[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

1 minute ago, Hatura said:

No, I forgot to say scatterer wasnt working. I'm just having problems with anti aliasing.

Oh OK.  I know dx11 doesn't work currently unless something recently changed. Have you tried disabling anti aliasing in game and forcing it through your GPU? 

Edited by Berlin

6 hours ago, sDaZe said:

Hey @blackrack 

Is there any way just to make the blue outline of the atmosphere more predominate without extending the atmosphere higher? 

You could try making the edge brighter through rimExposure. If you just want to make it higher the only way is to make the atmosphere higher.

@blackrack or anyone who has experience with this, what is the better technique to apply to hide the tall terrain poking through the Scatterer 'sphere' on the horizon?

This can be 'fudged' by increasing the AtmosphereGlobalScale value so that the sphere size increases, masking the terrain; however, at surface level things get really funky. I have enclosed screenshot showing the views from Orbit and Surface with AtmosphereGlobalScale values of 1.00 and 1.02.

With the scale value of 1.02 the horizon at Surface level gets borked. Is there a way to keep it at 1.00 but make the mountainous terrain on the horizon from orbital levels?

34 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

@blackrack or anyone who has experience with this, what is the better technique to apply to hide the tall terrain poking through the Scatterer 'sphere' on the horizon?

This can be 'fudged' by increasing the AtmosphereGlobalScale value so that the sphere size increases, masking the terrain; however, at surface level things get really funky. I have enclosed screenshot showing the views from Orbit and Surface with AtmosphereGlobalScale values of 1.00 and 1.02.

With the scale value of 1.02 the horizon at Surface level gets borked. Is there a way to keep it at 1.00 but make the mountainous terrain on the horizon from orbital levels?

The reason this happens in the first place is because of the "draw atmo on top of eve clouds" option which makes things look coherent (especially at the terminators), however it results in issues over the mountains and other terrain features. No proper way to fix at themoment until the scattering effects are integrated directly in the EVE clouds, I was working on this a while back and when I have free time I will resume work on it. See here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip11-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00244-17042016-11-compatible-faster-loading/&do=findComment&comment=2503840

Edited by blackrack

16 hours ago, blackrack said:

Thanks man.

What does this atmosphericExtra shader do? Is it part of Kopernicus? What is the conflict exactly?

The stock game can use three or four different shaders for terrains, each one of them with different properties. Kopernicus allows me to choose one and modify the materialTypes in the surfaces of the planets acording to the possibilities of the used shader.

I was using the most "advanced" between those shaders ("PQS Main - Optimised"). The materialType in this shader had the possibility of use four different combinations of texture+bumpmap in each body, and I was using it to enhance the terrains in KSPRC.

In the 1.1 version, with the change to Unity5, this shader was "nerfed" by Squad so now it have just one bump map texture available, instead four, as before. So I was not able to show my enhanced terrains.

Fortunately @NathanKell has re-added the capabilities of that "old" shader in the 1.1.2 version, under the name "PQS Main - Extras". I can choose that shader again with Kopernicus, setting the materialType as "AtmosphericExtra".

Sumarizing: I have my terrains again like in the 1.0.5 version of KSP, but Scatterer seems to have now some kind of problem with the layers. Some terrains appears above the post-process of Scatterer and the debug is spaming this at every load...

vfE0Pd1.jpg

Seems not caused by "draw atmo on top of eve clouds", but I'm still checking if any of this is my fault in any way, before take more of your time. :wink:

Edited by Proot

5 hours ago, Proot said:

The stock game can use three or four different shaders for terrains, each one of them with different properties. Kopernicus allows me to choose one and modify the materialTypes in the surfaces of the planets acording to the possibilities of the used shader.

I was using the most "advanced" between those shaders ("PQS Main - Optimised"). The materialType in this shader had the possibility of use four different combinations of texture+bumpmap in each body, and I was using it to enhance the terrains in KSPRC.

In the 1.1 version, with the change to Unity5, this shader was "nerfed" by Squad so now it have just one bump map texture available, instead four, as before. So I was not able to show my enhanced terrains.

Fortunately @NathanKell has re-added the capabilities of that "old" shader in the 1.1.2 version, under the name "PQS Main - Extras". I can choose that shader again with Kopernicus, setting the materialType as "AtmosphericExtra".

Sumarizing: I have my terrains again like in the 1.0.5 version of KSP, but Scatterer seems to have now some kind of problem with the layers. Some terrains appears above the post-process of Scatterer and the debug is spaming this at every load...

Seems not caused by "draw atmo on top of eve clouds", but I'm still checking if any of this is my fault in any way, before take more of your time. :wink:

Ah yes, that's just the shader not having the "opaque" tag, and so, getting ignored by the custom depth buffer. Originally, in 1.1 all the terrain shaders don't have the opaque tag, I iterate through them and add the tag to make them work with scatterer. The fix as simple as adding "PQS Main - Extras" to the list I'm modifying, I'll have it fixed in next update.

@blackrack I'm testing out the current Scatterer and EVE (using RVE's configs for EVE but not for Scatterer) in RSS. And I've hit some...weirdness.

My apologies if these are known issues; as you might imagine I've had my head buried quite a bit recently. :D

But there do seem to be three (or maybe two, maybe the first and second images are linked) issues here. The first is that weird shadow-ray. It's only generated behind parts rendered on Camera 01 (when zoomed in, i.e. within Camera 00's clip distance, it doesn't appear). The second is the odd night-side stuff. The third is that procedural tanks and procedural fairings seem to get treated like they are the planet's surface. Is that to do with the opaque tag stuff?

