[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Could this possibly be an issue with the camera renderer not updating for Scatterer when the vessel's orbital altitude is changed (by cheating) and thus still rendering the effects of a different (lower altitude)?

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

Normally, this box surrounds the camera and you can never have this viewpoint of it. Are you using any mods that affect camera position?

Hi, thanks for the reply 

I don't remember which mods I used back at that time and I switched many installs since then but I'm pretty sure there were no mods that messed with the camera, I suspect that it had something to do with sigma dimensions or with the camera FOV settings, either way I haven't seen that issue since then

7 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

Hi, thanks for the reply 

I don't remember which mods I used back at that time and I switched many installs since then but I'm pretty sure there were no mods that messed with the camera, I suspect that it had something to do with sigma dimensions or with the camera FOV settings, either way I haven't seen that issue since then

This is an issue that is caused by Sigma Dimensions and more specifically, the fadeStart and fadeEnd parameters in Kopernicus. Scatterer does not play nice with scaled systems currently.

16 hours ago, blackrack said:

Does just installing sigma binary cause this issue or is there a specific way to configure it or use it that causes this? What does sigma binary do exactly?

Sigma Binary adds the ability for bodies to orbit about a barycenter. Nothing in stock does this, but the Outer Planets Mod adds a Pluto/Charon equivalent called Plock/Karen. With Sigma Binary, they twirl about each other like two ice skaters. With time acceleration, the effect is profound.

It's cool to plan an approach to a system that's wobbling like that. One false move and you'll impact your molars into a dwarf planet.

One doesn't need Sigma Binary, which is why I was cool with dumping it. It's just interesting fluff. I have not tried running just that and OPM with no other mods.

Edited by JonathanPerregaux

18 hours ago, blackrack said:

Does just installing sigma binary cause this issue or is there a specific way to configure it or use it that causes this? What does sigma binary do exactly?

if you need help figuring out what's going on let me know

maybe I can be of assistance in explaining what SB does

19 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Assuming this was on Gael, Gael uses an experimentalAtmoScale of 1.6, at a 10x sized Gael that atmospheric stretch will become quite pronounced. Could there be an issue where the very low part of the scatterer effect at the 0km level is being rendered above the ground?

Also Gael has a [0] configPoint at 200m consisting of the following:

Item
{
	altitude = 200
	skyAlpha = 0.8
	skyExposure = 0
	skyRimExposure = 0.25
	postProcessAlpha = 0.5
	postProcessDepth = 0.08
	postProcessExposure = 0.2
	skyExtinctionMultiplier = 2
	skyExtinctionTint = 1
	skyextinctionRimFade = 0
	skyextinctionGroundFade = 0
	openglThreshold = 10
	edgeThreshold = 0.1
	viewdirOffset = 0.001
	_Post_Extinction_Tint = 1
	postExtinctionMultiplier = 0.9
	_GlobalOceanAlpha = 1
	_extinctionScatterIntensity = 1
}

Does anything in there look suspect to you, @blackrack?

Should the lowest altitude of the first configPoint always be 0m?

No everything looks fine, if the lowest config point is 200 covers 0-200. try different values of experimentalAtmoScale and see if there is any effect at all. Else try slightly lower values of HR and HM in the config tool

16 hours ago, stratvox said:

Hey, @blackrack, glad to see you're back :)

I pretty much need to include @Galileo here too, as I'm pretty sure this is an interface between SVE and scatterer.

I was wondering if you saw the post I made here. I have more info about it, and I'm pretty sure it's related to the disappearing clouds.

The magic altitude that causes this is 160km. If I'm in map view when my craft ascends past 160km, when I return to craft view I get the effect you see in my screenshot in the linked post. However, if I am in craft view when I ascend past 160km, then it works as it's supposed to. When I do get this effect, it's necessary for me to leave the craft and go back to the KSC to make it go away.

The disappearing clouds seems to be related to using the KAC jump to ship functionality. When I use KAC to jump to ship from the KSC, if the craft is above 160km I end up with no clouds. However, if I use the tracking station to get to the craft, the clouds are there. I'm mostly bringing this up because the altitudes are the same, even if the mechanic is different.

Latest KSP, up to date linux with up to date nvidia drivers.

It's more of an annoyance than anything since I now have complete workarounds for all the things I mention here, but I thought you might like to know.

Oh, and a few posts before the one I link I left a couple of eye-candies for you. Scatterer makes the overall experience of KSP sooooo much better. Has no material effect on the game, but has a huge one on the experience of playing the game. Thanks!

Hope you're having a good evening!

Ok, guess I will check it out with KAC when i have time.

3 hours ago, JonathanPerregaux said:

Sigma Binary adds the ability for bodies to orbit about a barycenter. Nothing in stock does this, but the Outer Planets Mod adds a Pluto/Charon equivalent called Plock/Karen. With Sigma Binary, they twirl about each other like two ice skaters. With time acceleration, the effect is profound.

