[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Greetings everyone... I hope one could take a look on the little issue I am having: the first image is Kerbin seen in the tracking station when I open it through space center (it is exactly as I wanted it to be like)

JZTe4Yl.png

and the second image is Kerbin shown by pressing the M key while flying a vessel.

01w337J.png

Why are these two different from one another? (I want it to be just like in the first image also when I press M). I am using stock visual enhancements and default scatterer (CKAN).

Any thoughts?

Edited by whoislfermont

Well, my current test is interesting.

I reapplied scatterer, but I turned all the menu opens off from the start screen menu, and this instance of KSC has been running since ~2PM, it's now 7 PM.  And after yanking the camera around with my mouse, I find it's still smooth.

I'm going to let it sit a while longer, then I'm going to try turning on a few different things, starting with ocean shaders and see what happens.

1 hour ago, whoislfermont said:

Greetings everyone... I hope one could take a look on the little issue I am having: the first image is Kerbin seen in the tracking station when I open it through space center (it is exactly as I wanted it to be like)

JZTe4Yl.png

and the second image is Kerbin shown by pressing the M key while flying a vessel.

01w337J.png

Why are these two different from one another? (I want it to be just like in the first image also when I press M). I am using stock visual enhancements and default scatterer (CKAN).

Any thoughts?

This is an issue with SVE. I made a mistake in the latest release and haven't had time to fix it. 

Okay, back, and KSP has been running for twelve hours.

The scene was still graphically smooth, but KSP had nommed 25 gigs of ram.  I'm pretty certain that was soundtrack editor, however.  (I had that problem before.  STE loads a song, but never unloads the used RAM when it ends.  Repeat loading 2 to 10 MB tracks over the course of 12 hours and you nom a lot of ram.)

So the one of the options in the main scatterer settings seems to be the problem child.  I'm going to guess 'ocean shaders' as my first turn-on-test.

EDIT:

So six hours later, I did notice a solid performance drop at KSC with ocean shaders turned on, but everything else off.  That pretty much tells me everything I need to know.  Something in the ocean shaders doesn't like running for a long time without scene changes.  If oceans are getting a new shader, it might be prudent to do run tests with it and watch it during release.  Anyone else noticing the slowdown want to emulate my test and verify behavior?

Edited by AdmiralTigerclaw

8 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

Okay, back, and KSP has been running for twelve hours.

The scene was still graphically smooth, but KSP had nommed 25 gigs of ram.  I'm pretty certain that was soundtrack editor, however.  (I had that problem before.  STE loads a song, but never unloads the used RAM when it ends.  Repeat loading 2 to 10 MB tracks over the course of 12 hours and you nom a lot of ram.)

So the one of the options in the main scatterer settings seems to be the problem child.  I'm going to guess 'ocean shaders' as my first turn-on-test.

EDIT:

So six hours later, I did notice a solid performance drop at KSC with ocean shaders turned on, but everything else off.  That pretty much tells me everything I need to know.  Something in the ocean shaders doesn't like running for a long time without scene changes.  If oceans are getting a new shader, it might be prudent to do run tests with it and watch it during release.  Anyone else noticing the slowdown want to emulate my test and verify behavior?

Well, I have noticed some, even significant lagging in Kerbin after some time, especially if flying over oceans for long duration (which I usually try to avoid even without the scatterer), so there might be something indeed wrong with the ocean shaders but on the other hand I haven't got the best PC performance out there so yeah there's that....

22 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I already reported here it last month. Surprised no one noticed up till then

I fixed this in my current dev version after I think you reported a few weeks ago. It will be in the next release.

20 hours ago, whoislfermont said:

Any thoughts?

18 hours ago, Galileo said:

This is an issue with SVE. I made a mistake in the latest release and haven't had time to fix it. 

If I remember correctly there is a setting called "extinctionGroundFade" which was being taken from the current altitude/configPoint even if you're in map view mode, this is fixed for next release.

15 minutes ago, Zayne Kerman said:

My terrain is broken up, not sure why.

On 2017-5-30 at 7:43 PM, blackrack said:

Show me in this thread where it says 1.3 compatible

Using 1.3?

Edited by Gameslinx

4 minutes ago, Zayne Kerman said:

yes.

