[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

36 minutes ago, Vandest said:

Hello @Rakete, this is a know issue. A workaround is to disable TAA (Tamporal AntiAliasing). You can use SMAA (Subpixel Morphological AntiAliasing) instead.

Ooookay... How do I do that? 

10 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Ooookay... How do I do that? 

It's an option in scatterers config menu.  I believe on the first page if you click "customize options" or whatever it is rather than just a preset.

23 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

It's an option in scatterers config menu.  I believe on the first page if you click "customize options" or whatever it is rather than just a preset.

Ah okay... does this other mode hit the fps hard? Is it also saved to the config file (in case i forget this setting thing later on?)

Can I do this also in v0772 ? I just learned, that I have use this version for compability with Spectra 1.5.0. Or does this version not use TAA?

Edited by Rakete

2 hours ago, Rakete said:

Ah okay... does this other mode hit the fps hard? Is it also saved to the config file (in case i forget this setting thing later on?)

I don't believe, may be 1 or 2 fps. And yes, it's saved in config file, set "useSubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasing" to true. You can also set "smaaQuality" on 1 or 2 (lower = lower fps hit). (Of course, you also must set "useTemporalAntiAliasing" on false)

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

Can I do this also in v0772 ? I just learned, that I have use this version for compability with Spectra 1.5.0. Or does this version not use TAA?

I don't remember if it was present in 0772 but I don't believe. TAA was reintroduced in last update. So you shouldn't get this issue with Waterfall.

In case of, to simply see it, when you are on SpaceCenter you can click on blue planet in taskbar, that will open main Scatterer config and there you can click on "Customize" and see AA options. (On last version, you must untick TAA to tick SMAA after)

Also, like I said that post, you can use AVP instead Spectra by use my config or by inspiring by it. And so, you could use last version of Scatterer.

15 hours ago, Rakete said:

Ah okay... does this other mode hit the fps hard?

Technically SMAA is about the same expense on FPS as Temporal AA, so no, it should not be a difference in performance.

Scatterer used to have some in-game way to display and edit sunflare such as loading a different sun.cfg and changing ghosts. I can't find that setting screen any more. Where should I be looking?

I already tried alt-f11, picked customize, picked the sunflare tab. All I see on the sunflare tab is a single checkbox for lens flare shader.

FYI I'm using Scatterer 0.077xx (the last 0.07 before 0.08) because that's what KSRSS wants. Scatterer documentation says the in-game sunflare UI was added 0.0765 and I'm on newer version than that.

5 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Scatterer used to have some in-game way to display and edit sunflare such as loading a different sun.cfg and changing ghosts. I can't find that setting screen any more. Where should I be looking?

I already tried alt-f11, picked customize, picked the sunflare tab. All I see on the sunflare tab is a single checkbox for lens flare shader.

FYI I'm using Scatterer 0.077xx (the last 0.07 before 0.08) because that's what KSRSS wants. Scatterer documentation says the in-game sunflare UI was added 0.0765 and I'm on newer version than that.

In last scatterer is alt+F10 and is the button on the right in the top of the menu called "Sunflares"

47 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Do it in an other scene than the KSC one, in flight for example.

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Technically SMAA is about the same expense on FPS as Temporal AA, so no, it should not be a difference in performance.

SMAA is faster

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

SMAA is faster

I figured AA above FXAA was more or less the same in cost...  thanks, learn something new everyday.

7 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I figured AA above FXAA was more or less the same in cost...  thanks, learn something new everyday.

They are very close on a mid to high end GPU. On slower GPUs and iGPUs you can feel the difference though.

Despite disabling it in exchange for SMAA in the settings, TAA is turning itself on in flight whenever I open the map view, and only a scene change (like opening the tracking station or KSC) seems to turn it off again. I had a feeling it might be reverting itself to the High quality setting, which I was running before the custom changes, but when I went into all the presets in the default config itself and swapped the AA in the higher ones, it still persisted. I know TUFX has an issue with turning it off when the map view is opened, but I'm not using TUFX. Is anyone else seeing this? Could it be something in AVP doing it?

12 hours ago, Vandest said:

Hello @GJdude,

Did you try to open "config.cfg" in "GameData\Scatterer\config" and set manually this variables like this ?

useSubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasing = True
smaaQuality = 2
useTemporalAntiAliasing = False

That seems to have done the trick, yes!

Edit: Or not. At first things were fine but now it's back again.

Edited by GJdude

Oh ! Very strange.

