[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

22 hours ago, blackrack said:

@Galileo Just tell me one thing, is it possible to have an EVE cloud layer with volumetrics but no 2d clouds? I assumed only the opposite was possible.

Edited: this is being used for the mun dust isn't it? Let me check if it's actually the culprit.

Just to also confirm, Scatterer with SVE was not working as expected and yes, the EVE configs would fail to load and Scatterer effects would not be applied. This was all due to the Mun/Minmus-dust cloud layers not having the 2Dlayer option toggled, once they were and applied, everything worked as expected.

It seems Scatterer is calling for the 2D layer to apply the effects to and its not there, so everything stumbles and falls over.

EDIT: Even with the 2D layers toggled on and saved for the the Dust layers, upon reload, EVE still does seem to fall over and not load all the configs properly. You can open up the GUI and hit apply to fix however.

Edited by Poodmund

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

Just to also confirm, Scatterer with SVE was not working as expected and yes, the EVE configs would fail to load and Scatterer effects would not be applied. This was all due to the Mun/Minmus-dust cloud layers not having the 2Dlayer option toggled, once they were and applied, everything worked as expected.

It seems Scatterer is calling for the 2D layer to apply the effects to and its not there, so everything stumbles and falls over.

EDIT: Even with the 2D layers toggled on and saved for the the Dust layers, upon reload, EVE still does seem to fall over and not load all the configs properly. You can open up the GUI and hit apply to fix however.

Yeah, I will have a fixed version up soon.

However on my side, even after enabling the 2d layers, I had other problems with SVE:

YrXohvJ.jpg

This is from yesterday, I will test more soon.

Also, unrelated, but at one point with stock EVE and some overdone settings I felt like I was flying through a nebula:

v4af1tf.jpg

I Guess this could look really good on Eve or Jool.

Edited by blackrack

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Yeah, I will have a fixed version up soon.

However on my side, even after enabling the 2d layers, I had other problems with SVE:

YrXohvJ.jpg

Same for me, but see what hapen when you open EVE menu, in CloudsManager and just click to Apply.
I get this:A710235CA34854EDB1CC4AE86642A72066524334

2 hours ago, Proot said:

I've tried to create my own config files under the MM rules, but while the configurations seem to be recognized, it didn't do any difference.
What I'm doing wrong?

It seems there is an issue with trying to edit the celestial body items in the 'Scatterer_atmosphere' node via an MM config. For example:

@Scatterer:AFTER[Scatterer]

!Scatterer_atmosphere
	{
	}

Works as expected and deletes all body configs (removes all Scatterer effects), however, this:

@Scatterer:AFTER[Scatterer]

@Scatterer_atmosphere
	{
		!Kerbin
	}

Does not seem to work; Kerbin's scatterer effect remains and is not deleted. So it seems that config nodes for new bodies can be created, i.e. my Moho example previously, but existing body nodes cannot be interacted with. Something fishy is going on.

On 06/11/2016 at 11:52 AM, blackrack said:

Here we go

eJ7EOQd.jpg

qHqEWFc.jpg

lewDPM2.jpg

3fqSSqg.jpg

kvwskRN.jpg

3ukgYEr.jpg

jgu6WXW.jpg

Can't figure out how to embed an album, but I think you'll all accept this wall of images.

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/YP4e6

Overall i'm not completely satisfied with how the volumetrics look, also the color is still a bit off from that of the 2d clouds, but I think this is going in the right direction.

I have no words... except absolutely fantastic.

1 minute ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Weird, I got it and the clouds constantly show up black, even in flight. Not only that, but all the atmosphere effects and ocean shaders don't work either. It also lags like hell too, 3fps I'm getting. But, I am using SVE. Is that the issue?

Yep SVE is not compatible currently 

2 hours ago, Vandest said:

Same for me, but see what hapen when you open EVE menu, in CloudsManager and just click to Apply.
I get this:

Hmm can you get the volumetrics working on Kerbin SVE with this? For me they never seem to work.

Also, it looks like you still have the old "draw atmo over clouds" option on.

Edited:

Okay everyone, I fixed the issue with volumetric clouds not mapping correctly and the issue where nothing works if you have a volumetrics-only layer.

However I still get the artifacts shown here with the main SVE cloud texture.

Y'all try this new .dll now and tell me if you get the same issue: https://mega.nz/#!7dQWXbDR!SXLwT1Uru5-NKpniACL7S0XkGyZRHck6VQKYU2TLUMQ

Re-applying a layer from EVE requires to go back to the main menu and then re-enter a scene for the effects to reload, pressing "map eve clouds" in scatterer UI doesn't help, this will be fixed later.

Quick question @Waz: Does pressing the apply button in the UI reload the shaders in the EVE shader dictionary?

Edited by blackrack

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

Quick question @Waz: Does pressing the apply button in the UI reload the shaders in the EVE shader dictionary?

No, but I can see how that would make shader tweaking a lot easier! Feel free to add an Issue to the github so this good idea doesn't get lost.

I can't wait to find some KSP time to check this cloud shading out live. Looks great in pics!

5 hours ago, Waz said:

No, but I can see how that would make shader tweaking a lot easier! Feel free to add an Issue to the github so this good idea doesn't get lost.

I can't wait to find some KSP time to check this cloud shading out live. Looks great in pics!

