[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

3 hours ago, Svm420 said:

Is it as hard as the work he is doing? Maybe contribute to his funds or just keep your complaints to yourself They do not encourage.

So saying "waiting is hard" and "your stuff is amazing" is complaining? Ok. 

anyways, just to be clear I don't consider my idea a critical feature but if it's possible to do and something that could be added to the "cool features" list to be implemented at some point down the road, awesome. Keep up the great work

Edited by Gaiiden

Alright, I'm uploading a new version with the sky reflections on the ocean, ocean-lights compatibility and the less-artifacty horizon line. The ocean should also no longer disappear in supersampled screenshots and the issue with the ocean kind of flickering/bobbing when you move the camera appears to be gone or lessened, though I'm not sure so i'll wait for your feedback. 

The sky reflections might look a bit grainy, as if they had a noise effect overlayed on, this isn't an intentional effect and appears to be some kind of sampling artifact.

The lights compatibility has a big performance hit when you turn the lights on, even when they're not directly lighting the ocean but in proximity to it, this performance hit might be fixed in the future, in the meantime if you can't stand it you can disable it from the main menu.

I've also moved the fourierGridSize option to the main menu as lots of people don't realize turning it down can improve the ocean performance a lot on low-end machines.

1 hour ago, Gaiiden said:

anyways, just to be clear I don't consider my idea a critical feature but if it's possible to do and something that could be added to the "cool features" list to be implemented at some point down the road, awesome. Keep up the great work

I will keep it in mind.

Edited by blackrack

KSP build id = 01209 x64
Scatterer v1.0.5939.25400 + CompiledAtmosphericScatter.shader extra file use what fix horizon dots
Eve: v1.5.5947.21203 (last 3 3 days ago release)
Stock Visual Enhancements v0.5.8 Ultra Resolution
DistantObject v1.7.0.19328
AmbientLightAdjustment v2.5.6.3
PlanetShine v1.0.5938.30099
txdxQBa.png

Scatterer v1.0.5950.42969 (0244)
3Dvle21.png

Some conclusion after simple test, more i will doo after i will get some sleep: Log are clean from you side from new release, I not succed to get any improve performance FPS nether less or more, i will try to doo more test later remove more mods, make diferite combination between them, RAM it use let say more ~100 not such big deal, CPU near same
Single thing what i can say i not like is new release it have more gray''ish horizon, water & that you can see just looking from this 2 picture what i post
Sleepy salute

24 minutes ago, Blacks said:

KSP build id = 01209 x64
Scatterer v1.0.5939.25400 + CompiledAtmosphericScatter.shader extra file use what fix horizon dots

Scatterer v1.0.5950.42969 (0244)

Some conclusion after simple test, more i will doo after i will get some sleep: Log are clean from you side from new release, I not succed to get any improve performance FPS nether less or more, i will try to doo more test later remove more mods, make diferite combination between them, RAM it use let say more ~100 not such big deal, CPU near same
Single thing what i can say i not like is new release it have more gray''ish horizon, water & that you can see just looking from this 2 picture what i post
Sleepy salute

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. If you don't like the new reflections you can disable them, and have you tried it near sunset/sunrise?

I would also like to say id like to see some kind of variance from day to day. Some sort of variable opacity/hue mist layer that randomizes from a narrow range of gentle settings every time you load the flight scene. Enough to colour sunrise and sunset slightly and on some days details on mountains visible from ksc while other days portions of the mountains have vanished into the mist.

5 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

Could someone post some screenshots of evian sunset with the latest tweaks?

evian.jpg

oh you meant this... :sticktongue:

AckHorX.png

And here is a little something from LaytheFBKP2Co.png

@blackrack you were kidding about the performance drop with the lights. I went from 80fps to 22fps! Still,  I love it though.  So great

Edited by Berlin

14 hours ago, blackrack said:

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. If you don't like the new reflections you can disable them, and have you tried it near sunset/sunrise?

i am speaking about image / render in older version is more cleaner, more brighter with a clean blue water & with out gray''ish in same condition & that thing it become much worse if zoom or angle camera it goo there, for Sunset / Sunrise i was try at that hour a specific save but i was not post anything coz i want to doo a proper test :wink:
AVeWFfG.png

