[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

Is this an unofficial Kopernicus recompile for 1.10 or an actual update? Has Thomas moved on from Kopernicus?

Man it would be awesome if I understood the ins and outs enough to answer that. Thomas has been on the thread providing some help, that's all I really know.

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

Is this an unofficial Kopernicus recompile for 1.10 or an actual update? Has Thomas moved on from Kopernicus?

Thomas gave up being the primary maintainer, yeah. He had to come out and say it was ok to fork Kopernicus, but the long and short of it is it basically changed hands and Kopernicus Continued is now what's under active development. (By prestja and their band of merry men)

Edited by RyanRising
Mentioned prestja

Hello,

I noticed that the color of clouds in the main menu is a little bit off, as shown in the screenshot. And it seems that scatterer is conflicting with realplume, the whole plume lights up and turns white against the atmonsphere in daylight, no such problem at night. I'm using the temporary dll for 1.10 and the latest version of realplume available. I'm using a unofficial release version of EVE, but I don't think the problem is EVE, as the plume problem persists with EVE removed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b61RVXQIjivk0ZBOBqT7yzwDP0PWIGb3/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kyC9Gn3SlZCRXhqKKev0wramSrBcDUM5/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13wfGG9gZhuV3pEivbBqxiNvg5dpI3CtK/view?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, GSTI said:

Hello,

I noticed that the color of clouds in the main menu is a little bit off, as shown in the screenshot. And it seems that scatterer is conflicting with realplume, the whole plume lights up and turns white against the atmonsphere in daylight, no such problem at night. I'm using the temporary dll for 1.10 and the latest version of realplume available. I'm using a unofficial release version of EVE, but I don't think the problem is EVE, as the plume problem persists with EVE removed.

I don't have a fix, but I can confirm I'm seeing the same issue with the clouds. I have scatterer, the latest official build of EVE, the last version of the default EVE configs, and planetshine.

Hello. I've been looking through my player.log and i found this nullreferenceException log.

Spoiler

Uploading Crash Report
NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentFastPath(UnityEngine.Component,System.Type,intptr)
  at UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[T] () [0x00020] in <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0 
  at scatterer.SkyNode.Cleanup () [0x001b2] in <d38c161373984c33afbd1aae204ad476>:0 
  at scatterer.ProlandManager.OnDestroy () [0x0000e] in <d38c161373984c33afbd1aae204ad476>:0 
  at scatterer.ScattererCelestialBodiesManager.Cleanup () [0x00027] in <d38c161373984c33afbd1aae204ad476>:0 
  at scatterer.Scatterer.OnDestroy () [0x0003d] in <d38c161373984c33afbd1aae204ad476>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Is it somewhat dangerous to keep playing with this?

KSP 1.10 & scatterer

Before, with the Scatterer 0.0610 dll :

Spoiler

JbBlPMJ.jpg(strong horizon provided from game legacy)

And now, with the new dll :

Spoiler

jPldmSd.jpg(normal horizon expected with Scatterer)

Thank you @blackrack ! !

Edited by Vandest

On 7/5/2020 at 9:04 AM, GSTI said:

Hello,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b61RVXQIjivk0ZBOBqT7yzwDP0PWIGb3/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kyC9Gn3SlZCRXhqKKev0wramSrBcDUM5/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13wfGG9gZhuV3pEivbBqxiNvg5dpI3CtK/view?usp=sharing

I'm having the same issue.  I deleted scatterer and the issue disappears. 

Hi - Jool in my game looks like this:

UuwIfks.png

I'm trying to narrow down what's causing these rings around the planet - they're viewable from all angles.  I'm thinking it's Scatterer?   I do have EVE w/ Astronomers for what it's worth.

Any thoughts...?  Thank you!

Edit:  Running KSP v.1.9.1.2788 Win 64.

Edited by Saybur Stuff
Added version and os

On 7/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Man it would be awesome if I understood the ins and outs enough to answer that. Thomas has been on the thread providing some help, that's all I really know.

I'm actually on the Kopernicus-Continued dev team, if any of you remember me. :D

Check out my bleeding edge branch for full 1.10 support:

2 hours ago, Saybur Stuff said:

Hi - Jool in my game looks like this:

UuwIfks.png

I'm trying to narrow down what's causing these rings around the planet - they're viewable from all angles.  I'm thinking it's Scatterer?   I do have EVE w/ Astronomers for what it's worth.

Any thoughts...?  Thank you!

Edit:  Running KSP v.1.9.1.2788 Win 64.

Never seen that one before.  Are you by chance running Kopernicus too?  It does not appear so but we had a kind of similar bug a bit back.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, blackrack said:

Hey blackrack, it's not unofficial (though we call it Koperncius-Continued just for naming rights).  He gave us his blessing and even the keys to the official repo, so we have CKAN control in the longterm.  Only reason there isn't a CKAN release already is we are trying to keep up his lofty quality standards for that.  We are ALMOST to release for CKAN, but not quite.

Edited by R-T-B

On 7/5/2020 at 9:03 AM, ForgiLaGeord said:

I don't have a fix, but I can confirm I'm seeing the same issue with the clouds. I have scatterer, the latest official build of EVE, the last version of the default EVE configs, and planetshine.

Oh, that's an eve bug.  It requires a source modification to fix, sadly.  As I have no intention of maintaining eve, I'll just post some binaries and state the following:

http://glacialsoftware.net/ScattererBuilds/PATCHED_EVE_BUILDS/

License: Some GNU, mostly MIT, see contents of Source folder included in archive.

Edited by R-T-B

6 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Oh, that's an eve bug.  It requires a source modification to fix, sadly.  As I have no intention of maintaining eve, I'll just post some binaries and state the following:

http://glacialsoftware.net/ScattererBuilds/PATCHED_EVE_BUILDS/

License: Some GNU, mostly MIT, see contents of Souce folder included in archive.

