[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

7 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Yes im not :wink: My Goal is to create an Elliptical galaxy in KSP with lots of stars, But i need that classic Elliptical glow to do it. So far as i've seen, Your flare system works mostly great but i need to disable a few standard flare functions to make it work.

I see, but in this case the elliptical glow would follow the sun around. In this case I think what you need is a similar system that would allow you to define objects like these and make them have a static direction in space and not be centered around a celestial object.

10 hours ago, Proot said:

I was wondering about the .dds format for the mipmaps (it's good for some effects at far distances), but is not important for me at all... In fact I hate the lossy quality of that format, so don't worry at all about it.

You are probably right about the ghost's resizing, it's probably much better option to do a slow and long fadeout.

Also, I'll check about the jittering issue, because I think you are right. Anyways I see it as a minor issue, so no hurry about it.

As always, many thanks for your attention!

Thanks, I will try to do a intensity fade-out.

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

@blackrack is there a setting which would push the light scattering out to the edges of the atmosphere and leave the central part with very little to none? Like the picture below.

Well the scattering is already more prominent towards the edges, but it doesn't seem realistic to me that you'd see none when looking straight down, and judging by how dark the ocean looks it looks more like that picture is color-corrected to me.

Looking straight down should look more like this:

tranquility-space-station-view-earth_128

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

I see, but in this case the elliptical glow would follow the sun around. In this case I think what you need is a similar system that would allow you to define objects like these and make them have a static direction in space and not be centered around a celestial object.

That would be nice but all i really need to do is use the normal sun, Then change it into a black hole and surround it with stars, Then put all the planets around one of the stars.

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Thanks, I will try to do a intensity fade-out.

Well the scattering is already more prominent towards the edges, but it doesn't seem realistic to me that you'd see none when looking straight down, and judging by how dark the ocean looks it looks more like that picture is color-corrected to me.

Ok, you may be right

6 hours ago, blackrack said:

I've never been to space, but I do know a thing or two about cameras, and that picture has been over-exposed to allow more detail in the dark interior. And on the topic of "too bright"... how can we fix this brightness at the terminator line? This picture is taken due east, in low orbit.

y2QBiqM.jpg?1

1 hour ago, karamazovnew said:

I've never been to space, but I do know a thing or two about cameras, and that picture has been over-exposed to allow more detail in the dark interior. And on the topic of "too bright"... how can we fix this brightness at the terminator line? This picture is taken due east, in low orbit.

Over-exposed or not, it shows extinction and scattering which the other picture doesn't show. Under-exposing or over-exposing the picture won't make these atmosphere effects go away.

Now what is supposed to be wrong with that screenshot?

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Over-exposed or not, it shows extinction and scattering which the other picture doesn't show. Under-exposing or over-exposing the picture won't make these atmosphere effects go away.

Now what is supposed to be wrong with that screenshot?

Well, that's close to the sunset terminator line, I'm not looking at the west rim, but at the east one. The sky should get darker, not brighter. If I look down, the clouds are properly colored. But looking to the east horizon (right of the picture), the sky becomes bright and collides with the black clouds. If I disable PostProcessing, it looks "fine". Both day and night look ok, the problem is only near the terminator, where the shader applies "white" in all direction instead of only towards the sun. 

Edit: Actually scratch that... The shader itself is ok and realistic, the actual problem seems to be that the post processing effect doesn't get added on top of the clouds. Above the last layer all looks amazing (>160km) and if I copy most of the settings from the last layer to the previous 2, it looks quite nice actually.

Edited by karamazovnew

So I have this strange "bug" where the camera seems to act weird when zooming in. When it gets close but not close where you would expect it to clip into the object, it clips. I'm really not sure how to describe this but it's not a big problem, just wanted to let you know. It's mostly visible with EVA kerbals. 

JYNK9KG.png

Hi everyone. I have the problem seen in this picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yoy3xalnowjm7e/Clipboard01.jpg?dl=0

This happens, when I'm in space around Kerbin and in map view of my space craft, and then I go back to the space center via the ESC menu.

If I'm not in map view, and go back to the space center the same way, everything goes back to normal, the issue disappears.

