[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

unfortunately scatterer doesent seem to commit changes between session changes and resets to defaults (unless im missing a setitng, I am kinda dumb) so I lost the exact settings in that shot, but i did get smart and start keeping them after.

I actually think this is a better config, just install EVE and Scatterer, use the settings in the ground shot for a nice balance of cloud cover and haze.

http://imgur.com/a/ygLmj

e. I also killed city lights for those shots because the fighting was killing me slowly

Now that you mention it, I'm realizing that my settings never carry over to new sessions. Anyway, your shots are gorgeous. I'm also running Scatter and EVE with pretty incredible results. I can't wait to see how this mod evolves.

unfortunately scatterer doesent seem to commit changes between session changes and resets to defaults (unless im missing a setitng, I am kinda dumb) so I lost the exact settings in that shot, but i did get smart and start keeping them after.
Now that you mention it, I'm realizing that my settings never carry over to new sessions. Anyway, your shots are gorgeous. I'm also running Scatter and EVE with pretty incredible results. I can't wait to see how this mod evolves.

I honestly haven't realized people would be playing with scatterer enabled for long sessions of time in it's current state so I haven't bothered making it remember settings. I guess if people are willing to play with it with lots of things missing/incomplete I could add saving settings and multiple planets support before getting back to work on more time-consuming stuff like oceans and EVE-compatibility (which I assume is going to be time-consuming).

working on getting haze where I want it, looks pretty nice right now but I feel like I need to find some settings that show off the outlines of the continents a bit clearer and allow the clouds to be a bit brighter white. Great mod, instantly top tier on the install list.

http://i.imgur.com/hNLQbEyl.jpg

I didn't get the ocean working correctly yet, but I had a great idea yesterday: The postprocessing shader right now treats both land and water in the same way, resulting in them looking pretty similar from orbit. The idea I had was to treat the water differently based on pure height, and use the reflections from the water shader whenever postprocessing is applied to water. Maybe even add different depth and transparency settings for the water and land.

This should result in the water and the continents looking different, basically it should look a bit like this

QQAxN.jpg

With the sun's reflection appearing on the water and the colors being a bit different, this should improve the view from orbit quite a bit and it should also be easy to implement.

Thought I'd share a triple monitor shot with Scatterer

http://i.imgur.com/KVWNIoP.png

Gorgeous.

Edited: I tried the mod on 1.0 today and it was working perfectly. i didn't get the "everything cuts to black at 30 kms up" bug.

Edited by blackrack

I honestly haven't realized people would be playing with scatterer enabled for long sessions of time in it's current state so I haven't bothered making it remember settings. I guess if people are willing to play with it with lots of things missing/incomplete I could add saving settings and multiple planets support before getting back to work on more time-consuming stuff like oceans and EVE-compatibility (which I assume is going to be time-consuming).

I didn't get the ocean working correctly yet, but I had a great idea yesterday: The postprocessing shader right now treats both land and water in the same way, resulting in them looking pretty similar from orbit. The idea I had was to treat the water differently based on pure height, and use the reflections from the water shader whenever postprocessing is applied to water. Maybe even add different depth and transparency settings for the water and land.

This should result in the water and the continents looking different, basically it should look a bit like this

http://i.imgur.com/QQAxN.jpg

With the sun's reflection appearing on the water and the colors being a bit different, this should improve the view from orbit quite a bit and it should also be easy to implement.

Gorgeous.

Make multiple planets work! I want haze and scattering on Eve and Kerbin, in addition to Laythe, Duna, and Jool!

I'm going to vote for multi planet support. What you have so far is beautiful. While I would love better performance, and integration, I still haven't started my career yet, and as a result have just been doing atmospheric flight on kerbin. I'd love to hyper edit a stock jet to laythe just for fun!

I'm going to vote for multi planet support. What you have so far is beautiful. While I would love better performance, and integration, I still haven't started my career yet, and as a result have just been doing atmospheric flight on kerbin. I'd love to hyper edit a stock jet to laythe just for fun!

I'm definitely adding support for multiple planets and saving settings next.

Edited: Oh and, are you getting performance issues with scatterer?

get mail from kerbalstuff and downloading 1.0.

appreciate!

Keep in mind I haven't updated the mod, just flagged the current version as compatible with 1.0 as I've tested for about a half-hour with 1.0 and it works the same.

Edited: Experimenting with different sunglare shapes can give interesting results.

vtpbIF9.jpg

I guess in the future I could use different sunglares for when the sun is rising or setting.

Edited by blackrack

The only issues I've seen so far are a slight reduction in frame rate, and the game hangs for a second when I alt-tab in and out with the screen all biege with partial kerbin......

I was more referring to any increases in performance the mod will receive over it's life cycle. I'm playing on an nVidia 750M with 2gb VRAM, so every bit counts.

