[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

25 minutes ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

The water looks a bit...flourecent?

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Oh my GOD IS THIS GORGEOUS!

I just have a quick question, though: Is the fog supposed to be this bright in the background?

On the mountains, it doesn't look that bad, but grass is a bit bright.

Other than that, this mod makes KSP look better than ever. Here are some more shots I took on that test flight:

Very nice colors on the atmosphere!

And this... this is just an indescribable feast for the eyes!

Fantastic work!

Right, so it seems to be the 1/4 scattering option causing this. Just disable it for now, fix in the works.

49 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

First quick test with latest JNSQ, Tracking Station tabbing through all celestials:
Everything fine but the gas giants + Eve, they render black with a thin halo.

btw if I understood correctly I just could remove all .half files inside JNSQ and be good?

Not sure about the black clouds here, if it's not just a config issue then a full bug report would be nice. You can delete the .half files.

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

First quick test with latest JNSQ, Tracking Station tabbing through all celestials:
Everything fine but the gas giants + Eve, they render black with a thin halo.

btw if I understood correctly I just could remove all .half files inside JNSQ and be good?

The clouds also don't appear to change colour with sunsets, but that could be the configs just showing their age - JNSQ's scatterer and EVE integration has not been updated in quite a while.
Right, full bug report. Gotta spin up a clean install.
...or not? hm. It's kinda late rn, someone hit me up tomorrow.

Edited by RyanRising

59 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

@blackrack Does the new version only work in 1.12? If so, is there any chance for the release for older versions?

Yep 1.12 only due to a new unity feature. In theory it's possible for older versions but I don't see much point spending time on it since 1.12 is the "final" ksp version.

Hi there, as always, a crazy good job, Blackrack, thanks !

Though, I do have an issue, that is visible in this video : I warptime to show that it's not related to ambient lightning and I switched off/on craft lights to show that it's not related to this either.

My crafts are flickering. I've tried deleting the new Scatterer to re-use the scatterer-0.0772, and it works fine, then I retry Scatterer.0.0825b and got the same issue. No mods were added in between, same install, just scatterer being updated.

Any idea ? I really would like to benefit from the update for my upcoming video, but this flickering is too visible. Otherwise, damn, that looks ever more beautiful than before, atmosphere-wise :o !

Ah, mandatory, my GameData

dnzWDuD.png

As well as the KSP.Log : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uaeU-YBk-Ra1JmfMCkhX86Ome_doTVAW/view?usp=sharing

I've also tried some workaround found here, but it did not do anything, might be not related ^^ Flickering (craft) shadow problem - Technical Support (PC, unmodded installs) - Kerbal Space Program Forums

Edited by Dakitess

2 hours ago, Dakitess said:

Hi there, as always, a crazy good job, Blackrack, thanks !

Though, I do have an issue, that is visible in this video : I warptime to show that it's not related to ambient lightning and I switched off/on craft lights to show that it's not related to this either.

My crafts are flickering. I've tried deleting the new Scatterer to re-use the scatterer-0.0772, and it works fine, then I retry Scatterer.0.0825b and got the same issue. No mods were added in between, same install, just scatterer being updated.

Any idea ? I really would like to benefit from the update for my upcoming video, but this flickering is too visible. Otherwise, damn, that looks ever more beautiful than before, atmosphere-wise :o !

Ah, mandatory, my GameData

dnzWDuD.png

As well as the KSP.Log : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uaeU-YBk-Ra1JmfMCkhX86Ome_doTVAW/view?usp=sharing

I've also tried some workaround found here, but it did not do anything, might be not related ^^ Flickering (craft) shadow problem - Technical Support (PC, unmodded installs) - Kerbal Space Program Forums

Hmm that's weird. The fact that the waterfall light beam is also flickering makes me think this issue is external to scatterer. Can you try this without physics range extender? Do you have other crafts with the physics loaded nearby (this causes the floating point origin to be moved to be halfway between the loaded crafts iirc)?

Nope, none other craft were loaded in this save, it was the only one.

What is the "waterfall light beam" you are talking about ?

I'll try right now without PRE :)

Edit : same without PRE. Mmh what could have changed in the last release that might be the issue ? Weird !

Edited by Dakitess

40 minutes ago, Dakitess said:

Nope, none other craft were loaded in this save, it was the only one.

What is the "waterfall light beam" you are talking about ?

I'll try right now without PRE :)

Edit : same without PRE. Mmh what could have changed in the last release that might be the issue ? Weird !

The volumetric light at the front of the craft. On rewatch I realize that it's not flickering, it's just blinking slowly but on time warp it blinks fast and looks like flickering, so forget what I said :D

Can't think of anything I changed that would cause this, and since I don't get this with stock, I suggest you remove some mods until you find the culprit interaction.

Also maybe mess with the scatterer shadow settings? Try the scatterer very high preset?

