[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

24 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I would just disable the ocean shader, once that's done, you can run the mod on anything that already runs KSP.

Also, depending on your specs, forcing the game to run in directx 11 might give you a performance boost. Which GPU and CPU do you have?

Thanks! I'll try that. I do use the dx11 switch; seems to lessen the memory impact, as advertised. I have (get ready :D) an AMD Athlon II X2 250 @ 3 GHz and an AMD Radeon HD 5570 with 1 GB video memory; running KSP @ 1600 by 900 rez.

Are the steps to modify scatterer to function with RSS in 1.2 the same as they were in older versions? I seem to be having problems getting atmospheres to show up on the RSS bodies using the same process described on the OP.

Scatterer seems to act on the particles produced by SmokeScreen (under RealPlume), which possibly isn't intended (it certainly makes them look super-bright/blobby if your point of view places them above the atmosphere, especially transecting the horizon)

Is there a way to get Scatterer to not effect the thrust/exhaust particles, would SmokeScreen need to generate those particles on another layer for this?

I disabled the ocean shader as blackrack suggested; the performance is quite acceptable (if it lags too bad during a critical time, I just look up :) life is full of compromises) and it's still gorgeous, even with low res clouds (from SVE). Thanks very much blackrack.

hm6agT9.png

Q7n74Mw.png

R5hHH7J.png

7 minutes ago, Moggiog said:

Yep that's the one.  If you are using force opengl in your command line,  delete it and try the mod again

Also,  your module manager is not up to date.  It won't make a difference,  I just happened to notice. 

Edited by Galileo

6 hours ago, Galileo said:

@blackrack have you ever thought about adding a subtle,  dynamic depth of field?  Is that even possible?  

Yes, and yes it's possible. I have an approach in mind but I have a few things I want to do before.

Ahh if I could have infinite time...

24 minutes ago, mulfucer said:

How to install only lensflare?

Delete all planet entries in the planetsList file.

6 hours ago, Moggiog said:

I will look at this when I can.

20 hours ago, NoMrBond said:

Scatterer seems to act on the particles produced by SmokeScreen (under RealPlume), which possibly isn't intended (it certainly makes them look super-bright/blobby if your point of view places them above the atmosphere, especially transecting the horizon)

Is there a way to get Scatterer to not effect the thrust/exhaust particles, would SmokeScreen need to generate those particles on another layer for this?

Screens?

23 hours ago, VonFrank said:

Are the steps to modify scatterer to function with RSS in 1.2 the same as they were in older versions? I seem to be having problems getting atmospheres to show up on the RSS bodies using the same process described on the OP.

I frankly don't know, I haven't tried with RSS in ages. Try the Kerbin/Earth aproach otherwise try Earth/Earth.

On 9/26/2016 at 0:51 AM, blackrack said:

I knew about the dark bar for a while but it didn't bother me much, I will fix it soon. Effects aren't supported to work in main menu so ignore it and get in flight.

Sorry for bumping old question, is there any fix for "dark bar" issue? I'm talking about thing like this, when there is transition line clearly visible at some angles:

c2e24eddcc9ad0c5414156d1be83ec88.jpeg

Edited by Mystique

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Screens?

Sorry, I've taken a few shots here (imgur isn't saving the order for some reason, I may just record a video)

imgur.com/a/6mEWA

The plumes seem normal until ~14000m altitude or so and then start getting bright/white/blobby

Perhaps this is when the plume expansion is kicking in

Edited by NoMrBond

6 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

Sorry, I've taken a few shots here

imgur.com/a/6mEWA

The plumes seem normal until ~14000m altitude or so and then start getting bright/white/blobby

Perhaps this is when the plume expansion is kicking in

As far as I can tell that has been the way it has looked since forever.  have you tried it without scatterer? 

I installed KSP on the Win 10 partition (before I used it under MacOS) and I installed the same mods I had before the update.

After some troubleshooting I found that the problem I was experiencing was caused by Scatterer. I removed all the mods and installed them back one at a time, until I found the one that was causing the issue.

Basically, the games loads correctly but when I start a scenario (any kind) data starts to increase in RAM at a rate of 250-300MB per second, until it reaches 32 GB (16GB RAM + 16GB virtual memory). The task manager graph indicates a steady rate throughout.
Upon filling up the memory, KSP crashes because of an access violation error (I guess no more addresses are available).

I can replicate the problem each and every time with scatterer installed (alone, no other mods that use it). If I remove scatterer, the game is perfectly playable.

What can I do? I would like to have those awesome graphics back!

--------------------------

Edit: I seem to have found a possible cause. There was a png file missing in the "config" folder (in the log there is a series of "IsolatedStorageException: Could not find file" errors). Maybe the code could be changed in order to make sure that if a file is not found scatterer doesn't start an endless loop.

Edited by Falco251
Added info