[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I could not resist, and installed 1.0 KSP today at last (some entertainment is needed sometimes, isnt it? :)). Ofc, the first thing I did was to test this fantastic mod! Quickly stitched together a few aerodynamic parts, and set sail into the sunset! :D

http://imgur.com/a/zLQ6m#0

Extremely nice, and promising! Thank you for your time and work, blackrack! :)

EDIT: The install is totally free of graphical mods, KSP is run with all graphical settings at max, changed nothing else (not opengl mode, changed nothing in the nvidia control panel). I have ATM.

EDIT2: Added some description to the images.

EDIT3: Wouldn't it be technically more feasible to just draw 1-2 layers of blue spheres around Kerbin, like other atmo mods do? Like, one to represent the lower, and one to represent the higher atmosphere. When the camera passes a certain height (be4 the Moire patterns start to kick in), the scatterer effect could fade out, while the blue sphere(s) simultaneously fade in. That way, theres no need to fight with the depth buffer, or anything else, and Moire patterns could be eliminated. Just an idea, I'm not familiar with the toolset Unity provides at all.

- - - Updated - -

Edited by Darkway

I keep getting black lines/circles. Any idea how to stop that? Im running in openGL to save on ram.

/

Dark lines can be easily removed by setting "Render quality" in the grapihics settings to "Fastest" in OpenGL mode. Moire effects, and other gliches are common under all modes now, given the mod is in an experimental stage.

Edited by Darkway

Oh wow, removing this frees up 800mb of ram on my system. As good as it looks, it doesn`t look 800mb good.

Yeah I also experience a huge memory spike and it seems to cause a memory leak (or at the very least exacerbates one of the smaller, existing ones.)

I can confirm a comparability issue with PlanetShine. :L

What's the issue exactly? With Direct3D 9, Direct3D 11, or OpenGL? What is your OS and what are your KSP visual settings? Can you post screenshots?

What's the issue exactly? With Direct3D 9, Direct3D 11, or OpenGL? What is your OS and what are your KSP visual settings? Can you post screenshots?

Oh haha! I misspelled compatibility. I'll post pictures when I next can. I'm away from my PC currently. The issue is that whenever you load up a save game, the KSC main screen starts zoomed in on the SPH and no buildings can be clicked on. I was running with -force-OpenGL so that may have been an issue. I haven't tested plain. I'm running full resolution on Windows 8.1. I'll post pictures when I next can.

http://i.imgur.com/sPkqPMy.jpg

This wasn't supposed to happen (not supposed to be an eclipse) but it looked neat.

Anybody know how to grab the sunCorona object?

I may havw missed this earlier on the thread, but how did you get the clouds? Are they from EVE? If so how do you get them to show when looking upwards. For me I can only see them and smoke when the ground is behind it.

I may havw missed this earlier on the thread, but how did you get the clouds? Are they from EVE? If so how do you get them to show when looking upwards. For me I can only see them and smoke when the ground is behind it.

Yes they're from EVE, they now show up in the sky. I haven't released it yet because it brought some other issues with the sun. I've also trimmed the memory usage from 800mb to about 200-400, there still seems to be a small memory leak somewhere though.

Oh haha! I misspelled compatibility. I'll post pictures when I next can. I'm away from my PC currently. The issue is that whenever you load up a save game, the KSC main screen starts zoomed in on the SPH and no buildings can be clicked on. I was running with -force-OpenGL so that may have been an issue. I haven't tested plain. I'm running full resolution on Windows 8.1. I'll post pictures when I next can.

I never had this issue, I'm playing the same as you but without opengl.

I have no idea how that can even be related with PlanetShine!

The bug where KSC starts at a weird angle and you can't click anything happens to me randomly, like once out of 20 bootups, with scatterer.

The bug where KSC starts at a weird angle and you can't click anything happens to me randomly, like once out of 20 bootups, with scatterer.

With or without PlanetShine? :)

It used to happen to me randomly in 0.25 or 0.90 (not sure)

That is a stock bug, I think. I got it pretty often, since 0.90. With or without mods, but seem to happen often if are mods present.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/sPkqPMy.jpg

This wasn't supposed to happen (not supposed to be an eclipse) but it looked neat.

Anybody know how to grab the sunCorona object?

