[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 7:34 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Picture of gamedata and log please

Already made a post about it

Interesting note: CKAN labels scatterer as "conflicts with itself", so that's probably important too.

Edited by TheKSPBeginner

So I have the following problem.

If is zoom out with my camera my entire ship will be somehow shadowed, which is pretty annoying.

Any solutions for that?

Spoiler

20210809224131-1.jpg

Everything is fine. But when I zoom out:

20210809224140-1.jpg

The entire craft is shadowed.

20210809224145-1.jpg

If I am still close enough to my craft and I angle the camera only the more distant parts get the shadow stuff.

Is it possible to slightly dial back the white haze? I like the effect of the mod, but it always looks like there is a slight fog on Kerbin. Is there a setting that can be adjusted to slightly reduce this effect? Running stock 1.11.2.

Thank you.

On 8/7/2021 at 3:21 AM, TheKSPBeginner said:

Interesting note: CKAN labels scatterer as "conflicts with itself", so that's probably important too.

No, that's intended and fine. Definitely not the cause for your issues or those log lines.
You might have a second, manually installed Scatterer somewhere hidden in your GameData.

Hi, I have encountered with some problems with Scatterer and GPP.
All works pretty good at the KSC, planets surface and tracking station, but from orbit it looks like the planet have no atmosphere.
Also, ocean is not visible, but I can fix this by disabling ocean shaders in scatterer settings.

I play with GPP v.1.6.5.0 at KSP v.1.12.2;  Scatterer version is 0.055

Here is screenshot of my GameData folder:
Game-Data-Screenshot.png

Some screenshots from the game:

Spoiler

Flight.png

KSC.png

Tracking-Station.png

Log is here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15ziN6vzz75-AnUrhQtKvpUJMwZpD3wP9?usp=sharing

Edited by JohnMillimetron
Uploaded Player.log instead of KSP.log

On 2/22/2021 at 8:14 PM, Kwebib said:

@blackrack@RyanRisingOkay, I have some logs and some screenshots.

KSP Version 1.10.1

JNSQ 0.9.0

Kopernicus Stable R34

EVE Redux 1.11.2.1

Scatterer 0.0632 and 0.0723

Logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ip76-oC5F8OMPgjO4L-PZxuBlcJOyrdP?usp=sharing

Dusk, Scatterer 0.0632:

Hide contents

piva1ij.png

Dusk, Scatterer 0.0723:

Reveal hidden contents

deBwvNw.png

Mid-day, Scatterer 0.0632:

Reveal hidden contents

OdY9p43.png

Mid-day, Scatterer 0.0723:

Reveal hidden contents

uqHXxFM.png

You can see it's just a color issue, and may just need updated configs.

I actually prefer the mid-day color of 0.0723. But the sunrise and sunset do look much better in 0.0632.

I had the same problem with the same mods, Plus most of Near Future technology mods installed. Tried with all of most recent mods and scatter didn't work, defaulted to intergraded graphics. Changing graphic settings did nothing. Tried a totally new install and it didn't work either. However Reverting to 0.0632 scatterer fixed the problem. This isn't a bug report either, just a observation

On 8/11/2021 at 9:40 AM, DasSkelett said:

No, that's intended and fine. Definitely not the cause for your issues or those log lines.
You might have a second, manually installed Scatterer somewhere hidden in your GameData.

The filename the log is complaining about does not exist. It's not even on the same drive.

Edited by TheKSPBeginner
KSP is on D: , "duplicate instance" is supposedly on C:

On 8/15/2021 at 2:41 PM, Dfthu said:

I had the same problem with the same mods, Plus most of Near Future technology mods installed. Tried with all of most recent mods and scatter didn't work, defaulted to intergraded graphics. Changing graphic settings did nothing. Tried a totally new install and it didn't work either. However Reverting to 0.0632 scatterer fixed the problem. This isn't a bug report either, just a observation

This is caused by the JNSQ configurations. It can be addressed by setting the extinctionThickness parameter in each planet's atmo.cfg to something other than 0.

Im not sure where to ask to solve this, but I figure id start here. I have this issue of a circular shadow cast onto the surface of so far the Mun. It grows and shrinks based on zoom. Not been elsewhere to see if its a non-atmospheric thing. I believe it is related to the "Celestial Bodies Cast Self Shadows" option in settings. I would prefer to leave it on as it does look better especially with parallax. Speaking of which im using the full suite of visual mods except for TUFX. I was wondering if maybe an Astronomer Visual Pack issue so if need be ill ask there. Or even Parallax? Not sure where to start.

Edit: It does indeed go away with Celestial Bodies Cast Self Shadows disabled.

Edited by Motokid600

I get a big black shadow in the opposite side of the sky just before sunrise or immediately after sunset. It seems to be coming from the "Long Distance Terrain Shadows" feature, because it disappears when I turn it off. I know that Kerbin/Earth itself is supposed to cast a shadow at sunrise and sunset, but the shape, position and color here seems completely off, especially ay 14 km altitude. Is there any way to fix/reduce this? The below screenshot is taken right after sunset and the shadow is in the East. Link on Github

wX3nZxj.png

Edited by VincentThacker

2 hours ago, VincentThacker said:

I get a big black shadow in the opposite side of the sky just before sunrise or immediately after sunset. It seems to be coming from the "Long Distance Terrain Shadows" feature, because it disappears when I turn it off. I know that Kerbin/Earth itself is supposed to cast a shadow at sunrise and sunset, but the shape, position and color here seems completely off, especially ay 14 km altitude. Is there any way to fix/reduce this? The below screenshot is taken right after sunset and the shadow is in the East. Link on Github

wX3nZxj.png

Are you using jnsq? I think you mean your missing extinctionthickness in jnsq>configs>scatterer>planets>kerbin and set it to something like 1 or higher for each altitude setting 

23 minutes ago, Kerdel said:

ah oke can you give a before and after picture maybe?