It's cool to plan an approach to a system that's wobbling like that. One false move and you'll impact your molars into a dwarf planet.

One doesn't need Sigma Binary, which is why I was cool with dumping it. It's just interesting fluff. I have not tried running just that and OPM with no other mods.

Cool, i will try to check SB out when I can.

First, thanks for the great mod. :)

Is there a chance to maybe get these two exceptions (going into the TS and back to the SC) fixed, very much please? It makes me crazy to see these exceptions so often and I am waiting for a fix since V0.300 release. :(

I have a highly modded install, cause of that I need to have the exceptions turned on, to notice when something goes wrong. But these log I made with a very small modded installation and with Scatterer in its own config.

PS: This could be used to also sync back the version number of the binary with the version number of the release. Which confused some people.

[LOG 13:29:12.115] [AsteroidSpawner]: New object found near Kerbin: Ast. HSJ-227!
[LOG 13:29:12.177] [Scatterer] Celestial Body: Kerbin (CelestialBody)
[LOG 13:29:12.178] [Scatterer] Found: Kerbin / Kerbin
[LOG 13:29:12.178] [Scatterer] Celestial Body: Duna (CelestialBody)
[LOG 13:29:12.179] [Scatterer] Found: Duna / Duna
[LOG 13:29:12.179] [Scatterer] Celestial Body: Laythe (CelestialBody)
[LOG 13:29:12.179] [Scatterer] Found: Laythe / Laythe
[LOG 13:29:12.180] [Scatterer] Celestial Body: Jool (CelestialBody)
[LOG 13:29:12.180] [Scatterer] Found: Jool / Jool
[LOG 13:29:12.181] [Scatterer] Celestial Body: Eve (CelestialBody)
[LOG 13:29:12.181] [Scatterer] Found: Eve / Eve
[LOG 13:29:12.185] Found scaled sunlight
[LOG 13:29:12.186] Found Sunlight
[LOG 13:29:12.188] [Scatterer] mapping EVE clouds
[LOG 13:29:12.191] [Scatterer] Eve assembly type not found
[LOG 13:29:12.192] [Scatterer] Sunflare config found for Sun
[LOG 13:29:12.317] [Scatterer] Added custom sun flare for Sun
[LOG 13:29:12.322] [Scatterer] disableAmbientLight: Found scaled sunlight
[LOG 13:29:12.323] [Scatterer] disableAmbientLight: Found sunlight
[LOG 13:29:12.323] [Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Mun for Kerbin
[LOG 13:29:12.324] [Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Minmus for Kerbin
[LOG 13:29:12.326] [Scatterer] Atmosphere config found for: Kerbin
[LOG 13:29:12.337] [Scatterer] Ocean config found for: Kerbin
[LOG 13:29:12.545] [Scatterer] Effects loaded for Kerbin
[LOG 13:29:12.871] [Scatterer] Error calling clouds2d.reassign() on planet: KerbinSystem.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Object]].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 13:29:12.873] [UiApp] Awake: KSPedia
[LOG 13:29:12.874] [ApplicationLauncher] OnSceneLoadedGUIReady: scene TRACKSTATION ShouldBeVisible() True ShouldBeOnTop() False iIsPositionedAtTop False
[LOG 13:29:12.876] ScaleModList: listSize 164 maxListSize 1816
[LOG 13:29:12.877] [KnowledgeBase] OnAppLauncherReady 35054
[LOG 13:29:12.884] [UIApp] OnDestroy: ContractsApp
[LOG 13:29:12.897] [MessageSystem] Reposition 0.02 35055
[EXC 13:29:12.902] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateStuff ()
    scatterer.updateAtCameraRythm.OnPreCull ()
[LOG 13:29:12.907] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin
[LOG 13:29:12.947] [Scatterer] Sky switched to scaled mode
[LOG 13:29:13.025] [UIApp] Adding KSPedia to Application Launcher
[LOG 13:29:13.028] ScaleModList: listSize 164 maxListSize 1642
[LOG 13:29:15.913] Flight State Captured
[LOG 13:29:15.919] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 13:29:15.924] [MessageSystem] Save Messages
[LOG 13:29:15.938] Game State Saved to saves/default/persistent
[LOG 13:29:28.045] [AsteroidSpawner]: No new objects this time. (Odds are 1:2)
[LOG 13:29:43.220] [AsteroidSpawner]: New object found near Kerbin: Ast. VCF-167!
[LOG 13:29:58.430] [AsteroidSpawner]: No new objects this time. (Odds are 1:2)
[LOG 13:30:13.641] [AsteroidSpawner]: New object found near Kerbin: Ast. USG-098!
[LOG 13:30:44.081] [AsteroidSpawner]: No new objects this time. (Odds are 1:2)
[LOG 13:31:14.459] [AsteroidSpawner]: New object found near Kerbin: Ast. OUG-416!
[LOG 13:31:29.679] [AsteroidSpawner]: New object found near Kerbin: Ast. QSE-676!
[LOG 13:33:00.954] [AsteroidSpawner]: New object found near Kerbin: Ast. FZD-015!
[LOG 13:34:17.029] [AsteroidSpawner]: No new objects this time. (Odds are 1:2)
[LOG 13:35:32.837] Flight State Captured
[LOG 13:35:32.842] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 13:35:32.846] [MessageSystem] Save Messages
[LOG 13:35:32.858] Game State Saved to saves/default/persistent
[LOG 13:35:32.863] [Tracking Station]: SetVessel(null)
[LOG 13:35:32.865] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin
[LOG 13:35:32.887] [UIMasterController]: HideUI
[LOG 13:35:32.944] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From TRACKSTATION to SPACECENTER =====================
[EXC 13:35:32.945] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    scatterer.Core.Update ()
[LOG 13:35:33.170] [Scatterer] saving Kerbin atmo config to: scatterer/config/Planets/Kerbin/atmo
[LOG 13:35:33.172] [Scatterer] Saving settings to: scatterer/config/config.cfg
[LOG 13:35:33.172] KbApp.OnDestroy Vessel Crew
[LOG 13:35:33.173] [UIApp] OnDestroy: KSPedia