The stock one? Must be inside the assets, no?. Unity assets explorer. :blush:

EDIT: Blackrack, there is a doubt that I have since some time ago. May I ask for what is used the black texture?

Edited by Proot

maybe try and find the children of the sun object. one of them should be a corona but i have no idea how to differentiate it other then searching for the name (but squad knows that isnt going to be helpful with their labels and weird naming schemes)

Awesome mod but I'm having a few issues

I can't seem to get the alt-f11 settings to stick (just want post processing alpha to be 60 instead of 78) and changing them every time I lauch the game is a bit annoying, is there a file I can edit to have 60 be the default for that setting instead of 78?

Also the clouds mod I have looks like it's being covered up by your effect, at least from below. I can see the clouds from above and from orbit, but from below they're completely invisible except for when backdropped by mountains

I can't seem to get the alt-f11 settings to stick (just want post processing alpha to be 60 instead of 78) and changing them every time I lauch the game is a bit annoying, is there a file I can edit to have 60 be the default for that setting instead of 78?

Also the clouds mod I have looks like it's being covered up by your effect, at least from below. I can see the clouds from above and from orbit, but from below they're completely invisible except for when backdropped by mountains

Both of the "bugs" you mention are caused by the EXPERIMENTAL stage of the mod, and none of them have been implemented yet in the current release (well, I'm sure in the second, the first was a question a while back too, but i dont think its been added).

UPDATE: It appears as though I cannot reproduce the bug. I may have corrupted the save (I've had the same glitch happen after a corrupt save), or if I'm forgetting which KSP directory the glitch happened on, I could have had an incompatibility issue with Hyperedit (Which also glitches the same way), which I know is incompatible. Also, it appears as though added -force-opengl to the back of a KSP.exe shortcut no longer is working for me. It boots up frozen and says it cannot switch resolutions :confused:. Anyhoo, it looks as though PlanetShine is off. It may have been Hyperedit or a save corruption.

EDIT: Blackrack I have a suggestion that might fix the circles and flickering from orbit. If it works. What if you made the scatterer haze fade away as you leave the atmosphere, and at the same time use the new atmosphere coloring from EVE to make it look as though the haze is still present? That might solve issues with scaled space too as EVE is visible in scaled space. Is this possible?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

That is a stock bug, I think. I got it pretty often, since 0.90. With or without mods, but seem to happen often if are mods present.

- - - Updated - - -

The stock one? Must be inside the assets, no?. Unity assets explorer. :blush:

EDIT: Blackrack, there is a doubt that I have since some time ago. May I ask for what is used the black texture?

Yeah but I want to toggle it or fade it in an and out ingame. The black texture is just used for when I disable the sunglare that scatterer uses, I think it's obvious since they have the same dimensions. It was supposed to be just a quick fix.

What do you want to do exactly with the coronas?

Toggle it on/off, I changed a few things to get the clouds to display but now the coronas draw on top of the sky no matter what. Controlling it would also mean I can have eclipses working in scatterer (they don't work right now).

maybe try and find the children of the sun object. one of them should be a corona but i have no idea how to differentiate it other then searching for the name (but squad knows that isnt going to be helpful with their labels and weird naming schemes)

I had the same idea today but have been putting it off because it's tedious.

I haven't added persistent settings yet, I'm working on the mod at a very reduced pace these days.

UPDATE: It appears as though I cannot reproduce the bug. I may have corrupted the save (I've had the same glitch happen after a corrupt save), or if I'm forgetting which KSP directory the glitch happened on, I could have had an incompatibility issue with Hyperedit (Which also glitches the same way), which I know is incompatible. Also, it appears as though added -force-opengl to the back of a KSP.exe shortcut no longer is working for me. It boots up frozen and says it cannot switch resolutions :confused:. Anyhoo, it looks as though PlanetShine is off. It may have been Hyperedit or a save corruption.

EDIT: Blackrack I have a suggestion that might fix the circles and flickering from orbit. If it works. What if you made the scatterer haze fade away as you leave the atmosphere, and at the same time use the new atmosphere coloring from EVE to make it look as though the haze is still present? That might solve issues with scaled space too as EVE is visible in scaled space. Is this possible?

This is totally possible, but I never really fiddled with EVE's settings. I guess I could just fade the haze out after a certain altitude. What does EVE's haze look like from orbit anyway?