[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

First, I want to express my respect and gratitude for all the people who have had a role in making this mod; it's really great. 

However, I'm having an odd problem - the ring/halo came back when I upgraded to 1.3. In addition to using scatterer 0,0320b, I'm also using SVE v.1.2.5b and EVE. This also happened with the earlier version of SVE. 

I've deleted my old copy of scatterer, and downloaded a fresh one ... and the halo is there. I've also tried it with and without the alternate SPQR button clicked on the app's menu. I also wiped the mod manager cache, too. 

I'm using a Mac 2017, with a with a Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB GPU, and the OS is up to date, so I assume the drivers are too. It might be a Mac thing, but might not, because the various 1.2 versions of KSP didn't have the halo/ring. 

Any suggestions? Sorry if this is a repeat post - I saw a posting on Halo/Rings earlier, but the response was simply to use the alternate SPQR, which I already did. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, JBore said:

First, I want to express my respect and gratitude for all the people who have had a role in making this mod; it's really great. 

However, I'm having an odd problem - the ring/halo came back when I upgraded to 1.3. In addition to using scatterer 0,0320b, I'm also using SVE v.1.2.5b and EVE. This also happened with the earlier version of SVE. 

I've deleted my old copy of scatterer, and downloaded a fresh one ... and the halo is there. I've also tried it with and without the alternate SPQR button clicked on the app's menu. I also wiped the mod manager cache, too. 

I'm using a Mac 2017, with a with a Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB GPU, and the OS is up to date, so I assume the drivers are too. It might be a Mac thing, but might not, because the various 1.2 versions of KSP didn't have the halo/ring. 

Any suggestions? Sorry if this is a repeat post - I saw a posting on Halo/Rings earlier, but the response was simply to use the alternate SPQR, which I already did. 

Thanks. 

Remove SVE and run the game with just scatterer installed. see if the issue still happens 

6 hours ago, Galileo said:

Remove SVE and run the game with just scatterer installed. see if the issue still happens 

Thanks for the suggestion; I appreciate it a great deal

However, it didn't work  - I shut down ksp, removed SVE, and restarted, and the halo was still there; did this both with and without the alternate SPQR (tried it twice with the alternate SPQR, shutting down and restarting, just in case it took a restart for the setting to take). Pretty sure that SVE was properly removed - it was a very clear day on Kerbin. 

I'm running .320b of scatterer and 1.2.4.1 of SVE and i still have the issue where it turns off scatterers water shaders and then when i enable it it just throws them on top of the stock ones like tkw's picture about a page back, it doesn't break the water physics, and if i go  back a second time to the main menu and toggle it off and then back on, it seems like it's fine, 
Any thoughts or anything i might have missed? 

3 minutes ago, Grease1991 said:

I'm running .320b of scatterer and 1.2.4.1 of SVE and i still have the issue where it turns off scatterers water shaders and then when i enable it it just throws them on top of the stock ones like tkw's picture about a page back, it doesn't break the water physics, and if i go  back a second time to the main menu and toggle it off and then back on, it seems like it's fine, 

I had the same problem. Finally, I removed SVE and installed EVE instead (along with EVE configs). I no longer have that issue and I've realized I prefer the atmosphere effects from EVE over SVE anyway.

Edited by Observe

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

Later on in the evening, I stripped the game data of anything but scatterer & the squad file (including caches) ... and still got the halo. 

1 hour ago, JBore said:

Later on in the evening, I stripped the game data of anything but scatterer & the squad file (including caches) ... and still got the halo. 

Ok, well I was hoping it was SVE so blackrack wouldn't have to fix anything, but now it's not looking good :/ 

2 hours ago, Grease1991 said:

SVE 1.2.4.1 was not developed for this release of scatterer. It disables the ocean shaders and keeps them disabled by default because the last version of scatterer (0.0300) had the floating terrain tiles in KSP 1.3. That had been brought up multiple times in the thread. I have not updated SVE yet for this version of scatterer, however, there is a version on the OP with working ocean shaders. It was for the experimental version of scatterer but works with the latest official release too. 

2 hours ago, Observe said:

I had the same problem. Finally, I removed SVE and installed EVE instead (along with EVE configs). I no longer have that issue and I've realized I prefer the atmosphere effects from EVE over SVE anyway.

EVE doesn't have scatterer atmospheres. What you are seeing is the default scatterer configs at work. Glad you found that you liked them better. 

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

BUG. When I land on the sea, with part pressure and part g limits, I sink straight down until I explode, no mater how slow I go. This has forced me to ensure all my landings are on land.

It sounds like you are on the experimental version still. If that's the case, you need to use the latest release of scatterer. (v.0.0320) redownload and make sure you install it, and not an old version. 

Also, normal procedure when reporting an issue: Post logs. Can't help you otherwise :/ 

Edited by Galileo

9 hours ago, Galileo said:

Ok, well I was hoping it was SVE so blackrack wouldn't have to fix anything, but now it's not looking good :/ 

SVE 1.2.4.1 was not developed for this release of scatterer. It disables the ocean shaders and keeps them disabled by default because the last version of scatterer (0.0300) had the floating terrain tiles in KSP 1.3. That had been brought up multiple times in the thread. I have not updated SVE yet for this version of scatterer, however, there is a version on the OP with working ocean shaders. It was for the experimental version of scatterer but works with the latest official release too. 

EVE doesn't have scatterer atmospheres. What you are seeing is the default scatterer configs at work. Glad you found that you liked them better. 

