[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Hello!

I haven't been on KSP for a while, and I kinda stopped playing after I really couldn't get my visual mods to work - the main problem being, is that the solar terminator (twilight) is tinted blue for me, kinda ruins it.
I believe this is an issue on Scatterer's side, sorry if this was already asked by someone else somewhere, didn't really check all pages.
twilight.png
(P. S. this is not a scatterer problem, but I do want to complain about how the image insertion system here is kinda weird)
Not sure if I can get logs, because I really don't know how.

Oh and my modlist rn is(should all be latest):

AVP + Textures
Textures Unlimited (i dont think its working)
Distant Object Enhancement
EVE(redux)
Kopernicus + ModularFlightIntegrator
PlanetShine
Scatterer + something called ScattererAtmosphereCache
Sigma Replacements? - didn't even want it, didn't put it there, fsr now its always appearing when i launch my game
Sunflares of Maar (not working)
ModuleManager
and the usual stock Squad and SquadExpansion(both)

Edited by gameskipper

15 hours ago, gameskipper said:

Hello!

I haven't been on KSP for a while, and I kinda stopped playing after I really couldn't get my visual mods to work - the main problem being, is that the solar terminator (twilight) is tinted blue for me, kinda ruins it.
I believe this is an issue on Scatterer's side, sorry if this was already asked by someone else somewhere, didn't really check all pages.
twilight.png
(P. S. this is not a scatterer problem, but I do want to complain about how the image insertion system here is kinda weird)

AVP + Textures
EVE(redux)
PlanetShine
Sigma Replacements? - didn't even want it, didn't put it there, fsr now its always appearing when i launch my game
ModuleManager

It looks fine for me. Is that a screenshot of the problem?

Also:

Texture Unlimited need configs to work, you can write your own or get ones for stock and mods with "Magpie mods" mod

Sigma replacements is for the skybox, IIRC AVP gives you the option of using that, Texture replacer or DiRT

I also cannot get Sunflares of Maar to work out of the box, maybe is because of outdated configs. What I do is to choose the sunflare that I like and copy the "Sun" folder and "Sun.cfg" to Scatterer->config->Sunflares

I hope this helps

1 hour ago, Firebird989 said:

It looks fine for me. Is that a screenshot of the problem?

Also:

Texture Unlimited need configs to work, you can write your own or get ones for stock and mods with "Magpie mods" mod

Sigma replacements is for the skybox, IIRC AVP gives you the option of using that, Texture replacer or DiRT

I also cannot get Sunflares of Maar to work out of the box, maybe is because of outdated configs. What I do is to choose the sunflare that I like and copy the "Sun" folder and "Sun.cfg" to Scatterer->config->Sunflares

I hope this helps

Thanks for the help with everything else!

But yes, as far as I know that twilight is supposed to be with an orange color, not blue, sort of as seen in this photo:
maxresdefault.jpg

18 hours ago, gameskipper said:

Hello!

twilight.png

AVP + Textures
EVE(redux)
PlanetShine
ModuleManager

Probably just delete the scatterer configs inside avp

1 hour ago, gameskipper said:

Thanks for the help with everything else!

But yes, as far as I know that twilight is supposed to be with an orange color, not blue, sort of as seen in this photo:
maxresdefault.jpg

43 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Probably just delete the scatterer configs inside avp

Well no that won't fix his problem. 

The reason his terminator doesn't look like its supposed to is because Sky Irradiance is set to 6 and that wipes out all the color on the Terminator. AVP has that setting set to 0.05 (among other settings that aren't right in that screenshot he shared)

As for why that happened, its because some other config in @gameskippers install is overriding it. I'd imagine its the prepackaged scatterer configs. 

But thats also something thats probably more due to AVP and how it set up its module manager patch. 

It has its atmo config set to this:

@Scatterer_atmosphere:BEFORE[AstronomersVisualPack]

when it should probably be something like this:

@Scatterer_atmosphere:LAST[scatterer]

TMK the way the syntax works is that using BEFORE AVP loads the AVP config before scatterer, but then scatterer comes in and overrides it, where as with LAST Scatterer it should load AVPs stuff last, after scatterer is loaded. 

@themaster401 may need to weigh in on that. 

55 minutes ago, G'th said:

Well no that won't fix his problem. 

The reason his terminator doesn't look like its supposed to is because Sky Irradiance is set to 6 and that wipes out all the color on the Terminator. AVP has that setting set to 0.05 (among other settings that aren't right in that screenshot he shared)

As for why that happened, its because some other config in @gameskippers install is overriding it. I'd imagine its the prepackaged scatterer configs. 

But thats also something thats probably more due to AVP and how it set up its module manager patch. 

It has its atmo config set to this:

@Scatterer_atmosphere:BEFORE[AstronomersVisualPack]

when it should probably be something like this:

@Scatterer_atmosphere:LAST[scatterer]

TMK the way the syntax works is that using BEFORE AVP loads the AVP config before scatterer, but then scatterer comes in and overrides it, where as with LAST Scatterer it should load AVPs stuff last, after scatterer is loaded. 