Edited by blackrack

31 minutes ago, blackrack said:

The volumetric light at the front of the craft. On rewatch I realize that it's not flickering, it's just blinking slowly but on time warp it blinks fast and looks like flickering, so forget what I said :D

Can't think of anything I changed that would cause this, and since I don't get this with stock, I suggest you remove some mods until you find the culprit interaction.

Also maybe mess with the scatterer shadow settings? Try the scatterer very high preset?

Okay, without TU / TURD for the shiny part, there is no issue, no flickering :)

I'll retry with TU + TURD with Scatterer at the highest setting, as this is what I was using with the previous version.

If it does not work, do you think that's something that can be fixed through Scatterer update ? 

Thanks again !

3 minutes ago, Dakitess said:

Okay, without TU / TURD for the shiny part, there is no issue, no flickering :)

I'll retry with TU + TURD with Scatterer at the highest setting, as this is what I was using with the previous version.

If it does not work, do you think that's something that can be fixed through Scatterer update ? 

Thanks again !

Don't really know tbh, but waiting to see what you find.

30 minutes ago, RhodeWithBrim said:

Having some issues with the new version on KSRSS (Not sure whether this is an issue that the KSRSS guys gotta solve)
but the gas giants, Mars and titan's atmospheres are completely broken and look like this.

KSRSS has to update their configs.

5 minutes ago, Dakitess said:

Unfortunately, still flickering with the Very High preset. Except if it's required to relaunch the game after changing the preset ?

Not required, well I guess it's a bug then. If you can just add an issue here (you can just link/copy the forum post since it has all the details): https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues

[snip] i like the hdr thingy and gizmos but theres one conception of it making IVA'S so pixel ish the avionics looks so pixelish which i dont like in my opinion.  i consider using the scatter version 0.0772 like the new one makes it so bright aswell its almost like having tufx.

plz fix the pixely iva and the brightness of athmosphere

Edited by Vanamonde

New update's brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I've just begun fiddling with it myself. 

Edit: I've run up into trouble with some of the antialiasing features - disabling both of them entirely leaves my game oddly blurry and flicker-y, as (kinda) seen in the linked clip and as seen in the images, almost like heat waves; but enabling only subpixel antialiasing causes everything to be absolutely sharp to the pixel scale, which is kind of the opposite effect I want. Is there a way to simply not use Scatterer's new antialiasing at all and default to the stock system?

https://imgur.com/a/HxzwJAq

screenshot309.png

screenshot310.png

EDIT 2, details of what I've been able to surmise:

- minor "heat wave" wavering effect regardless of antialiasing settings any way
- temporal antialiasing causes an intense blurring "heat wave" effect that's worse with movement or far zoom
- subpixel antialiasing seems to do nothing or very little alone at all
- stock antialiasing resets on every scene change
- stock antialiasing + subpixel antialiasing gets closest to pre-Scatterer look, but causes a thin black horizon line on areas where land intersects the horizon (not ocean) as pictured below

I can get to drumming up my log file should it provide useful, but in my mind the thing to point directly to is the new antialiasing features not present previously as the culprit.

EDIT 3: Here's the log from the boot-up seen below - both new AA types turned off, stock AA set to 8 but didn't initially render on new scenes and had to be turned off and on again to apply in each scene - and with stock AA came the black line where land meets horizon. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zOGnq5mgogyuYfF7gLVtql_Fhp8H-G9n/view?usp=sharing

Of note in all this is that my system is rescaled - Kerbin and all other bodies are 1.69x their stock size, if that makes any difference to things.

screenshot311.png

As always, thank you for all the work you do - even with the nitpicks and the new AA's apparent dislike of me, the tools being inside the game is going to revolutionize modding not just for me, but for a lot of people looking to design their own visuals without going file-digging.

Edited by wisdomsavingthrow

3 hours ago, Dioso said:

plz fix the pixely iva and the brightness of athmosphere

The brightness should have been addressed in the hotfix. It worked for me, at least. Are you using configs other than Scatterer's basic ones? They may need to be updated first, different atmosphere model and all that.

As for the IVAs, I tried those before I made my bug report. Granted, it wasn't extensive testing, but I had no problems whatsoever with them.

For the record: This is what the atmosphere is supposed to look like:
nKDf1zc.png

...and here's what IVAs look like:
aUB4Z4Z.png

However, @blackrack, I can confirm that TU shaders flicker a bit. I noticed that on the planetshine while taking the screenshots.

Edited by Delay

8 hours ago, wisdomsavingthrow said:

New update's brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I've just begun fiddling with it myself. 

