[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

2 minutes ago, Naeth Kerman said:

There's like a grainy after-image outline that lingers for a few seconds

A screenshot would clear some thing up, but I think that what you're seeing is the blurriness of the TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing). Disable TAA in scatterer options and see if the problem persist

KSP: 1.12.3 Windows 64bit

Problem: Newest version of Scatterer just refuses to work. Tested on clean install as well as with mods and it doesn't work. The menu shows up but nothing else works.

Mods installed: Breaking Ground DLC, JNSQ, Kopernicus, and dependencies

Reproduction steps:

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucfa9mjbb6vtxgq/KSP.log?dl=0

I don't have an output log, only a KSP.log

7 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Problem: Newest version of Scatterer just refuses to work. Tested on clean install as well as with mods and it doesn't work. The menu shows up but nothing else works.

Reproduction steps:

Are there any scatterer configs?

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

What do you mean by that? There's a folder in Scatterer called config which has stuff in it.

It doesn't look like there are any planet configs, so check that folder, or check you don't have any modulemanager configs deleting them.

If you could just test a fresh install with no mods apart from scatterer, and if you're using ckan make sure you get the configs not just the plugin.

Edited by blackrack

4 minutes ago, blackrack said:

It doesn't look like there are any planet configs, so check that folder, or check you don't have any modulemanager configs deleting them.

If you could just test a fresh install with no mods apart from scatterer, and if you're using ckan make sure you get the configs not just the configs.

Ah, yeah, the configs are there. I'll do a fresh install tomorrow with nothing but Scatterer and I'll let you know what happens, cheers.

8 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Reproduction steps:

I think I read somewhere that JNSQ is incompatible with the latest scatterer, but it can work if you do some extra steps

Check this comment for more info

13 minutes ago, Forked Camphor said:

I think I read somewhere that JNSQ is incompatible with the latest scatterer, but it can work if you do some extra steps

Check this comment for more info

In that case do you think I should just try the previous version? I'll give that a go now actually.

2 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

In that case do you think I should just try the previous version? I'll give that a go now actually.

Yes, and/or try what Blackrack said, remove all mods and try only with scatterer and dependencies

On 9/25/2022 at 3:09 PM, blackrack said:

Which resolution do you run the game at and is this with or without any antialiasing methods?

Game is runing on native resolution for me so that will be 1920x1080, with 2x antialiasing set in game and application control in Nvidia control panel, Scatterer TAA is turned off.
Sorry for the late reply.
Here i took a Max settings screen capture in case its needed.
vOuen05.png

On 9/25/2022 at 6:46 AM, Naeth Kerman said:

Is there meant to be a grainy look to the highlight when I hover over one of the buildings in the space center view?

Think that is because Scatterer is using Temporal Anti-aliasing it tends to cause that, i noticed it too before i had turned it off now its gone.
AOhBpA2.png

Super sampling Anti-aliasing
hRImIWv.png
Temporal Anti-aliasing

Edited by Vphurple Izumi

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

When playing a RSS/RO/RP-1 game, I am having some lag and a sound loop when a planet (it's atmosphere?) is getting loaded/unloaded on the map screen and tracking station. So when zooming in onto a planet from far away. This is a little bit annoying when planing interplanetary nodes and often switch between planets. One always thinks the game is crashing. If  you check the clip, you maybe understand what I mean. Help.

This problem seems to be gone, when disabling "EVE cloud integration" in scatterer. However, then we are back to the black clouds. :(

I am trying to find an other config option, which maybe lowers some quality and get rid of the lag/sound loop on atmosphere loading, but I didn't find one, yet.

Does anyone maybe already has a solution to this problem or maybe has an idea, what I need to lower to minimize this lag?  This is driving me crazy a little bit.

BR
Jebs_SY

Edited by Jebs_SY

12 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Hello everyone.

When playing a RSS/RO/RP-1 game, I am having some lag and a sound loop when a planet (it's atmosphere?) is getting loaded/unloaded on the map screen and tracking station. So when zooming in onto a planet from far away. This is a little bit annoying when planing interplanetary nodes and often switch between planets. One always thinks the game is crashing. If  you check the clip, you maybe understand what I mean. Help.

This problem seems to be gone, when disabling "EVE cloud integration" in scatterer. However, then we are back to the black clouds. :(

I am trying to find an other config option, which maybe lowers some quality and get rid of the lag/sound loop on atmosphere loading, but I didn't find one, yet.

Does anyone maybe already has a solution to this problem or maybe has an idea, what I need to lower to minimize this lag?  This is driving me crazy a little bit.

BR
Jebs_SY

Some loading time is normal and it depends on your specs. You can make the planets load from farther away if you wish to minimize this, in every planet's atmo config (what the .cfg file used box displays in the bottom) there are load/unload distances you can tweak, not much else you can do. I've never seen the sound loop like this in KSP but I wouldn't say it's uncommon for sound buffers to loop until they are fed the next piece, this happens a lot in emulation especially.

Loading could be made async but I see no real need to do it.

Edited by blackrack

Both Scatterer and TUFX's temporal anti-aliasing implementations do something very weird with the internal nozzle glow effect on Restock engines. There's a weird black flickering effect. I mentioned it on the Restock thread already. Nertea suggested to disable Scatterer's TAA, and that fixed it. TUFX's TAA also did the same exact thing, on its own.

