[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Hi @blackrack i have a question regarding the shadow flickering. Your fix for 1.9 seems to work well, didn't notice any flickering when in normal flight mode.

But I'm using "Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" and somehow for the 1st person perspective it's still flickering. In 1.8.1 this problem doesn't occur.
Can i do something to solve this, maybe with some setting?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, LtMtz said:

Hi @blackrack i have a question regarding the shadow flickering. Your fix for 1.9 seems to work well, didn't notice any flickering when in normal flight mode.

But I'm using "Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" and somehow for the 1st person perspective it's still flickering. In 1.8.1 this problem doesn't occur.
Can i do something to solve this, maybe with some setting?

Thanks in advance!

Can I see how that looks with "Through the Eyes of a Kerbal"? Anyway, there are settings for the shadows but I doubt anything would help, there are some very specific tweaks I made at shader level and I think I would need to start there again.

Unless "Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" changes the near clip plane of the camera? @linuxgurugamer does "Through the Eyes of a Kerbal" change the near clip plane?

Edited by blackrack

@blackrack thanks for the quick response. Of course you can: Video

I don't know if it's realy a shadow related problem. But i guess it is, since in 1.8.1 it works well.

I have tested it with all my mods and with only "through the eyes" on both Gameversions. Both 1.9.1 tests resulted in 1st person flickering. Its also the same on planets far away from the ksc. :)

Edited by LtMtz

6 minutes ago, LtMtz said:

@blackrack thanks for the quick response. Of course you can: Video

I don't know if it's realy a shadow related problem. But i guess it is, since in 1.8.1 it works well.

It doesn't look to be the shadows honestly because the shadows are usually not full black.

Looks to be either:

• Broken EVE cloud shadows
  • Broken post-processing (either SSAO or DoF that you have going)

The reason this only happens in 1.9 is because of the new unified camera, resulting in a single z-buffer covering the whole scene.

Try removing EVE and KS3P/TUFX to isolate it.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

It doesn't look to be the shadows honestly because the shadows are usually not full black.

Looks to be either:

• Broken EVE cloud shadows
  • Broken post-processing (either SSAO or DoF that you have going)

The reason this only happens in 1.9 is because of the new unified camera, resulting in a single z-buffer covering the whole scene.

Try removing EVE and KS3P/TUFX to isolate it.

Tried again with only "eyes" it seems to work on lowest settings. I'll raise the settings step by step and focus on the things you've mentioned. Maybe i can find the foul apple. :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Edited by LtMtz

1 hour ago, LtMtz said:

Tried again with only "eyes" it seems to work on lowest settings. I'll raise the settings step by step and focus on the things you've mentioned. Maybe i can find the foul apple. :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Lowest settings? Of the mod or the game?

Anyway, I think you should ask this in through the eyes of a kerbal thread, also ask if nearClipPlane overriding can be disabled or modified, I'm guessing this is what causes the issue: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Through-The-Eyes/blob/25f131540ecaa2cce0dcb96fc04f853c2e1558b9/ThroughTheEyes/FirstPersonCameraManager.cs#L87

40 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Lowest settings? Of the mod or the game?

Anyway, I think you should ask this in through the eyes of a kerbal thread, also ask if nearClipPlane overriding can be disabled or modified, I'm guessing this is what causes the issue: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Through-The-Eyes/blob/25f131540ecaa2cce0dcb96fc04f853c2e1558b9/ThroughTheEyes/FirstPersonCameraManager.cs#L87

After more testing I think I've found the problem.

Setting the game options renderer quality to the lowest (fastest) or second lowest (fast) level solves the problem. Same behaviour with mods (even outdated graphicmods like eve and ks3p) or without. All other game graphic options can be set freely without causing the problem. So it must be the renderer somehow.

I'm running the game in dx11.

Could this be a problem related to the nearclipplane overriding?

32 minutes ago, LtMtz said:

After more testing I think I've found the problem.

Setting the game options renderer quality to the lowest (fastest) or second lowest (fast) level solves the problem. Same behaviour with mods (even outdated graphicmods like eve and ks3p) or without. All other game graphic options can be set freely without causing the problem. So it must be the renderer somehow.

I'm running the game in dx11.

Could this be a problem related to the nearclipplane overriding?

Well, it "solves" it because it disables the shadows. The shadows are borked because of reduced depth precision in 1.9. Due to the nearClipPlane being overridden this precision is made even worse and my shadow fix doesn't hold up.

Edited by blackrack

13 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Well, it "solves" it because it disables the shadows. The shadows are borked because of reduced depth precision in 1.9. Due to the nearClipPlane being overridden this precision is made even worse and my shadow fix doesn't hold up.

That makes sense... :D I will ask in through the eyes of a kerbal thread if it can be tweaked. Thanks for all the information. Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, rogerawong said:

New guy here.  Is this super hard transition between day and night on Kerbin a known issue, or is it something I should write up a bug report for?

Looks like SVE config and not stock scatterer so report it there

2 hours ago, anothernormalplayer said:

Hey i downloaded from spacedock and instead of having the mod features kerbin had a white circle arround it or something.

I suspect scatterer was installed incorrectly.  However, you should provide screenshots and logs (see the link in my signature) as it's impossible to determine with any greater detail what happened without them.

