[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

2 hours ago, Matteo391 said:

You can send me a link to 0.08x version?

It's currently removed for a (hopefully temporary) GPL issue, but if you check your PM inbox, you might find some help in the meantime... ;)

19 hours ago, blackrack said:

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, but the simplest way to change brightness is to increase skyExposure and scatteringExposure from the GUI as it says in that page I linked. This works even for old versions. Some example screenshots are right there in that same page.

I mean to reduce the brightness of the Kerbin from orbit so that it would not shine so much

On 2/14/2022 at 11:55 AM, Stolas said:

I mean to reduce the brightness of the Kerbin from orbit so that it would not shine so much

Hello Stolas,

You can take a look at this album to understand how to do you want to do.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Uz06VHo

Basic scatterer config:

Spoiler

Z7sdlbj.jpeg

Reduce scatteringExposure:

Spoiler

Ftr904E.jpeg

Reduce skyExposure to match with scatteringExposure:

Spoiler

JBjbVxI.jpeg

You can also reduce shininess of ocean:

Spoiler

Tw03pPs.jpeg

Don't forget to do that at your last config point if you just tweak brightness in space:

Spoiler

junyAXT.jpeg

Edited by Vandest

Here's an annoying little bug:

On launch, everything seems fine.  Maybe a little excess brightness/saturation on UI elements, but I suspect that's Windows being weird.

However, if I make just about any change in KSP's graphics settings, the whole game gets significantly less bright and less saturated, and suddenly my ships become translucent.  See screenshot:

Spoiler

M3a365v.png

I thought it might be an issue with Textures Unlimited, but after removing TU (and 3 other mods that depended on it), the problem persisted.  Removed Scatterer, problem disappeared.

KSP.log from a subsequent test run with slightly older version Scatterer (v0.0830, problem returned): https://www.dropbox.com/s/hs574zsf570sj8k/KSP.log -scatterer transparency bug.txt?dl=0

Just now, Silvia Dragoness said:

Here's an annoying little bug:

On launch, everything seems fine.  Maybe a little excess brightness/saturation on UI elements, but I suspect that's Windows being weird.

However, if I make just about any change in KSP's graphics settings, the whole game gets significantly less bright and less saturated, and suddenly my ships become translucent.  See screenshot:

Hide contents

M3a365v.png

I thought it might be an issue with Textures Unlimited, but after removing TU (and 3 other mods that depended on it), the problem persisted.  Removed Scatterer, problem disappeared.

KSP.log from a subsequent test run with slightly older version Scatterer (v0.0830, problem returned): https://www.dropbox.com/s/hs574zsf570sj8k/KSP.log -scatterer transparency bug.txt?dl=0

It might not be the best possible result but man! That translucent rocket looks awesome!

4 hours ago, Silvia Dragoness said:

However, if I make just about any change in KSP's graphics settings, the whole game gets significantly less bright and less saturated, and suddenly my ships become translucent.

This is caused because of the Scatterer depth buffer mode, which is incompatible with the stock anti-aliasing, which is MSAA. Scatterer disables the MSAA on scene change and replaces it with it's own anti-aliasing. So when you change your settings, you re-apply the MSAA causing the visuals to break. This can be fixed with a scene change, so like a quicksave/quickload, or maybe giong into map veiw and then back. Or you could disable the Scatterer depth-buffer mode in the Scatterer menu, at the cost of having much worse preformance. Hope this works!

19 hours ago, Benzo Kerman said:

This is caused because of the Scatterer depth buffer mode, which is incompatible with the stock anti-aliasing, which is MSAA. Scatterer disables the MSAA on scene change and replaces it with it's own anti-aliasing. So when you change your settings, you re-apply the MSAA causing the visuals to break. This can be fixed with a scene change, so like a quicksave/quickload, or maybe giong into map veiw and then back. Or you could disable the Scatterer depth-buffer mode in the Scatterer menu, at the cost of having much worse preformance. Hope this works!

It’s no longer possible to disable the depth-buffer mode in the latest versions of Scatterer, is it?

1 hour ago, RyanRising said:

It’s no longer possible to disable the depth-buffer mode in the latest versions of Scatterer, is it?

Oh yeah, your right. However disabling the "Merge depth pre-pass" option still allows MSAA to work. But there is still no built in option for it in Scatterer.

10 hours ago, Benzo Kerman said:

Oh yeah, your right. However disabling the "Merge depth pre-pass" option still allows MSAA to work. But there is still no built in option for it in Scatterer.

To be clear, MSAA being incompatible now doesn't mean it stops working completely, it still works but you get artifacts and black edges with Scatterer effects (which you can actually see around the horizon in the screenshot posted) so I disable it on scene changes, if you reapply it manually you get those artifacts back. Haven't see this transparency issue before though.

@Silvia Dragonessif you apply the settings it might reapply msaa so set msaa to 0x (and also how often do you need to change your settings in-flight and why?)

Edited by blackrack

On 7/12/2021 at 11:21 AM, Diddly Feelerino said:

Should clarify; older iterations showed a clear flare over the stock sun (rather than it being front and centre); for example from JadeofMaars mod;

https://imgur.com/2U1t1nO

Already tried setting syntax =1 or deleting the line entirely but the central stock sun still ruins the flare. Almost as if it is in "front" of the flare rather than behind it.....

Have you found a solution to this problem?

2 hours ago, Grem said:

Have you found a solution to this problem?

I wouldn't say that this is a problem- I think it's meant to be that way. If you do want a different sunflare, you could still download Sunflares of Maar. Edit: I see you have posted in the Sunflares of Maar page as well, I can try to help over there.

Edited by Benzo Kerman

@Benzo Kerman

The fact is that I haven’t played for a while, maybe now everything works differently, but earlier I used JadeOfMaar’s solar flares for several years, and they looked great, as in the screenshots in his description:

Spoiler

1Hx4DXq.jpg

And now they don't work at all. I found a message that after some changes in Scatterer, you need to add a syntax exception to the configuration file:

Spoiler

GEOli3d.png

After that, the flashes partially worked, but as reported by many, only part of the effects are visible, the sun itself looks as if it had not changed:

https://imgur.com/a/DXQN7xd

so I'll start with the fact that after downloading the newest version of scatterer for ksp 1.11.2 (not version 0.8+), my game turned into a sea of pixels and older versions do not save settings that are not included in the list of scatterers in the game. what should I do?

I have the highest graphics settings in the game

screenshot15.png

4 hours ago, Stolas said:

so I'll start with the fact that after downloading the newest version of scatterer for ksp 1.11.2 (not version 0.8+), my game turned into a sea of pixels and older versions do not save settings that are not included in the list of scatterers in the game. what should I do?

I have the highest graphics settings in the game

screenshot15.png

You’re going to have to be a bit more specific, but by “sea of pixels” do you mean the artefacts you can see around edges and find details? If so, that’s caused by the default depth buffer mode, since it disables MSAA by default as mentioned above, and tries to compensate with SMAA. I don’t know what you mean by “settings that aren’t included in the list of scatterers in the game,” so I can’t offer any insight there.

@blackrack

So I am getting log spam from scatterer when loading some planet packs. JNSQ and Beyond home work fine and look great, but Galaxies Unbound and Precursors give me game crippling log spam as you can see from the links. Loading into the KSC doesnt give any errors but it starts immediately when entering flight mode or the tracking station and persists back at the KSC. I assume this is some kind of config issue. Any ideas?

ksp log

player log