1. Do you know exactly when is back to TAA after done the manually setting ?
  2. When is back to TAA, if  you open scatterer config on KSC, what do you see on current preset field ?
  3. Can you see this "back to TAA" in "config.cfg" ?

Also, can you post your "Player.log" file (see instructions below to find it), as well as your "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" file that is in GameData folder ?

21 hours ago, Vandest said:

Oh ! Very strange.

1. Do you know exactly when is back to TAA after done the manually setting ?
  2. When is back to TAA, if  you open scatterer config on KSC, what do you see on current preset field ?
  3. Can you see this "back to TAA" in "config.cfg" ?

Also, can you post your "Player.log" file (see instructions below to find it), as well as your "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" file that is in GameData folder ?

I've rolled some things back to a version where I can disable the depth buffer-based rendering entirely now, but if I get back to a newer version in future and this occurs again, I'll definitely look further into it.

• 3 weeks later...

@blackrack: In Scatterer-0.0835, the paths in GameData/Scatterer/config/Sunflares/Sun.cfg that point to the sunflare PNGs (all four of them) are incorrect on case-sensitive file systems, such as on Linux. Should be e.g. Scatterer/config/Sunflares/Sun/sunFlare.png. Note uppercase Scatterer, matching the directory name inside GameData. Everything else is correct, the whole path should just begin with an uppercase S.

I noticed the sunflare was missing on Linux, and upon investigation, there was an error in Player.log saying that the file was not found. Fixing all four paths in Sun.cfg made the sunflare appear, and the error went away.

This difference was probably left over from the time the directory used to be called scatterer with a lowercase s. :)

I searched this topic if anyone else had mentioned this, but didn't find anything, so I thought I'd let you know.

Many thanks for keeping Scatterer working all the way to KSP 1.12! This is one of the best visual mods out there.

@blackrackI posted a couple of issues on Github:

1. csproj file has an absolute path for one of the cs files
  2. ReferenceEquals is not properly detecting a null value in a few places, causing nullrefs to be generated.

I can do a PR for each if you'd like, but I'm concerned about the second issue.  ReferenceEquals is used 151 times in 34 files to check for null, if it's not working in some places, maybe it's causing issues elsewhere??

• 2 weeks later...

I am having an issue where about 1000m away from the camera, the entire surface goes blue. This issue persists up to ~150km on Kerbin, then the orbital textures kick in. You can check this video here to see what I mean.

This issue persists even when I only have Scatterer installed, as well as having other mods that might have influenced rendering (OPM, Kopernicus, GU, EVE, AVP) uninstalled. 

Would appreciate suggestions on how to fix this... Currently on the latest version of Scatterer for Windows, on KSP 1.12.2

Hi everyone, I've just installed scatterer for the first time and  a pretty nasty graphics glitch has occurred where objects seem to multiply themselves when I move the camera around... Here's an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l8Xr60-fSYq4_SimrAkeDgX5yWILxiV5/view?usp=sharing

I have other mods installed but the game runs fine until I installed scatterer. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) 

20 minutes ago, SaintPc said:

Hi everyone, I've just installed scatterer for the first time and  a pretty nasty graphics glitch has occurred where objects seem to multiply themselves when I move the camera around... Here's an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l8Xr60-fSYq4_SimrAkeDgX5yWILxiV5/view?usp=sharing

I have other mods installed but the game runs fine until I installed scatterer. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) 

Biggest help I can give is "logs, or it didn't happen". I don't know if @blackrack prefers KSP.log or Player.log, but the former is probably easier to find.

This is a general rule for all mods: without logs, us modders have no way of knowing what is going on on your machine (visuals aren't enough, nor is a screenshot of the debug window).

4 hours ago, taniwha said:

Biggest help I can give is "logs, or it didn't happen". I don't know if @blackrack prefers KSP.log or Player.log, but the former is probably easier to find.

This is a general rule for all mods: without logs, us modders have no way of knowing what is going on on your machine (visuals aren't enough, nor is a screenshot of the debug window).

Fair enough!

Here's the player log file: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19BL5-aCD0atOJRzKQyRm1gfoxyTAaaA8/view?usp=sharing

16 hours ago, Nagysziszmo said:

My scatterer's ocean not working!:mad:

Please read the post immediately above yours for some sage guidance.  It's often worthwhile to read the last couple of pages in a thread to get a feel for current issues or valuable assistance.

You haven't given people much to work on with that problem description.  I'm pretty sure others have experienced something similar but it's hard to tell from what you've written.  Have you searched this thread for potential solutions?  To help with a diagnosis, I recommend you read and follow the suggestions in this post to get a rough idea of what you should probably provide when describing any KSP issue.