Edit: I've run up into trouble with some of the antialiasing features - disabling both of them entirely leaves my game oddly blurry and flicker-y, as (kinda) seen in the linked clip and as seen in the images, almost like heat waves; but enabling only subpixel antialiasing causes everything to be absolutely sharp to the pixel scale, which is kind of the opposite effect I want. Is there a way to simply not use Scatterer's new antialiasing at all and default to the stock system?

https://imgur.com/a/HxzwJAq

EDIT 2, details of what I've been able to surmise:

- minor "heat wave" wavering effect regardless of antialiasing settings any way
- temporal antialiasing causes an intense blurring "heat wave" effect that's worse with movement or far zoom
- subpixel antialiasing seems to do nothing or very little alone at all
- stock antialiasing resets on every scene change
- stock antialiasing + subpixel antialiasing gets closest to pre-Scatterer look, but causes a thin black horizon line on areas where land intersects the horizon (not ocean) as pictured below

I can get to drumming up my log file should it provide useful, but in my mind the thing to point directly to is the new antialiasing features not present previously as the culprit.

EDIT 3: Here's the log from the boot-up seen below - both new AA types turned off, stock AA set to 8 but didn't initially render on new scenes and had to be turned off and on again to apply in each scene - and with stock AA came the black line where land meets horizon. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zOGnq5mgogyuYfF7gLVtql_Fhp8H-G9n/view?usp=sharing

Of note in all this is that my system is rescaled - Kerbin and all other bodies are 1.69x their stock size, if that makes any difference to things.

As always, thank you for all the work you do - even with the nitpicks and the new AA's apparent dislike of me, the tools being inside the game is going to revolutionize modding not just for me, but for a lot of people looking to design their own visuals without going file-digging.

Thanks. So yeah the thing about the depth buffer mode (what enables a big speedup since a few versions back) and the new blending is that they are both incompatible with MSAA (the stock AA) so scatterer disables it on scene changes. If you re-enable it after scene changes you will indeed see that it causes aliasing around objects and around the horizon so it's no bueno. Thr only alternatives left are SMAA and TAA. SMAA works well enough for me at 1440p that I consider it viable, TAA looks better in motion and I personally play with it if I can keep fps above 30, but when fps drops it causes trails and I haven't looked into it. Another option may be to use FXAA through TUFX. These are just the normal limitations of these rendering methods. For the shimmering I will see if I can reproduce it next time

17 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Here's my log and a few screenshots from a minimal JNSQ install. Eve, Lindor, and Jool are all black in flight and map view.

Is this just a case of configs needing to be updated?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B0Lj1t8ukVlmknyqNuppxIMy2H5KVeRt?usp=sharing

Yep

Edited by blackrack

7 hours ago, blackrack said:

SMAA works well enough for me at 1440p that I consider it viable

Is there anything that'd cause SMAA to straight-up not work at all? I have it enabled, the *game* looks fine, just that my crafts now are incredibly crusty as if AA isn't on at all. Is it compatible with OpenGL? I use that.

screenshot307.png

(pictured: that same space station, with SMAA ostensibly enabled, acting entirely un-antialiased)

2 minutes ago, wisdomsavingthrow said:

Is there anything that'd cause SMAA to straight-up not work at all? I have it enabled, the *game* looks fine, just that my crafts now are incredibly crusty as if AA isn't on at all. Is it compatible with OpenGL? I use that.

(pictured: that same space station, with SMAA ostensibly enabled, acting entirely un-antialiased)

I can't really tell from the image, but it looks also blurry, like it's using the wrong resolution or something.

Can you make a side by side comparison with it on/off? And also did you maybe resize the window mid flight or something that may have caused a resolution change?

25 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Can you make a side by side comparison with it on/off? And also did you maybe resize the window mid flight or something that may have caused a resolution change?

I can go ahead and do that, yeah. I've stuck through with the same resolution as I always do, fullscreen 1920x1090. I'll throw together a quick comparison of a smaller, less complex craft with it on, off, and with stock AA on to show how AA typically looks for me - will edit in when I do so, booting up now.

EDIT 1: AA as seen in orbit on a small station, 3 images

1. SMAA "enabled" (note sharp edges on solar panels)
screenshot308.png

2. SMAA "disabled" (no AA, same sharp edges)
screenshot309.png

3. Stock AA 8x, feat. funni black horizon line (as an example of how my normal AA usually looks
screenshot310.png

EDIT 2: SMAA at the launchpad

"disabled"
screenshot311.png

"enabled"
screenshot312.png

Note the sharp pixels on the VAB door and the SPH roof, in both, as well as the aforementioned panel stuff.

Trying TUFX now.

Edited by wisdomsavingthrow

3 minutes ago, wisdomsavingthrow said:

I can go ahead and do that, yeah. I've stuck through with the same resolution as I always do, fullscreen 1920x1090. I'll throw together a quick comparison of a smaller, less complex craft with it on, off, and with stock AA on to show how AA typically looks for me - will edit in when I do so, booting up now.

If you can make a comparison around KSC during the day, I find it shows aliasing the clearest.

Also if you can try disabling scatterer's SMAA and enabling the one from TUFX

Edited by blackrack