Very odd.

1 hour ago, GNO-SYS said:

Both Scatterer and TUFX's temporal anti-aliasing implementations do something very weird with the internal nozzle glow effect on Restock engines. There's a weird black flickering effect. I mentioned it on the Restock thread already. Nertea suggested to disable Scatterer's TAA, and that fixed it. TUFX's TAA also did the same exact thing, on its own. Very odd.

I have no clue what causes this as all the other transparencies work correctly. My only guess would be that the glow effect sets its own projection matrix and not using the camera one which is modified by TAA.

On 10/9/2022 at 10:40 PM, blackrack said:

Some loading time is normal and it depends on your specs. You can make the planets load from farther away if you wish to minimize this, in every planet's atmo config (what the .cfg file used box displays in the bottom) there are load/unload distances you can tweak, not much else you can do. I've never seen the sound loop like this in KSP but I wouldn't say it's uncommon for sound buffers to loop until they are fed the next piece, this happens a lot in emulation especially.

Loading could be made async but I see no real need to do it.

Hello @blackrack,

async loading would be absolutely great, if this also solves the sound loop, but I can see, that you have enough other things to do.
It seems, when I disable (a)"Integrate effects with EVE clouds", the lag is gone, but also the whole sky is black. Do you maybe have a starting direction for me, what I need to adopt, to get back a blue sky with (a) disabled?
I tried to search for what I need to change, to make the sky blue again, but haven't found a good starting point, yet...

BR
Jebs_SY

9 minutes ago, Carni35 said:

Hello !

I have these strange geomtrical ''shadows'' which are moving while rotate my camera around the rocket.

Is there a workaround or a setting to change to get ride of this ? 

Thangs for your hep :) 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sMKC8vFTDeXIMRtxJgyV70wev-hRq-4G?usp=sharing

Probably an issue with godrays, try disabling them.

7 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Hello @blackrack,

async loading would be absolutely great, if this also solves the sound loop, but I can see, that you have enough other things to do.
It seems, when I disable (a)"Integrate effects with EVE clouds", the lag is gone, but also the whole sky is black. Do you maybe have a starting direction for me, what I need to adopt, to get back a blue sky with (a) disabled?
I tried to search for what I need to change, to make the sky blue again, but haven't found a good starting point, yet...

BR
Jebs_SY

Just keep the EVE integration enabled, the clouds are probably configured for it so will look off/dark without it.

Рассеиватель на JNSQ добавляет облака, но они приходят в полосе 2D. Так должно быть? Или я что-то не так делаю?
JNSQ+ EVE +Scatterer, последние версии

For example, here you can see "seam"

JKXEvplufHZIn0CSaoUW1T8fkmc583hfzLUOodpU

And the very two-dimensionality of the clouds

s4hpD5b7r50fsLiTKYqbJu_V_mmO0awpl3ba12aw

Edited by gooh12

Рассеиватель на JNSQ добавляет облака, но они приходят в полосе 2D. Так должно быть? Или я что-то не так делаю?

The diffuser on the JNSQ adds clouds, but they come in a 2D band. That is how it should be? Or am I doing something wrong?
JNSQ+ EVE + Scatterer, latest versions

Please remember to post in English outside the specific language sections please.

46 minutes ago, gooh12 said:

For example, here you can see "seam"

And the very two-dimensionality of the clouds

Please take this to JNSQ thread.

Hiya. I've had this issue since 0.772 (at least), and since it's still in 0.8 so I thought I'd ask about it. Steps to repro: just open scatterer settings from space center using blue ball icon. 

[EXC 08:17:05.535] ArgumentException: Getting control 3's position in a group with only 3 controls when doing repaint

Call stack has these guys in it:

scatterer.MainOptionsGUI.DrawQualityPresets () (at <684aa87c0d2345f8a9e4739403f4afff>:0)
    scatterer.MainOptionsGUI.DrawOptionsMenu () (at <684aa87c0d2345f8a9e4739403f4afff>:0)
    scatterer.GUIhandler.DrawScattererWindow (System.Int32 windowId) (at <684aa87c0d2345f8a9e4739403f4afff>:0)

Full log here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B0Lj1t8ukVlmknyqNuppxIMy2H5KVeRt?usp=sharing  and error is right at the bottom - I opened settings, got the error, then flushed the log and uploaded it.

Thanks for any info!

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
typos

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hiya. I've had this issue since 0.772 (at least), and since it's still in 0.8 so I thought I'd ask about it. Steps to repro: just open scatterer settings from space center using blue ball icon. 

[EXC 08:17:05.535] ArgumentException: Getting control 3's position in a group with only 3 controls when doing repaint

Call stack has these guys in it:

scatterer.MainOptionsGUI.DrawQualityPresets () (at <684aa87c0d2345f8a9e4739403f4afff>:0)
    scatterer.MainOptionsGUI.DrawOptionsMenu () (at <684aa87c0d2345f8a9e4739403f4afff>:0)
    scatterer.GUIhandler.DrawScattererWindow (System.Int32 windowId) (at <684aa87c0d2345f8a9e4739403f4afff>:0)

Full log here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B0Lj1t8ukVlmknyqNuppxIMy2H5KVeRt?usp=sharing  and error is right at the bottom - I opened settings, got the error, then flushed the log and uploaded it.

Thanks for any info!

Does this break anything?