[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

23 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Also if you can try disabling scatterer's SMAA and enabling the one from TUFX

OKAY! I've fiddled with it, and from what I can tell there's a tiny, *very* imperceptible change from no AA to SMAA, in both Scatterer and my game. How do I crank SMAA up about 10 times? It's basically doing a very small amount of the AA I would like.

TUFX SMAA on:
screenshot313.png

TUFX SMAA off:
screenshot314.png

Scatterer's is the same, but requires a scene change back to the Space Center to toggle it for me, so it's harder to illustrate. Look at the struts between the long panels, how discombobulated they are in both. For comparison, here's a shot from my prior settings, back in Scatterer version 0.06something, with the same station from a similar angle:
screenshot305.png

6 minutes ago, wisdomsavingthrow said:

OKAY! I've fiddled with it, and from what I can tell there's a tiny, *very* imperceptible change from no AA to SMAA, in both Scatterer and my game. How do I crank SMAA up about 10 times? It's basically doing a very small amount of the AA I would like.

TUFX SMAA on:

TUFX SMAA off:

Scatterer's is the same, but requires a scene change back to the Space Center to toggle it for me, so it's harder to illustrate. Look at the struts between the long panels, how discombobulated they are in both. For comparison, here's a shot from my prior settings, back in Scatterer version 0.06something, with the same station from a similar angle:

Hmm that's weird, the difference is really miniscule.

In my game the SMAA looks very similar to 2x the game's AA (old screenshot below)

NYPhgnK.png

Don't know what else to suggest, have you tried setting the scatterer SMAA on high?

6 minutes ago, wisdomsavingthrow said:

As far as I can tell it's on high - 2 being the highest setting, yes?

Yes. I just saw that you edited your previous post as well, will go check it out.

Edited: yeah it's not working. Just looked at the log file. Is there a reason you're running OpenGL? It appears you're on windows. You'll easily get double the performance on Dx11.

Edited by blackrack

Do we know, could DX12 be an issue? I know you said in the thread it's built for DX11, maybe something about 12 messes with it.

Edit: ah. yeah. Think that's it. Testing with forced DX11. If that turns out to be the problem I'm either gonna laugh or start crying.

22 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Is there a reason you're running OpenGL? It appears you're on windows. You'll easily get double the performance on Dx11.

The funky shadows. OpenGL's shadows beyond physics range of the ground are crisp and sharp. non-OpenGL's do the thing where you zoom out and they get blurry, and given the scale I build on all my crafts would look all dark and gross, unless I missed a fix, which we'll see when my game loads with DX11.

EDIT 2: Running on DX11. No change, SMAA still causes very little visible effect. I'll do another boot and drop the log file.

Edited by wisdomsavingthrow

21 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Here's my log and a few screenshots from a minimal JNSQ install. Eve, Lindor, and Jool are all black in flight and map view.

Is this just a case of configs needing to be updated?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B0Lj1t8ukVlmknyqNuppxIMy2H5KVeRt?usp=sharing

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

Yep

Shoot -- Just confirming that in my game. 

I won't hold my breath for official updates (although they should, dang it can look so wonderful!), but hopefully somebody (or me) takes a stab at it by the time I start planning trips to Eve or far beyond in my current game :D

23 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Here's my log and a few screenshots from a minimal JNSQ install. Eve, Lindor, and Jool are all black in flight and map view.

Is this just a case of configs needing to be updated?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B0Lj1t8ukVlmknyqNuppxIMy2H5KVeRt?usp=sharing

It's not just those, all of the planets with atmosphere are affected one way or another (except Kerbin and Duna - those are fine). But those are the main ones that go dark, I guess.

What I find weird is that if I open the EVE menu and apply the clouds (literally just hit apply, without making any changes), the issue of black clouds goes away (though Laythe is still the "wrong" color), at least in the tracking station view (and until I switch to another scene). It's like the EVE clouds configs from JNSQ are somehow getting ignored.

The sunflare included in JNSQ is also broken by this update, it shows weird artifacts in the KSC scene. 

