[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Just now, Monkthespy said:

I thought oceans were based off the PQS system and Jool doesn't have an PQS?

I see what you mean, scatterer can create an ocean regardless of the PQS system ("hasOcean = true" in settings file) but if it doesn't have one in the PQS it'll only be cosmetic.

Just now, Monkthespy said:

Ah, I thought Scatterer just replaced the ocean. It actually just overlays it on top of the ocean, right?

If this is true, then am I correct in thinking there won't be any issues between this and EVE whenever EVE gets its pretty oceans back? Cuz these oceans are prettier, but I love me my clouds. @blackrack??

6 minutes ago, Monkthespy said:

Ah, I thought Scatterer just replaced the ocean. It actually just overlays it on top of the ocean, right?

It disables the stock ocean rendering and adds it's own ocean.

The stock ocean is still generating quads for now because I couldn't find a clean way to disable them from within scatterer, all methods seem to cause serious problems in the PQS system. The quads are hidden though. rbray and some other people suggested a few things I could try but they involve modulemanager or kopernicus and I thought I'd look at them later. For now you could probably squeeze some extra performance if you lower the stock ocean subdivision settings (they're somewhere in the settings file I believe, there are some .cfg files around that do this).

4 minutes ago, gkorgood said:

If this is true, then am I correct in thinking there won't be any issues between this and EVE whenever EVE gets its pretty oceans back? Cuz these oceans are prettier, but I love me my clouds. @blackrack??

Not sure what you mean but you could always disable scatterer's ocean or EVE's.

Edited by blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

It disables the stock ocean rendering and adds it's own ocean.

The stock ocean is still generating quads for now because I couldn't find a clean way to disable them from within scatterer. The quads are hidden though. rbray and some other people suggested a few things I could try but they involve modulemanager or kopernicus and I thought I'd look at them later. For now you could probably squeeze some extra performance if you lower the stock ocean subdivision settings (they're somewhere in the settings file I believe, there are some .cfg files around that do this).

Ok, thanks. That actually makes more sense, lol. I assume this was actually quite a bit of a learning experience and a lot of work just to get this work smoothly.

2 minutes ago, Monkthespy said:

Ok, thanks. That actually makes more sense, lol. I assume this was actually quite a bit of a learning experience and a lot of work just to get this work smoothly.

The whole mod has been one big learning experience for me, and yeah, I've put a lot of work into it, but it was above all very, very rewarding.

Edited by blackrack

6 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Not sure what you mean but you could always disable scatterer's ocean or EVE's.

If/when rBray brings back the nice water from EVE Overhaul into new EVE, will it conflict with your water? If so, how does one disable EVE's water (Your's looks better) If not, YAY :D

Edited by gkorgood

4 minutes ago, gkorgood said:

If/when rBray brings back the nice water from EVE Overhaul into new EVE, will it conflict with your water? If so, how does one disable EVE's water (Your's looks better) If not, YAY :D

I think it's togglable, this one is also togglable. I don't think there will be any conflicts

Edited by blackrack

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

PostProcessing is now working perfectly with the ocean, no longer relying on the depth buffer. This also nullifies the moire patterns, but we already had a fix for these (and we still need it for horizon artifacts).

Beautiful! Glad to see that sphere-intersection code came in handy.

Curious... Do you get a small FPS bump by disabling the stock Ocean? I also think I may have come up with a solution do disable it on the fly as well. I'll test it and let you know.

25 minutes ago, gkorgood said:

This will be an optional thing. I think what I'll do in the future going forward is release packs (lights, clouds, shadows, terrain, oceans, etc.)

16 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Beautiful! Glad to see that sphere-intersection code came in handy.

Curious... Do you get a small FPS bump by disabling the stock Ocean? I also think I may have come up with a solution do disable it on the fly as well. I'll test it and let you know.

This will be an optional thing. I think what I'll do in the future going forward is release packs (lights, clouds, shadows, terrain, oceans, etc.)

Yeah I do, but not really a big one. I used to get a much bigger one when I was disabling it's generation entirely but it caused the PQS system to mess up after a while.

Let me know if it works, the performance boost is actually not negligible at all.

8 minutes ago, Monkthespy said:

Hey blackrack, I thought you were delaying Scatterer updates because that guy needed to finish his finals? :P

We're not doing that anymore, the conditions remaining to be filled are:  8 sea planes, 2 carriers (complete with F-14s) and 2 submarines.

Edited:

5 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Here's the F-14:

Save me from that hideously stock sky and water. :P

Alright, it doesn't look like it has variable wing sweep but I'll let it slide.

Edited by blackrack

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Yeah I do, but not really a big one. I used to get a much bigger one when I was disabling it's generation entirely but it caused the PQS system to mess up after a while.

Let me know if it works, the performance boost is actually not negligible at all.

Will do. I'll also try and think of a way to allow lights to work. Wait... how do projectors work on it? What is the geometry like? If projectors work, lights should as well.

17 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Will do. I'll also try and think of a way to allow lights to work. Wait... how do projectors work on it? What is the geometry like? If projectors work, lights should as well.

Haven't actually tried the lights yet but I will. the trick is, the projectors don't work. Since the stock ocean still generates geometry, I swapped it's shader out for an empty shader, actually just a color shader that the projectors work on.

// Compiled shader for all platforms, uncompressed size: 0.3KB

Shader "Custom/TranspUnlit" {
Properties {
 _Color ("Color & Transparency", Color) = (0,0,0,0)
}
SubShader { 
 Tags { "QUEUE"="Transparent" }
 Pass {
  Tags { "QUEUE"="Transparent" }
  Color [_Color]
  ZWrite off
  Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
 }
}
Fallback "Unlit/Transparent"
}

Then I just moved the ocean's renderqueue to be behind that of the projector. So now it looks like it works, and it mostly holds, only exceptions are when you can see shadows that are projected on terrain behind the curvature of the planet appear on top of the ocean but it doesn't happen all that often.

Not entirely sure why the projectors don't work normally with the ocean shader, maybe I messed something up, but I'll get back to it later on, for now this dirty trick looks fine.

14 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Can we find them on KerbalX and post them?? :huh:

If you do that the release is scrapped.

Edited:

8 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

>Implying I can't into IR.

screenshot100.png

>Greentexting on kspforum

Very nicely done though.

Edited by blackrack

@rbray89 I actually tried the lights and they don't work indeed.

9 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Heh, I knew you would appreciate it, seen some of your posts over there. :)

ETA: One submarine (from 1.0.5 Day 1):

Nice, I wouldn't have took you for the kind of person who goes there.

Btw I actually remember when you posted that submarine.

9 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I hear that you're looking for boat stuff, is there a list of what's not been done yet?

8 sea planes, 2 carriers and 1 submarine.

Just now, blackrack said:

@rbray89 I actually tried the lights and they don't work indeed.

Nice, I wouldn't have took you for the kind of person who goes there.

Btw I actually remember when you posted that submarine.

8 sea planes, 2 carriers and 1 submarine.

How's this looking? (Early prototype) I call the party boat:

WgaG10x.png