Hi blackrack

So I found the most unusual bug which I doubt that anyone has run into. So using Kopernicus I was playing around with adding Materials to the PQS setup for Kerbin and I noticed your ocean shaders got disabled. Also the low texture I attempted to replace was spawn across the ocean surface. The configuration I placed in the PQS section for Kerbin is:

</CODE>

@PQS

{

minLevel = 2

maxLevel = 14

minDetailDistance = 8

maxQuadLenghtsPerFrame = 0.001

fadeStart = 68000

fadeEnd = 70000

Material

{

steepPower = 3

steepTexStart = 0

steepTexEnd = 500000

steepTex = 10xKerbol/Terrain/rock

//steepBumpMap = BUILTIN/Cliff (Layered Rock)_NRM

steepNearTiling = 400

steepTiling = 500

lowTex = 10xKerbol/Terrain/biosphere

//lowBumpMap = BUILTIN/bouldernormal

lowNearTiling = 7000

lowMultiFactor = 10

lowBumpNearTiling = 9000

lowBumpFarTiling = 300

}

Mods

</CODE>

If you need  copy of my changes I can send them to you.

15 minutes ago, jsimmons said:

Did you ever get those settings?

No I didn't. I presume @Berlin got busy, forgot, couldn't, or decided they no longer wanted to. Whatever the reason, I don't mind. We're all volunteers here after all :) 

Hi, is there an option to disable everything from scatterer except sun flare? Because scatterer with all except sun flare enabled is nearly kiling my old pc. IS there way to bypass it and have only sun flare, which haven't any performance problems(as I can see from my FPS when looking at sun - 50-60 and the atmosphere/sea/clouds 5-10 = unplayable).

Or is there way to have it set up to more performance saving profile?

Or can I use somehow scatterer sun flare by texture replacer? Because I like the idea and features of mod, just can't afford now new pc... :D

Thanks! Ave!

Toonu

Edited by Toonu

27 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

No I didn't. I presume @Berlin got busy, forgot, couldn't, or decided they no longer wanted to. Whatever the reason, I don't mind. We're all volunteers here after all :) 

Okay. Didn't mean to sound pushy. Just shows how inexperience I'm at with working the settings.

On 5/14/2016 at 1:52 PM, genbrien said:

is there a place that described each menu's setting ?

Not at the moment.

23 hours ago, evileye.x said:

Please don't be angry if it was asked for 1000 time ( I think it was, but :) yeah...)

That aliasing on horizon - is it normal for current version of scatterer or it's because I'm still on 1.0.5 ?

Reveal hidden contents

fsSCj0h.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/FHppL

Yes, somewhere after the release of 1.1 the aliasing was highly reduced, might still happen with OpenGL though.

23 hours ago, tygoo7 said:

So I have this strange "bug" where the camera seems to act weird when zooming in. When it gets close but not close where you would expect it to clip into the object, it clips. I'm really not sure how to describe this but it's not a big problem, just wanted to let you know. It's mostly visible with EVA kerbals. 

In the main menu there is a setting called nearClipPlane which does this, the default for KSP is 0.1 or something like that so you could try that, it makes the ocean look really spazzy on the coast though.

12 hours ago, Imasundaj said:

Hi everyone. I have the problem seen in this picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yoy3xalnowjm7e/Clipboard01.jpg?dl=0

This happens, when I'm in space around Kerbin and in map view of my space craft, and then I go back to the space center via the ESC menu.

If I'm not in map view, and go back to the space center the same way, everything goes back to normal, the issue disappears.

It's mentioned in the known issues section in the OP. I still don't get why people make a fuss about this since it only happens in the KSC view and fixes itself everywhere else.

51 minutes ago, jsimmons said:

Hi blackrack

So I found the most unusual bug which I doubt that anyone has run into. So using Kopernicus I was playing around with adding Materials to the PQS setup for Kerbin and I noticed your ocean shaders got disabled. Also the low texture I attempted to replace was spawn across the ocean surface. The configuration I placed in the PQS section for Kerbin is:

Could you post some screenshots of the issue to help me visualize? Also I don't really know what these PQS settings do, it would be helpful if you narrowed it down to the exact settings that caused the issue.

42 minutes ago, Toonu said:

Hi, is there an option to disable everything from scatterer except sun flare? Because scatterer with all except sun flare enabled is nearly kiling my old pc. IS there way to bypass it and have only sun flare, which haven't any performance problems(as I can see from my FPS when looking at sun - 50-60 and the atmosphere/sea/clouds 5-10 = unplayable).

Or is there way to have it set up to more performance saving profile?

