[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

5 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

issue with latest "scatterer beta" in 1.1.3 (prev.page link)

772fdad9d4b1.png

56e945118cc7.png

KSP atlantis :)

issue after some vessel switch, time warp, days and nights, map to vessels

I actually like that! Imagine a submerged KSC. You could launch submarines!

Then I looked upon Kerbin and saw Jeb was also sad. "Why do you frown little one?" He said to me "The world. It does not shade. The seas to not glimmer. Kerbol does not reach it's godrays and glint in our eyes." I stared to the flat horizon and knew it to be true. "Be patient little one" I spoke calmly. "The godrays will again reach forth, the seas will gleam in the distance and once again the mountains will cast their shadows upon us all. Scatterer shall once again grace our dear Kerbin." Then we stared through the empty sky...

That was all dramatic...but OMG the world is mega glum without Scatterer and I have been reading too much Lovecraft

2 hours ago, Jatwaa said:

Then I looked upon Kerbin and saw Jeb was also sad. "Why do you frown little one?" He said to me "The world. It does not shade. The seas to not glimmer. Kerbol does not reach it's godrays and glint in our eyes." I stared to the flat horizon and knew it to be true. "Be patient little one" I spoke calmly. "The godrays will again reach forth, the seas will gleam in the distance and once again the mountains will cast their shadows upon us all. Scatterer shall once again grace our dear Kerbin." Then we stared through the empty sky...

That was all dramatic...but OMG the world is mega glum without Scatterer and I have been reading too much Lovecraft

That was fantastic. I pictured a Christopher Robin type character with their arm around Jeb while saying all of this. Much like:

YEMyBu7.jpg

Sorry If this violates rule 2.3.

It's from the heart though. 

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, Jatwaa said:

Christ we gotta start a secret forum poetry society man... this is too deep for the everyday user... the sort of stuff I'd use in heartfelt cinematics. Jatwaa you gotta include more of this in ya vids

I may have to...think I did one blue dot type thing but haven't in a while. But that was my patient plea for Scatterer, never realize how much you need something till a new patch hit LOL. Cannot wait till it's all steady so I can get the back to my fav mods. 

Edited by Jatwaa

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Does this help any? 

Hmm, I thought the devs said to use 5.2.4 to build assetbundles anyway and not 5.4 (which this guy is using), maybe that's my problem.

And oh, what I meant was that the shaders now appear to be compiled at load time which might add some delays and other unpredictable issues.

Edited: Ok, it works with 5.4, thanks @Poodmund

1.2 release soon. If I find the time tomorrow I might attempt a quick 1.2 fix for EVE if no else has. 

Edited by blackrack

Alright, 1.2 version is uploading.

I tested on windows, opengl, dx9 and dx11 all work, please give feedback on linux/mac.

Included are also the ocean spazzing out fix and multiple lens flares support.

The only feature that seems to have broken is the "disable scaledSpace ambient light" but I will take care of it. Overall 1.2 seems to be a solid improvement.

Edited:

Download link: https://mega.nz/#!SUgRjaDR!wUBVqQLQdmzl-UTmYrio4EsRGgwd3xffp9mkXIlhdCY

Spacedock doesn't seem to have a version number for 1.2 so mega only for now.

For adding lens flares, go inside "Sunflare" folder and copy-paste the "Sun" folder as many times as you want, change the folder name to that of the celestial body you want to have a flare. Every flare has it's own textures and settings. Enjoy.

Edited by blackrack

58 minutes ago, blackrack said:

For adding lens flares, go inside "Sunflare" folder and copy-paste the "Sun" folder as many times as you want, change the folder name to that of the celestial body you want to have a flare. Every flare has it's own textures and settings. Enjoy.

How did i miss this? This is amazing. Will this allow me to use Kopernicus bodies as well and if so, Is it possible to rename the sun now with this change?

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, cy4n said:

I just get a bunch of pink stuff:

c2GTKS5.png

Ok, I might have to do separate asset bundles for each platform. We'll see.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

How did i miss this? This is amazing. Will this allow me to use Kopernicus bodies as well? Is it possible to rename the sun with this change?

You can't rename the Sun yet but I will do it soon. Other kopernicus bodies should work.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:09 PM, Jatwaa said:

I may have to...think I did one blue dot type thing but haven't in a while. But that was my patient plea for Scatterer, never realize how much you need something till a new patch hit LOL. Cannot wait till it's all steady so I can get the back to my fav mods. 

Hmm... You mentioned doing a "pale blue dot" esque video... I have a project I've been working on in the background for the last year you might like to read about. It's technically been worked on since 2013 though filming hasn't yet started.

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

I believe @Waz had to separate the asset bundles for each platform with EVE when he recompiled it.  Maybe he can shed more light as I have no idea what I'm talking about

Compiled shaders are different on different platforms in order to support more hardware (eg. Metal on OSX). A change in Unity also obsoleted the ability to construct shaders from text at runtime. The combination means the simple solution is to build an asset bundle for each platform's shaders, like this: https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/master/ShaderLoader/Shaders/Assets/Editor/BuildABs.cs

Then load the appropriate one at runtime.

Edited by Waz

1 hour ago, Waz said:

Compiled shaders are different on different platforms in order to support more hardware (eg. Metal on OSX). A change in Unity also obsoleted the ability to construct shaders from text at runtime. The combination means the simple solution is to build an asset bundle for each platform's shaders, like this: https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/master/ShaderLoader/Shaders/Assets/Editor/BuildABs.cs

Then load the appropriate one at runtime.

The weird thing is, shaders in assetbundles are not even compiled, I believe the specific variant for the platform is compiled at runtime, so it seems really weird to me that we'd need to make separate bundles for each platform.

Anyway, thanks.

Edited:

@cy4n try this: https://mega.nz/#!zMRXXAST!AupUlitizBvwBcFDhAfBryF0GSCTsVJMecE66hzfhs8

Edited by blackrack