3 hours ago, Jacke said:

I suspect scatterer was installed incorrectly.  However, you should provide screenshots and logs (see the link in my signature) as it's impossible to determine with any greater detail what happened without them.

1f5YiLT.png

I downloaded it the same way i always do, download the file from spacedock or other official links, put the mod folder into gamedata and start the game to test the mod.

I tried changing to 1.8.1 didn't worked. I also tried to get the version previous to this one, the same happended. CKAN worked, i still want to report this bug.

1 minute ago, anothernormalplayer said:

I downloaded it the same way i always do, download the file from spacedock or other official links, put the mod folder into gamedata and start the game to test the mod.

I tried changing to 1.8.1 didn't worked. I also tried to get the version previous to this one, the same happended. CKAN worked, i still want to report this bug.

You need to upload and post a link to the logs.  Follow the link in my signature.  Else it's unlikely anyone can help you.

im in love with how scatterer looks and all but was just a bit curious if its possible to disable to blur/sun ghosts or whatever theyre called that surround the majority of the picture? i like the sun ghosts that are of the sun but the rest sorta makes my screen look all dirty. idk if this has been asked before, i wasnt really able to find anything about it but if so then i apologize. by1ZAUL.jpg

13 hours ago, rindy said:

im in love with how scatterer looks and all but was just a bit curious if its possible to disable to blur/sun ghosts or whatever theyre called that surround the majority of the picture? i like the sun ghosts that are of the sun but the rest sorta makes my screen look all dirty. idk if this has been asked before, i wasnt really able to find anything about it but if so then i apologize. 

You need to modify the sunflare config and delete the things you don't want. This isn't stock scatterer sunflare though, so find the config file for it and set the intensity of the ghosts that bother you to zero.

Hi All,

I've just started playing KSP and am getting into it a bit now.  I decided to install some graphics mods and went for the Astronomer's Visual Pack from here - 

I installed all the dependencies, including Scatterer but I'm getting an odd effect which I assume is not meant to be happening.  On the main menu screen in-game, Kerbin is very white and misty and looks the same from orbit.  Once in the atmosphere, everything looks great though.  I'm just not sure if this is right or not, and if it's not.. which mod is the issue.  If I remove Scatterer then it clears up but I know it could still be something else.  Here is a screenshot - https://imgur.com/a/zshJBmn - any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, Andehh said:

Hi All,

I've just started playing KSP and am getting into it a bit now.  I decided to install some graphics mods and went for the Astronomer's Visual Pack from here - 

I installed all the dependencies, including Scatterer but I'm getting an odd effect which I assume is not meant to be happening.

That looks like how AVP is supposed to look. However since this isn't stock scatterer config you should ask in the AVP thread.

13 hours ago, Andehh said:

I installed all the dependencies, including Scatterer but I'm getting an odd effect which I assume is not meant to be happening.  On the main menu screen in-game, Kerbin is very white and misty and looks the same from orbit.  Once in the atmosphere, everything looks great though.  I'm just not sure if this is right or not, and if it's not.. which mod is the issue.  If I remove Scatterer then it clears up but I know it could still be something else.  Here is a screenshot - https://imgur.com/a/zshJBmn - any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

That looks like how AVP is supposed to look. However since this isn't stock scatterer config you should ask in the AVP thread.

Ah, you mean the rainbow clouds in the main menu yes? That's a bug with AVP, but it is only present in the main menu and does not appear in game. It happens when you turn a few atmosphere sliders up to too high in Scatterer.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hi folks. I'm having issues getting 1.9 to work with the mods I want. I've had some bad FPS-hits and have been trying to get down to where the problem lies.

I feel like PlanetShine might be causing the FPS drop. (I guess there is no new version of this one?)

However, now Scatterer (laterst version) is acting kind of funny. All of a sudden it looks like this:

https://imgur.com/Crn9PBW

Edited by Windh

On 5/13/2020 at 2:26 AM, Boganaut said:

I'm getting this problem too. I've found that tinkering with the Scattering Exposure can help. It starts at 0.23, try something like 0.005 and then adjust up/down to your taste.

Also be aware of the config points up at the top of the settings - Kerbin has different config points for zero, 1000 and 250,000 altitudes. I dialed down the opacity at 250,000, but when I was flying at 80,000, it was still all white & pearly because I hadn't edited the 1000 config point.

I hope that helps. I also increased the Extinction tint a bit to breath a bit more colour back into the world. My next task is to figure out how to save the settings! The buttons don't seem to be doing the trick, so it might be a matter of editing the config files once one works out what looks nice.

Thank you.  Your advice help a lot.  Once I started at these levels it was a matter of tinkering with the numbers to get what I wanted.

All looks nice now.

I have scatterer version v0.0331b (KSP 1.4.2), and the oceans aren't appearing, and so does the sky!

Is it because of other mods or is it a problem with KSP? Like if I have to verify cache or reinstall?

If it is because of other mods, is there a list of mods that break scatterer?

(EDIT: I fixed it by removing a texture pack for EVE. Which is in my opinion, disappointing to remove. How can I install a texture pack for EVE without breaking scatterer?)

Edited by SheldonTime