Edited by Jebs_SY

If you put the variable near clip plane back in it should be optional. I have never encountered the issues it is trying to fix, while the lack of it makes the current version the best yet for me.

19 hours ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Hi @blackrack, would you consider re-adding the variable near clip plane? The default value is just far enough to make stuff clip in IVA.

Will put it back as optional.

12 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

First, thanks for the great mod. :)

Is there a chance to maybe get these two exceptions (going into the TS and back to the SC) fixed, very much please? It makes me crazy to see these exceptions so often and I am waiting for a fix since V0.300 release. :(

I have a highly modded install, cause of that I need to have the exceptions turned on, to notice when something goes wrong. But these log I made with a very small modded installation and with Scatterer in its own config.

PS: This could be used to also sync back the version number of the binary with the version number of the release. Which confused some people.

Do you have any in-game issues though?

36 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Do you have any in-game issues though?

Not that I know of. But I have to admit, that I always reverted back to v0.265 cause of these exceptions. But it would be cool to be up-2-date again.
It's just the thing that it's much harder to check the log for "bad" exceptions, when you have plenty "no issues" exceptions in the same log.
Didn't you have these exceptions, each time you enter the tracking station? Are they hard to catch? o/ :)

Edited by Jebs_SY

@blackrack I'm having some bad interactions with scatterer and some other visual mod. This started with SVE 1.1.6 foward, Galileo told me that since this version, SVE uses the new version of scatterer and oriented me to seek help here. Log and mod list:

I will try to track down what mod is causing this

EDIT: Was Texture Raplacer and/or WindowShine

Edited by VaPaL

9 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Not that I know of. But I have to admit, that I always reverted back to v0.265 cause of these exceptions. But it would be cool to be up-2-date again.
It's just the thing that it's much harder to check the log for "bad" exceptions, when you have plenty "no issues" exceptions in the same log.
Didn't you have these exceptions, each time you enter the tracking station? Are they hard to catch? o/ :)

I will fix it, just ignore it for now.

On 4/9/2017 at 0:35 PM, TampaPowers said:

Installed using CKAN and now Eve is pitch black on the surface Also have EVE and Kopernicus installed.

Post output logs 

2 minutes ago, Greatness101 said:

I tried to install Scatterer but every time I tried to start the game this happened:

Reveal hidden contents

17948296_457952007881188_1615166980_o.pn

Post output logs

7 hours ago, TampaPowers said:

Yay forum breaking log files... or something, uploaded it instead: https://transfer.sh/HQS59/KSP.log

I need to see the output log not the KSP log..

BUT I think the issue is the shadow strength of EVE. Try opening the EVE GUI (alt+0) and navigate to the Cloud Manager. Choose an Eve cloud layer and scroll down to the bottom and look for a shadowMaterial setting and set it 0 or 0.1 or whatever works for you on each layer. If that is the problem, doing this will brighten Eve's surface. 

https://transfer.sh/B2Kcv/output_log.txt

Going to try what you suggested when I get home later.

EDIT: OK I removed them, still a bit dark for my taste but I suppose thats why the clouds are there. May have to see if I can find some nice configs somewhere, thanks for the help though!

Edited by TampaPowers
Fixed

I need help, please. Total newbie here and I really have no clue what is going on.

I'm getting a pink kerbin in map view (and on the start screen) and I can't figure out what is wrong. I've tried uninstalling Scatterer via CKAN and then verifying the steam files. Nothing seems to be helping.