Update: I succeed to indentifie who bring that ugly gray segment & make image suffer lose brightness, contrast, clarity = Ocean: Accurate sky reflection <<<< this if is disable it make water to be agen nice :wink:
Light & Water reflection are fraaaaaaaking amaaaazing for that i working to make a recording :P noo mater i know my damn video card is .... :P

Edited by Blacks

Hey @blackrack, loving the new update. Those reflections are amazing work :)

One small bug I have noticed however that I have not noticed in previous versions is that the ocean appears to move in the opposite direction to where the camera is moved. If I look up the ocean moves down, and if I look down the ocean moves up. Now I did simultaneously update to build 1215 and the latest version of scatterer so that might have changed things.

Spoiler

7rPtmse.pngcdCf9KC.png

I read the OP where there is mentioned that the water might be bugged out. I also searched this topic to no avail so maybe I am simply out of luck, but I have an issue using Scatterer 0.0244 with the EVE prerelease (AnyCPU-EVE). By themselves either will work as expected but when i combine them the water disappears/turns transparent. I'm sorry to waste anyone's time if the problem is obvious.

Spoiler

2TGUkX3.png

9 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

How would one change the color of Eve's ocean in such a way that it would be silver/gray instead of purple?

what you see there is new reflection add by new release = depending on where the sun is + reflection of clouds in the water (this part it have some issue from what i see at list on my side) + if it is add some light sources what came from the ship => is an explosion of colors
short conclusion @blackrack was push game to next lvl > crazy immersion < :cool::0.0::o

Just now, Blacks said:

what you see there is new reflection add by new release = depending on where the sun is + reflection of clouds in the water (this part it have some issue from what i see at list on my side) + if it is add some light sources what came from the ship => is an explosion of colors
short conclusion @blackrack was push game to next lvl > crazy immersion < :cool::0.0::o

No. I am trying to make the color of Eve's ocean silver. In 1.0.5. Nothing at all to do with the new reflections.

Hmm about that i am not expert but me i will look in scatterer\config\Eve\ for Settings.cfg & OceanSettings.cfg

& i will try to play with this value:

Spoiler

m_betaR = 0.0578,0.02354,0.07344
m_mieG = 0.85
rimBlend = 20
rimpower = 600
specR = 50
specG = 50
specB = 50
shininess = 30

witch one is correct one, i not know to say

hope it will help

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

No. I am trying to make the color of Eve's ocean silver. In 1.0.5. Nothing at all to do with the new reflections.

Try changing the oceanUpwellingColor variable, this mostly affects the refracted color though, meaning the color you see when looking straight down at the ocean from above. In 1.0.5 (or when the sky reflections are disabled), the reflected color on the ocean is taken from the sky, but might be off a little bit, it's baked in the irradiance.raw/.half file and only the ocean uses this file at the moment, if you generate a new config with a gray sky in the config tool, then replace only the irradiance.raw file in your scatterer folder with the new one you generated, I think it should work.

4 hours ago, SilentWindOfDoom said:

I read the OP where there is mentioned that the water might be bugged out. I also searched this topic to no avail so maybe I am simply out of luck, but I have an issue using Scatterer 0.0244 with the EVE prerelease (AnyCPU-EVE). By themselves either will work as expected but when i combine them the water disappears/turns transparent. I'm sorry to waste anyone's time if the problem is obvious.

Reveal hidden contents

2TGUkX3.png

Can you check the log for issues? Can you check if it works fine with 0.0242 and the new EVE? Could be a command buffer conflict.

4 hours ago, Chimer4 said:

Hey @blackrack, loving the new update. Those reflections are amazing work :)

One small bug I have noticed however that I have not noticed in previous versions is that the ocean appears to move in the opposite direction to where the camera is moved. If I look up the ocean moves down, and if I look down the ocean moves up. Now I did simultaneously update to build 1215 and the latest version of scatterer so that might have changed things.

Reveal hidden contents

7rPtmse.pngcdCf9KC.png

Hmm, this is weird, does this not happen in 0.0242?

