[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

2 hours ago, maculator said:

I just did notice that I think EVE itself is the problem ... If I look at planet eve with only EVE installed it is a purple ball too...

So I guess I'll compliment myself out of this thread an try to find a solution over in the EVE thread. This is gonna be fun searching for "Eve clouds not showing" in the EVE thread :/

Should have checked that before, stupid old me. Well maybe the SVE complete pack I'm downloading right now ill work - might aswell just use that.

Edit:

38MthCI.png

Thank you ALL!!! This is the most beautiful thing I saw today!

https://github.com/Galileo88/StockVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/v1.1.6

the linked complete pack worked!

That is an outdated version, btw. It will work in 1.2.2, but just know its not the latest version

37 minutes ago, maculator said:

@Galileo I know its not the latest but every other version of eve I got my hands on either didn't work or like the last two releases messes up the planet eve.

The version of EVE in SVE 1.1.6 and the new version are nearly identical. The only difference being the models EVE can cast shadows on. Other than that, it's exactly the same and should work fine.

10 hours ago, blackrack said:

There used to be a very obvious line around 300m in front of the camera where the postprocessing effect starts, this is fixed.

I think I just noticed this last night. Great!

I haven't tested with EVE or any other mods, I expect the clouds might be visible through the underwater surface, please tell me if this is the case.

they are not visible. Should the 2D clouds at least be visible when looking straight up?

NearClipPlane parameter is back in the config file, I don't recommend messing with it.

so many thanks! I set it to 0.1 and can see all around my IVAs without any nasty clipping and I don't notice any ground/water clipping effects either when outside of IVA

Looks great! Performance is still real good.

eflciDa.png

the atmosphere is different though. Did you tweak the configs for Kerbin or is there something more fundamental with this new version? Here's the same time with the latest release:

LU1a2vg.png

I ran a diffcheck and see the changes to m_mieG and _Post_Extinction_Tint - still wondering tho if that was a simple cosmetic tweak on your end or if it was done because of some change to the plugin.

Edited by Drew Kerman

8 minutes ago, N70 said:

Any way to get sunflares to display properly on 6.4x?

Yes. In the sunflare folder find the sun.cfg. There are instructions in the cfg. You will need to change the last value in the flareSettings and in the SpikeSettings. The smaller the value, the bigger the flare.

It looks amazing @blackrack :) Just one note, there seems to be a black 'highlight' that covers anti-aliasing on parts that are in front of the water shader (or below the surface). Is this similar to the highlight that we see on the scatter shader? It appears with all forms of anti-aliasing. As it stands it would prevent me from filming any scenes involving water :L

UmW7zOr.png

All in all though the new effects are fantastic... :)

EDIT: It seems as though there is a slider to change underwater color but it doesn't seem to change anything in game. Is this known info?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

38 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Are you going to make the color of the water configurable?

I didn't play with the values and currently have it removed for better performance but I know I saw some new color values in the water settings

9 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I didn't play with the values and currently have it removed for better performance but I know I saw some new color values in the water settings

Ach aye there are - I installed the test pack and then overwrote the configs with my current ones - that'd explain why it looks bad for me :P Going back and manually changing things now :). Removing that comment from my post too

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

It looks amazing @blackrack :) Just one note, there seems to be a black 'highlight' that covers anti-aliasing on parts that are in front of the water shader (or below the surface). Is this similar to the highlight that we see on the scatter shader? It appears with all forms of anti-aliasing. As it stands it would prevent me from filming any scenes involving water :L

UmW7zOr.png

All in all though the new effects are fantastic... :)

EDIT: It seems as though there is a slider to change underwater color but it doesn't seem to change anything in game. Is this known info?

Yes, same reason. You could try removing AA and downsampling instead but I haven't tried that in KSP in a while. I should probably make the depth-based transparency togglable for this reason.

7 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I think I just noticed this last night. Great!

they are not visible. Should the 2D clouds at least be visible when looking straight up?

so many thanks! I set it to 0.1 and can see all around my IVAs without any nasty clipping and I don't notice any ground/water clipping effects either when outside of IVA

Looks great! Performance is still real good.