Hey there, So here is my experience with the latest version.

Loading-

D29D65767290F1A4164D80E8BA2F04A9AF57F79B

KSC-

215D334756624342E51B2300EA6F40ABE2CDD31F

Launch-

456F9C839CED9FF7B06CA1EBDF28C3E0BED5426C

Atmosphere breaks at unknown altitude-

1576E2A4ECA70CF7532FFF2AD097462934DC2AE8

Seen from a bit higher in space-

EB9AF4041027D969151EDDD526A1484231C18B64

As seen from orbit.

51AC8D826F44C4667710A33B79D6DE024C5FA5F2

Note: I have a few mods installed could it be cause by any?

Ram usage seems very bad for me, I had to uninstall cause it made KSP almost hit 32 bit ram limit...2.08Gb on start, 2.6Gb! at KCS, after a few launches ram was creeping to 3.1Gb.

Without the mod I remained on 2.17Gb on KCS.

Could there be a leak?

Same thing, 1.0 no ATM installed, downloaded from kerbalstuff.

I did notice that the dense lines seem to disappear when I went from full screen to windowed.

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to get the dense stripe effect in windowed mode as well as the pink boxes on the instruments which I never saw before. I'll see about reproducing those steps after I get home from work.

Edited by BFGfreak

I'm definitely adding support for multiple planets and saving settings next.

Edited: Oh and, are you getting performance issues with scatterer?

Keep in mind I haven't updated the mod, just flagged the current version as compatible with 1.0 as I've tested for about a half-hour with 1.0 and it works the same.

Edited: Experimenting with different sunglare shapes can give interesting results.

http://i.imgur.com/vtpbIF9.jpg

I guess in the future I could use different sunglares for when the sun is rising or setting.

Whoa, that sun is breathtaking!

The screenshots posted above are the same as my experience. Again, no ATM installed. (Also, can't we request integration with Blizzy's Toolbar? Apologies if already mentioned.) Though can see tremendous potential in the mod. Some spellbinding effects possible.

Ram usage seems very bad for me, I had to uninstall cause it made KSP almost hit 32 bit ram limit...2.08Gb on start, 2.6Gb! at KCS, after a few launches ram was creeping to 3.1Gb.

Without the mod I remained on 2.17Gb on KCS.

Could there be a leak?

I can confirm that this does have a noticeable impact on memory, but I can say that I have a handful of mods and when I start the game am sitting at 2.9 to 3.1 Gb. I can play for quiet a while as the 1.0 memory handling is very different than in previous versions. I am able to move from scene to scene and watch the games memory move up and down. But truth be told as this games vanilla size continues to scale up the need for a functioning 64x version becomes all the more important with respect to players who wish to play heavily modded versions. The other option at present is to run a separate Linux partition, something I am leaning toward as I love a rich and heavy modded experience :P

I have the same issue; what graphics card do you have? I have Intel HD 4000.

HD 4000 is not a 'graphics card" per say. It's on board graphics fancy processor rendered graphics. A graphics card is a dedicated card separate from the processor which its only role is rendering and in some cases physics calculations (wish KSP used it). And a lot of these mods require a little more juice than a processor can pump out on its own. For instance I run a 4GB GTX 970 and an Intel I7 4790K and 16GB of ram- I can hit 121 FPS on a 100 part ship while running EVE with frame clipping turned off. What can you hit with the HD 4000, just out of curiosity? I don't intend to brag, and I hope you don't take it that way.

HD 4000 is not a 'graphics card" per say. It's on board graphics fancy processor rendered graphics. A graphics card is a dedicated card separate from the processor which its only role is rendering and in some cases physics calculations (wish KSP used it). And a lot of these mods require a little more juice than a processor can pump out on its own. For instance I run a 4GB GTX 970 and an Intel I7 4790K and 16GB of ram- I can hit 121 FPS on a 100 part ship while running EVE with frame clipping turned off. What can you hit with the HD 4000, just out of curiosity? I don't intend to brag, and I hope you don't take it that way.

You get such high FPS in OpenGL mode? Share your secrets! Even in editor with no ship loaded my fps sometimes drops to 35-45 when I move the camera around and I have machine with more or less the same specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Scatterer : KSPRC :: Chocolate : Peanut butter

http://i.imgur.com/aw53Hcs.jpg

oO this is amazing

I get around 30-40fps in VAB and around 15-30 in flight, depending on conditions. With a single-part ship in orbit with stock, I can get about 35fps or so. Launch framerate is much worse, though, because of the particles and the KSC; plus, there's usually dozens of parts during launch so KSP is CPU limited there.

Edit: I probably should have said GPU.

Edited by zlsa

I really love the atmospheric scatter. I hope you'll be able to flesh it out more for compatibility and add Laythe, Eve and an extra dense scatter for Jool (To hide the big green bouncy ball that is the planet model.)