8 hours ago, Blacks said:

i am speaking about image / render in older version is more cleaner, more brighter with a clean blue water & with out gray''ish in same condition & that thing it become much worse if zoom or angle camera it goo there, for Sunset / Sunrise i was try at that hour a specific save but i was not post anything coz i want to doo a proper test :wink:

Update: I succeed to indentifie who bring that ugly gray segment & make image suffer lose brightness, contrast, clarity = Ocean: Accurate sky reflection <<<< this if is disable it make water to be agen nice :wink:
Light & Water reflection are fraaaaaaaking amaaaazing for that i working to make a recording :P noo mater i know my damn video card is .... :P

Yeah at some times of day the reflections might still look weird, not sure if I can do anything for it atm.

15 hours ago, Berlin said:

oh you meant this... :sticktongue:

And here is a little something from Laythe

@blackrack you were kidding about the performance drop with the lights. I went from 80fps to 22fps! Still,  I love it though.  So great

Yeah, the performance hit is pretty ridiculous at the moment, the ocean is basically being completely re-rendered from scratch for every light source, which is totally inefficient but it's how forward rendering works. I might be able to get rid of this performance hit though, but it will take some tinkering.

2 hours ago, Blacks said:

Clouds aren't supposed to reflect on the water btw, only the sky.

Edited by blackrack

@blackrackI don't remember ever seeing it before, although on further testing, it seems related to the field of view (alt+scroll) of the camera. I first noticed when flying a plane in IVA and I zoomed out to get a better view and all of a sudden I saw the ocean moving when I moved the camera. It seems that any FOV other than the default FOV seems to cause this effect.

I take a quite a few screenshots whilst playing at diffenet FOVs and have no recollection of seeing it before. 

14 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I don't care if you ever implement this but cloud reflection would be neat guess.  Not necessary but neat. sea-sky-water-clouds.jpg

That's probably some next level stuff I can imagine.

14 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Yeah, the performance hit is pretty ridiculous at the moment, the ocean is basically being completely re-rendered from scratch for every light source, which is totally inefficient but it's how forward rendering works. I might be able to get rid of this performance hit though, but it will take some tinkering. 

I went ahead and over clocked my GPU and CPU and I'm getting about 36 fps with the lights now which is pretty great 

Edited by Berlin

30 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Yeah at some times of day the reflections might still look weird, not sure if I can do anything for it atm.

Well that weird reflection at this point it can be deal, for who want, just disabling > Ocean: Accurate sky reflection < is not a big deal turn off that vs effect what it cause

Performance ooooo mamaaa (johnny bravo voice style) it will hit hard any power full rig !!!!! but not only becouse what you was implement, witch is a great achievement !!! push pc to much ... becouse KSP it self at this point it need more optimization to, we are at beginning of looong road with this new unity 5 implementation ... 256 setting for light!!! nop i was not brave to want see my rig explode :D. Anyway i know from old experience when i work with 3d max light & shadow was most pain in <use imagination> when was need to be use to create animation or ... i remeber old time when i let pc to work 2,3 day to render image in Bryce :wink:

Anyway very nice i was play all day just flying in night or morning above water & i was love it!!!!

p.s. Clouds aren't supposed to reflect on the water  < if not then you have new goal :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

After tweaking my overclock I'm getting almost a constant 50+ fps  with the lights on. :D45M9bPf.png

Also, it might not be intended but landing in the terminator looks an awful like a storm is moving in. pretty awesomeEjw7zkZ.png

4 hours ago, Berlin said:

After tweaking my overclock I'm getting almost a constant 50+ fps  with the lights on. :D

Also, it might not be intended but landing in the terminator looks an awful like a storm is moving in. pretty awesome

Careful not to fry your GPU :P

And on the second screen it looks like you're landing at the edge of an eclipse actually and not a terminator.

9 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Careful not to fry your GPU :P

And on the second screen it looks like you're landing at the edge of an eclipse actually and not a terminator.

Eh not even close to frying it :)  stays around 60°c I'm too afraid to push it very hard.  

And I don't remember exactly if it was a terminator or eclipse it just looked cool. That's all that matters right? 

13 hours ago, blackrack said:

Can you check the log for issues? Can you check if it works fine with 0.0242 and the new EVE? Could be a command buffer conflict.

I redownloaded anyCPU-EVE, I wasn't aware the prerelease version had been updated due to the lack of an apparent version number. But I can confirm 0.0244 works properly with the latest version of the prerelease of EVE for me now.

Thanks for this great mod.