Hello!

It is marked as a resolved issue in the changelist, but currently I am still getting strange flickering with the coastline whenever I move the camera.

I have Kopernicus, OPM and EVE installed as well. Tried removing EVE, but the flickering was still there. Maybe something is conflicting with the ocean shaders from Kopernicus?

Anyway, does anybody else still have this issue? I'll try maybe doing completely fresh install with only scatterer installed a bit later. Currently running 64-bit with no openGL or DX11 forced.

Despite a few problems, this is still an awesome visual mod. Absolutely stunning work! =)

5 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@blackrack I'm testing out the current Scatterer and EVE (using RVE's configs for EVE but not for Scatterer) in RSS. And I've hit some...weirdness.

My apologies if these are known issues; as you might imagine I've had my head buried quite a bit recently. :D

But there do seem to be three (or maybe two, maybe the first and second images are linked) issues here. The first is that weird shadow-ray. It's only generated behind parts rendered on Camera 01 (when zoomed in, i.e. within Camera 00's clip distance, it doesn't appear). The second is the odd night-side stuff. The third is that procedural tanks and procedural fairings seem to get treated like they are the planet's surface. Is that to do with the opaque tag stuff?

The first issue is more of a limitation of the godray technique used, the only fix atm is to disable godrays. For the second one just hit "rebuild ocean" in the scatterer UI. For the third one I'm not sure, it depends if procedural tanks uses it's own material or some other material that doesn't have the opaque tag, if it's indeed the case it shouldn't happen with the near camera and should only happen with the far/01 camera.

1 hour ago, Joonatanr said:

Hello!

It is marked as a resolved issue in the changelist, but currently I am still getting strange flickering with the coastline whenever I move the camera.

I have Kopernicus, OPM and EVE installed as well. Tried removing EVE, but the flickering was still there. Maybe something is conflicting with the ocean shaders from Kopernicus?

Anyway, does anybody else still have this issue? I'll try maybe doing completely fresh install with only scatterer installed a bit later. Currently running 64-bit with no openGL or DX11 forced.

Despite a few problems, this is still an awesome visual mod. Absolutely stunning work! =)

Well, there are two different flickering issues, try setting the near plane value in main menu to a higher value, if that doesn't fix it then it can't be fixed at the moment.

43 minutes ago, Hikari_or_whatever said:

When I go into the cockpit the ocean moves depending on where i move my camera. And when i open the alt+f9/f10 menus, i cant click anything or exit it, the little bar at the top just appears and goes away on mouse clicks and pressing the keys again

Try pressing "rebuild ocean". If you can't click anything in the UI it might be that the UI is set higher than your screen height, try lowering the scroll section height value from main menu scatterer menu.

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

@blackrack thank you, I will try that. And yes, I believe it's just the far cam for the last one. Is there any way to override those opaque flags on your end too?

Yes, unity 5 added Material.SetOverrideTag which allows anyone to override these easily. I do this for the terrain shaders on scene load. If you find out the name of the problematic shader I could add it to the list.

Apologies in advance if this is known issue (I suspect it might be issue #6 in the known issues section).

I'm getting a weird effect when I return to KSC from a flight. the sky is black and the water effects are gone entirely. Here is an imgur album of the effect with scatterer installed, and without it installed.  http://imgur.com/a/mzpR3

Again, sorry if this is the stated effect in the known issues section! If it isn't, I'll be happy to upload a log file & provide more information.

Thanks for all the hard work, and I appreciate any responses!

I read earlier that Scatterer is intentionally disabled in the Tracking Station. I was wondering if there was a setting to have it enabled there as well (the atmospheric scattering, the sunflares, and the reduced ambient space lighting). 

The Tracking Station can be a cool place to take a visual tour of the solar system and it would be great to enable the enhanced visual settings while in it. 

16 hours ago, nerf_hurrdurr said:

Apologies in advance if this is known issue (I suspect it might be issue #6 in the known issues section).

I'm getting a weird effect when I return to KSC from a flight. the sky is black and the water effects are gone entirely. Here is an imgur album of the effect with scatterer installed, and without it installed.  http://imgur.com/a/mzpR3

Again, sorry if this is the stated effect in the known issues section! If it isn't, I'll be happy to upload a log file & provide more information.

Thanks for all the hard work, and I appreciate any responses!

It is indeed the issue you saw, not sure what causes it but just ignore it an launch a craft and it should fix itself.

1 hour ago, VonFrank said:

I read earlier that Scatterer is intentionally disabled in the Tracking Station. I was wondering if there was a setting to have it enabled there as well (the atmospheric scattering, the sunflares, and the reduced ambient space lighting). 

The Tracking Station can be a cool place to take a visual tour of the solar system and it would be great to enable the enhanced visual settings while in it. 

Since the move to 1.1, loading atmospheres is much faster and only takes a split second, technically there shouldn't be any reason to have effects disabled in tracking station anymore, I'm planning to enable it back, but have to change a few things there and add null checks for PQS since tracking station has no PQS.

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for all the hard work you put into modding. I just finished my latest cinematic and it is a thousand times better because of your mod. Your modding efforts have allowed my creative vision to really take shape better than I could ever hope for. Thank you again and keep up the hard work