I do have Kopernicus too (Outer Planets) - I'll check this out.  Thanks!  If anyone else wants to tackle it and update, it'd be welcome.  Thanks all! 

10 hours ago, Saybur Stuff said:

I do have Kopernicus too (Outer Planets) - I'll check this out.  Thanks!  If anyone else wants to tackle it and update, it'd be welcome.  Thanks all! 

Yeah, our Kopernicus fork is official but it's in active development, so a lot of these may be past bugs that could be fixed by just making sure you are running the latest build.

The newest builds are as a general rule, a lot farther along than those a few days ago.

Edited by R-T-B

7 hours ago, yee said:

could you make a version of this mod for 1.10

Look one page back in this thread, one of blackrack's posts (ignore my post if you've already seen it) has a link to a .dll file which you need replace with the one in your already existing 1.9 scatterer. It works good enough and there are no game breaking issues. However, you'll have to wait till an official version since that's considered 'temporary'. Backup your save as usual. :) 

Hi there, I'm using Scatterer with AVP and the Sunflares of Maar sunflare replacements in KSP 1.8 and keep having issues with sunflares disappearing in-flight whenever I'm within any atmospheric effect. I was just wondering if it would be possible to stop scatterer from trying to overwrite sunflares while within atmospheres, or at least limit the effect to the specific bodies where it would make sense. For example, I'm using Astronomers Visual Pack, which adds ablation effects around Moho. While within this cloud, sunflares completely disappear, which really takes away from the effect of being so close to the sun. Thanks for anything and sorry if my post makes no sense, I hardly know what I'm talking about here...

Edited by RyGuy_McFly

On 7/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, blackrack said:
On 7/2/2020 at 4:56 AM, It'snorocketscience said:

Is anyone else having issues using Scatterer in 1.10? I'm thinking of making a bug report, but maybe the mod just isn't compatible with 1.10 yet and I should wait...

I haven't looked at 1.10 yet. I saw KSP's changelog and I don't expect to run into any major issues.

KSP 1.10 on Windows 7 (i.e. old DX11), everything works fine for me. 

Hey guys, recently installed spectra after running with default eve + scatterer settings, and I want the defaults back for Kerbin and Duna.

I got a good answer in the Spectra thread, but am interested in actually perhaps mixing the two settings now, but I have no idea what any of the atmo.cfg parameters do. I've compared the two in n++ but can't really make anything out of it, since the variables have very cryptic names.

Could someone help me out with a brief hint towards what each of the config options does, or is there a guide published somewhere that explains what each of them do? Many thanks

EDIT: To be more clear, what I'm interested in keeping from default scatterer is the brilliant and vibrant sunsets on Kerbin and the haziness of Duna. For Kerbin I found 

rimBlend = 20
rimpower = 600

Which is much higher than the spectra settings, so maybe that is the correct one to change back? (my thinking is that "rim" in this instance refers to the transition between the light side and the dark side.

And as to getting default Duna, completely lost there, though I do want to keep the dust storms Spectra talks about, but I don't know if changing Scatterer settings would affect that (although I also doubt that scatterer has any functionality of that sort)

Edited by Vivalas

I had Scatterer + Astronomer's installed with and without the .dll in my 1.10 game and I am getting some flickering oceans at high altitudes in a small square around engine exhausts. I uninstalled Scatterer to wait for the official 1.10 version but I could reinstall scatterer and provide the log + screenshot if that would help.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:29 AM, blackrack said:

Alright everyone, so as @Phineas Freak said this is an issue with the camera's far clip plane.

Now, why do we still see the planet but not the scatterer effect after the limit distance you ask? It's simple, you are seeing the scaledSpace planet. Due to blending considerations, scatterer will apply the effect either in local or scaled but not the two at the same time, so when the clip plane of the local camera "eats" the local scenery, it eats the scatterer effect with it.

To fix this, there are 2 solutions:

1) As proposed by @Phineas Freak here, we can increase the far clip plane. This is a good solution but also has a downside.. You see when we increase the gap between far and clip plane we "spread" the depth buffer precision even further resulting in potentially more z-fighting artifacts and blurrier shadows.

2) A second solution is to simply deactivate the PQS and switch to scaledSpace before reaching the altitude where we reach the far clip plane limitations. The issue with this is that we switch to scaledSpace sooner and so, we have less details to look at, at low altitude. Here is a MM Kopernicus patch I made (very quickly) to switch to scaledSpace earlier, I tested this on 6.4x rescale and it seems to be fine, although the transition could be worked on:

@Kopernicus:FINAL:NEEDS[Kopernicus]
{
    @Body[Kerbin]
    {
		@PQS
		{
			fadeStart = 40000
			fadeEnd =   50000
			deactivateAltitude = 50000
		}
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			fadeStart = 40000
			fadeEnd   = 50000
		}
    }
}

On 3.2x rescale the values probably don't need to be as extreme. You could probably get away with switching around 110km

They are completely unrelated so scatterer doesn't take it into account. I could either implement a miminum value or try to use the existing brightnessCurve.

where exactly and how do you do this, i have to create a new .cfg file? or i modify some scatterer or kopernicus config?? im completely noob with programing code so i dont have idea please help me

16 hours ago, mor128 said:

I had Scatterer + Astronomer's installed with and without the .dll in my 1.10 game and I am getting some flickering oceans at high altitudes in a small square around engine exhausts. I uninstalled Scatterer to wait for the official 1.10 version but I could reinstall scatterer and provide the log + screenshot if that would help.

Yeah that's happening to me as well, it seems like the new update somehow "broke" Scatterer, i'd wait for an official update.