Hmm, I was under the impression this is happening currently, it's better if it doesn't though :D

Well, I had a bit of time to test the latest version. And seems to work perfectly!
I'm speechless. Now the skies have a coherence that I was missing long time ago...!
Small Issues report:

- From certain distances, the atmospheric scattering overlaps the terrain scatters. See here: http://imgur.com/NkyLXlZ

- The extintion colors overlaps the orbit lines in map view. See here: http://imgur.com/a/SA41H

Oh, and this depends only in you and your plans but... IMHO, the soft sky/orbit shaders are much better and manages the colors in a much more natural way than this old blending mode. This new(old) one is too rough for my taste (too much contrast) and (as you warned us) does planets with more than one cloud layer looks like bleached (despite the tweaks).

Hmmm forum barfed... Replying to above by Lmoy

That seems pretty realistic to me.... Not sure why this is a problem really, unless I'm missing something. But imagine the atmosphere like a fiber optic. It can bend light around a planet slightly, even when the planet is totally blocking out the sun.

Edited by V8jester

15 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Did you manage to figure out the MM config issues?

Finally I do not need none resource to Module Manager!. :D
BTW, @blackrack I've noticed two new minor issues:
- lens flare is deactivated beyond joolean system
- the light/darkness overriding from Scatterer it's overlapping the new "bright auroras at night" feature in the last EVE version.

7 hours ago, V8jester said:

That seems pretty realistic to me.... Not sure why this is a problem really, unless I'm missing something. But imagine the atmosphere like a fiber optic. It can bend light around a planet slightly, even when the planet is totally blocking out the sun.

To an extent, yes. However, at the angle in my screenshot, you shouldn't be able to see Eve illuminated all the way around the dark side of the disc. That would be light bending through the atmosphere over 90 degrees (the sun is off outside the left border of the screenshot, Eve isn't blocking it here), which doesn't happen IRL.

I'm only mentioning it because it doesn't seem to show up in other people's games.

2 hours ago, Lmoy said:

To an extent, yes. However, at the angle in my screenshot, you shouldn't be able to see Eve illuminated all the way around the dark side of the disc. That would be light bending through the atmosphere over 90 degrees (the sun is off outside the left border of the screenshot, Eve isn't blocking it here), which doesn't happen IRL.

I'm only mentioning it because it doesn't seem to show up in other people's games.

Not bending. Scattering.

23 hours ago, Lmoy said:

Regardless of which angle I view a planet from, the atmosphere is always illuminated on the horizon. Even if viewed from directly behind, the planet will appear as a ring of illuminated atmosphere. Any settings I can change to fix this? Here's an image of Eve for an example.

http://imgur.com/a/F8xxX

that looks normal.. What you are showing in that screenshot is the light correctly scattering near the horizon on a planet with an atmosphere. Your vessel is far enough behind the planet that you indeed would see the sliver of light on the right side of the planet. Being directly behind the planet that has an atmosphere would have this effect as well. Position your vessel to be more lined up with the terminator and you will not have that sliver of light any longer.

Here is a picture of Titan taken by the Cassini Orbiter. 
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA17180

and another
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA14613

Edited by Galileo

On ‎10‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 4:01 AM, Lmoy said:

Regardless of which angle I view a planet from, the atmosphere is always illuminated on the horizon. Even if viewed from directly behind, the planet will appear as a ring of illuminated atmosphere. Any settings I can change to fix this? Here's an image of Eve for an example.

if you are wondering why nobody has answered you yet.

that is normal.   you have that exact same effect in real life.  

On 6-11-2016 at 0:52 PM, blackrack said:

Here we go

eJ7EOQd.jpg

qHqEWFc.jpg

lewDPM2.jpg

3fqSSqg.jpg

kvwskRN.jpg

3ukgYEr.jpg

jgu6WXW.jpg

Can't figure out how to embed an album, but I think you'll all accept this wall of images.

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/YP4e6

Overall i'm not completely satisfied with how the volumetrics look, also the color is still a bit off from that of the 2d clouds, but I think this is going in the right direction.

Holy mother of kod, This.. this is.. perfection :o

21 hours ago, Proot said:

Finally I do not need none resource to Module Manager!. :D
BTW, @blackrack I've noticed two new minor issues:
- lens flare is deactivated beyond joolean system
- the light/darkness overriding from Scatterer it's overlapping the new "bright auroras at night" feature in the last EVE version.

I will check these when I can.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:01 AM, Lmoy said:

This normal, atmosphere is bigger than the planet, it is lit on the edge, it is transparent, and it scatters, this is the way it should be.

On 09/11/2016 at 10:27 PM, Proot said:

Well, I had a bit of time to test the latest version. And seems to work perfectly!
I'm speechless. Now the skies have a coherence that I was missing long time ago...!
Small Issues report:

- From certain distances, the atmospheric scattering overlaps the terrain scatters. See here: http://imgur.com/NkyLXlZ

- The extintion colors overlaps the orbit lines in map view. See here: http://imgur.com/a/SA41H

Oh, and this depends only in you and your plans but... IMHO, the soft sky/orbit shaders are much better and manages the colors in a much more natural way than this old blending mode. This new(old) one is too rough for my taste (too much contrast) and (as you warned us) does planets with more than one cloud layer looks like bleached (despite the tweaks).

I will check these also.