[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

12 hours ago, sDaZe said:

Funny story.. The city texture included in SSRSS is my home town XD

Looks like SSRSS anyways 

YES it is :) but I tweaked the setting in Scatterer to get the ocean to look like the ocean off the shores of my home town in Newfoundland Canada!

3 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

YES it is :) but I tweaked the setting in Scatterer to get the ocean to look like the ocean off the shores of my home town in Newfoundland Canada!

Damn Canada also?? It may or may not be a Calgary texture :D  

10 hours ago, Fengist said:

Thank you @blackrack.  I'm about to release yet another mod containing submarines and one of the things I was waiting for comments on was the fact that Nathan Kell screwed with the underwater scenery during the 'buoyancy' debacle to the point that after dark, you could see stars through the ocean floor.  Your mod fixed that beautifully. I now know exactly where to direct those that have my same complaint.

One request.  Darkness at depth.  If you're a kilometer below the surface of the ocean, daylight shouldn't be visible.  Prior to the 'buoyancy fix' we had a solution. A large dome shaped object (5km wide) that rode above the vessel and it's transparency and color changed the deeper you went. 

Haven't tried that trick lately so not sure if that would still work.  I'm sure you'd have a much more elegant solution.

It's only accidental if scatterer changes the underwater scenery, it's unintentional.

I have already thought about ways to accomplish a few underwater effects, including a realistic water surface as seen from below, caustics, and underwater light scattering and darkening, but it will be a while before I try any of these.

6 hours ago, sDaZe said:

Damn Canada also?? It may or may not be a Calgary texture :D  

Yeah buddy! I just checked out Calgary Intl Airport satellite view on Google maps... LOL!! that is the texture alright :P

Edited by TheKurgan

What he is talking about is the yellowing on the terminators of Kerbin.  For example:rfBeXAw.png

This is kerbin in my dev version of SVE

Now,  I think this looks amazing,  realistic, and doesn't need to be changed.  But I do remember @blackrack showing some pictures a while back of sunrises on the terminator or something like that and it looked really cool..  I dunno and don't care because I love it as is and ignorance is bliss. So if blackrack doesn't remember and never shows those pics again or has stopped development of that feature then I'm OK with it. 

@sDaZe,  it is something you can get rid of if you don't like it.  You just have to change some values in the Scatterer gui. I'm not gonna be home until Monday night so i cant show you,  or I would. I'm pretty sure though it's the extinctiontint,  and the extinctionmultiplier values you have to change.  Try setting them to 0

Edited by Galileo

10 hours ago, Galileo said:

What he is talking about is the yellowing on the terminators of Kerbin.  For example:rfBeXAw.png

This is kerbin in my dev version of SVE

Now,  I think this looks amazing,  realistic, and doesn't need to be changed.  But I do remember @blackrack showing some pictures a while back of sunrises on the terminator or something like that and it looked really cool..  I dunno and don't care because I love it as is and ignorance is bliss. So if blackrack doesn't remember and never shows those pics again or has stopped development of that feature then I'm OK with it. 

@sDaZe,  it is something you can get rid of if you don't like it.  You just have to change some values in the Scatterer gui. I'm not gonna be home until Monday night so i cant show you,  or I would. I'm pretty sure though it's the extinctiontint,  and the extinctionmultiplier values you have to change.  Try setting them to 0

Ah, you mean this:

It's the result of applying the scattering on the clouds and also applying extinction on the light reaching the clouds from the sun, the way it should be really. Last time it still had some issues, it's on hold at the moment but I will get back to it.

Edited by blackrack

@blackrack Does the "draw on top of eve clouds" option apply to 2D clouds or only to volumetric clouds? Because it doesn't make any difference on my install, for some reason.

Also he probably means clouds getting red during sunset due to scattered sunlight.

Edited by m4ti140

12 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

@blackrack Does the "draw on top of eve clouds" option apply to 2D clouds or only to volumetric clouds? Because it doesn't make any difference on my install, for some reason.

Also he probably means clouds getting red during sunset due to scattered sunlight.

2D clouds, it makes a big difference from orbit and for map view

This probably has already been noted about but it didn't seem to be in the known issues and I couldn't find a post about it.

When orbiting over atmosphere-less bodies, especially smaller bumpy ones like Minmus, I find that the surface looks very different depending on the angle of viewing. When looking more east or north the surface of the moon looks very nice and the shadows seem correct, but as the point of view pans west or south the shadows start to change and become distorted and enlarged. These screenshots were taken in a moded save running KSPRC but I've seen the same thing in a stock save with only scatterer.

Thanks for the amazing mod!

http://imgur.com/a/uCJlj

TDMHXE1esuIZbNXuMQbPh

4 hours ago, BeanTheRocketGuy said:

This probably has already been noted about but it didn't seem to be in the known issues and I couldn't find a post about it.

When orbiting over atmosphere-less bodies, especially smaller bumpy ones like Minmus, I find that the surface looks very different depending on the angle of viewing. When looking more east or north the surface of the moon looks very nice and the shadows seem correct, but as the point of view pans west or south the shadows start to change and become distorted and enlarged. These screenshots were taken in a moded save running KSPRC but I've seen the same thing in a stock save with only scatterer.

Thanks for the amazing mod!

http://imgur.com/a/uCJlj

TDMHXE1esuIZbNXuMQbPh

Try turning off terrain shadows and see if that helps

On 6/20/2016 at 2:23 PM, LaytheDragon said:

There is no underwater haze visible when Scatterer is enabled ..

Did anybody find a workaround for this? I'm getting the same effect. I mean, I could just avoid it by not going under water for now, but...

On 4/12/2015 at 9:37 AM, blackrack said:

-Sometimes the game starts stuck in the KSC view zoomed on the SPH, whenever that happens press alt+f12, show input stack and press clear input lock and it fixes it, this is actually not a scatterer issue but gets reported here a lot.

My game starts like this half the time, thanks.

Hi, I've installed SVE like a week or so, and saddly since my pc is quite crappy my fps sucks due it, still no regrets there because it looks simply amazing, but I'm trying to reach a point where I can get the eye candy and playable performance, that point is almost when there's no water on the planet, since I suck at coding, how can I completely disable the water effects on Scatterer?

Playing with alt+F11 options is kind of hard since I don't really know what am I doing, so thx in advance to anyone who can shed some light.

41 minutes ago, Kerbos said:

Hi, I've installed SVE like a week or so, and saddly since my pc is quite crappy my fps sucks due it, still no regrets there because it looks simply amazing, but I'm trying to reach a point where I can get the eye candy and playable performance, that point is almost when there's no water on the planet, since I suck at coding, how can I completely disable the water effects on Scatterer?

Playing with alt+F11 options is kind of hard since I don't really know what am I doing, so thx in advance to anyone who can shed some light.

sooooo..... at the main menu....... toggle ocean shaders off :wink: 

then restart your game.

I'm a coding genius and this proves it :D 

Edited by Galileo

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

sooooo..... at the main menu....... toggle ocean shaders off :wink: 

then restart your game.

I'm a coding genius and this proves it :D 

Already tried that like a dozen times, and didn't seems to change anything... that was until finally found out why, my gamedata folder would set on read only every time Steam initiated, that also explains the multiple errors on module load, thx. :P

7 minutes ago, Kerbos said:

Already tried that like a dozen times, and didn't seems to change anything... that was until finally found out why, my gamedata folder would set on read only every time Steam initiated, that also explains the multiple errors on module load, thx. :P

Yeah for sure don't run through steam :=