I checked; the extinctionthickness values are all already set to 1, as they are in the stock scatterer config. It's not caused by EVE because the issue still persists even if EVE is not installed.

Edited by VincentThacker

Test version for the multi-sun support:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FH5K58y2yZxXyUeZStgrOL3e1Geu9sxN/view

Full changelog:

- Support for light from secondary suns, secondary suns don't cast shadows, eclipses, godrays, cloud shadows, caustics/lightrays but can now light up the atmosphere and clouds
- New "cloudIntegrationUsesScattererSunColors" parameter in planetsList: When set to false, will use the real sun colors for clouds (for main sun and secondary suns), when true will use scatterer's sun colors, defaults to false. Tested with prometheuse and it seems to get the clouds to look like your first image from above. Backside seems a bit too lit from the blue star though so perhaps check the intensity configured in the secondary suns.
- New "sunsUseIntensityCurves" parameter in planetsList: When set to true, both main sun and secondary suns will use the intensity from the star's intensity curve. Defaults to false for retro-compatibility.
- Make scaledSpace eclipses apply only to the main light, additional lights/suns can light up the eclipsed area
- Fix eclipses applying to the dark side
- Handle light extinctions for secondary suns in local space
- Fix SMAA blurring text and other cockpit elements in IVA (most noticeable with ASET and rasterpropmonitor)

Syntax:

Scatterer_planetsList
{        
    scattererCelestialBodies
    {
        Item
        {
            celestialBodyName = whichever
            secondarySuns
            {
                Item
                {
                    celestialBodyName = nameOfYourSecondarySun
                    sunColor = 1,0.7,0.35 (replace with your color obviously)
                }
            }
    }
}

Some cool pics:

d151BJz.jpg

WE86cFf.png

9BW9p9t.png

Dul4qTh.png

10 hours ago, VincentThacker said:

Check my answer on github

How do you actually save your settings in Alt-f10?  Each time I change scenes the settings reset and in the ".cfg file used" it says "ModuleManager Patch Detected, saving disabled"  I've tried manually editing every .cfg file If found that has the settings in it but it still resets.  I'm using EVE, SVE, and Planet Shine as well

Edited by RyumaruBorike
Mod list

Hi, I posted about this issue on Github but I figured I could bring it up here as well in case anyone else is having the same issue.

I've been encountering an issue where flags with a .png that has blank space becomes translucent or disappears completely over oceans and faraway terrain features. This happens on completely Stock + DLC games with no other mods other than Scatterer. 

Hopefully this GIF shows it:

129472950-0cf63b7a-ea6c-427d-afa6-66f82b

This is with the default Integral flag .png, with no other mods installed. This wasn't an issue for me in previous issues, it started for me with 1.12.2. 

I put the rest of the details and my log files in the Github post here: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/135 

Thanks for your work on this phenomenal mod. Let me know if you need any further details. 

- Fixed a few issues with stuck images on-screen, in some cases during re-entry or when cheating a craft to another planet
- Fixed incompatibility with TUFX ambient occlusion

Thanks for the update! These two fixes made my day. Good work!

Bug Report

KSP: 1.12.2 x64 Windows

Problem:

• Using PostSpawnOrbit on Kerbin can make the clouds of other planets black in map view.
  • In tracking station the clouds look normal.
  • Scatter 0.0772 won't cause this problem.

Mods installed:

• Scatterer - Test version for the multi-sun support
  • EVE-Redux - newest version
  • Kopernicus Stable branch - release 59
  • AVP - newest version
  • My own test cfg for kopernicus

Screenshot:

ReQChGX.png

Reproduction steps:

Log:

On 8/29/2021 at 8:07 AM, Jason Kerman said:

Bug Report

KSP: 1.12.2 x64 Windows

Problem:

• Using PostSpawnOrbit on Kerbin can make the clouds of other planets black in map view.
  • In tracking station the clouds look normal.
  • Scatter 0.0772 won't cause this problem.

Mods installed:

• Scatterer - Test version for the multi-sun support
  • EVE-Redux - newest version
  • Kopernicus Stable branch - release 59
  • AVP - newest version
  • My own test cfg for kopernicus

Screenshot:

Reproduction steps:

Log:

Check if this fixes it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/153_q_jzNkWMjmgbDgNGXbRvOoJQfqptr/view?usp=sharing

On 8/27/2021 at 10:07 AM, Columbia said:

Hi, I posted about this issue on Github but I figured I could bring it up here as well in case anyone else is having the same issue.

I've been encountering an issue where flags with a .png that has blank space becomes translucent or disappears completely over oceans and faraway terrain features. This happens on completely Stock + DLC games with no other mods other than Scatterer. 

Hopefully this GIF shows it:

This is with the default Integral flag .png, with no other mods installed. This wasn't an issue for me in previous issues, it started for me with 1.12.2. 

I put the rest of the details and my log files in the Github post here: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/135 

Thanks for your work on this phenomenal mod. Let me know if you need any further details.

I suspect this should be easy to fix but I may be wrong. Wait until I get a chance to look at i.

On 8/25/2021 at 1:22 AM, RyumaruBorike said:

How do you actually save your settings in Alt-f10?  Each time I change scenes the settings reset and in the ".cfg file used" it says "ModuleManager Patch Detected, saving disabled"  I've tried manually editing every .cfg file If found that has the settings in it but it still resets.  I'm using EVE, SVE, and Planet Shine as well

If you have mods overriding the config via MM patches, then saving to file is disabled because it will override the original files with the contents of the MM patch, which is agains the whole point of using patches. You need to find the patches overriding the config in the SVE (probably) folder.