Edited by Grimmas

@blackrackThis might not be all that important to you, but given that AA seems to cause problems for some, this might actually offer some insight?

I disabled the game's native AA in the KSC scene, went back to the main menu and got greeted by this cursed mess:
UdCny9N.png

So at least the game's AA needs to be enabled for any antialiasing to take place.

49 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

What I find weird is that if I open the EVE menu and apply the clouds (literally just hit apply, without making any changes), the issue of black clouds goes away

That just kills the integration of scatterer in eve shaders

20 minutes ago, Delay said:

@blackrackThis might not be all that important to you, but given that AA seems to cause problems for some, this might actually offer some insight?

I disabled the game's native AA in the KSC scene, went back to the main menu and got greeted by this cursed mess:

So at least the game's AA needs to be enabled for any antialiasing to take place.

Already been reported https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/140

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Is there any possibility of some sort of backwards compatibility or defaults or something? I feel like the chances of the KSRSS team dealing with this any time soon are basically zero.

Can't be fully backwards compatible in this case, there has been some big changes and that's how it is. I honestly suggest you just try to fix them yourself, I'm sure it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes of fiddling with the in-game UI to fix them, likely just have to make the atmos taller or thinner, or just increase the color mutlipliers on the clouds. Or just start from another working config and copy over the color of the old config.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

That just kills the integration of scatterer in eve shaders

I'm sure it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes of fiddling with the in-game UI to fix them, likely just have to make the atmos taller or thinner, or just increase the color mutlipliers on the clouds. Or just start from another working config and copy over the color of the old config.

Well, excrements. Is there any way to mess with EVE values in game that won't break the Scatterer shader integration? I've quite literally spent the last four hours (so you can imagine how amused I was reading about "5 minutes") trying to get JNSQ planets to work with the new Scatterer release, and I've changed every possible Scatterer value. I've created some really monstrous atmospheres, but the only thing that shows promise so far is the _Color value of the clouds in EVE, except that having to restart KSP every time I change it isn't helping to speed things along.

8 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Well, excrements. Is there any way to mess with EVE values in game that won't break the Scatterer shader integration? I've quite literally spent the last four hours (so you can imagine how amused I was reading about "5 minutes") trying to get JNSQ planets to work with the new Scatterer release, and I've changed every possible Scatterer value. I've created some really monstrous atmospheres, but the only thing that shows promise so far is the _Color value of the clouds in EVE, except that having to restart KSP every time I change it isn't helping to speed things along.

Did you play with cloudColorMultiplier, cloudScatteringMultiplier and cloudSkyIrradianceMultiplier in scatterer? Did you try just slapping Kerbin's default atmo on your planet and see if it works?

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

Did you play with cloudColorMultiplier, cloudScatteringMultiplier and cloudSkyIrradianceMultiplier in scatterer? Did you try just slapping Kerbin's default atmo on your planet and see if it works?

Multipliers - no, I did not see such values in the in-game UI of EVE or scatterer. I was changing all of the values exposed under "Config points" and "Atmosphere" in the in-game UI, like the exposure/extinction/alpha/godrays/Rim/atmo height/rayleigh/mie/HR etc. Are these new values, maybe they are not exposed in the UI and only available in the text config?

Kerbin default atmo - it's a long shot but I'll try that next, probably tomorrow as I'm too burned out on this stuff now. 

Thanks for the tips!

Hi blackrack, the new update looks amazing. I really appreciate your work on it, brings KSP visuals to a whole new level IMO.