Or can I use somehow scatterer sun flare by texture replacer? Because I like the idea and features of mod, just can't afford now new pc... :D

Thanks! Ave!

Toonu

Go in the planetsList.cfg file and delete all planet entries.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Could you post some screenshots of the issue to help me visualize? Also I don't really know what these PQS settings do, it would be helpful if you narrowed it down to the exact settings that caused the issue.

I can do better. Here is a video showing the problem : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8f_OOKzg1cATZxoIRR2BWA

As for the setting and their meaning. I just started playing with those settings and if you look at the video you can tell I got the settings wrong. I did post on the Kopernicus mailing list asking what those fields mean.

Hey Blackrack, been doing some recent testing with the new sunflare features, (thanks for adding additional ghosts!). However I have some requests, one is that there is an option to make the flare clampable in scale, i.e. so it doesn't decrease in size with distance from the sun, probably not that noticeable in stock KSP but in RSS when the flare looks right from Earth it's miniature when viewed from Uranus/Neptune etc. I figured maybe scaling it's brightness could work as an alternative? Just an thought. The other thing was that I found the multiply effect of haze blows the brightness of clouds out really far, on jupiter I had to set the colour values to 1/5th their original value to make it not white, maybe this is simply a consequence of the way scatterer works, which provides lots of other awesome effects but I fear texture quality may be lost with the colours turned down this much. Anyways great work as always thus far, and thanks again for your work!

4 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

I'm so sorry. I am in the national guard and went to drill this weekend and forgot to post my images for you before I left! I can tweak these more if you need me to. HRrhyPU.png

5 hours ago, Berlin said:

I'm so sorry. I am in the national guard and went to drill this weekend and forgot to post my images for you before I left! I can tweak these more if you need me to. HRrhyPU.png

No worries man! I'll take them and keep tweaking them when I find the time :) 

8 hours ago, jsimmons said:

I can do better. Here is a video showing the problem : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8f_OOKzg1cATZxoIRR2BWA

As for the setting and their meaning. I just started playing with those settings and if you look at the video you can tell I got the settings wrong. I did post on the Kopernicus mailing list asking what those fields mean.

Check you don't have globalOceanAlpha set to 0 in the lowest config points.

7 hours ago, pingopete said:

Hey Blackrack, been doing some recent testing with the new sunflare features, (thanks for adding additional ghosts!). However I have some requests, one is that there is an option to make the flare clampable in scale, i.e. so it doesn't decrease in size with distance from the sun, probably not that noticeable in stock KSP but in RSS when the flare looks right from Earth it's miniature when viewed from Uranus/Neptune etc. I figured maybe scaling it's brightness could work as an alternative? Just an thought. The other thing was that I found the multiply effect of haze blows the brightness of clouds out really far, on jupiter I had to set the colour values to 1/5th their original value to make it not white, maybe this is simply a consequence of the way scatterer works, which provides lots of other awesome effects but I fear texture quality may be lost with the colours turned down this much. Anyways great work as always thus far, and thanks again for your work!

I think if the flare were to stay the same size and fade in brightness it would look quite weird. I think a better idea would be to keep the scaling but make it non-linear or change how much it scales by distance to the sun and make the gradient configurable. What do you think?

For the second one, maybe adjust the extinction?

On 5/13/2016 at 8:44 AM, daniel l. said:

That would be nice but all i really need to do is use the normal sun, Then change it into a black hole and surround it with stars, Then put all the planets around one of the stars.

I see what you're trying to make but the sunflare system isn't really appropriate for this, what you need is to render a mesh around the sun in the scaledSpace layer so it looks coherent and gets occluded correctly by objects, while the sunflare system renders on top of everything in the nearest camera.

Scatterer latest version (version 0.0246) tested working fine on DirectX 11 with KSP 1.1.2 x64.

Just some terrain shadow glitches, but I think its from the game since I already tested DirectX 11 before using scatterer. Godrays appears to be somewhat fixed in DirectX 11; sometimes appear, sometimes not. Eclipses are working just fine. Not sure if it will work for KSP x86 since I rarely use it since x64 :D. Ocean reflections are fine, sunflare is fine, and when sunset/sunrise is fine too.

FPS are better in DirectX 11. I should say WAY BETTER.

Normal (DirectX 9) : average of 10 FPS

DirectX 11 : average of 35 FPS

Edited by ammarasyad
adding more info