The atmosphere is different though. Did you tweak the configs for Kerbin or is there something more fundamental with this new version? Here's the same time with the latest release:

I ran a diffcheck and see the changes to m_mieG and _Post_Extinction_Tint - still wondering tho if that was a simple cosmetic tweak on your end or if it was done because of some change to the plugin.

No they're not supposed to be visible, all good.

I did a small cosmetic tweak on the extinction tint but don't remember consciously changing mieG, thanks for testing.

Just now, Galileo said:

SVE Isn't developed to work with EVE integration because currently it doesn't work with colored cloud textures. I have implemented code to disable the eve integration in SVE

ok :(

Hm, a general complaint (Or bug?) I have... It seems as though the stock atmospheric effects haven't been disabled though I have Scatterer installed:

SEKZPCX.png

Running Kopernicus, EVE, and your Scatterer WIP release. I don't know if this is intended or if it's a bug? I also don't know if this is a concern at the moment :P You're pretty busy with oceans at the moment and I'd hate to deter from that.

Hi Blackrack!

I put your experimental version in. I'm using SVE and SVT. When I go look at the sun in the tracking station, here's what I get:

2W474t7.png

It looks like this in the sky as well.

I updated to the very latest version of SVE at the same time I put the experimental version of scatterer in, so @Galileo may be interested in this.

If there's anything you need, please let me know.

Cheers!

56 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Hi Blackrack!

I put your experimental version in. I'm using SVE and SVT. When I go look at the sun in the tracking station, here's what I get:

2W474t7.png

I updated to the very latest version of SVE at the same time I put the experimental version of scatterer in, so @Galileo may be interested in this.

Cheers!

Well, there are obvious changes in the WIP scatterer version. I haven't messed with it yet and probably won't until some other fixes are implemented, so unfortunately, I can't help here. I recommend not trying to play seriously with the experimental version, but if your intention was bug hunting, then keep up the good work! :D

7 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm, a general complaint (Or bug?) I have... It seems as though the stock atmospheric effects haven't been disabled though I have Scatterer installed:

Running Kopernicus, EVE, and your Scatterer WIP release. I don't know if this is intended or if it's a bug? I also don't know if this is a concern at the moment :P You're pretty busy with oceans at the moment and I'd hate to deter from that.

Is the stock atmo visible in this screenshot? I can't really tell.

In any case I'm pretty much done with what I wanted to add to the ocean and I'm going to dedicate some time to fix bugs and refactor the code.

Btw the ocean shader is at the limit of what I can fit in a dx9 shader atm. It might be difficult in the future to make it work with planetshine without breaking refractions.

7 hours ago, stratvox said:

Hi Blackrack!

Cheers!

I will probably get back to you when I get around to bug fixing.

Praise the surf!

It's beautiful. Kudos. Really makes the water much more realistic. You say you are reaching the limit of what's possible so does that mean shadows on the water are not possible? This may have been covered in the past and I forgot about it. I've noticed a few oddities, some of which have been mentioned but one in particular relates to another mod (Distant Object Enhancement) so it might need to be changed there and honestly, it's a really minor problem.

25 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

Praise the surf!

It's beautiful. Kudos. Really makes the water much more realistic. You say you are reaching the limit of what's possible so does that mean shadows on the water are not possible? This may have been covered in the past and I forgot about it. I've noticed a few oddities, some of which have been mentioned but one in particular relates to another mod (Distant Object Enhancement) so it might need to be changed there and honestly, it's a really minor problem.

Well, in dx9, but there might still be tricks. Anyway, shadows should be possible technically but unity doesn't like the projected grid and it makes the shadows flicker on all the other objects when I enable them on the ocean. Not sure why atm.

Image of Titan in front of Saturn for some concept on atmospheres in front of other atmospheres:

v2-RTR3795S.jpg

Saw this picture and was instantly reminded of Scatterer :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe