windows 64-bit

Problem: Pixel values greater than 1 appear incorrect (black or some combination of saturated RGB values). Problem disappears when tonemapper selection is changed, even if changed back to the previous value.

Spoiler

t2PaOlV.jpg

y3w5nZx.jpg

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0825b

Reproduction steps:

Use fresh install of Scatterer with default settings. Look at the sun glint on the water from the space center after sunrise, or look at spacecraft windows in sunlight with its lights turned on, etc. After tonemapper selection is changed and a scene change applies the change, the problem will never re-appear, even after changing back to default tonemapper and restarting the program.

Log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pEp69U2JjoXRQcoZE0fQiw3pis5AX1GW/view?usp=sharing

Note: I can also reproduce this issue on my main PC (Windows 10, Ryzen 3700X, GTX 1080 Ti)

3 hours ago, harbingerdawn said:
KSP: 1.12.2 Windows 64-bit

Problem: Pixel values greater than 1 appear incorrect (black or some combination of saturated RGB values). Problem disappears when tonemapper selection is changed, even if changed back to the previous value.

Reveal hidden contents

t2PaOlV.jpg

y3w5nZx.jpg

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0825b

Reproduction steps:

Use fresh install of Scatterer with default settings. Look at the sun glint on the water from the space center after sunrise, or look at spacecraft windows in sunlight with its lights turned on, etc. After tonemapper selection is changed and a scene change applies the change, the problem will never re-appear, even after changing back to default tonemapper and restarting the program.

Log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pEp69U2JjoXRQcoZE0fQiw3pis5AX1GW/view?usp=sharing

Note: I can also reproduce this issue on my main PC (Windows 10, Ryzen 3700X, GTX 1080 Ti)

So this appears by default on the uncharted tonemapper (setting 2)? I definitely ran into this issue only when changing to the bruneton tonemapper so this is interesting.

15 hours ago, blackrack said:

No idea, this probably still happens in the old version.

Yeah, but I wouldn’t have to use TAA if MSAA is available.

15 hours ago, Delay said:

Have you tried TUFX's TAA yet? That works fine for me.

I think it's enough to create an empty profile that only has a name and the AA method set. However, TAA doesn't work well with map view, but you can make a different profile for map view and tracking station without TAA.

I actually don’t have TUFX installed - probably worth a shot.

EDIT: The implementation there doesn't seem fantastic either.

Edited by RyanRising

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

So this appears by default on the uncharted tonemapper (setting 2)? I definitely ran into this issue only when changing to the bruneton tonemapper so this is interesting.

No, this appeared with the Bruneton tonemapper (setting 1), which was the default when I started it up.

Just pushed the following fixes:

- Fixed wrong scattering on ships near atmosphere edge (most noticeable as blue tint appearing on ships in orbit)
- Fixed flickering sky in reflections (most noticeable on TU parts)
- Fixed flickering clouds in reflections (most noticeable on TU parts)
- Fixed mirror image on scaled planets with in-game AA set to off
- Fix broken multi-star lighting on scaled planets with eclipses on

Checked ckan today and got some updates.  Mostly Scatterer and I think one EVE.  The update went normally and KSP runs ok.  The thing is that now the dark side of Kerbin is white.  Just wondering if this is a holidays theme.

9 hours ago, SolarShield said:

There is currently a bug with the shader where the log spams missing "_MainTex" whenever Jool is loaded. I have tracked it down to the latest update. To replicate just zoom into jool on the Tracking Station.

That actually makes sense why it happens... An edge case I haven't tested I guess. Although the log spam itself should be moderate (once every second or so and not a full on every frame spam)

Edited by blackrack