If you read back the last few pages (as you should to see if your issue has been brought up) you would see that floating tiles has been brought up many times. Scatterer is not 1.3 compatible 

Edited by Galileo

Some testing alongside the new EVE effects :) 

CDKZERh.png

And yes that is a red Aurora on Jool :P I might take a picture closer to Laythe's pole to get a glimpse of it's aurora too

EDIT:

QozQPdl.png

Edited by Avera9eJoe

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

If you read back the last few pages (as you should to see if your issue has been brought up) you would see that floating tiles has been brought up many times. Scatterer is not 1.3 compatible 

That said, another piece of information you can pick up is that if you turn off ocean shaders, the floating tile problem disappears, even in 1.3, and everything else seems to work ok.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, whoislfermont said:

JZTe4Yl.png

01w337J.png

Any thoughts?

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, Galileo said:

Hm, I love that red hue in the first image but I wasn't able to replicate it in the config tool without the atmosphere looking unnatural from the surface... how did you create that tint Galileo?

3 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm, I love that red hue in the first image but I wasn't able to replicate it in the config tool without the atmosphere looking unnatural from the surface... how did you create that tint Galileo?

It's an accident. I don't even know how I did it. It has to do with the extinction tints and multiplier

Just now, Galileo said:

It's an accident. I don't even know how I did it. It has to do with the extinction tints and multiplier

xD k :) I might have to mess around with those values then.

Something that clicked just now in my mind, and I thought I should point out in case people forget it.

No matter where you fly on Kerbin, you never escape ocean shaders.  Zero Altitude MSL is an ocean sphere and land masses are just texture objects raised above it.  You can see it any time your camera clips below a terrain mesh.  So that makes for a good reminder of how ocean shaders can play havoc even when you're inland.  They're still rendered, just... out of direct LOS.

13 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

Something that clicked just now in my mind, and I thought I should point out in case people forget it.

No matter where you fly on Kerbin, you never escape ocean shaders.  Zero Altitude MSL is an ocean sphere and land masses are just texture objects raised above it.  You can see it any time your camera clips below a terrain mesh.  So that makes for a good reminder of how ocean shaders can play havoc even when you're inland.  They're still rendered, just... out of direct LOS.

Yes, and Squad never solved the problem of framerate drop when ocean is in your field of vision. It's a pretty annoying thing.

3 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

problem of framerate drop when ocean is in your field of vision. It's a pretty annoying thing.

Not experienced this at all with or without Scatterer. Are you using a poor GPU/CPU?

4 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Yes, and Squad never solved the problem of framerate drop when ocean is in your field of vision. It's a pretty annoying thing.

Can I ask what your GPU is? I used to have this problem (Especially past a certain distance up) when I had an older PC.

For Blackrack:Do note that with my 1070 any body that has Scatterer oceans causes my GPU usage to jump up to around 98% in the preview... it drops to around 30% the moment I tab to scaled space or go to any other scene/body that doesn't have oceans :P It goes to around 80% with previous versions of Scatterer :P I'll have to turn off the ocean shaders though and see if it's really the cause, or if it's just the atmospheric effects.

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Can I ask what your GPU is? I used to have this problem (Especially past a certain distance up) when I had an older PC.

For Blackrack:Do note that with my 1070 any body that has Scatterer oceans causes my GPU usage to jump up to around 98% in the preview... it drops to around 30% the moment I tab to scaled space or go to any other scene/body that doesn't have oceans :P It goes to around 80% with previous versions of Scatterer :P I'll have to turn off the ocean shaders though and see if it's really the cause, or if it's just the atmospheric effects.

R5 M200 / HD8500M. I can run KSP 64-bit at highest settings, smoothly, without problems, but whenever there's sea of Kerbin visible, and I'm beneath that dreaded 160 km limit, framerate drops beneath 20.

BTW is there a way to push that limit to, let's say, 80 km? I avoid 75-160 km layer because of these things which is a shame as it's good for interplanetary mission preparation.

20 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

R5 M200 / HD8500M. I can run KSP 64-bit at highest settings, smoothly, without problems, but whenever there's sea of Kerbin visible, and I'm beneath that dreaded 160 km limit, framerate drops beneath 20.

BTW is there a way to push that limit to, let's say, 80 km? I avoid 75-160 km layer because of these things which is a shame as it's good for interplanetary mission preparation.

:L Stock ocean and Scatterer both? That's a pretty good system ya got there so it's probably not your hardware (idk if AMD vs intel makes any difference here, probably not)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

I could write a ModuleManager config to adjust that, but I can't guarantee anything.

Create a new file and put it in GameData and called it something, but make sure the extension is .cfg, and that you have ModuleManager and Kopernicus installed

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			fadeStart = 40000
			fadeEnd = 45000
		}
		@PQS
		{
			fadeStart = 45000