@themaster401 may need to weigh in on that. 

The latest AVP scatterer configs for the stock planets are just a copy paste of the default scatterer configs last I checked. Since he didn't report any other mods I assume he's using outdated AVP.

Either way he needs to delete/fix what is overriding the scatterer configs but no it's not the prepackaged scatterer configs. 

11 minutes ago, blackrack said:

The latest AVP scatterer configs for the stock planets are just a copy paste of the default scatterer configs last I checked. Since he didn't report any other mods I assume he's using outdated AVP.

Either way he needs to delete/fix what is overriding the scatterer configs but no it's not the prepackaged scatterer configs. 

No AVP does have different settings from default scatterer, but yes you are right that it isn't scatterer itself thats overriding his settings. He has an extra config hidden somewhere. 

I'd make a clean install @gameskipper

2 hours ago, G'th said:

No AVP does have different settings from default scatterer, but yes you are right that it isn't scatterer itself thats overriding his settings. He has an extra config hidden somewhere. 

I'd make a clean install @gameskipper

About making a clean install, I did do that. But blackrack's suggestion fixed it, for the most part. I'm fine with ignoring this, but Laythe has a weird line artifact when looking from behind...
unknown.png
If you need a screenshot notif me, but there's also a weird thing with Minmus, where when getting closer to it e.g. in the tracking station, it seems to change textures from a light tint to a darker, dirtier tint and then when getting even closer it makes a weird blob of a lighter texture

Edited by gameskipper

1 hour ago, gameskipper said:

About making a clean install, I did do that. But blackrack's suggestion fixed it, for the most part. I'm fine with ignoring this, but Laythe has a weird line artifact when looking from behind...
unknown.png
If you need a screenshot notif me, but there's also a weird thing with Minmus, where when getting closer to it e.g. in the tracking station, it seems to change textures from a light tint to a darker, dirtier tint and then when getting even closer it makes a weird blob of a lighter texture

That's a known issue with mie scattering, I haven't looked into fixing it. One solution is to lower mie (beta m_sca) but you'll change the planet's look and lose the glorious sunsets.

No idea about the minmus issue though.

Edited by blackrack

28 minutes ago, blackrack said:

That's a known issue with mie scattering, I haven't looked into fixing it. One solution is to lower mie (beta m_sca) but you'll change the planet's look and lose the glorious sunsets.

No idea about the minmus issue though.

Alr, yea, both issues arent that bad and can be simply ignored, thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, LegatusFlagrans said:

Encountered this really weird texture glitch on Kerbin earlier and only pops up when Scatterer is installed even in an otherwise clean install of KSP. Screenshot is running only Scatterer with no other mods.

unknown.png

Try disabling "adjustScaledTexture" in kerbin's settings

17 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Could you provide logs (with that setting on) and some info about your install? Never seen this issue before so curious what caused it.

Here's the log:

Insofar as my install info, what exactly are you looking for beyond what would be in the log?

1 minute ago, LegatusFlagrans said:

Here's the log:

Insofar as my install info, what exactly are you looking for beyond what would be in the log?

Actually not the install itself but if you did anything to trigger it or it's always there. I assume it's always there?

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

Actually not the install itself but if you did anything to trigger it or it's always there. I assume it's always there?

Only just noticed it, but yeah, even with a fresh install of the game.
Not sure how it escaped me before but it seems to be consistent.

Kinda related to scatterer, so I wanted to ask, scatterer seems to not be removing the stock sunflare, even if I added sunflare mods.

Note: I found a forum where a person had sent a .cfg file that fixed it, however now that file is deleted and I can't get it...

3 hours ago, gameskipper said:

Kinda related to scatterer, so I wanted to ask, scatterer seems to not be removing the stock sunflare, even if I added sunflare mods.

Note: I found a forum where a person had sent a .cfg file that fixed it, however now that file is deleted and I can't get it...

What sunflares mods are you using?

25 minutes ago, gameskipper said:

Sunflares of Maar, I've seen this issue elsewhere so I decided to ask here since this forum is newer and hence a bit more reliable.

Yes, I don't know an easy solution. What I do is use a pre-made cfg (Like the ones in Kabrams sunflares, those work flawlessly), copying over the PNGs of Sunflares of Maar and then using the in game scatterer editor (Alt+F10) to adjust the parameters to my liking.

2 hours ago, chaos113 said:

does scatterer have built in clouds? i installed it and im only getting the blue atmosphere and water but no clouds

No. You need to add a different mod - EVE or EVE Redux - for clouds.

I'm getting a weird issue in 2.5x GPP (and TUFX), wondering if it's a scatterer thing, or a config issue due to rescaling.

images in spoiler:

Spoiler

1: in orbit, sun is about to rise:

UmBIwN1.jpg

2: as soon as the sun clears the main body of the planet, but not past the atmosphere, everything goes black, including glowing parts:

rtGKzeD.jpg

3: past the atmosphere, it's back to normal with an orange sunrise:

Un7RnM9.jpg