Sorry to bring this up again, but the thing is, the flag issue still seems to exist in the latest update unfortunately. Would you know anything I can try with the settings to fix this? 

umXcqpc.png

gk1Nnov.png

I have installed this mod and I would say it's a magnificent surprise which brings much more glamour to the game. However I have encountered with a small problem: when I opened orbital space station at 120km in the game and I found it was colored blue just like the higher atmosphere around it. And I tried to adjust the altitude and discovered that the blueish color only appears when the crafts gradually approaches the altitude of 120km. And when the crafts is higher than a fixed altitude like 128km the color disappears and everything returns normal. I haven’t tested it on other atmo-planets but I guess it is something about the rendering of atmosphere and 128km is a set value for kerbin. I will put the pictures below. Also I am wondering if I’m the only one who have this problem haha

pic 1. this is how the craft turns blue. The color is just the same as the higher atmo.

aUauqDE.png

pic 2. The craft is passing through the altitude of 128km, upon which there is no odd color problems

sefly0z.png

10 minutes ago, AkatsukiMana said:

I have installed this mod and I would say it's a magnificent surprise which brings much more glamour to the game. However I have encountered with a small problem: when I opened orbital space station at 120km in the game and I found it was colored blue just like the higher atmosphere around it. And I tried to adjust the altitude and discovered that the blueish color only appears when the crafts gradually approaches the altitude of 120km. And when the crafts is higher than a fixed altitude like 128km the color disappears and everything returns normal. I haven’t tested it on other atmo-planets but I guess it is something about the rendering of atmosphere and 128km is a set value for kerbin. I will put the pictures below. Also I am wondering if I’m the only one who have this problem haha

pic 1. this is how the craft turns blue. The color is just the same as the higher atmo.

aUauqDE.png

pic 2. The craft is passing through the altitude of 128km, upon which there is no odd color problems

sefly0z.png

I've experienced a similar bug in the atmospheres of some planets.

I have experienced a problem with the scatterer menu. I realize it is probably an issue with my screen resolution. It basicially does not fully fit onto my screen due to the size of it and when I click it it sort of oscillates, making it impossible to use it. Can you please help?  By the way I am on Mac in version 1.12.2 with the latest scatterer version.

Image of the problem:

eCL8gM3.png

The blue low orbit effect seems to be coming from the most recent update, didn't get such an effect with the previous version (0.0772). I thought it might have just been GPP incompatibility but it could be stock as well. Augustus, Gratian and Niven atmospheres now look almost identical from space. Could probably be fixed by GPP accommodating the changes, but that doesn't explain the blue tinting in low orbits.

Edited by Telvee32

1 hour ago, TRAPPIST-1E said:

I have experienced a problem with the scatterer menu. I realize it is probably an issue with my screen resolution.

With a resolution that low, there's not much we can do. You could try editing the config files in GameData instead, since the in-game menu is basically a display of those (depending on what mods you have installed, either the default scatterer configs or the ones that came with your planet mod or visual mods).

38 minutes ago, TRAPPIST-1E said:

Well, I realize that, but I was wondering if there was a way to resize the menu. Also, the only part where I have an issue is at the atmosphere node

As far as I can tell, the GUI size is hardcoded in GUI/GUIhandler.cs so you'd have to recompile the entire plugin DLL to resize the window. It depends on your comfort level with Visual Studio, but it's probably more effort than it's worth. 

The latest version of Scatterer seems to not be working properly with OPM and SVE. I'm not sure where to post about this so I'm posting about this both in the SVE forum and here. Sorry if this is irritating .

Laythe's clouds are fine in some places but are bright red or yellow in others. This happens weather or not OPM is installed.

Spoiler

EGxUmKv.png

9KxodP5.png

Teko is actullay sort of improved because there actually is atmospheric scattering for it in the first place but its clouds are black.

Spoiler

wbl2d9m.png

WzMU2y7.png

Urlum is now a very dark green and texturless.

Spoiler

V2267nn.png

QYNMsbJ.png

Sarnus and Neiden are both greener than usually but I was able to fix that by adjusting thier Scatterer configs.

I would include a log file with all of this but, I don't know which one I need to include or how to include it. Sorry.

Edit:

I figured out how to find and post the Player.log and the output_log  so here it is:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R8vd2bZa-JEZqSEOHZv3_PIypm_UgAyp?usp=sharing

Also I just want to say that the new version is absolutly amazing. I especially appreciate the fix to the  horizon like artifacts visible through the terrain.

Edited by Ozzy.R