Thanks for thinking it through - it looks like this halo/ring can't be fixed simply by tweaking the mod ecology. Odd that others aren't reporting this as well; this maybe an apple thing. If there's any more information I can share with anyone (blackjack?) that might help, let me know and I'll get it to that person. 

Appreciatively, 

Jon

27 minutes ago, JBore said:

Thanks for thinking it through - it looks like this halo/ring can't be fixed simply by tweaking the mod ecology. Odd that others aren't reporting this as well; this maybe an apple thing. If there's any more information I can share with anyone (blackjack?) that might help, let me know and I'll get it to that person. 

Appreciatively, 

Jon

Well, it's an OpenGL thing for sure but doesn't seem to be an issue for all OpenGL users for some reason. This isn't a new issue, that is the reason the alternate sqrt option in the first place, so I'm confident blackrack will figure it out as he kind of already knows what causes the issue. 

Hey, @blackrack , I'm trying to run KSP 1.2.2 with Scatterer, and my FPS drop sharply. Admittedly, I'm running it on laptop with 60 other addons, but I still get 60 FPS in KSC view. With Scatterer, though, I'm down to 25-30 FPS. I tried disabling almost all of the features in the config window, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Is there anything I can do to improve the performance? Most people report slight decrease in FPS with Scatterer, but nothing as dramatic as in my case.

On 7/9/2017 at 3:08 AM, blorgon said:

May I ask why the change to a sharper terminator, and a wider sunset? How involved would it be to change back to a "fuzzier" terminator?

Here's a screenshot I took tonight:

ede4f53afc.png

And one of the "fuzzier" terminator from 1.1.1:

4EspR6o.png

Disable EVE integration

On 11/28/2016 at 8:52 PM, Tekener said:

I can confirm @TheKurgan's issue with the whitecaps: they are gone and no matter which setting I try they don't appear. I still have a screenshot with the settings of the whitecaps I used to have, so I don't need to remember the values - but they are not working anymore, all I get as "whitecap" is a slightly brighter blue than the ocean itself.

I tried turning on/off the accurate sky reflection but nothing changed, the ocean looks still the same without any white :(

Edit - what I noticed when actually comparing the old and new images: 
And actually the sun reflecion on the water is nearly gone as well, only getting a "brighter" ocean when the sun shines, but no real light reflecion on the waves like it used to be. Also the sky isn't that bright in the sunlight and the shadows are not that dark anymore? And the horizon is also broken in the new version.

Top image is 1.1.3, bottom one 1.2.1 with same ocean settings. Skey reflection does not really change anything.

ocean_comparisson.jpg

How can I get the same effect as in 1.3.1 in the above picture?

Do you still have the screencap of your ocean settings?

On 11.07.2017 at 8:20 AM, Grease1991 said:

SVE overrides some scatterer parameters by it's own config, path is StockVisualEnhncements\SVE_Configs\Scatterer_settings.cfg. You can either change needed values there (the line you need is "%useOceanShaders = "), or just delete this config completely to use original scatterer settings.

6 minutes ago, Nightwindale said:

SVE overrides some scatterer parameters by it's own config, path is StockVisualEnhncements\SVE_Configs\Scatterer_settings.cfg. You can either change needed values there (the line you need is "%useOceanShaders = "), or just delete this config completely to use original scatterer settings.

ah, i just with the experimental version that was also suggested but i appreciated the help. :)

10 minutes ago, Grease1991 said:

ah, i just with the experimental version that was also suggested but i appreciated the help. :)

If you mean experimental scatterer version, then even if you will install latest one, SVE will still override it's config and you won't have ocean shaders. Even the newer version of SVE will still override some other settings (like mentioned above change of terminator rendering) or, IIRC, enable "atmo on top of clouds", so i suggest you to check the SVE config anyway.

Edited by Nightwindale

1 hour ago, Nightwindale said:

If you mean experimental scatterer version, then even if you will install latest one, SVE will still override it's config and you won't have ocean shaders. Even the newer version of SVE will still override some other settings (like mentioned above change of terminator rendering) or, IIRC, enable "atmo on top of clouds", so i suggest you to check the SVE config anyway.

That's not true. The latest version of SVE does not overwrite anything except the atmo cfgs of the bodies. It does not overwrite the sunflare or the ocean shaders any longer. Now the control over performance and options is in the users hands. Also, SVE no longer bundles a sunflare due to too many people complaining about not knowing how to replace textures. Go download the latest version 1.2.5.0

Also, @blackrack I doubt it's intended, but using MM to make scatterer use my cfgs works but the file directory for my cfg is always set to Laythe so I can't save any changes directly to my cfgs in game. I have to manually go back and make any changes I need.

Edited by Galileo

On 7/11/2017 at 3:30 PM, StickyScissors said:

I'm curious if im the only one having this issue with sunflares since updating to 1.3: http://i.imgur.com/m3bbCzt.png

Edit: Nevermind, this is an SVE issue, as it adds the sunflare which overwrites scatterer's native one.

Not sure it is. I'm using the latest SVE release, which doesn't do that anymore, and I'm getting the same problem:

7f70f1356b.png

12 minutes ago, blorgon said:

Not sure it is. I'm using the latest SVE release, which doesn't do that anymore, and I'm getting the same problem:

7f70f1356b.png

if this is happening, you likely have another mod installed that has a sun flare(looks like KSPRC, which isnt updated and its cfgs wont work right with the latest scatterer) I can tell you right now, that is NOT sve in that screenshot

Nobody can help you based on a screen shot anyway. Post your logs a screenshot of you GameData folder.

Edited by Galileo